What would Thad need to do to win the starting job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

What would Thad need to do to win the starting job?

Just wondering what would happen if he (the team) beat N'awlins and KC? Would that be enough?
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: What would Thad need to do to win the starting job?

ive been thinking about this since right after his bills debut went so shockingly well

if this team manages to beat two of the hottest teams in the league to get their record to a very surprising 5-4, how do you take him out? i dont think you can so two wins there would definitely do it imo
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Regardless of what happens, Lewis will probably get a fair shot next year in camp. He has talent.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

The team would have to go on an incredible winning streak, and Lewis would have to perform at a level where it's undeniable that he is heavily contributing to those wins opposed to 'care-taking' the offense while the defense is making plays to help secure those wins.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Keep playing the way he was been.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

It really all depends on what the team's record is when EJ is ready to come back. If they are in a playoff hunt, then it's going to be hard to bench the QB who's been winning. If they are out of it, the decision is pretty easy, IMO.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

Lewis won't be given a fair shake in Buffalo to start once EJ comes back. One could even say that our offense is better with EJ so Lewis doesn't really have a leg to stand on. No pun intended EJ.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                The team would have to go on an incredible winning streak, and Lewis would have to perform at a level where it's undeniable that he is heavily contributing to those wins opposed to 'care-taking' the offense while the defense is making plays to help secure those wins.
                Agreed & so far, I don't see that. I do like Thad a back up, but I think EJ would have won that game as well, if he were healthy & played.

Comment

• mightysimi
                  Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                  • Mar 2010

I don't think he is doing anything that EJ wasn't. Well except not underthrow the deep ball. I hope he plays well enough that some sucker team like Oakland gives us a 2nd round pick for him.

Comment

• Thief
                    • Sep 2009

If he beats both teams then ride w the hot hand. No doubt.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

he's got to be the difference maker. he needs to win a game, he needs to throw accurate passes and keep drives going. if the other team marches down and scores a TD, he's got to rally the troops and drive right back.

so far, he's just not sucked. which is all we can ask for. But ifyou aren't trying to build around him, it's not worth it in the long run to have him be our starter when EJ is ready to go.

On the other hand, if he really seems to grasp the offense and is able to dictate the play to the defense, then give him a chance. But what ive seen so far, he's no where close to getting the nod. he has had just as many sloppy passes as good ones. he's had a lot of drive stalls. he's had inaccurate screen passes. He has held onto the ball too long.

Comment

• Parzival
                        This is a list: They're my demands
                        • Aug 2012

Learn to throw the ball away!

I like Thad a lot, and he's shown a lot more than I think any of us expected. However, it's pretty clear he has a relatively low ceiling. He's made some nice plays, but I think we're getting everything out of the kid. Manuel still has a lot to show us. He has more natural talent than Thad by far, hes just got to get some more experience (hopefully). Lets not forget Thad isnt a rookie, hes had at least the benefit of off-season training. Way too early either way.
                        Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind.

Comment

• colin
                          Drew's my hero!
                          • Jul 2002

ej avoids negative plays really well for a rook. he chews up yardage and helps our run game in the middle of the field. thad makes the correct read and throw like 6 times a game, but also makes lots of goffy little mistakes and bad passes. i really like thad as our back up, and think he will improve, but ej is on par better now, and has a ton of better upside. healthy ej is a starting ej.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                            I don't think he is doing anything that EJ wasn't. Well except not underthrow the deep ball.
                            He's a much better runner than EJ.

IMO the only way he wins the job outright is if he develops a lot more pocket awareness, and I don't see that happening against the New Orleans and KC's dominant defenses.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                              • Aug 2013

If he beats the Saints and Chiefs you absolutely have to keep him in.

That is a really unfair standard, however.

I have no problem with him starting the rest of the season. It would not hurt EJ at all to spend a year developing. Learning a bit of humility and building a killer instinct to succeed by not handing him the starting job can sometimes go a long way.

I was against Kevin Kolb starting because his ceiling was obvious, but I must say my interest in Thad has grown a lot and I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X