PDA

View Full Version : Fin Fans: Serious Question

The King
10-22-2013, 07:29 AM
I am not trying to stir the pot with this just looking for your genuine thoughts on the matter.

The Dolphins had arguably one of the most aggressive off season in NFL history, they went out an signed something like 18-20 guys and basically spent right up to the cap. In hindsight how do you feel about this?

Did they spend the money in the right places?
Did they try and do too much at once?
Has the locker room changed with so many new faces?

Generally I think teams focus more on chemistry and schemes, but it seems like the Dolphins mission was to try to improve every position on the roster all at once.

Veteran Additions:
WR Mike Wallace, WR Brandon Gibson, TE Dustin Keller, OT Tyson Clabo, G Lance Louis, DT Vaughn Martin, OLB Philip Wheeler, ILB Dannell Ellerbe.

Early Draft Picks:
DE/OLB Dion Jordan, CB Jamar Taylor, G/OT Dallas Thomas, CB Will Davis, OLB Jelani Jenkins, TE Dion Sims, RB Mike Gillislee, K Caleb Sturgis.

Offseason Losses:
RB Reggie Bush, WR Davone Bess, WR Marlon Moore, TE Anthony Fasano, OT Jake Long, DT Tony McDaniel, OLB Kevin Burnett, ILB Karlos Dansby, CB Sean Smith, S Jonathan Amaya, K Nate Kaeding.

better days
10-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Well, as a Bills fan, let me chime in. The Fins lost a big piece of the OL when they did not resign Jake Long, just as the Bills did with Levitre.

imbondz
10-22-2013, 08:04 AM
From my unbiased perspective what the Dolphins did in the offseason was totally gay. If I were a Dolphins fan I would hate everything about the Dolphins.

Raptor
10-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Mike Wallace was a complete waste of money and Ellerbee and Wheeler were brought in to fix a problem they didnt have

So happy they extended Jeff Ireland

jamze132
10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm totally unbiased but I thought they did the right thing by bringing in all of those high-profile type players, spending to the cap, and ****ing themselves for the next couple of years.

sukie
10-22-2013, 10:12 AM
The Fins spent a ton on Wallace and Keller... Keller went down. They neglected the Oline or mis managed it and THAT is an issue. Tannehill has been crushed all year.

INT to TD being equal smells of a .500 team.

They also went backwards in the running game...

Seems the big expenditure was in weapons rather than protection of the one utilizing the weapons.

Jake Long had an injury bug.

Pinkerton Security
10-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Wallace is a prima donna and hasnt nearly lived up to his contract. Hartline looks like 2x the player Wallace is, with half the physical tools.

Oaf
10-22-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm totally unbiased but I thought they did the right thing by bringing in all of those high-profile type players, spending to the cap, and ****ing themselves for the next couple of years.

They have like $.5m less caproom than us..

Night Train
10-22-2013, 10:41 AM
The Fins and Cowboys are in cap hell after this season.

I couldn't be happier. :up:

Meathead
10-22-2013, 10:42 AM
from my unbiased perspective being a dolphins fan is totally gay. if i were a dolphins fan i would hate everything about myself

justasportsfan
10-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Finfans?

Forget finfans. Lets see what OP has to say about the splurging fins vs. Cheap Ralph.

Meathead
10-22-2013, 10:54 AM
stephen ross isnt cheap

and miami still sucks

IlluminatusUIUC
10-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Wallace is a deep threat. He's a phenomenal deep threat, but that's really all he's ever been. When your both of your tackles fail at their new positions, you can't utilize him the way he's best and the whole thing falls apart.

OpIv37
10-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Finfans?

Forget finfans. Lets see what OP has to say about the splurging fins vs. Cheap Ralph.

:rolleyes:
There are other options besides spending recklessly and being $18.5 million below the cap so Ralph can shove the cash in his mattress. You always try to oversimplify things to two options when the real world is never that simple.

justasportsfan
10-22-2013, 11:42 AM
:rolleyes:
There are other options besides spending recklessly and being $18.5 million below the cap so Ralph can shove the cash in his mattress. You always try to oversimplify things to two options when the real world is never that simple.

If you were a finfan you would've loved their moves but now the fins spent recklessly?

sukie
10-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Marlins splurged bigtime... Nuthin. Then fire sold the talent to Toronto who splurged... Nuthin. Hmmmmmm.

trapezeus
10-22-2013, 11:45 AM
miami saw promise in tannehill and tried to compliment him with some tools. Not bad when you think you are close to add some pieces.

but the dolphins still needed more core players and could have benefitted from a year of players fighting through it to get better vs just buying players. But they have an attendence problem and need new bells and whistles for there 300 subowners.

lastly, as awful as the dolphins original logo was, it was a classic. you don't touch it. and this is what they are get for messing with a classic logo

EDS
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Dolphins did this past off-season what the Bills did the previous off-season. Spent alot for little return.

better days
10-22-2013, 12:13 PM
The Fins spent a ton on Wallace and Keller... Keller went down. They neglected the Oline or mis managed it and THAT is an issue. Tannehill has been crushed all year.

INT to TD being equal smells of a .500 team.

They also went backwards in the running game...

Seems the big expenditure was in weapons rather than protection of the one utilizing the weapons.

Jake Long had an injury bug.

Jake Long had an injury bug, but that didn't stop the Rams from signing him.

And to let him go, not replacing him is the same problem the Bills have with Levitre.

Although, Legursky looks better than Brown.

OpIv37
10-22-2013, 12:18 PM
If you were a finfan you would've loved their moves but now the fins spent recklessly?

I don't know if I would have loved their moves or not. I don't know what their needs were.

I wouldn't have liked letting Long walk just like I didn't like us losing Levitre.

BillsFever21
10-22-2013, 04:28 PM
I've never been a fan of buying your team through free agency and it rarely ever has instant success and most of the time fails in the long run. You need to pay to keep your best young core around and then spend on some better free agents to plug some holes when you think you're close. Either that or signing a top young guy in his prime that will be part of that core for years to come. You're never going to get great deals early on in free agency.

We can't label this a success or failure after just 6 games into the first season. At least they are spending money to try and win. That's better then not spending it at all. The people using only two options of spending money on players or staying around 20 million under the cap and failing to sign most of your best draft picks are just sicking up for Ralph's wallet.