• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

The Bills Four Losses

Disclaimer: I realize this is the kind of year where you could do a contrary piece titled "The Bills Three Wins", but I thought it was important to recap where we lost each of our four games.

WEEK 1: Patriots. How/when we lost: 59 minutes, 51 seconds. FG gives NE a 2 point lead.
    How we could have won: Gostkowski somehow shanks a 35 yarder. 2nd option: Our D stops the Pats on 3rd and 8 from our 39 yard line with a little over a minute to go.

WEEK 3: Jets. How/when we lost: 50 minutes, 30 seconds. TD gives Jets 7 point lead.
    How we could have won: This was the one game where I feel like we just got fully outplayed, but if we don't let that 69 yarder to Holmes go down, who knows...

WEEK 5: Browns. How/when we lost: 47 minutes, 20 seconds. FG gives Browns 3 point lead (although they weren't done).
    How we could have won: Down by 6 with less than 2 minutes to play, Tuel throws a pick 6 as we're driving. Granted we had 60 yards to go, but time was not an issue considering we had 3 TOs left so if he doesn't throw that pick we may have finished the drive.

WEEK 6: Bengals. How/when we lost: 68 minutes, 16 seconds. FG in OT give Bengals the win.
    How we could have won: Lots here, but the 29 yard punt return to set up the game winning FG is the most obvious. Limit that return and you keep the field possession game going at a minimum, possibly setting up a game winning FG for us.

The point here is that we've been a play or two in 3 of our 4 losses from being in a position to get the W. A little more polish and experience and this team could be 6-1. That bodes well for us going forward, especially if we can get/stay healthy and survive the next two weeks. /eternal optimism.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: The Bills Four Losses

How we could of lost the 3 we won is up next, LOL. Nice thread BTW.

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

I think we lost the Browns game the minute EJ got hurt.

The majority of games come down to one score in the NFL, I'd say. Just barely losing is more painful sometimes.

We've been competitive every game...every game could have went either way probably. We'll see if that keeps up next week against the Saints.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
        How we could of lost the 3 we won is up next, LOL. Nice thread BTW.
        Carolina: Kuechly doesn't commit pass interference on EJ horribly overthrown pass to Johnson. Interception stands. Bills lose

Ravens: Steve Johnson doesn't recover EJ Manuel fumble. Bills lose

Dolphins: Tannerhill gets rid of the ball instead of holding on to it, Mario doesn't knock it out, Williams doesn't recover it. Bills lose.

3 plays away from 0-7.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

If Stevie hangs on to the ball against NE late on our last possession, we win that one.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

We can all agree we are within a play or 2 in every game from going 0-7 to 6-1. The good news in that is we have been in every single game and had a shot at winning them all. Everyone must remember this is a very young team and this is how young teams learn. Now lets see if this is one of those teams that learns and starts to execute to win those type of games.

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

People do realize this is the NFL and this is what the NFL is supposed to be. A game is decided by 1 or 4 plays, I personally think it is great.

I had no expectations for the Bills in fact I pretty much expect them to lose every game because it keeps me calm and I dont get mad during the game.

I the guy who screams hits the furniture and throws crap good or bad and talk to the TV as though the team or fans can hear me. Granted I watch the game in my house and when I have guest over (rarely) I do not act this way.

That being said if you are like me expect a blow out and truly believe they will lose and it will make it better. My wife hates my pessissim though. Every third down I say the opposing team will convert, or here we go another 3 and out after a failed first down run. I am working on that next just not saying anything. Last week i was actually quite calm till the 4th quarter and then the kick off return happened and I went into how did we lose this darn game mode.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                Carolina: Kuechly doesn't commit pass interference on EJ horribly overthrown pass to Johnson. Interception stands. Bills lose
                I've been very critical of EJ but this post is just
                Last edited by justasportsfan; 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                  I think we lost the Browns game the minute EJ got hurt.

The majority of games come down to one score in the NFL, I'd say. Just barely losing is more painful sometimes.

We've been competitive every game...every game could have went either way probably. We'll see if that keeps up next week against the Saints.
                  I agree about everything but barely losing being more painful. To me nothing is more painful than watching your team get blown out of a game.

I want to see a close game win or lose rather than a blow out by either team.

Comment

• Victor7
                    • Jul 2013

Dolphins: Tannerhill gets rid of the ball instead of holding on to it, Mario doesn't knock it out, Williams doesn't recover it. Bills lose.

3 plays away from 0-7.
                    Exactly.

Parity rules in the NFL. For every game we could've won there's one we just as easily could've lost. Of course its better to be in position to win the games than get completely blown away but these type of "moral" victories mean nothing.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

not for nothing, but we were getting blown out in the bengals game. they make that fieldgoal, the game is over 27-10. But they miss, we get life, and then we drive and are right back in it.

i agree, this year is a see saw.

with all our new coaches, we've seen moxy early. he has to build on this. if they don't win some games back to back this year, i will havebe skeptical going into the following season. If they win the last few games and EJ looks like he's comfortable on his passing tree, i think a good 2014 draft could rocket the team forward.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

3 plays away from 0-7.
                        The point of the thread is that we've been in every game we've played. We werent that way in the past. I think our defense has more to do with it than anything else, Pettine is getting more out of these guys than Wannstedt could ever dream of.

Comment

• Ed
                          • Sep 2002

This is what the Bills are this year. A middle of the road team that's going to win some games they could have lost and lose some games they could have won. If you're an optimist then you probably believe this team is better than they actually are and if you're a pessimist then you probably believe the Bills are worse then they actually are.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                            The point of the thread is that we've been in every game we've played. We werent that way in the past. I think our defense has more to do with it than anything else, Pettine is getting more out of these guys than Wannstedt could ever dream of.
                            I agree and IMO we are a decent qb away from being a playoff team and a franchise qb from being a sb contender.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                              Simply untrue.

Every year we've seen posts like this. Last year we were a play away from beating the Pats except Fitz was picked off in the end zone. We win the Titans game if Fitz isn't intercepted late. We win the Rams game if we make one play on their final game winning drive. Just that quickly I got the Bills to 9-7 last year.

Two years ago we started 5-2 and with a couple plays made would have been 7-0.

Year in, year out, same old same old.

Comment

Working...
                              X