• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Quarterback Controversy If Thad Wins

I have to ask a hypothetical question.

If Thad Lewis wins 4 out of the next 4 games, what would you do if EJ is healthy?

I think it's a no brainer. Lewis starts if he wins 5 straight (including last week.)
  • Gibby
    • Jun 2006

Re: Quarterback Controversy If Thad Wins

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    I have to ask a hypothetical question.

If Thad Lewis wins 4 out of the next 4 games, what would you do if EJ is healthy?

I think it's a no brainer. Lewis starts if he wins 5 straight (including last week.)
    If Lewis wins the next four games, he might get some votes to the probowl, but yeah if he wins three or more of the next four games then he should be allowed to finish the season. Then in camp we have a legit qb competition, the winner is our starter, the loser gets traded.

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

EJ has to start when he is healthy unless we have a legitimate chance at a playoff birth. I mean, they've gotta see what they have with this kid. If we are 7-4 (we won't be), then you can't take it away from Thaddeus.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Remember what happened the last time we sat the guy that got us to the playoffs ??

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

I'd start Manuel without even thinking about it. Shortly after we're going to be starting Lewis anyway. Call this a wash and let them duke it out in camp.

Big thing stands out to me, have mentioned this before. Hackett said he had Lewis up there with him in the booth when Lewis was PS, to see the offense what he wanted and intended, against the background of the field of play, I seriously hope they have Manuel up there too. The concept is stunningly simple, powerfully obvious and ridiculously educational, and Manuel still needs learn.

We aren't going to win 4 of 4 in any case, if we do, roll with it though.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
            • Aug 2013

Jeez if he wins 4 straight games of course he plays. I can't even wrap my head on us beating the Saints and Chiefs right now so let's take it one game at a time.

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

I'm not going to worry about something that's not going to happen

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

What the heck are you talking about? Can we even win 2 games in a row?

This is like asking, "if we went 12-4, would we have a good shot at the playoffs?"

Comment

• Frenchman
                  June and Summertime!
                  • Apr 2012

E.J. is the future but that has to wait in order to heal!
                  ​Ready for Summertime Fun!

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

The team and doctors can easily slow down EJ's rehab or IR him if Thad is playing well enough to keep the team in games. While EJ's injury was not too serious, he already had one knee surgery right before the start of the season. IMO if Thad continues his steady play then you have no reason to rush EJ back to the field. He is the unquestioned starter if healthy but there is no shame in keeping Thad at the helm if he is serviceable and giving EJ all the time and more he needs to be healthy. Remember Flynn has been signed so the front office obviously has gone through the scenario that if week 12 comes around the team is not quite at wild card team level the bills can easily just let Thad or Flynn ride it out.

Also remember Thad is a RFA next season so letting him get all this playing time in the system is a very good thing because the team owns his rights for another season. Not only for competition to help EJ push himself but also for the team to finally have a serviceable backup QB. There are positives to Thad finishing the season with all this playing time. Never a bad thing to have two qb's that are similar in playing style who can run the same offense well.

Comment

• JoeMama
                      Emotion Sickness
                      • Oct 2002

I don't think you have to worry about Thad Lewis beating the Saints.

Pencil this one in as a loss and live to fight another day.
                      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• RedEyE
                        • Jul 2002

As unlikey as this scenario is, I suppose nothing is impossible. Ahem

Really it all depends on how they win. If they are doing it the way they did last week, with good defensive play, the running game, and simple nearly mistake free contributions from the passing game, then Manuel is instantly injected back into the game the moment he is healthy. If Thad is rocketing 300 yard multi TD games and clearly carrying the offense, then you sit Manuel and have him learn from the bench.

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

Depends. Is HE winning or is the defense, running game winning? AND does the rest of the team really understand that. If Thad manages the game and continues with a few 200 1 and 1 games then I wouldn't say he's the reason we're winning. He's not losing the game, but he's not carrying it either. We could get at least close to that with EJ and he'll develop. So, the argument to go back to him is certainly a strong one. The thing they have to look at will be how the team responds to a change. They may get the same things from EJ, but superstitions of changing could play mental games. That's what happened when Flutie was benched in favor of Johnson. Flutie was given a lot of credit, but the reality is the offense only averaged 14 points/game. Defense and special teams carried us that year and often added points of their own. Johnson also never inspired confidence from the team and that weighed on them. Ralph was just so bent on getting the physically gifted Johnson back in, but I think he also lost the team that day. Truth is neither was very good purely from a playing standpoint and I hope to God that EJ and Thad are a much better combo. Still, the pulse of the team will matter regardless of who they choose. In the end, I Marrone seems to have the confidence of the team and I think they will accept whoever he chooses...most likely EJ.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                            • Jul 2002

The team has a good chance to win 3 of the next 4 regardless of who the QB is (other than Tuel who is worthless to the team with the emergence of Lewis). Two of the games are at home & the Steelers aren't very good. If by some fluke the Bills beat NO, it will be much more likely that the D won the game & Brees had a bad day.

One of the posts above talked about Lewis watching from upstairs during games he didn't play in -EJ is doing the same thing.

Comment

• Victor7
                              • Jul 2013

"Lucky" for us we are not going to win 4 in a row. Its just not gonna happen. But for conversation's sake lets pretend it does.

You keep Thad. No way you bench a guy that gets you 4 straight wins that include W's vs teams like NO and KC. It would be rough on EJ but that's just football.

Comment

Working...
                              X