PDA

View Full Version : What Miller is Worth?

SpikedLemonade
10-26-2013, 06:01 PM
The Sabres will NOT get more than a 2nd round pick for him.

Darcy suck my coq you piece of crap GM.

Skooby
10-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Could you be more specific about Darcy?

coastal
10-26-2013, 09:27 PM
You resign him if you can at this point.

JATMtheJATM
10-27-2013, 12:00 PM
18-24 overall pick. or a 7.5B prospect or slightly lower.

SpikedLemonade
10-27-2013, 08:02 PM
18-24 overall pick. or a 7.5B prospect or slightly lower.

Never going to happen.

JATMtheJATM
10-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Never going to happen.

you asked what he was worth, not what i think will happen.

Rockstar
10-27-2013, 11:23 PM
I'll say this about Darcy, he knows how to get the most out of deals. Find a team that needs goaltending as their piece to go deep in the playoffs or a team that needs a marketable name to fill seats and the return could be better than many think.

Miller is still a very good goaltender and Lindy was the worst coach in history in managing net-minders. Miller could have been even better if Ruff played his backups at the correct times.

trapezeus
10-28-2013, 07:54 AM
do the olympics effect miller's trade value? if he isn't on the team or the starter, will his value drop?

OpIv37
10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
do the olympics effect miller's trade value? if he isn't on the team or the starter, will his value drop?

I almost wonder if not making the Olympics helps him. It means he'll be well- rested for the playoff push.

OpIv37
10-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Btw while Darcy has a history of getting good trade value, I think he will probably have to sell low on Miller.

Teams know we are breaking it down, teams know he likely won't re-sign and will walk for nothing at the end of the season if he's not traded, so they can use that to force Darcy's hand. The closer it gets to the deadline, the less we will get for him.

The only possible exception is if 2 or 3 playoff level teams have goaltender injuries and we get a bidding war- but that seems highly unlikely.

trapezeus
10-28-2013, 09:31 AM
i actually think goaltending is so mental and a guy playing well in November can lose his mojo for whatever reason. if you are a high priced team, and just want to have two good options in the playoffs because you know this is the core that's got to get it done, you might toss your 28th pick in the draft to get a guarantee between having a streaky goalie and his unproven back up or having a legit starter to help the whole team look better.

i think the sabres can fleece a team for picks here too. plus, i'd like to see hackett getting some games here and there during this lost season than finding out that he sucks, next season.

I'm not saying i think he will suck, i'm just saying, we know this season is a waste. so you might as well see everyone's audition.

mightysimi
10-29-2013, 11:16 AM
The problem is there isn't too many teams that see a goalie as severe need to upgrade. At least not anyone who is good enough to be in the discussion. Just off the top of my head, teams that need goalies are:
Calgary - rebuild won't trade assets
Edmonton - Miller apparently doesn't want to go there although they do have the assets to make a good deal
Minnesota - maybe with Backstrom being hurt and Harding not proven over a long stretch
Florida - essentially a rebuild won't want to trade assets
Philly - Should be a rebuild but you never know with Holmgren
NYI - Already gave you the draft picks. Won't give you Strome or Reinhart well shouldn't this is the Isle we are talking about
Nashville - depends on set back to Rinne but will need to be in contention to even think about it

That's about it. Most other teams have entrenched starters. Baring an injury, I'd say your leverage is pretty low.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 11:20 AM
The problem is there isn't too many teams that see a goalie as severe need to upgrade. At least not anyone who is good enough to be in the discussion. Just off the top of my head, teams that need goalies are:
Calgary - rebuild won't trade assets
Edmonton - Miller apparently doesn't want to go there although they do have the assets to make a good deal
Minnesota - maybe with Backstrom being hurt and Harding not proven over a long stretch
Florida - essentially a rebuild won't want to trade assets
Philly - Should be a rebuild but you never know with Holmgren
NYI - Already gave you the draft picks. Won't give you Strome or Reinhart well shouldn't this is the Isle we are talking about
Nashville - depends on set back to Rinne but will need to be in contention to even think about it

That's about it. Most other teams have entrenched starters. Baring an injury, I'd say your leverage is pretty low.

pittsburg too. vokoun is a huge question mark, and MAF, despite having all the talent in the world, never put it all together. he hasnt performed well in the playoffs. i could see miller going to pitt.

OpIv37
10-29-2013, 11:36 AM
pittsburg too. vokoun is a huge question mark, and MAF, despite having all the talent in the world, never put it all together. he hasnt performed well in the playoffs. i could see miller going to pitt.
I seriously doubt they could absorb the cap hit.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 11:40 AM
I seriously doubt they could absorb the cap hit.

by the time the deadline comes around, the cap hit ratio is significantly less. and, like vanek, the sabres could retain some of his cap hit.

Epicness
10-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Calgary - rebuild won't trade assets agree
Edmonton - Miller apparently doesn't want to go there although they do have the assets to make a good deal I think Edmonton really has to be pushing for a playoff spot to want to make a deal for Miller. Seems unlikely
Minnesota - maybe with Backstrom being hurt and Harding not proven over a long stretch Backstrom is coming back shortly and Harding was been outstanding. I think it's unlikely for Minnesota to have a large interest
Florida - essentially a rebuild won't want to trade assets Markstrom is their guy, can't see any interest
Philly - Should be a rebuild but you never know with Holmgren I agree. Philly is a wildcard. You never know with them..
NYI - Already gave you the draft picks. Won't give you Strome or Reinhart well shouldn't this is the Isle we are talking about Unlikely NYI wants Miller or we would have seen everything go down in the Vanek trade
Nashville - depends on set back to Rinne but will need to be in contention to even think about it Rinne is an elite goalie. They have trading pieces but I can't see them needing Miller unless he went down.

A key injury to a team is key for the Sabres having leverage to move Miller just like you said.

The teams that I look at that would have a cause for concern if their starter suffered a major injury would be:

Chicago - Crawford with Khabibulin as their backup.
Boston - Rask with Johnson as their backup. Although I think they'd call up Subban before they made a deal.
Habs - Price with Budaj as a backup, although Budaj is suitable but I don't think he's a guy you want you season to depend on.
BlueJackets - If Goalie Bob were to go down they'd be screwed.
NYR - If Henrik went down they'd be screwed.
Pens - Self explanatory. Who knows how they feel about Fleury healthy for playoffs of not. They are a wildcard.
Sharks - They have a bunch of young goalies but if Niemi went down I think they'd pull the trigger on Miller.
Yotes - I could see them pulling the trigger on Miller if they were really in it.
Kings - If Quick goes down they are doomed. They'd have to do something.
Blues - I could see them turning to Allen if Halak went down before trying to trade.

Just my opinion.

Given the right situation with a team desperate enough, I think the Sabres could still nail down a first for Miller from the right team. He's absolutely worth a 2nd and a B-/C prospect IMO though.

mightysimi
10-29-2013, 03:33 PM

You would have to take Fleury back which you won't/shouldn't do.

mightysimi
10-29-2013, 03:36 PM
A key injury to a team is key for the Sabres having leverage to move Miller just like you said.

The teams that I look at that would have a cause for concern if their starter suffered a major injury would be:

Chicago - Crawford with Khabibulin as their backup.
Boston - Rask with Johnson as their backup. Although I think they'd call up Subban before they made a deal.
Habs - Price with Budaj as a backup, although Budaj is suitable but I don't think he's a guy you want you season to depend on.
BlueJackets - If Goalie Bob were to go down they'd be screwed.
NYR - If Henrik went down they'd be screwed.
Pens - Self explanatory. Who knows how they feel about Fleury healthy for playoffs of not. They are a wildcard.
Sharks - They have a bunch of young goalies but if Niemi went down I think they'd pull the trigger on Miller.
Yotes - I could see them pulling the trigger on Miller if they were really in it.
Kings - If Quick goes down they are doomed. They'd have to do something.
Blues - I could see them turning to Allen if Halak went down before trying to trade.

Just my opinion.

Given the right situation with a team desperate enough, I think the Sabres could still nail down a first for Miller from the right team. He's absolutely worth a 2nd and a B-/C prospect IMO though.

That's it most of those situations are depending on injury. Blues still have Elliott though. If one of those goalies go down long term, I can see you getting a first round pick for him. I don't think any of these teams throw away a first round pick for what is essentially setting up a goalie controversy at the first sign of adversity. Without injury I think the market will be pretty shallow.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 03:40 PM

not necessarily. they would probably have to take back some salary, maybe jussi jokinen or something, but hi, going to pitt if vokoun is out longer is very much in play.

- - - Updated - - -

not necessarily. they would probably have to take back some salary, maybe jussi jokinen or something, but hi, going to pitt if vokoun is out longer is very much in play.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 03:44 PM

not necessarily at all.

mightysimi
10-29-2013, 03:59 PM
not necessarily at all.

They aren't going to keep around 13 or so million dollars in goalies. Plus if they had the cap room to afford anything they would have kept Iginla. Capgeek has their cap room at 0. Unless Buffalo agrees to pay his entire salary which is unlikely.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 05:21 PM
They aren't going to keep around 13 or so million dollars in goalies. Plus if they had the cap room to afford anything they would have kept Iginla. Capgeek has their cap room at 0. Unless Buffalo agrees to pay his entire salary which is unlikely.

as the season rolls on, the cap hit becomes less, fractions. so, by the deadline, the pens could easily afford miller by moving jokinen or another player.

the pens were linked to miller before the season started for this very reason. if vokoun is able to return, its irrelevant anyways. but if hes not, the pens will look for goaltending help given MAFS struggles in the post season the past 2 years. and who better then miller, who is a UFA after the season?

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 08:35 PM
i know that doesnt mean anything, but this miller to edmonton thing just wont die.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I&#39;m playing Devil&#39;s GM here: would you give up Yakupov for Ryan Miller? Feel free to add a draft pick to either side of the ledger</p>&mdash; The Hockey News (@TheHockeyNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheHockeyNews/statuses/395363407882641409">October 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/10/30-thoughts-nhl-gms-want-teams-to-pay-for-players-violations.html

talks about st louis being possibly very interested in miller.

gebobs
10-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Who woulda thunk that bum Gaustad would have been worth a first rounder? Darcy will find his shill.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Who woulda thunk that bum Gaustad would have been worth a first rounder? Darcy will find his shill.

well, the red wings gave up a first for quincey..... leads me to believe moulson, miller, AND ott could get first if a team is desperate enough for a certain need. ott is a stretch, but if goose and quincey can get a first, its possible.

trapezeus
10-30-2013, 02:47 PM
at some point, the sabres will need some legit vets if the rebuild isn't going to take 5 years. if they jettison everyone, then the picks have to be day 1 ready quickly and we need a star or two in the system that i don't think we have yet.

If the sabres are really married to darcy, they need to get some good vets and keep them at the trade deadline so that they can show improvement at back end of season and give people a reason to think we have a chance next year.

if the goal is to just go rookies and develop this from scratch, the fans won't have the patience of darcy overseeing it.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 03:05 PM
at some point, the sabres will need some legit vets if the rebuild isn't going to take 5 years. if they jettison everyone, then the picks have to be day 1 ready quickly and we need a star or two in the system that i don't think we have yet.

If the sabres are really married to darcy, they need to get some good vets and keep them at the trade deadline so that they can show improvement at back end of season and give people a reason to think we have a chance next year.

if the goal is to just go rookies and develop this from scratch, the fans won't have the patience of darcy overseeing it.

i dont think darcy will oversee it. i think youll see older, twilight of their career vets come in, like pittsburg did. maybe they wont get leclaire, but theyll get some vets.

mightysimi
10-30-2013, 03:57 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/10/30-thoughts-nhl-gms-want-teams-to-pay-for-players-violations.html

talks about st louis being possibly very interested in miller.

They must not be sold on Halak. Elliott and Allen are both pretty good as well. You might get a first out of them as it will be low.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
They must not be sold on Halak. Elliott and Allen are both pretty good as well. You might get a first out of them as it will be low.

possibly. i could see one coming back in a trade and the sabres keep that one till the end of the season. halak had such a good 2010 postseason, but hasnt been able to recapture that seasons magic.

i think the return of miller is mixed. you have some saying a second is realistic, and some saying alot of teams couldnt afford miller for what darcy wants. i think the sabres can get a first for him, but a second and a third is more likely.

but who knows. maybe the fact that edmonton keeps coming up has something to it. but how many times have we heard a rumored trade that was so ongoing that it wasnt a matter of if, but when, only for nothing to come of it?

im ready for the enroth era. and hackett. enroth deserves his chance, even if i dont feel he will ever be a top flight goaltender.

i hope the sabres take a goalie high this draft. still can not believe they passed on fucale.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 09:30 PM
heard varlamov was arrested for second degree kidnapping???

that could be a miller destination, if this is real.

Downinfloflo
10-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Varlamov is an athlete, The rules don't apply to them...He will be on the ice in a few days.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Varlamov is an athlete, The rules don't apply to them...He will be on the ice in a few days.

thats how i ultimately feel, but kidnapping is kinda a different ballgame.

Downinfloflo
10-30-2013, 10:05 PM
The kidnapping charge is a misdemeanor..And with his fleet of lawyers he will get a fine at most.

And this won't even go to court until his season is over...After he see's the judge in a day or two..it will be business as usual.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-10-30/semyon-varlamov-arrested-domestic-violence-charges-avs-goalies

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 10:29 PM
The kidnapping charge is a misdemeanor..And with his fleet of lawyers he will get a fine at most.

And this won't even go to court until his season is over...After he see's the judge in a day or two..it will be business as usual.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-10-30/semyon-varlamov-arrested-domestic-violence-charges-avs-goalies

the article i read said it was a class four felony with sentences of 2-6 years.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/10/30/5049178/semyon-varlamov-charges-kidnapping-assault

hes being held without bail overnight.

will it be lowered? probably.

denverboz
10-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Assault class 1 misdemeanor, kidnapping class 4 felony.

Downinfloflo
10-30-2013, 11:30 PM
If we did this we would be in trouble.....He makes wealthy men more wealthy....he walks!!

denverboz
10-30-2013, 11:35 PM
It's a shame too, he really is an excellent goalie and a big, big part of why the Avs are 10-1.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 11:40 PM
If we did this we would be in trouble.....He makes wealthy men more wealthy....he walks!!

probably, but im not quite as sure as you. every once in a while, an athlete is made an example of.

trapezeus
10-31-2013, 07:32 AM
awesome, so we'll get get stasny like 3 years after the original rumors.

Uncle Jesse
10-31-2013, 09:34 AM
As an Avs fan, Miller interests me if this whole deal with Varly is legit, but at what cost? We know the Sabres try and want 1st rounders and such in return for guys with expiring contracts. That's not something that the Avs would part with for him I don't think.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 11:11 AM
As an Avs fan, Miller interests me if this whole deal with Varly is legit, but at what cost? We know the Sabres try and want 1st rounders and such in return for guys with expiring contracts. That's not something that the Avs would part with for him I don't think.
if the aves continue to play good hockey, the value of their first drops significantly. so if they need a goalie, and they are still up in the standings, i think they may deal it away.

denverboz
10-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Well the Avs still have a pretty good back up goalie in Giguere, 3-0 .67 goals against. Maybe the only question is can he carry the load of starting most of the time.
Both the Avs goalies have been looking pretty outstanding this year, I say that having seen just about all their games here in CO.

More news on Varlamov:

DENVER - In documents released on Thursday, (http://www.9news.com/assetpool/documents/131031122350_Semyon-Varlamov-police-report.pdf) Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov's girlfriend goes into detail of the domestic abuse allegations.

Varlamov appeared in a Denver court on Thursday, facing charges of second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault related to this incident. He bonded out of jail Thursday after his court appearance.

His girlfriend says the encounter happened on Monday at her home in the 1700 block of Bassett Street.

According to the police report, Varlamov allegedly kicked her, stomped on her, dragged her around the house and threatened her. The woman had bruises consistent with a physical encounter, the police report said.

Beats me why she has even stayed with him! Must be love! It still doesn't justify his actions and aggression.

According to the girlfriend's attorney Jack Abrams, the couple have a history of domestic disturbances. He says this marks the fourth or fifth time they have had run-ins with one another - including one occasion where he says she was knocked unconscious over the summer during a vacation on a Mediterranean island. They have been together for about four years after meeting in Russia. She works as a model in the U.S.
http://www.9news.com/news/article/362551/339/Varlamovs-gf-says-he-pushed-kicked-her

Downinfloflo
10-31-2013, 01:39 PM
(G) Jonas Hiller is also on the trade block.....

Downinfloflo
10-31-2013, 01:43 PM
DENVER - Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=semyon+varlamov) will be allowed out of jail and be able to travel with the team while prosecutors consider charging him in a domestic violence case.

denverboz
10-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Russia thinks the charges are all trumped up.

Russian official: Semyon Varlamov arrest “sabotage” ahead of Olympics (http://nhl.si.com/2013/10/31/russian-official-semyon-varlamov-arrest-sabotage-ahead-of-olympics/)
Nice try, America, but Russia is on to you.
According to Igor Ananskikh, a senior Russian parliamentarian, the arrest Wednesday night of Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov (http://nhl.si.com/2013/10/30/semyon-varlamov-avalanche-arrested-domestic-assault/) on charges of assault and kidnapping was merely a plot to prevent Russia from winning the gold medal in hockey at the Sochi Olympics.
http://nhl.si.com/2013/10/31/russian-official-semyon-varlamov-arrest-sabotage-ahead-of-olympics/

denverboz
10-31-2013, 01:58 PM
DENVER - Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=semyon+varlamov) will be allowed out of jail and be able to travel with the team while prosecutors consider charging him in a domestic violence case.

You got a link for him being able to travel with the team?

And anyways even if allowed to, doesn't necessarily mean the Avs would have him or want him to This isn't like Patrick Roy back in 2000 when his wife called the police cuz she was scared **** of him after he tore two doors off their hinges while in an argument with her. Roy was arrested at the time, but charges were later dropped.

There's pretty convincing proof here Varmalov beat on his girlfriend. Now maybe he can buy her off to get the charges dropped, who knows.

One thing for sure he sure would take a lot of abuse on the road for this.

And I'm pretty sure they have already charged him, hence him having to be bonded out.

Downinfloflo
10-31-2013, 02:07 PM
You got a link for him being able to travel with the team?

And anyways even if allowed to, doesn't necessarily mean the Avs would have him or want him to This isn't like Patrick Roy back in 2000 when his wife called the police cuz she was scared **** of him after he tore two doors off their hinges while in an argument with her. Roy was arrested at the time, but charges were later dropped.

There's pretty convincing proof here Varmalov beat on his girlfriend. Now maybe he can buy her off to get the charges dropped, who knows.

One thing for sure he sure would take a lot of abuse on the road for this.

And I'm pretty sure they have already charged him, hence him having to be bonded out.

His bail was only 5 grand...

Here is the link.. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=435521

denverboz
10-31-2013, 02:15 PM
What happened? "As the evidence was presented to me," Abrams (her attorney) told the broadcaster, "he threw her into the wall, she went to the floor, and he was stomping on her, and that's what caused the bruising and the damage in this area."Abrams stressed the size differential between the two. He described Varlamov as six-foot two and more than 200 pounds, while his girlfriend is "five-foot three, 100-and-nothing pounds." She was reportedly hospitalized for her injuries, and Abrams is quoted as saying that because this wasn't the first time something like this had happened, the woman decided it was time to "go lock him up."
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2013/10/semyon_varlamov_colorado_avalanche_arrest_girlfriend_photos.php

denverboz
10-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Here is the link.. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=435521

Thanks.

Downinfloflo
10-31-2013, 02:18 PM
He's out on bail and he get's to leave the state...After being charged with a felony.

Having money is a great thing in America....She will get a check and this will be all over with in a few weeks...It's how America works when your wealthy.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 02:20 PM
(G) Jonas Hiller is also on the trade block.....

hillers history of vertigo is concerning. hes been good for a while, but that never goes away. its why jeff hackett retired. im no doctor, so i have no idea how bad it is, but its something to mention.

denverboz
10-31-2013, 02:26 PM
He's out on bail and he get's to leave the state...After being charged with a felony.

Having money is a great thing in America....She will get a check and this will be all over with in a few weeks...It's how America works when your wealthy.

Sad but true! Of course if this has actually happened a number of times before like is contended she might refuse to be paid off. Stay tuned!

I just hope for her sake, she's not one of those crazy *****es who can't leave an abusive relationship. Otherwise good chance she may end up dead one of these days. Happens all the time!

Downinfloflo
10-31-2013, 02:27 PM
hillers history of vertigo is concerning. hes been good for a while, but that never goes away. its why jeff hackett retired. im no doctor, so i have no idea how bad it is, but its something to mention.

Bob Mckenzie was on NBCSN last night and he said he think's Hiller will be moved before Miller..

He said the need for a #1 goalie is pretty weak in the NHL, That's why Miller is still with Buffalo.

St Louis Halak is playing well (he's 7-1) and the only reason they (Blues) are mentioned in any goalie rumors is because of injuries to Halak the last few seasons.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Bob Mckenzie was on NBCSN last night and he said he think's Hiller will be moved before Miller..

He said the need for a #1 goalie is pretty weak in the NHL, That's why Miller is still with Buffalo.

St Louis Halak is playing well (he's 7-1) and the only reason they (Blues) are mentioned in any goalie rumors is because of injuries to Halak the last few seasons.

thats very possible he is moved first. because hiller will likely require less of a return. especially with darcy, he seems to ask for the highest realistic price.

Downinfloflo
10-31-2013, 02:40 PM
If the Sabres are going to trade Miller, they should do it ASAP (http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/29/if-the-sabres-are-going-to-trade-miller-they-should-do-it-asap/) http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/29/if-the-sabres-are-going-to-trade-miller-they-should-do-it-asap/related/
(Buffalo gives up a ton of shots, if you haven’t noticed.) Regier may want to take advantage of Miller’s numbers now, while they’re still respectable, because there’s a chance they may not be for long, and that would obviously make it harder to get good value in a deal.
—- Teams that aren’t getting good goaltending (like, say, Edmonton) could be all but eliminated from playoff contention by March 5, the NHL’s trade deadline. Miller is a pending unrestricted free agent. If he’s traded as a rental (i.e. without a contract extension in place) like Vanek was, there should theoretically be more potential destinations now, when teams still have hope of making a comeback, than later, when hope has been extinguished.
—- Miller isn’t the only goalie that’s the subject of trade speculation. For example, Anaheim may end up moving Jonas Hiller (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/2366/jonas-hiller). Similar to the point made above, Regier doesn’t want to be left trying to trade an asset nobody needs anymore. Ask the Vancouver Canucks how holding out for a better offer worked for them in the case of Roberto Luongo (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/842/roberto-luongo). Very different contract situations, obviously. But the point remains. The goalie market is a unique one. It can dry up real fast.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 02:45 PM
If the Sabres are going to trade Miller, they should do it ASAP (http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/29/if-the-sabres-are-going-to-trade-miller-they-should-do-it-asap/) http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/29/if-the-sabres-are-going-to-trade-miller-they-should-do-it-asap/related/

(Buffalo gives up a ton of shots, if you haven’t noticed.) Regier may want to take advantage of Miller’s numbers now, while they’re still respectable, because there’s a chance they may not be for long, and that would obviously make it harder to get good value in a deal.
—- Teams that aren’t getting good goaltending (like, say, Edmonton) could be all but eliminated from playoff contention by March 5, the NHL’s trade deadline. Miller is a pending unrestricted free agent. If he’s traded as a rental (i.e. without a contract extension in place) like Vanek was, there should theoretically be more potential destinations now, when teams still have hope of making a comeback, than later, when hope has been extinguished.
—- Miller isn’t the only goalie that’s the subject of trade speculation. For example, Anaheim may end up moving Jonas Hiller (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/2366/jonas-hiller). Similar to the point made above, Regier doesn’t want to be left trying to trade an asset nobody needs anymore. Ask the Vancouver Canucks how holding out for a better offer worked for them in the case of Roberto Luongo (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/842/roberto-luongo). Very different contract situations, obviously. But the point remains. The goalie market is a unique one. It can dry up real fast.

i actually agree with that. i feel buffalo should move miller soon, and let enroth and hackett play. but darcy claims there are no offers right now. but who knows if thats true.

Downinfloflo
10-31-2013, 02:53 PM
i actually agree with that. i feel buffalo should move miller soon, and let enroth and hackett play. but darcy claims there are no offers right now. but who knows if thats true.

Listening to the talking heads it sound's like it's true.

Teams GM's know they have Darcy by the balls on this one.

Miller is a 33 year old goalie with a 6 mill cap hit and he's a UFA at seasons end.

He also has a list of 8 teams he will not go to, That's makes a complicated situation a bit more complicated.

Goalies are hard to move....Teams can only play one at a time...I don't think anyone wants to give up much for Miller if they can't work out a contract before hand.

I think spiked was right, If Buffalo get's offered a 2nd rounder (Or a Prospect) for Miller you take it and run and move on.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Listening to the talking heads it sound's like it's true.

Teams GM's know they have Darcy by the balls on this one.

Miller is a 33 year old goalie with a 6 mill cap hit and he's a UFA at seasons end.

He also has a list of 8 teams he will not go to, That's makes a complicated situation a bit more complicated.

Goalies are hard to move....Teams can only play one at a time...I don't think anyone wants to give up much for Miller if they can't work out a contract before hand.

I think spiked was right, If Buffalo get's offered a 2nd rounder (Or a Prospect) for Miller you take it and run and move on.

yes, but like you said, just as quick as the goalie market can dry up, it flood just as fast. so the real thing is gotta know when to go in, and when to wait.

problem is, thats easier said then done.

Downinfloflo
10-31-2013, 03:05 PM
yes, but like you said, just as quick as the goalie market can dry up, it flood just as fast. so the real thing is gotta know when to go in, and when to wait.

problem is, thats easier said then done.

The longer the Sabres wait the less they will get....Miller is taking a beating this season..And it's not going to get any easier for him.

Teams may just sit back and wait, And throw their hat into the ring when he's a FA and keep their picks and prospects.

The Sabres don't hold the card's on this one...

SpikedLemonade
10-31-2013, 04:32 PM
thats very possible he is moved first. because hiller will likely require less of a return. especially with darcy, he seems to ask for the highest realistic price.

What a fantastic GM he is.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 04:41 PM
What a fantastic GM he is.

if you are going to quote me, at least understand my point.

SpikedLemonade
10-31-2013, 04:49 PM
if you are going to quote me, at least understand my point.

What is there to understand? That Darcy asks for as much as he believes he can get?

You Sabre fans are pathetic. In any city that did not have such a low self-esteem, Darcy would gave been gone long ago.

"But, but who can we get that is better?"

trapezeus
10-31-2013, 04:55 PM
i think if you are a team in the top 10 and on the lower end, you may want to have flexibility to pull a goalie and go with someone else. There is always a team in the playoffs that gets lackluster play, and they go to the back up and if he gets hot, it's a beautiful thing. and if he doesn't, you kick yourself because you were scoring goals.

Miller might not be against sitting a little bit to be given a shot to carry the load in the playoffs.

i agree they should try and move him sooner than later, but injuries and flakiness of goalies always gets people panic-y as it gets closer to playoff time.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 04:58 PM
What is there to understand? That Darcy asks for as much as he believes he can get?

You Sabre fans are pathetic. In any city that did not have such a low self-esteem, Darcy would gave been gone long ago.

"But, but who can we get that is better?"

on a scale of 1-20 on a players worth, lets say miller is a 15. so darcy sets a price and wants a return of something in the 13-17 range. anything below 15, he loses the trade, anything above, he wins.

say a team offers a 13. another offers a 14. darcy seems to hold out and wait for a 17. he always seems to hold out for better, which is fine, except eventually moves dont get made because of it.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 11:14 PM
hmm. varly may be with the team for now, but im not so sure this is simply going to blow over for him as the story continues to unfold.

Downinfloflo
11-01-2013, 12:25 AM
hmm. varly may be with the team for now, but im not so sure this is simply going to blow over for him as the story continues to unfold.

They got nothing on him..

He was going out with this chick for a year...She came back to the house, Her **** was in the hall and he cut her off from the bank account...She got pissed...Went to the cops the NEXT day..

If he kicked her in the chest and stomped her when she was on the ground (Like she said he did) she would have broken ribs...And if she had any marks on her he would most likely still be locked up.

Rockstar
11-01-2013, 12:32 AM
With all this said I want to put it out there that I'm for paying and keeping Miller. What is my reasoning for this?

Having two solid net-minders is the key to keeping your number 1 guy healthy and motivated. These games we are in are horrible and that affects the development of young minds, if Miller wasn't here these losses would be significantly worse. For instance the disgusting performance against a very average Rangers squad tonight. Miller kept us in a game that we had NO right being in. Staying within two goals allows the kids to play for something rather than just getting pummeled and developing a negative mind set.

I would keep Miller, I want him to retire a Buffalo Sabre. Hell I really think this team will be very good in two years so Miller might even have the opportunity to win with us!

Downinfloflo
11-01-2013, 01:12 AM
The game looked like a practice at the MSG training center...It even shocked the Rangers players how easy it was to get/hold onto the puck.

Rangers will be a much better team when Nash and Callahan are back in the lineup and Hagelin get's his legs back under him (Only his 2nd game of season)

The Sabres are lucky to have 2 wins...The Panthers had almost 50 shot's and Miller saved the day.

Miller will be calling his agent to tell him that he will rip up his NMC to get the hell out of dodge.

The Sabres could very well be 2-20 in their next 8 games. :rrich:

BuffaloRedleg
11-01-2013, 01:28 AM
With all this said I want to put it out there that I'm for paying and keeping Miller. What is my reasoning for this?

Having two solid net-minders is the key to keeping your number 1 guy healthy and motivated. These games we are in are horrible and that affects the development of young minds, if Miller wasn't here these losses would be significantly worse. For instance the disgusting performance against a very average Rangers squad tonight. Miller kept us in a game that we had NO right being in. Staying within two goals allows the kids to play for something rather than just getting pummeled and developing a negative mind set.

I would keep Miller, I want him to retire a Buffalo Sabre. Hell I really think this team will be very good in two years so Miller might even have the opportunity to win with us!

I love your attitude. I foresee a trade and then trade back for league min when he retires.

It always miffed me in the end what happened with Hasek. He's no Hasek, obviously, but who is.

At least he's never asked for a trade.

BuffaloRedleg
11-01-2013, 01:30 AM
The game looked like a practice at the MSG training center...It even shocked the Rangers players how easy it was to get/hold onto the puck.

Rangers will be a much better team when Nash and Callahan are back in the lineup and Hagelin get's his legs back under him (Only his 2nd game of season)

The Sabres are lucky to have 2 wins...The Panthers had almost 50 shot's and Miller saved the day.

Miller will be calling his agent to tell him that he will rip up his NMC to get the hell out of dodge.

I know you are Ranger trolling. We get that, and it is pretty fun when we are at least playing in the same league.

Kind of classless to kick a man while he is down though. Save it brother.

I think there is a breaking point on other team's forums for trolling. Obviously it's all in good fun, but this is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal bad. Cut us some slack, making jokes is just grabbing low hanging fruit at this point.

JATMtheJATM
11-01-2013, 01:43 AM

i was reading on twitter that its possible miller will sign an extension. not likely, but possible.

JATMtheJATM
11-01-2013, 01:44 AM

all the better if they are. get that first overall pick, get the kids playing. itll click for em eventually.

JATMtheJATM
11-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Hell I really think this team will be very good in two years so Miller might even have the opportunity to win with us!

im right there with ya man. once the kids develop, this team is going to be good. but i think 2 years is a little too soon. i think 3.

coastal
11-01-2013, 06:37 AM

I couldn't agree more that keeping miller at this point is the right play.

three years ago was the time to trade him.

now is the time to leave the vet in place to help in the process of helping this young defensive core grow into the league.

OpIv37
11-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I think that if this team is truly rebuilding, we need to move aging players like Miller and get younger guys in return.

That being said, it's hard to find good goaltending so I won't be Jose if we keep him, provided he signs a long term deal (or even a short term deal so we could still move him in the future).

One thing that absolutely can't happen: he can't walk for nothing. If that happens, Darcy should be fired on the spot.