My thoughts from the game (I was there)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THRILLHO
    This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
    • Feb 2009

My thoughts from the game (I was there)

This was my first time attending a game in a few years. My buddy and I (a Dolphins fan) drove down from Charleston Saturday night, and drove back home Sunday night. If any of you were there, I was in section 416, had a Lynch jersey on, and I brought Kan-Jam and was playing terribly during pre-game in the orange lot.

Its amazing how being there gives you a totally different perspective on the game. One of the most obvious things we all saw was the infuriating lack of tackling. Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas owned us. We barely stopped that huge Miller run. Coverage really broke down the longer Tannehill had the ball and ran with it. The second TD to Gibson especially. It looked like we had Tannehill for a stop, and there is Gibson with no one on him. That being said, it was amazing to see the pressure we were able to put on Tannehill at times. I was watching for #94 just about the whole game, and he did not disappoint. The forced fumble in the fourth had me screaming my lungs out, and it felt so good being surrounded by Dolphins fans who were just doing the same 30 seconds before. Kiko was another one I kept my eye on, he had some crucial plays, as he has all year. He was good at reading the play, and being where he needed. I know its early in his career, but we need this kid long term. He is more than a tackling stat machine like Poz was. The Tanny interceptions were masterful. I feel like the whole stadium knew each interception was coming JUST after the passes were thrown.

Our offense was a mixed bag. Freddie did exceptional when given the chance, even after the injury scare in the first quarter. The play calling was super vanilla in the first two quarters. Im not sure we threw the ball more than 10 yards from the LOS in the first quarter. I exaggerate a bit, but it felt that way. WRs had some crucial drops, and I swear Thad threw to a RB in the flats for half his passing attempts. However, it was so nice to see us convert on SO many third and longs. The Phins had some decent coverage on our WRs, but on third down we found ways to get yards. There were some MAJOR blown blocking assignments on our O-line. There are two I can remember clearly that led to Thad being taken down before he could even look down field. One was when we were backed way up on our own 3. Play action, and boom. Sack. Another was a Dion Jordan sack I believe. Both defenders were untouched as they entered the backfield. We are lucky Thad can hold onto the ball.

In the end, it felt like the same old Bills, except we won. By "the same old Bills" I mean our offense was mediocre and our defense helped keep it close. The difference was that we finally closed a game. We beat a divisional team, in an away game. The Dolphins would have won this game with better play calling. They should have ran so much more, especially with how well the run was working. I expect Sherman and Philbin will be having some serious talks this week about run vs pass.
    True fans want wins, not draft picks.
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: My thoughts from the game (I was there)

On TV I saw a lot of Orange, as in empty seats. And a lot of Blue as in Bills fans.

And people on this board criticize Bills fans for not selling out LATE in the year when the weather is terrible & the team hasn't won in a LONG time.

My son-inlaw is a Fins fan. I can't wait to see him tomorrow.

Comment

• THRILLHO
      This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by better days View Post
      On TV I saw a lot of Orange, as in empty seats. And a lot of Blue as in Bills fans.

And people on this board criticize Bills fans for not selling out LATE in the year when the weather is terrible & the team hasn't won in a LONG time.
      Yes, there were a TON of empty seats and some big Bills support. There was some serious noise during our pick-six (a lot coming from me). And of course we were singing and yelling in the stadium and lots after the game.
      True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• ICRockets
        Childish Fake Voter
        • Jul 2008

I know on at least one of the sacks you mentioned the breakdown was on Lee Smith, not an O-Lineman. I'd like to see a bit more of Chris Gragg out there, he's a hell of a lot more athletic than Smith. But I trust our coaching staff, so there must be something they don't like in practice with him.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

I think of the 3 NFL teams in Florida, Tampa might have the best fan base. The Dolphins have been struggling for years now and we all know the direction Jacksonville is headed.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
            I think of the 3 NFL teams in Florida, Tampa might have the best fan base. The Dolphins have been struggling for years now and we all know the direction Jacksonville is headed.
            Well, the Fins have fans throughout the State like my son-inlaw because they were the first NFL team & have had a lot of success in the past.

There are even Fin fans in Tampa. So I would say the fins overall have a bigger fan base than the Bucs, but the Bucs do a better job of filling up the Stadium.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

I noticed early in the game that it seemed like the stadium was unusually quiet. And the stadium shots were carefully selected, meaning they were either zoomed in to show a specific seat or zoomed WAY out so it was hard to see how many seats were empty, even in HD.

And the Dolphins aren't the greatest team this year but they are competitive.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

In the first 2 minutes, they did a high shot of the stadium and it looked like 30,000 fans...tops. More empty seats than fans.

Agree about the tackling (poor many times). QB #4 is getting a small playbook to keep the mistakes to a minimum. It's tough to watch a team beating themselves for long stretches trying to win close games... but that's the cards we've been dealt for now. We know this is a rebuilding year and the injuries haven't helped,with our razor thin depth.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  In the first 2 minutes, they did a high shot of the stadium and it looked like 30,000 fans...tops. More empty seats than fans.

Agree about the tackling (poor many times). QB #4 is getting a small playbook to keep the mistakes to a minimum. It's tough to watch a team beating themselves for long stretches trying to win close games... but that's the cards we've been dealt for now. We know this is a rebuilding year and the injuries haven't helped,with our razor thin depth.
                  SAme at the start of the 3rd quarter. I wonder how many Fins fans left at half time.

It looked like less fans than the Bills had in preseason.

Comment

Working...
                  X