X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Buffalo Sabres an awful and embarrassing organization: Cox

February 18, 2011, was supposed to be the day that the world changed for the Buffalo Sabres.

That was the day Terry Pegula, an owner with buckets of cash who loves hockey, officially assumed control of the team that the Knox Brothers founded.

No more poverty. No more bankruptcy. No more getting by on the cheap. No more being the feeder squad for the rich boys.

All good.

Instead, it’s pretty much been all bad. The team is off to the worst start in franchise history and has become a yet another case study on how money doesn’t always cure all in pro sports.

Two black eyes on the franchise, a 10-game suspension to uber-rat Patrick Kaleta (upheld on Thursday by Gary Bettman) and an upcoming suspension to gong show artist John Scott for his ridiculous Wednesday evening cheap shot on Boston’s Loui Eriksson are just symptoms, really, of an organization that seems to have completely lost its mind....

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Buffalo Sabres an awful and embarrassing organization: Cox

I said it a while back: Pegula is the NHL's Snyder. He's not a hockey guy. He's just a fan like us or worse in terms of hockey knowledge. The only difference is that he has enough money to buy the team from things completely unrelated to hockey.

The only way it works is if he steps back and puts GOOD hockey people in charge (ie NOT Regier). It took Snyder 15 years to learn that he can't win running the team like he's playing Madden franchise mode. Hopefully it won't take Pegula that long, but based on his actions so far, I'm not counting on it.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

Snyder spent wildly trying to buy a winner. Pegula? Interior decor.

Comment

• rbochan
        Zamboni Driver
        • Jun 2008

Who?
        ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
        it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Btw while I agree with the general sentiment of the article, I disagree with a few particular points.

First, Ruff is not one of the best coaches in the business. His record here speaks for itself. His inability to win the big one and do things like fix the PP in less than a decade are proof that he's no one of the best.

Second, the Scott and Kaleta incidents are inconsequential. Kaleta is what he is- we all know it and we've known it for years. And the Scott incident is way overblown. The only reason it's a big deal is because it's making people outside of Buffalo realize what Sabres fans already knew: this guy doesn't belong on an NHL roster. It's not because of the hit- it's because he isn't an NHL level talent. He's the old-skool goon that teams just can't afford to waste a roster spot on in today's NHL. The fact that Scott is on the roster is the embarrassment, not the incident.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by rbochan View Post
            Who?
            Well respected long-time sports writer for the Toronto Star however if it makes you feel more important, he quotes a Buffalo News writer.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
              • Jan 2003

BS, Snyder is an ass that wants to line his wallet. Pegula really wants change and to win. You should see what is happening downtown partially because of him. And he seems to be doing it more at his own expense than asking for tax money. Sure he should reap huge financial gain too, but I believe that is besides the point.

Where I believe Pegula has dropped the ball is the retention (and continual retention from the start) of Regier. I really believe the guy is such a nice guy, that he doesn't want to fire Darcy. That is bad in the sports world where firing people who don't produce is the norm. Onliy time will tell.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Ralph or Pegula are beyond criticism since they were willing to invest in the City of Buffalo by owning a team right?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                  Ralph or Pegula are beyond criticism since they were willing to invest in the City of Buffalo by owning a team right?

Who said that?

Don't be a dumbass.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• sukie
                    Seriously?
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
                    Pegula really wants change and to win. You should see what is happening downtown partially because of him. And he seems to be doing it more at his own expense than asking for tax money.

What does Downtown have to do with the hockey product he expects fans to pay for? I would estimate, and it's only a guess... NOTHING.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
                      BS, Snyder is an ass that wants to line his wallet. Pegula really wants change and to win. You should see what is happening downtown partially because of him. And he seems to be doing it more at his own expense than asking for tax money. Sure he should reap huge financial gain too, but I believe that is besides the point.

Where I believe Pegula has dropped the ball is the retention (and continual retention from the start) of Regier. I really believe the guy is such a nice guy, that he doesn't want to fire Darcy. That is bad in the sports world where firing people who don't produce is the norm. Onliy time will tell.
                      Yes, compared to Snyder, Pegula is more philanthropic and less of a money-grubbing egomaniac, but you completely missed the point. The point is that they are both people with no real experience or background in the sport in which thus now own a team, and they both try to run the team personally although neither is qualified to do so. Case and point: Snyder kept Vinny Cerrato as VP for player personnel for years, despite an utter lack of results, just like you are complaining about Pegula and Regier.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Pegula has about as much hockey acumen as my cat.

His issue is just going along with whatever his right hand man Sawyer wants ( which is Reigier wearing a teddy ) There is no other explanation why he is still GM. Meanwhile, Black dies a thousand deaths trying to explain it all and wishes out.

The amazing thing is how long this could go on before a change is actually made. It's become a sad comedy to us and hysterical entertainment to the rest of the NHL.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                          • Aug 2012

im not a pegula guy. its obvious he has no hockey sense. if he did, darcy would no longer be GM of this team.
                          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

i still have faith in pegula. he's focused on big picture hockey heaven, and helping buffalo with the harbor center, etc. There is change coming there that no other owner or business person would take on. 5 years from now, buffalo will have more tournaments, more college hockey events, perhaps more NHL events because of those investments. That's good for buffalo.

as for today's hockey, it's like they want to follow the penguins model to a T. They are more focused on letting regier take the blame, hit rock bottom and then insert their guy at end of season. if that's the plan, i'm on board.

but i really don't think it's fair. they let regier pick another coach who assumeably has a contract that the will have to break at the end of the season. these are decisions that should have been made 3 years ago. the fact darcy was given a wallet and still extended stafford and then picked up pieces that didn't work meant that his approach failed. if he would have tanked the team then and started fresh, i would have given him a little bit of leeway to build the team.

i was ready for a bad season, but i really didn't expect they'd be so incompetent and so uninterested as a team.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              Yes, compared to Snyder, Pegula is more philanthropic and less of a money-grubbing egomaniac, but you completely missed the point. The point is that they are both people with no real experience or background in the sport in which thus now own a team, and they both try to run the team personally although neither is qualified to do so. Case and point: Snyder kept Vinny Cerrato as VP for player personnel for years, despite an utter lack of results, just like you are complaining about Pegula and Regier.
                              I don't think Pegula is trying to run the team at all, and he has said as much, that he hired people to do that. If I were to pick another guy that might need to go, it is Sawyer who appartently was the guy who told Pegula that Darcy was the man for the job. I didn't miss the point, I don't agree with the point.

Comment

Working...
                              X