PDA

View Full Version : SABRES PRESIDENT BRACES FANS FOR MORE ROUGH TIMES AHEAD

SpikedLemonade
10-24-2013, 04:24 PM
With the Buffalo Sabres already off to their worst start in franchise history, team president Ted Black is bracing fans to prepare for more rough times.

That's the message Black issued Thursday during his weekly show on WGR-AM.

Saying it's "going to be difficult to stomach in the short run," Black said the Sabres intend to stay the course by rebuilding through youth....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=434950

Well, at least between the Bills and the Sabres, the Buffalo fan base is used to it.

coastal
10-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Bull****.

Theres building around youth and then a poorly managed and coached cluster **** that is this year's Buffalo Sabres.

JATMtheJATM
10-24-2013, 04:47 PM
this isnt a surprise. this is a multi-year rebuild. im actually kind of excited. yeah, i know, how could i be excited? when the results start to show, and they will, everyone will be more happy. and come june 27, when the sabres have a top 3 pick and can get a franchise player, there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

hard to be optimistic for the immediate future, but long term? this team is going to be a very good team.

ill lay out my time frame for the team, and this is only my opinion.

first half this season: absolutely awful. if we have 5 wins by the new year, ill be shocked.
second half of this season: bad hockey, but not as bad as the first. some of the younger players will develop enough to be competent on the ice. itll still be alot of losses

off season. trades and picks for younger players (i assume miller and vanek will be traded) and the draft of a top 3 player.

first half next season: much like the second half of the previous season. bad hockey, but some glimpses of the future.
second half next season: the kids develop and click enough to play competitive hockey, but still results in mostly losses.

off season: top 10 pick again, possibly top 5.

2 seasons from now first half: competitive hockey but still some bumps. the are maybe 12th in the east
2 seasons from now second half: its here. sabres play .500 hockey or better. miss postseason, but finish top 10 east

after that, we should be able to make the playoffs.

trapezeus
10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
i really resent that Black, who seems to get it, that fans knew what we signed up for. The loyal ones. i didn't expect the sabres to be playoff worthy this year, but i didn't expect them to be unable to pass the 3 pass drill. they are terrible and they have no heart.

and this is directly about regeir. he wasn't fit the first 2 times to put his teams together. the guy had all the capital in the world to turn around his crap team constructed in 2003-2005 with big money acquisitions. He failed. he failed to win with the greatest goalie the game has ever seen.

We are more than willing to go through the pain of having a bad team. even this bad team. but give us a glimmer of hope that some one else is looking at this with a fresh pair of eyes.

I am totally fine with JatMtheJATM's review of the season. but i don't want rolston or regeir guiding the upcoming decisions.

JATMtheJATM
10-24-2013, 05:13 PM
i really resent that Black, who seems to get it, that fans knew what we signed up for. The loyal ones. i didn't expect the sabres to be playoff worthy this year, but i didn't expect them to be unable to pass the 3 pass drill. they are terrible and they have no heart.

and this is directly about regeir. he wasn't fit the first 2 times to put his teams together. the guy had all the capital in the world to turn around his crap team constructed in 2003-2005 with big money acquisitions. He failed. he failed to win with the greatest goalie the game has ever seen.

We are more than willing to go through the pain of having a bad team. even this bad team. but give us a glimmer of hope that some one else is looking at this with a fresh pair of eyes.

I am totally fine with JatMtheJATM's review of the season. but i don't want rolston or regeir guiding the upcoming decisions.

i dont have a problem giving rolston a fair shot. his thing is developing players and the sabres are young.

regier? yeah, his ship has sailed. lets get someone else in here.

Crisis
10-24-2013, 05:18 PM
I think this is one of those times where Black is better off keeping his mouth shut. What he's saying might be the reality of the situation, but no one wants to hear it.. he's just going to get more people to turn on him by talking.

I also think Black knew we'd be bad, but not THIS bad. Hopefully looking incompletely incompetent will cost at least Rolston his job... the guy is not an NHL level coach.

The only thing Rolston is good for is the tank.

DetDannyWilliams
10-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Pegula is doing it the right way! from the book Forty "Sabres at Forty" commemorating the 40th Anniversary last season there's a quote by the late Seymour H. Knox III when he found out that he got a hockey team in Buffalo he says that
This team will never be able to bring in big name players, We are in a small market city we will have to build through the draft and make trades. and Seymour H. Knox III did just that by hiring Imlach as GM and coach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Sabres_draft_picks until 5 years went by and in 1975 the Sabres were in the Stanley Cup Finals against the Flyers.

Downinfloflo
10-24-2013, 05:31 PM
What if the youth sucks?

Just because your young and drafted high don't mean your going to be a good hockey player in the NHL.

Just look at Edmonton...They have had top picks and a **** load of them...What have they got for it in the last 5 years?

JATMtheJATM
10-24-2013, 06:16 PM
What if the youth sucks?

Just because your young and drafted high don't mean your going to be a good hockey player in the NHL.

Just look at Edmonton...They have had top picks and a **** load of them...What have they got for it in the last 5 years?

edmonton isnt done yet either. theyve neglected the defense and for the most part goaltending.

Downinfloflo
10-24-2013, 06:49 PM
edmonton isnt done yet either. theyve neglected the defense and for the most part goaltending.

How long have they been trying to put it together?

Defense is over rated in today's NHL....They can't touch anyone like they use to be able too.

Rockstar
10-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Exactly, and we have not in any way shape and form forgot to stock our blue-line. It actually may be the most promising aspect of our team. Leaving out Myers and McNabb who have been disappointing in many ways there is
Jamie McBain (25)
Mark Pysyk (21)
Rasmus Ristolainen (18)
Nikita Zadorov (18) These kids all look really good and promising. Zadorov look like a possible STUD!! </SPAN>

ckg927
10-24-2013, 06:57 PM

And a reason for that is Edmonton's in the same boat as Buffalo, if you think about it: They can't get any decent FA's to come play up there to show the young guys how to compete and win.

Rockstar
10-24-2013, 07:08 PM
How long have they been trying to put it together?

Defense is over rated in today's NHL....They can't touch anyone like they use to be able too.

If you are implying that hitting is all that defense is about then you don’t understand hockey, since I’m pretty sure you know better you are simply playing the old antagonizer role like on the other site. </SPAN>

Our young defense is showing that they can skate exceptionally well and make good breakout passes. 18 year old Zadorov was the best passer on the ice against the Bruins. McBain is playing on the first PP unit because of his vision and calm decision making. </SPAN>

Defense is still on my opinion second most important aspect of hockey behind goaltending. The ice time a top four blue-liner gets is almost more than any forward on the team, and the top two D-men are ALWAYS the most important men on the ice and receive the most ice time, even in an extreme example such as Sidney Crosby who is arguable the greatest player in hockey. </SPAN>

So your take that “Defense is over rated in today's NHL” is false.. </SPAN></SPAN>

Rockstar
10-24-2013, 07:21 PM
And a reason for that is Edmonton's in the same boat as Buffalo, if you think about it: They can't get any decent FA's to come play up there to show the young guys how to compete and win.

eh, I have fan faith and some good precedent recently that we will evolve quickly (meaning next year) What is my source of evidence? The Colorado Avalanche.. Second worst team in the league last season, very young. Now one of the best teams in the league and one point behind San Jose for the NHL's best record. </SPAN></SPAN>

Skooby
10-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Captain obvious sailing the ship to the bottom, all aboard.

OpIv37
10-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I can understand being excited about the Bills despite the mediocre results so far. They've held their own in every game with young guys and back ups playing due to another tidal wave of injuries. I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" camp but I can't fault people for being excited.

The Sabres, on the other hand are an epic cluster****. They are completely incompetent in every phase of the game. And the only young guy that's even shown flashes is Girgensons, maybe Z. Grigs clearly isn't ready and I don't know why people are impressed with Pysik because he looks lost to me.

JATMtheJATM
10-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Exactly, and we have not in any way shape and form forgot to stock our blue-line. It actually may be the most promising aspect of our team. Leaving out Myers and McNabb who have been disappointing in many ways there is
Jamie McBain (25)
Mark Pysyk (21)
Rasmus Ristolainen (18)
Nikita Zadorov (18) These kids all look really good and promising. Zadorov look like a possible STUD!!

i still think mcnabb needs another shot.

dont forget mccabe in wisco either.

Dude
10-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Pegula is doing it the right way! from the book Forty "Sabres at Forty" commemorating the 40th Anniversary last season there's a quote by the late Seymour H. Knox III when he found out that he got a hockey team in Buffalo he says that and Seymour H. Knox III did just that by hiring Imlach as GM and coach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Sabres_draft_picks until 5 years went by and in 1975 the Sabres were in the Stanley Cup Finals against the Flyers.Do you ever read what you post? Pegula and Knox aren't even comparable. Pegula has come in and retained the ****ty GM who is responsible for the ****ty team, and Pegula is the one who brought in incompetent people around him. Three years in and the Sabres are worse than they were when Pegula bought the team. What crack are you smoking that makes you think that Pegula is doing things the "right way" because Knox was successful 40 years ago?

If by "doing it the right way" you mean Pegula has ****ed up everything except remodeling the locker room and building a new practice arena, then I agree.

JATMtheJATM
10-25-2013, 11:08 AM

there is more to defense then hitting and grabbing.

defense overrated? isnt defense what made the rangers a good team for a season or 2?

Downinfloflo
10-25-2013, 03:18 PM
there is more to defense then hitting and grabbing.

defense overrated? isnt defense what made the rangers a good team for a season or 2?

You can throw anyone out there to do what they did.

The NHL want's goals..........They been making it harder and harder for D-men to play their game.

Goalies have smaller pads.....The net is now smaller now too.

You don't need stud D-men to win today...

JATMtheJATM
10-25-2013, 03:28 PM
You can throw anyone out there to do what they did.

The NHL want's goals..........They been making it harder and harder for D-men to play their game.

Goalies have smaller pads.....The net is now smaller now too.

You don't need stud D-men to win today...

you dont need every particular facet to the game to win today if you build a team right. team with stud goaltending a defense can survive without a prolific offense (LA kings) and a team with a stud defense and stud offense can survive without stud goaltending (chicago) and a team with a stud offense and goaltending can win without stud defense (boston)

so to say you dont need defense is pretty silly. you can still build a team through defense and it can win. im with coastal here on the draft. if the sabres can get ekblad, look out!

and smaller pads actually can help goaltenders. makes them faster and easier to move. the best thing for goaltenders was the reduction of the pads from 12 inch to 11 inch.

Rockstar
10-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Do you ever read what you post? Pegula and Knox aren't even comparable. Pegula has come in and retained the ****ty GM who is responsible for the ****ty team, and Pegula is the one who brought in incompetent people around him. Three years in and the Sabres are worse than they were when Pegula bought the team. What crack are you smoking that makes you think that Pegula is doing things the "right way" because Knox was successful 40 years ago?

If by "doing it the right way" you mean Pegula has ****ed up everything except remodeling the locker room and building a new practice arena, then I agree.

I completely disagree, please read what I just wrote about Terry Pegula in this thread if your interested in a rebuttal. (Post 19)http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/221320-Buffalo-Sabres-an-awful-and-embarrassing-organization-Cox (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/221320-Buffalo-Sabres-an-awful-and-embarrassing-organization-Cox)

SpikedLemonade
10-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Downinfloflo, you are just not getting it.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of someone who has a family connection in Buffalo.

Let's say you have a Polish grandmother who lives in Buffalo. She remembers when Buffalo was the insurance centre of the United States. Your parents might remember when there was a steel industry in Buffalo. The Buffalo of 1950s to early 1970s was a city to be proud of.

You probably don't remember a professional team ever winning championships in Buffalo because they never did. Oh you will rationalize AFL days and the 4 straight SB loses. The NBA Braves leaving was someone else's fault. As it was when the NHL stepped in to save a bankrupt Sabres team. As it will be in 10 years when the Bills move because the taxpayers rightfully will not pay for a new stadium.

Why is Buffalo always mistreated? Why do things always fail in Buffalo? Why isn't Buffalo what it was in the 60s? Where is the loyalty they ask while living lives they created away from Buffalo.

So anyone who is willing to do something positive for Buffalo like a professional sports owner should never be criticized.

Downinfloflo
10-25-2013, 06:30 PM
you dont need every particular facet to the game to win today if you build a team right. team with stud goaltending a defense can survive without a prolific offense (LA kings) and a team with a stud defense and stud offense can survive without stud goaltending (chicago) and a team with a stud offense and goaltending can win without stud defense (boston)

so to say you dont need defense is pretty silly. you can still build a team through defense and it can win. im with coastal here on the draft. if the sabres can get ekblad, look out!

and smaller pads actually can help goaltenders. makes them faster and easier to move. the best thing for goaltenders was the reduction of the pads from 12 inch to 11 inch.

Ummm.....I never said that...

I said you don't need "STUD D-men" to win in today's NHL....

None of the Sabres draft picks have proven they can cut it in the NHL....None....So adding Ekblad won't mean a damn thing.

The Sabres are at a minimum of 5 years away from being a team that can win playoff games...One main factor in that, They can't get any free agent's..

JATMtheJATM
10-25-2013, 06:33 PM

None of the Sabres draft picks have proven they can cut it in the NHL....None....So adding Ekblad won't mean a damn thing.

The Sabres are at a minimum of 5 years away from being a team that can win playoff games...One main factor in that, They can't get any free agent's..

some of the sabres draft picks havnt had the chance to prove they can cut it, so to assume they wont is pretty absurd. especially with the likes of risto and zadarov.

as for free agents, ehrhoff? leino? say what you want about them, they can get free agents.

5 years before they can win playoff games? i say 3, maybe 4.

Downinfloflo
10-25-2013, 09:06 PM
some of the sabres draft picks havnt had the chance to prove they can cut it, so to assume they wont is pretty absurd. especially with the likes of risto and zadarov.

as for free agents, ehrhoff? leino? say what you want about them, they can get free agents.

5 years before they can win playoff games? i say 3, maybe 4.

LMAO....Dude you spend all day assuming they are going to be great.

And NO.....They can not get free agents.

Skooby
10-25-2013, 09:20 PM
We won tonight against a team equally terrible.

JATMtheJATM
10-26-2013, 12:42 AM
LMAO....Dude you spend all day assuming they are going to be great.

And NO.....They can not get free agents.

it beats the alternative. should i be down? should i be pessimistic?

id rather be optimistic and miss, then be pessimistic and right. and no one knows where theyll be in 4 years. but the better bet is these kids learn to play.

Downinfloflo
10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
it beats the alternative. should i be down? should i be pessimistic?

id rather be optimistic and miss, then be pessimistic and right. and no one knows where theyll be in 4 years. but the better bet is these kids learn to play.

Try realistic...

JATMtheJATM
10-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Try realistic...

thats the thing. im not being unrealistic.

doug45
10-28-2013, 05:26 PM
this isnt a surprise. this is a multi-year rebuild.

Not that word "Rebuild" That is the word a team uses when they can't win. (IE. The Bills) That should be a dirty word in Buffalo. Plus the Buffalo teams should say Multi-Decade. Sorry just saying

JATMtheJATM
10-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Not that word "Rebuild" That is the word a team uses when they can't win. (IE. The Bills) That should be a dirty word in Buffalo. Plus the Buffalo teams should say Multi-Decade. Sorry just saying

there is a difference between a bad team and a rebuilding team. not in results, necessarily. the difference is the sabres have a bright future.

Rockstar
10-29-2013, 01:06 AM

Spiked what the hell are you thanking this post for? It's completely WRONG and your team in one great example that proves it. Without Chara your team wouldn't be anywhere as good as it has been in the playoffs.

And as for you Flo?:hitself: haha I'm to "emotional" to even comment of your ridiculous assertion that
None of the Sabres draft picks have proven they can cut it in the NHL....None.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 01:16 AM
risto has proven he can cut it. hes got a long ways to go, but the kids NHL ready.

i chatted via twitter with joe yerdon of pro hockey talk this evening. he said armia is a few weeks away, but should get a chance in buffalo when hes healthy. he felt his time in the finnish leagues has him ready to give it a shot when hes healthy.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 01:20 AM
by the way, when i said boston didnt have a stud D, i meant overall. i know chara is a stud.

coastal
10-29-2013, 10:37 AM
The full on rebuild is on.

there might be a couple of more first round picks to be had if Miller and Moulson are moved.

if we can win the lottery and get the top pick (Rinehart as of now) and a couple of wingers... there's an entire second line in all of one draft.

Tabk one one more year and go all in for McDavid and we may have something.

SkateZilla
10-29-2013, 10:57 AM
The actual Opening of the Net is the Same size, it's just not as deep, which allows for quicker wrap arounds and more room behind the net....

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 11:10 AM
The full on rebuild is on.

there might be a couple of more first round picks to be had if Miller and Moulson are moved.

if we can win the lottery and get the top pick (Rinehart as of now) and a couple of wingers... there's an entire second line in all of one draft.

Tabk one one more year and go all in for McDavid and we may have something.

if the sabres draft 1st overall, and only get a second liner from it, ill be very disappointed.

coastal
10-30-2013, 06:47 AM
if the sabres draft 1st overall, and only get a second liner from it, ill be very disappointed.
Steven Stamkos is a first liner... they aren't in every draft.

SpikedLemonade
10-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Spiked what the hell are you thanking this post for? It's completely WRONG and your team in one great example that proves it. Without Chara your team wouldn't be anywhere as good as it has been in the playoffs.

And as for you Flo?:hitself: haha I'm to "emotional" to even comment of your ridiculous assertion that

I was thanking the Sabres are at least 5 years away part.

Of course, I believe in defense.

OpIv37
10-30-2013, 08:19 AM
You probably don't remember a professional team ever winning championships in Buffalo because they never did. Oh you
So anyone who is willing to do something positive for Buffalo like a professional sports owner should never be criticized.
So, say someone builds a combination office space/condo/hgh end retail complex on an old factory site on the river and brings white collar jobs and tourist dollars to Buffalo.

Then we find out the guy is a pedophile who embezzled money from the corporation to fly to Thailand and have sex with kids.

Is that person exempt from criticism because he helped the city?

Obviously, that's a hyperbolic example to make a point, but the reality is that a sports owner should be criticized for screwing up the sports team no matter what else they do that's good.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Steven Stamkos is a first liner... they aren't in every draft.

steven stamkos sets the bar for super star, not first liner. they are in every draft. some more then others.

coastal
10-31-2013, 07:02 AM
steven stamkos sets the bar for super star, not first liner. they are in every draft. some more then others.
Im about over your obtuse, more reasonable than thou persona.

when your drafting with potentially the first pick overall you should be expecting a superstar.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Im about over your obtuse, more reasonable than thou persona.

when your drafting with potentially the first pick overall you should be expecting a superstar.

isnt that exactly what i said?

that if buffalo drafts first overall, they should be expecting a superstar, not a second liner.

coastal
10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes but not every year has one. And 2014 looks like one of those years.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Yes but not every year has one. And 2014 looks like one of those years.

a stamkos? yeah, you are probably right. when i said every draft has one, i meant first liners. the sabres, if they get a top 2 pick (and i believe they will) will get a future star with that pick. maybe not a mega star like stamkos, but a star. someone you can build a franchise around for sure.

i thought your post meant the sabres could get a whole second line (at best) including the first overall pick. and i thought that was selling some of the prospects way short.

coastal
10-31-2013, 11:42 AM
And so u know... I'm okay with that.

if we get Rinehart and he's a second line center... Cool! A real second line center though... A Bergeron caliber talent... Even if not the same style player.

its a matter of perspective related to talent levels and the talent pool in buffalo down the middle is horid.

we need a franchise player as a second line center and a Hal of Fame type player as a first line center if we are going to compete for a cup year after year.

i think the Sabres might finally realize that.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 11:54 AM
actually, center is considered one of buffalos depths going forward.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/buffalo_sabres/

not much top end talent, but 2/3rd line centers.

as for bergeron, i think hes better then your typical second line center. hes one hell of a talent, both ends of the ice. so if the sabres got a bergeron... HELL YES.

grigs is projected to be a top line center, but if reinhardt is to be had, you get him. maybe they can move grigs to the wing.

coastal
10-31-2013, 12:03 PM
actually, center is considered one of buffalos depths going forward.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/buffalo_sabres/

not much top end talent, but 2/3rd line centers.

as for bergeron, i think hes better then your typical second line center. hes one hell of a talent, both ends of the ice. so if the sabres got a bergeron... HELL YES.

grigs is projected to be a top line center, but if reinhardt is to be had, you get him. maybe they can move grigs to the wing.
I will agree to amend if u rank them as 3rd and 4th line talent. And here's the thing about Bergeron and talent level... the B's have been to the Cup twice recently... won one of them.

And like your idea about Grigs on the wing.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 12:14 PM
I will agree to amend if u rank them as 3rd and 4th line talent. And here's the thing about Bergeron and talent level... the B's have been to the Cup twice recently... won one of them.

And like your idea about Grigs on the wing.

grigs is finally coming around and starting to play like an NHLer. so maybe keep him at C and... god forbid, move hodgson for picks or prospects. or move grigs to the wing.

i like connor hurley. i think he COULD crack the top 6.

another C i really like is justin kea for saginaw. i go to saginaw games here and there and hes a quality player. think paul gaustad with a little more offensive upside. good skater too.

coastal
10-31-2013, 12:27 PM
grigs is finally coming around and starting to play like an NHLer. so maybe keep him at C and... god forbid, move hodgson for picks or prospects. or move grigs to the wing.

i like connor hurley. i think he COULD crack the top 6.

another C i really like is justin kea for saginaw. i go to saginaw games here and there and hes a quality player. think paul gaustad with a little more offensive upside. good skater too.
Jealous u get to see that kind of hockey...

grigs plays a different style.. needs someone to help create space for him. Not sold on him.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Jealous u get to see that kind of hockey...

grigs plays a different style.. needs someone to help create space for him. Not sold on him.

thats true, he does need someone to create space for him, at least for now. but when he gets any kind of space, look out. guy can dish. itll be interesting to see how he grows over the season. hes finally showing some flashes of why he was, at one point, considered a potential first overall pick.

coastal
10-31-2013, 03:10 PM
thats true, he does need someone to create space for him, at least for now. but when he gets any kind of space, look out. guy can dish. itll be interesting to see how he grows over the season. hes finally showing some flashes of why he was, at one point, considered a potential first overall pick.
He kind of strikes me as a very skilled hockey player on Valium.