PDA

View Full Version : Odds the New England Season Finale is a Playoff Game

Don't Panic
10-23-2013, 02:16 PM
We have two very difficult games and then a very reasonable schedule leading up to week 17. We currently sit 1 game out of a wild card spot and 2 out of the division lead (without tiebreakers). What are the odds that we can make week 17 a playoff game? I think we have to be at least 8-7 and most likely 9-6 heading into the game to have a chance. How possible is that? What do you think?

mjt328
10-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Too hard to say at this point.

I think New England is definitely vulnerable to lose the AFC East, but that Week 1 loss at home really sets us in a hole. We are currently 2 1/2 games behind them, entering the toughest part of our schedule. We very likely could be 4 1/2 games back before Week 10. That would be too much to overcome.

With Kansas City (7-0) and Denver (6-1), one of the wild card spots is probably already sewn up - unless one of those teams has a drastic collapse in the second half. That puts us in the same boat as New York, Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland, Tennessee and San Diego for the final spot. I certainly wouldn't rule out Houston or Pittsburgh making a late turn-around either.

I'm really curious to see how the Bills respond over the next 2 weeks.

imbondz
10-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Too hard to say at this point.

lol. not really.

TacklingDummy
10-23-2013, 02:37 PM
There's a good chance we will be 3-8 going into the bye week, so I'm going to say 0%

And we will lose to Atlanta. The last 4 games could be won.

OpIv37
10-23-2013, 02:39 PM
There's a good chance we will be 3-8 going into the bye week, so I'm going to say 0%

And we will lose to Atlanta. The last 4 games could be won.
It's still technically possible, so by definition it can't be zero. But it's as close to 0 as you can possibly get.

TacklingDummy
10-23-2013, 02:48 PM
It's still technically possible, so by definition it can't be zero. But it's as close to 0 as you can possibly get.

Oh it's 0.

justasportsfan
10-23-2013, 02:56 PM
I agree with the title.

Pats will be playing to stay alive while the bills will be resting the starters for their playoff game after their bye.

better days
10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I think much will depend on the health of the team. If there are no more injuries & people start getting healthy, I think the Bills could make a run.

And while the Pats* have the upper hand now, they have been less than impressive. Remember when the Bills won 5 in a row to start the season a few years back?

I don't expect the Pats* to take a nosedive like that, but if Brady gets injured it could happen. And the Pats* are already hurting on Defense.

I think the AFC East will be a dogfight up to the end this year & the Pats* are not going to waltz away with the division crown, they will have to work for it this year.

Crisis
10-23-2013, 03:34 PM
100%, and we'll lose to the Patriots 3rd stringers when we need to win for playoffs.

Don't Panic
10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
We need to win 1 of the next 2 to keep any hope alive in the minds of the players. Do that (and I think we truly can), and I'll put the odds at 45%. I do not underestimate the belief this team has in itself, and while that can't overcome a glaring lack of talent or execution, it can help if all other elements are close to equal, which they will be after the Chiefs game.

I'd feel a TON better if we were 4-3 right now though...

better days
10-23-2013, 04:19 PM
We need to win 1 of the next 2 to keep any hope alive in the minds of the players. Do that (and I think we truly can), and I'll put the odds at 45%. I do not underestimate the belief this team has in itself, and while that can't overcome a glaring lack of talent or execution, it can help if all other elements are close to equal, which they will be after the Chiefs game.

I'd feel a TON better if we were 4-3 right now though...

I heard Reuben Brown on Shredd & Ragan a while ago say the mental part of the game is HUGE in the NFL.

He said he was not the strongest, fastest or most athletic player but he was mentally tough which is the reason he was able to play for so long in the NFL.

He said if you think you can do it, you will find a way to get it done. I think Marrone has these guys thinking they can do it.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-23-2013, 04:23 PM
The final stretch of the schedule looks much less imposing then it did in the off-season, but then again this qb situation is getting out of hand.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-23-2013, 04:25 PM
We have two very difficult games and then a very reasonable schedule leading up to week 17. We currently sit 1 game out of a wild card spot and 2 out of the division lead (without tiebreakers). What are the odds that we can make week 17 a playoff game? I think we have to be at least 8-7 and most likely 9-6 heading into the game to have a chance. How possible is that? What do you think?

For them it will be, for us, I really doubt it. Also, I think KC is going to be far more winnable than most believe it will be.

better days
10-23-2013, 04:27 PM
The final stretch of the schedule looks much less imposing then it did in the off-season, but then again this qb situation is getting out of hand.

If Thad can hold down the fort until EJ is healthy we should all be entertained right up to the end of the season.

Don't Panic
10-23-2013, 04:36 PM
I think KC is going to be far more winnable than most believe it will be.

I agree. I see us getting beat by the Saints, having a good chance at beating KC, and having a coin toss with Pittsburgh. If we're 5-5 at that point, its all on that Jets game. Win that and we go into the bye with a very good chance at making a run. Now, as I re-read that 1st sentence, I realize how big our first hurdles are here and how unlikely it is. Going to be a telling stretch of football.

BuffaloRedleg
10-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Oh it's 0.

Your lack of understanding of the fundamentals of stastics is adorable.

But yeah, it's pretty low without a franchise QB.

trapezeus
10-23-2013, 04:50 PM
more than ever, this team needs to be about one game at a time. last week they were ugly at 2-4 and behind the AFC East leaders by way too much. One week later, they are closer. if they win this week, they have momentum and if the dolphins help us out again, then it starts becoming a race.

i just look for the bills to be consistent and to be better than the previous week. in some ways the bills offense was worse in miami than against the bengals, but they won.

We really just need some steady play at qb. if EJ comes back from injury after the bye and lights it up, then lets revisit this thread and start taking guesses. as of now, the bills seem too inconsistent to me to consider a playoff berth a tangible goal.

better days
10-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I agree. I see us getting beat by the Saints, having a good chance at beating KC, and having a coin toss with Pittsburgh. If we're 5-5 at that point, its all on that Jets game. Win that and we go into the bye with a very good chance at making a run. Now, as I re-read that 1st sentence, I realize how big our first hurdles are here and how unlikely it is. Going to be a telling stretch of football.

If the Bills can find a way to beat the Saints can you imagine what the Ralph will be like when the Chiefs come to Buffalo?

Can you say Home field ADVANTAGE?

Don't Panic
10-23-2013, 05:49 PM
If the Bills can find a way to beat the Saints can you imagine what the Ralph will be like when the Chiefs come to Buffalo?

Can you say Home field ADVANTAGE?

If the Bills somehow find a way to beat the Saints you're going to see a lot of national media figures start jumping on the bandwagon. Beat the Saints and the Chiefs? Some will start calling us the greatest 5-4 team of all time!

ServoBillieves
10-23-2013, 08:45 PM
.001%

JoeMama
10-23-2013, 08:48 PM

This team reminds me of the 1997 Bills. A new quarterback. A team that's competitive in most games and hovers around .500 for most of the season. Then fades down the stretch, particularly if injuries kick in like they usually do.

On the plus side, the fact that we're playing competitive football makes me think we're on the right track. Marrone is doing a lot of things right even though some of the play-calling is dubious. These guys are coming out prepared every Sunday... so far.

Ingtar33
10-23-2013, 09:04 PM
i'm gonna quote myself from another thread posted before the season started.

And if this prediction is close (3-3), it's gonna get stupid around here come week 6. This ain't a playoff team... Very painful season we're shaping up to watch. Better hope EJ grows a lot during the season, because we probably will finish with too many wins under our belt to be drafting another QB this upcoming draft.

it happened a week later then i thought, but still. playoff thread in week 7 for a team with a losing record and a 3rd string qb behind center?

put down the peace pipe my friend, this is the high point of the season, we'll be lucky to scrape out 2 or 3 more wins the rest of the way.

better days
10-23-2013, 10:25 PM

it happened a week later then i thought, but still. playoff thread in week 7 for a team with a losing record and a 3rd string qb behind center?

put down the peace pipe my friend, this is the high point of the season, we'll be lucky to scrape out 2 or 3 more wins the rest of the way.

Well, I said before the season started that the Bills would win 6 games MINIMUM.

3 down, 3 to go to hit the minimum number of wins.

Don't Panic
10-24-2013, 08:49 PM

i like my pipe... and it's feel good vibes.

This isn't a payoff thread but a where would you put the odds thread... as is evidenced by the number of people who have us in the 0-20 range.

bdutton
10-25-2013, 05:28 PM
I voted 100% and not because it will be Buffalo fighting for a playoff spot (but that would be sweet).

I think that game will have huge implications for the wildcard and or division winner. I see either Miami or NYJ or NE to be fighting for a final wildcard and or division championship and that last game will be a factor in determining that.

Mr. Pink
10-26-2013, 12:30 PM
.1%

As you can't be at 0% when you haven't been officially eliminated.

A loss to KC might as well make it .000000000000000000000000000000001%

TacklingDummy
11-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Told ya it's 0.

Skooby
11-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Negative 1.