PDA

View Full Version : Bills Coaching oopsies this week

Skooby
10-21-2013, 08:04 AM
I think we should let the team know where the coaches made some errors, so I'll start: When we were punting with about 3:40 left in the 4th quarter, it took our team about 30 or more seconds to run the play. If you're down & trying to save clock, that's unacceptable.

When the Bills kicked the go ahead FG near the end of the 4th quarter, there was 34 seconds left on the clock to start & after the FG went through there was 33 seconds left. Talk about home field clock management advantage, Buffalo should of talked to the ref & had that checked as well.

Thief
10-21-2013, 08:29 AM
How about passing near the end of the first half instead of running and giving the Fins time to come back and score a TD. I think Marrone even said a presser earlier this year that he should have ran in that situation. More-so up by 10 on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah, that punt time was seriously pissing me off. I was screaming "Why are you not hurrying!!!"

better days
10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
I think we should let the team know where the coaches made some errors, so I'll start: When we were punting with about 3:40 left in the 4th quarter, it took our team about 30 or more seconds to run the play. If you're down & trying to save clock, that's unacceptable.

When the Bills kicked the go ahead FG near the end of the 4th quarter, there was 34 seconds left on the clock to start & after the FG went through there was 33 seconds left. Talk about home field clock management advantage, Buffalo should of talked to the ref & had that checked as well.

The Bills can't control the clock, no question it is a home field advantage.

better days
10-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Marrone is a ROOKIE. He has made some mistakes, but I think overall he is doing a damn good job.

And I think he will prove to be the best Coach the Bills have had since Wade before the year is over.

PTI
10-21-2013, 08:40 AM
The Bills still cannot tackle, I just don't get it.

Leonard out there should be as a last resort, he should not be playing.

jamze132
10-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Not sure what the deal was with the short kickoff after we took the lead with 35 sec to go. I hope that wasn't by design.

jdaltroy5
10-21-2013, 08:43 AM
The throwing at the end of the first half pissed me off.

I understand wanting to be aggressive in certain situations, but that wasn't one of them.

Take the lead and the momentum into the locker room.

Also, if that was a designed short kickoff, then that is just inexplicably stupid.

Kick it out of the endzone every time in that situation, ESPECIALLY given our track record with Special Teams.

ServoBillieves
10-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Does the team read this page or care? Awesome I'm sure we'll get to them loud and clear! I will point out that they actually had some great clock control in certain situations where if they didnt people here would be freaking out. But hey we're Bills fans.

better days
10-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Not sure what the deal was with the short kickoff after we took the lead with 35 sec to go. I hope that wasn't by design.

No, it was not by design. Carpenter just had a bad kick. Lucky he saved the day by pushing the return man out of bounds.

jdaltroy5
10-21-2013, 08:48 AM
No, it was not by design. Carpenter just had a bad kick. Lucky he saved the day by pushing the return man out of bounds.
Did Marrone come out and say that?

better days
10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Did Marrone come out and say that?

Yes, and so did Carpenter.

I think it is in the Audio Vault on WGR 55.

ICRockets
10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
They put time back on the clock for the FG. It was at 36 seconds when we kicked it, so the play took 3 seconds.

jdaltroy5
10-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Yes, and so did Carpenter.
That is good to know.

The only mess up that I saw was the poor clock management at the end of the first half.

At least he admitted to making a mistake on that one.

better days
10-21-2013, 08:57 AM
That is good to know.

The only mess up that I saw was the poor clock management at the end of the first half.

At least he admitted to making a mistake on that one.

I like that Marrone his staff & the players are all accountable.

You never hear anymore BS like "Well, it's hard to win in the NFL."

No kidding Dick, it is a hard job to win & Dick was not man enough for the job, he Coached to not lose.

Finally the Bills have a HC that is prepared for the hard job of winning & gives no excuses when he & the team fall short.

pmoon6
10-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Marrone is a ROOKIE. He has made some mistakes, but I think overall he is doing a damn good job.

And I think he will prove to be the best Coach the Bills have had since Wade before the year is over.You actually have to give Marrone and his staff props for being 3-4 and losing other games by 7 points or less. He's doing it with mostly unproven players and we have suffered some key injuries.

Of course, unless a coach calls a perfect game he opens himself up to criticism from guys sitting on their couch eating potato chips and drinking beer.

Those who can't do...criticize.

better days
10-21-2013, 09:11 AM
You actually have to give Marrone and his staff props for being 3-4 and losing other games by 7 points or less. He's doing it with mostly unproven players and we have suffered some key injuries.

Of course, unless a coach calls a perfect game he opens himself up to criticism from guys sitting on their couch eating potato chips and drinking beer.

Those who can't do...criticize.

I think we are seeing the difference good coaching can make this year.

And the young Bills fans have NEVER seen good coaching in their lives. Until now.

jdaltroy5
10-21-2013, 09:17 AM
You actually have to give Marrone and his staff props for being 3-4 and losing other games by 7 points or less. He's doing it with mostly unproven players and we have suffered some key injuries.

Those who can't do...criticize.Yeah, unless he does coach a perfect game, he's open to criticism.

That's what you sign up for when you sign your multi-million dollar contract for one of the most highly public jobs in the world.

No one is saying that he should be fired or that he didn't coach a good game, but if you mess up, there's nothing wrong with people pointing out where he messed up.

pmoon6
10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Yeah, unless he does coach a perfect game, he's open to criticism.

That's what you sign up for when you sign your multi-million dollar contract for one of the most highly public jobs in the world.

No one is saying that he should be fired or that he didn't coach a good game, but if you mess up, there's nothing wrong with people pointing out where he messed up....in your opinion with less than all the facts of what went into the decision. It's also being looked at through the prism of 20/20 hindsight.

Jim Mora to the media after they tried to roast him after a loss.

"You think you know, but you really don't".

Forward_Lateral
10-21-2013, 09:22 AM
The kickoff at the end was my only complaint. Freddy getting that first down on the ground was huge too.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-21-2013, 09:26 AM
The throwing at the end of the first half pissed me off.

I understand wanting to be aggressive in certain situations, but that wasn't one of them.

Take the lead and the momentum into the locker room.

I actually don't have a problem with trying to score, much like they did in the first game against the Pats near the end.

Clearly Marrone's MO is "we are going to score points on you" and so far he has coached the team that way. Look around the league, good teams don't stop playing offense in the FIRST HALF with 2 min remaining no matter the score.

I don't mean this should always be the case. Good coaches adjust. But I want to put this in the context of a 1st year coach on a young team. I thought it was appropriate for me to install this identity on the team.

better days
10-21-2013, 09:26 AM
The kickoff at the end was my only complaint. Freddy getting that first down on the ground was huge too.

Carpenter had a bad kick, but I would blame it more on the coverage than the kick.

So far Easley has been the STAR of Special teams & there is no #2. We need BETTER Special Teams play.

better days
10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
I actually don't have a problem with trying to score, much like they did in the first game against the Pats near the end.

Clearly Marrone's MO is "we are going to score points on you" and so far he has coached the team that way. Look around the league, good teams don't stop playing offense in the FIRST HALF with 2 min remaining no matter the score.

I don't mean this should always be the case. Good coaches adjust. But I want to put this in the context of a 1st year coach on a young team. I thought it was appropriate for me to install this identity on the team.

I am with you 2 minutes is a LOT of time at the end of the half or the end of the game. I LOVE the fact Marrone & Pettine are both AGGRESSIVE.

And you don't see the Pats* milking the clock at the end of the half even if they are up by 30 points. They are going to try and make the lead 37 points going into the locker room at the half if they can.

jdaltroy5
10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
...in your opinion with less than all the facts of what went into the decision. It's also being looked at through the prism of 20/20 hindsight.
Of course it's my opinion. And what facts could I possibly be missing? They were up by ten on their own 23 with 1:47 to go on the road against a division opponent. Unless all of the RBs, their FB, and their QB refused to rush the ball, I don't know what facts could change the scenario.

The Bills offense wasn't even moving the ball that well up to that point and you have an undrafted guy making his 3rd career start.

And I'm not using hindsight, I was yelling at the TV while they were throwing the ball.

jdaltroy5
10-21-2013, 09:33 AM

I don't mean this should always be the case. Good coaches adjust. But I want to put this in the context of a 1st year coach on a young team. I thought it was appropriate for me to install this identity on the team.There have been certain situations where I was OK with them being aggressive. When they went for it on the 4th and goal last week for example.

However, when you're on the road against a division opponent and an UDFA making his third career start, I'm fine with killing the clock and taking momentum into the half.

pmoon6
10-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I was yelling at the TV Does Canadian Healthcare include free psychological counseling?

jdaltroy5
10-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Does Canadian Healthcare include free psychological counseling?
It comes standard with every Bills season ticket purchase.

Thief
10-21-2013, 09:38 AM
...in your opinion with less than all the facts of what went into the decision. It's also being looked at through the prism of 20/20 hindsight.

Jim Mora to the media after they tried to roast him after a loss.

"You think you know, but you really don't".None of my "complaints" were hindsight.

Skooby
10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
It comes standard with every Bills season ticket purchase.

LOL, everyone will have it soon with free happy pills.

Mr. Pink
10-21-2013, 10:23 AM
People keep crediting this coaching staff for keeping the team in every game, but why?

There's been games were the team could stomp on the throats of the opposition and don't.

Yesterday's game was a prime example of it, early 14-0 lead and instead of putting the Fish away, they allowed them to hang around, eventually giving up the lead and then having to get some luck and a nice Fred Jackson run to set up a game winning field goal.

Yesterday's game should have never come to that point.

PTI
10-21-2013, 10:32 AM
People keep crediting this coaching staff for keeping the team in every game, but why?

There's been games were the team could stomp on the throats of the opposition and don't.

Yesterday's game was a prime example of it, early 14-0 lead and instead of putting the Fish away, they allowed them to hang around, eventually giving up the lead and then having to get some luck and a nice Fred Jackson run to set up a game winning field goal.

I agree. Good points.

Up 10-0 against the Browns and were dominating and were playing against the backup QB who was not even dressed for the week before game.

Had 5 picks and had to hang on for dear life against the Ravens. Can't score from the 1 yard line against the Bengals and that could of cost us the game.

This coaching staff most certainly has not instilled anything close to resembling a killer instinct.

The Jets beat the snot out the Bills physically. Every game it looks like we do not tackle as well as the other team.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't fault them for trying to move the ball at the end of the half, these were Miami's drives up to that point.

Interception
3 and out
3 and out
Interception
TD
3 and out
Missed FG
3 and out

We were dominating Miami's offense and I think he was right to try to draw out the lead, forcing Tannehill into more second half passing situations. His defense just has to hold up in that situation. I mean, FFS, there's less than 2 minutes left in the half and Miami has a cannon armed QB and one of the best deep threats in the league. Maybe cover him deep?!

In any event my problem was with how they used Lewis and I said as much during the game. Lewis cannot run a traditional drop back offense, he's just not developed enough to make those reads. How many passes did he throw behind the line of scrimmage? He needs playcalls where he can use his legs. Read plays, rollouts, and keep "on schedule" so he's not forced to throw deep on 3rd and 13 over and over.

Turf
10-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Like others said, clock management at the end of the first half. Deep in their own zone, they should have run to eat up time if they went three and out which they did. They once again gave the team plenty of time to drive back down the field which they did. The other team must have gone wow, this is a gift, does he know what he's doing? Bothers me quite a bit that they did this again.

better days
10-21-2013, 02:57 PM

Well, I guess the Fins did not just roll over & play dead. The Fins put up a good fight and the Bills did not fold when they EASILY could have when the Fins went ahead.

John Doe
10-21-2013, 03:08 PM
If we are going to get picky about Marrone...

Here is one that I have not seen anyone comment on:

When the Bills were trying to run the clock down at the end of the game, time was running on 3rd and 3. The Bills had 3 time-outs left and could have simply milked the play clock as long as they could and then called a time-out (just like they did on 4th down). Instead, they snapped the ball with about 5 seconds left on the play clock.

That does not seem like much time, unless of course they let the Dolphins have a long kickoff return.

IAG
10-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Marrone is a rising star