PDA

View Full Version : The Bills Four Losses

Don't Panic
10-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Disclaimer: I realize this is the kind of year where you could do a contrary piece titled "The Bills Three Wins", but I thought it was important to recap where we lost each of our four games.

WEEK 1: Patriots. How/when we lost: 59 minutes, 51 seconds. FG gives NE a 2 point lead.
How we could have won: Gostkowski somehow shanks a 35 yarder. 2nd option: Our D stops the Pats on 3rd and 8 from our 39 yard line with a little over a minute to go.

WEEK 3: Jets. How/when we lost: 50 minutes, 30 seconds. TD gives Jets 7 point lead.
How we could have won: This was the one game where I feel like we just got fully outplayed, but if we don't let that 69 yarder to Holmes go down, who knows...

WEEK 5: Browns. How/when we lost: 47 minutes, 20 seconds. FG gives Browns 3 point lead (although they weren't done).
How we could have won: Down by 6 with less than 2 minutes to play, Tuel throws a pick 6 as we're driving. Granted we had 60 yards to go, but time was not an issue considering we had 3 TOs left so if he doesn't throw that pick we may have finished the drive.

WEEK 6: Bengals. How/when we lost: 68 minutes, 16 seconds. FG in OT give Bengals the win.
How we could have won: Lots here, but the 29 yard punt return to set up the game winning FG is the most obvious. Limit that return and you keep the field possession game going at a minimum, possibly setting up a game winning FG for us.

The point here is that we've been a play or two in 3 of our 4 losses from being in a position to get the W. A little more polish and experience and this team could be 6-1. That bodes well for us going forward, especially if we can get/stay healthy and survive the next two weeks. /eternal optimism.

Skooby
10-23-2013, 06:26 PM
How we could of lost the 3 we won is up next, LOL. Nice thread BTW.

feldspar
10-23-2013, 06:27 PM
I think we lost the Browns game the minute EJ got hurt.

The majority of games come down to one score in the NFL, I'd say. Just barely losing is more painful sometimes.

We've been competitive every game...every game could have went either way probably. We'll see if that keeps up next week against the Saints.

TacklingDummy
10-23-2013, 06:45 PM
How we could of lost the 3 we won is up next, LOL. Nice thread BTW.

Carolina: Kuechly doesn't commit pass interference on EJ horribly overthrown pass to Johnson. Interception stands. Bills lose

Ravens: Steve Johnson doesn't recover EJ Manuel fumble. Bills lose

Dolphins: Tannerhill gets rid of the ball instead of holding on to it, Mario doesn't knock it out, Williams doesn't recover it. Bills lose.

3 plays away from 0-7.

YardRat
10-23-2013, 06:46 PM
If Stevie hangs on to the ball against NE late on our last possession, we win that one.

SquishDaFish
10-23-2013, 07:45 PM
We can all agree we are within a play or 2 in every game from going 0-7 to 6-1. The good news in that is we have been in every single game and had a shot at winning them all. Everyone must remember this is a very young team and this is how young teams learn. Now lets see if this is one of those teams that learns and starts to execute to win those type of games. :gobills:

DesertFox24
10-24-2013, 09:21 AM
People do realize this is the NFL and this is what the NFL is supposed to be. A game is decided by 1 or 4 plays, I personally think it is great.

I had no expectations for the Bills in fact I pretty much expect them to lose every game because it keeps me calm and I dont get mad during the game.

I the guy who screams hits the furniture and throws crap good or bad and talk to the TV as though the team or fans can hear me. Granted I watch the game in my house and when I have guest over (rarely) I do not act this way.

That being said if you are like me expect a blow out and truly believe they will lose and it will make it better. My wife hates my pessissim though. Every third down I say the opposing team will convert, or here we go another 3 and out after a failed first down run. I am working on that next just not saying anything. Last week i was actually quite calm till the 4th quarter and then the kick off return happened and I went into how did we lose this darn game mode.

justasportsfan
10-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Carolina: Kuechly doesn't commit pass interference on EJ horribly overthrown pass to Johnson. Interception stands. Bills lose

I've been very critical of EJ but this post is just
:coocoo:

better days
10-24-2013, 09:31 AM
I think we lost the Browns game the minute EJ got hurt.

The majority of games come down to one score in the NFL, I'd say. Just barely losing is more painful sometimes.

We've been competitive every game...every game could have went either way probably. We'll see if that keeps up next week against the Saints.

I agree about everything but barely losing being more painful. To me nothing is more painful than watching your team get blown out of a game.

I want to see a close game win or lose rather than a blow out by either team.

Victor7
10-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Dolphins: Tannerhill gets rid of the ball instead of holding on to it, Mario doesn't knock it out, Williams doesn't recover it. Bills lose.

3 plays away from 0-7.

Exactly.

Parity rules in the NFL. For every game we could've won there's one we just as easily could've lost. Of course its better to be in position to win the games than get completely blown away but these type of "moral" victories mean nothing.

trapezeus
10-24-2013, 09:45 AM
not for nothing, but we were getting blown out in the bengals game. they make that fieldgoal, the game is over 27-10. But they miss, we get life, and then we drive and are right back in it.

i agree, this year is a see saw.

with all our new coaches, we've seen moxy early. he has to build on this. if they don't win some games back to back this year, i will havebe skeptical going into the following season. If they win the last few games and EJ looks like he's comfortable on his passing tree, i think a good 2014 draft could rocket the team forward.

Pinkerton Security
10-24-2013, 10:03 AM

3 plays away from 0-7.

The point of the thread is that we've been in every game we've played. We werent that way in the past. I think our defense has more to do with it than anything else, Pettine is getting more out of these guys than Wannstedt could ever dream of.

Ed
10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
This is what the Bills are this year. A middle of the road team that's going to win some games they could have lost and lose some games they could have won. If you're an optimist then you probably believe this team is better than they actually are and if you're a pessimist then you probably believe the Bills are worse then they actually are.

justasportsfan
10-24-2013, 11:13 AM
The point of the thread is that we've been in every game we've played. We werent that way in the past. I think our defense has more to do with it than anything else, Pettine is getting more out of these guys than Wannstedt could ever dream of.

I agree and IMO we are a decent qb away from being a playoff team and a franchise qb from being a sb contender.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2013, 11:19 AM

Simply untrue.

Every year we've seen posts like this. Last year we were a play away from beating the Pats except Fitz was picked off in the end zone. We win the Titans game if Fitz isn't intercepted late. We win the Rams game if we make one play on their final game winning drive. Just that quickly I got the Bills to 9-7 last year.

Two years ago we started 5-2 and with a couple plays made would have been 7-0.

Year in, year out, same old same old.

justasportsfan
10-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Simply untrue.

Every year we've seen posts like this. Last year we were a play away from beating the Pats except Fitz was picked off in the end zone. We win the Titans game if Fitz isn't intercepted late. We win the Rams game if we make one play on their final game winning drive. Just that quickly I got the Bills to 9-7 last year.

Last year the team was in it's 3rd year with the same coach and qb. This year is a way different team with a rookie HC and qb. Apples and watermelon

Pinkerton Security
10-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Simply untrue.

Are you talking about the Browns?

Mr. Pink
10-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Last year the team was in it's 3rd year with the same coach and qb. This year is a way different team with a rookie HC and qb. Apples and watermelon

But it's the same what if game we've all seen on here since Mularkey.

You're as good as your record.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Are you talking about the Browns?

Yeah the Browns had Fitz last year and started off 5-2 two years ago.

Good call.

justasportsfan
10-24-2013, 11:33 AM
But it's the same what if game we've all seen on here since Mularkey.

You're as good as your record.

what you quoted was based on which unit was responsible for this close games and it's the defense this year. Wanny certainly wasn't the reason for close games last year.

I just added the difference between coaches and qb. It's still apples and coconuts

stuckincincy
10-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Exactly.

Parity rules in the NFL. For every game we could've won there's one we just as easily could've lost. Of course its better to be in position to win the games than get completely blown away but these type of "moral" victories mean nothing.

Yep. Parity is the clarion call. Every club has their last minute (or close to last minute wins).

The angst drips, when it's the club that one pays attention to, makes the errors.

The wisdom of TMQ:

"Sweet 'N' Sour Play: Game tied, the Lions faced third-and-4 on their 23 with 40 seconds remaining, Cincinnati down to its final timeout. Cincinnati surprised Detroit with a corner blitz. Matt Stafford threw the ball away, stopping the clock. Detroit shanked its punt, and the stopped clock left Cincinnati enough time to kick the winning field goal as the scoreboard clock hit all-naughts. Sweet.

When Stafford was chased from the pocket by the blitzing corner, he should have allowed himself to be sacked. That would have forced Cincinnati to spend its final timeout, and probably led to overtime. By throwing the ball away to prevent a sack -- which didn't help Detroit in field-position terms -- Stafford left Cincinnati time to reply. Sour."...

and, BUF@MIA:

..."The Buffalo-at-Miami contest devolved into dueling mental errors. Last week, TMQ excoriated Bills high draft choice Leodis McKelvin for fair-catching at his own 7 -- never fair catch inside the 10! -- which pinned the Bills deep in overtime. Sunday, McKelvin again fair-caught on his own 7, pinning the Bills deep when trailing in the fourth quarter. Twice in the second half, Stevie Johnson, one of the NFL's highest-paid receivers, ran a third-down pattern short of the marker; both times, Buffalo punted on fourth-and-1. Stopping short of the marker is a rookie error that a megabucks guy should not make.

On the Genetically Engineered Surimi side of the ball, leading 21-20 with three minutes remaining, Miami had possession at midfield on second down. Running forces Buffalo to spend its timeouts; passing risks a sack, and the Dolphins entered the contest last in the NFL for sacks allowed. It's a pass play! Sack, fumble, Bills recover.

Now, Buffalo, trailing by one point, reaches first down on the Miami 18 with 2:36 remaining, Dolphins out of timeouts. Miami must let Buffalo score! Otherwise, the Bills will grind the clock then take the lead with the game nearly over, too little time for Miami to reply. This is exactly what occurs. Last week, the Cowboys were in the must-let-them-score situation versus Denver and failed to do so. Miami repeated the Boys mistake.

Last week, TMQ noted that even a team that wants to kill the clock can benefit from a defensive timeout. Before Miami staged its last-snap Hail Mary, the Bills called timeout, got collected and reminded defensive backs not to try to intercept -- just knock it down. They did. At least there was football IQ on the final down!"...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9860528/why-do-peyton-manning-teams-struggle-big-games

better days
10-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Exactly.

They do mean something. They mean this team is competitive with any team in the NFL.

Teams getting blown out are not competitive at all.

Victor7
10-24-2013, 12:53 PM
They do mean something. They mean this team is competitive with any team in the NFL.

Teams getting blown out are not competitive at all.

Yes and no. They mean something because like you say you remain competitive. But record wise they mean scrap. Its been like these for the past gazillion years. The what if games. When you think of those don't forget to also think of the ones we won and could've lost. Those count too. In the end we need to be better than the other team throughout the game to win outright and not have to depend on a few bounces here or there to win contests.

sukie
10-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi Victor!

JCBills
10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
At least there hasn't been a boring game or blowout yet. This is a competitive team.

Victor7
10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi Victor!

Sukie !! You old dog. How are you ?

sukie
10-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Life is good. Taking stepsukie to the Panther's Sabres game tomorrow... 7 rows off the ice. Contemplating brown paper bags...

Like what is happening for the Bills. I like the sense of change... winning late is fuzzy new feeling.

BillsFever21
10-24-2013, 05:43 PM
The fans of 0-6 Bucs who are in total disarray could easily say the same type of stuff. They lost 3 games by 1, 2 and 3 points. They lost to the Saints by two points and everyone knows what happened in the Jets game. Then two more of their losses were by under 10 points and one of them games they were leading in the 4th quarter. The fans of the Bucs could sit on their message boards and say how they could easily be 4-2 right now.

The 3-3 Panthers could also say the same thing. They lost to Seattle by only 5 points and then the loss to us on the last play of the game. In their 3 wins they won by at least 15 points in each one. Their fans could sit there and say how they could be 5-1 right now.

The Dolphins started off 3-0 with a win against Indy who is playing good football. In two of their last 3 losses they lost by 3 points or less. They could easily be 5-1 right now.

Except for the Jaguars and the teams with great record then almost every team in the NFL could say how they easily could have a few more wins right now. Many of the teams with good records could easily be 2-5 as easy as they are 5-2. It's just the way the NFL is. The good teams pull out wins in the close games more then they don't.

We have played 6 very close games into the 4th quarter with a chance to win. We won three of them and we lost three of them. We can't sit there and say how we could've won games anymore then how we could've lost games.

Victor7
10-24-2013, 05:49 PM
The fans of 0-6 Bucs who are in total disarray could easily say the same type of stuff. They lost 3 games by 1, 2 and 3 points. They lost to the Saints by two points and everyone knows what happened in the Jets game. Then two more of their losses were by under 10 points and one of them games they were leading in the 4th quarter. The fans of the Bucs could sit on their message boards and say how they could easily be 4-2 right now.

The 3-3 Panthers could also say the same thing. They lost to Seattle by only 5 points and then the loss to us on the last play of the game. In their 3 wins they won by at least 15 points in each one. Their fans could sit there and say how they could be 5-1 right now.

The Dolphins started off 3-0 with a win against Indy who is playing good football. In two of their last 3 losses they lost by 3 points or less. They could easily be 5-1 right now.

Except for the Jaguars and the teams with great record then almost every team in the NFL could say how they easily could have a few more wins right now. Many of the teams with good records could easily be 2-5 as easy as they are 5-2. It's just the way the NFL is. The good teams pull out wins in the close games more then they don't.

We have played 6 very close games into the 4th quarter with a chance to win. We won three of them and we lost three of them. We can't sit there and say how we could've won games anymore then how we could've lost games.

This

Generalissimus Gibby
10-24-2013, 06:01 PM
The thing I like about this year's team is also what pisses me off about it, namely we've been in every single game and with a couple different coaching decisions, plays, and ref decisions this team could be what the Chiefs are, namely undefeated. Although the losses have been agonizing, I don't think we are going to see what we saw under Gailey or Dick, namely the team checking out weeks at a time. They will end up 6-10, but they will be in every game. I am halfway tempted to go against the spread this week. I don't think we win, but I think we could very possibly beat the spread.

Don't Panic
10-24-2013, 08:39 PM
At least there hasn't been a boring game or blowout yet. This is a competitive team.

Thats the bottom line to me. This team shows up every week. Bad teams don't do that. 0-7 teams get blown out every couple games. That's not necessarily true of good teams though. Good teams simply find ways to win when the game is close. We are much closer to good than bad.

JCBills
10-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Thats the bottom line to me. This team shows up every week. Bad teams don't do that. 0-7 teams get blown out every couple games. That's not necessarily true of good teams though. Good teams simply find ways to win when the game is close. We are much closer to good than bad.

The youth factor is huge as well. This offense and defense is new to basically everyone on the team, and they are the 3rd youngest roster just learning it. Another season of learning the system will allow them to expand on it, and a solid draft paired with our youth progressing could translate to more wins.

better days
10-25-2013, 09:25 AM

Well, as a Bucs fan as well as a Bills fan, I can tell you how I feel about both teams.

I am HAPPY with the direction the Bills are going, the Bucs, not so much.

I can't wait until the end of the season for the Bucs. I am hoping for the first pick in the draft & a new HC.

31-13 loss last night, I want Schiano fired NOW. The Bucs have as much talent as the Bills do, maybe more.

In my mind it just tells me how IMPORTANT Coaching is.

Victor7
10-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Well, as a Bucs fan as well as a Bills fan, I can tell you how I feel about both teams.

I am HAPPY with the direction the Bills are going, the Bucs, not so much.

I can't wait until the end of the season for the Bucs. I am hoping for the first pick in the draft & a new HC.

31-13 loss last night, I want Schiano fired NOW. The Bucs have as much talent as the Bills do, maybe more.

In my mind it just tells me how IMPORTANT Coaching is.

I don't think Schiano makes it past this week. Maybe the next one.

What a douche

feldspar
10-25-2013, 03:17 PM
I agree about everything but barely losing being more painful. To me nothing is more painful than watching your team get blown out of a game.

I want to see a close game win or lose rather than a blow out by either team.

Like I say, sometimesit's more painful to lose a close one.

For example, I would have rather have lost the Music City Miracle game by at least two scores than to bear witness to what actually happened there.

Games where you feel that the opponent was definitely outplayed, yet the Bills lost the game...those deflate me more at the time because victory was in reach. Only because the hope was built up, so you have further to fall. Not to be overly dramatic about it.

Of course, this is only my opinion. The thing is that getting blown out equals the same thing as losing in the most fluky way at the last second.

If you are going to lose, losing close means that you were competitive and that's better, but I'm telling you that those close ones bite me harder personally. "Wide right" bit me harder than any other Super Bowl loss.

The trick is to have a good team. Considering the Bills recent history, it's hard to have THAT much confidence that they can rebound, so when they lose these close games it almost feels like they blew their last chance again...when they COULDA WOULDA SHOULDA had it. Then I go through the same thing a bit later.

I'm the sort of fella that doesn't pack it in until the Bills are mathematically eliminated, though.

I would like to see the Bills blowout the other team every week though.