PDA

View Full Version : I think I like this

WagonCircler
10-27-2013, 08:55 PM
For how many years have we been hearing "blow up the core"?

I hate Darcy as much as anybody, and I want him gone. But I like the thought process that seems to be at work here, if for no other reason than the fact that it's the exact opposite of the Sabres' modus operandi over the past couple of decades.

I like that the new kids are bigger and seem tougher. I like that they're going through a baptism by fire in the NHL, rather than the middling training that past Sabres have gotten in the AHL.

I like it that Steve Ott is now the sole captain of this team. THAT'S the attitude I want to see out there.

I like the stockpiling of high draft picks.

I can even learn to live with the tanking, if it nets the #1 overall pick.

I'm happy to "suffer" a little longer, as long as the demolition job is completed with a trade of Miller and the termination of Darcy.

I like the idea of starting from scratch.

JATMtheJATM
10-27-2013, 08:57 PM
For how many years have we been hearing "blow up the core"?

I hate Darcy as much as anybody, and I want him gone. But I like the thought process that seems to be at work here, if for no other reason than the fact that it's the exact opposite of the Sabres' modus operandi over the past couple of decades.

I like that the new kids are bigger and seem tougher. I like that they're going through a baptism by fire in the NHL, rather than the middling training that past Sabres have gotten in the AHL.

I like it that Steve Ott is now the sole captain of this team. THAT'S the attitude I want to see out there.

I like the stockpiling of high draft picks.

I can even learn to live with the tanking, if it nets the #1 overall pick.

I'm happy to "suffer" a little longer, as long as the demolition job is completed with a trade of Miller and the termination of Darcy.

I like the idea of starting from scratch.

and dont forget the stock pile the sabres have of potentially highly impact prospects already in place within the organization.

coastal
10-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Ott sucks.

but I agree with the rebuild thought process.

Dr. Lecter
10-27-2013, 09:26 PM
I would be fine with moving Ott.
He is, at best, a 3rd line player. He might get way overpaid here. But he might get another 1st in return as a rental

coastal
10-27-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm ok with keeping Ott but agree he really is nothing more than a third line player.

JATMtheJATM
10-27-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm ok with keeping Ott but agree he really is nothing more than a third line player.

if im the sabres, i dangle him and moulson out and see if i can get a late first round pick out of them. or package them with miller maybe. long shot on the package deal...

WagonCircler
10-27-2013, 10:32 PM
I like Ott for the same reason I loved Mike Grier. Hitting is contagious, and I want the new generation of Sabres to be as different from the pussies we've had here for the last 15 years as possible.

Besides, it apparently helps the tanking situation if he's not good.

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2013, 04:57 AM
hitting does not win championships.

I am so tired of this idea that we need to be a hitting team. I want the Sabres to be a winning team

Night Train
10-28-2013, 06:45 AM
You dod realize he's blowing up the bad core he created.

rbochan
10-28-2013, 06:54 AM
The Sabres highest paid forward as of now:

Ville Lieno.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/ricard_persson/danson.gif

WagonCircler
10-28-2013, 09:09 AM

You're talking about Darcy. I'm talking about Pegula.

My hope is that Darcy is fired by Christmas and somebody else gets to make al the draft choices that are being stockpiled.

WagonCircler
10-28-2013, 09:11 AM

I am so tired of this idea that we need to be a hitting team. I want the Sabres to be a winning team

Boston is a hitting team. They won a championship.

I want the opposite of the non-hitting ********** that has been the Buffalo Sabres.

OpIv37
10-28-2013, 09:21 AM

I agree- this mess is on him. But I do like that it looks like he finally learned his lesson. From the day Drury and Briere left, the core of Roy, Pominville, Vanek and Stafford was untouchable, no matter how badly the team underperformed. Finally, there are consequences to mediocrity as the only one of that group left is Stafford, and his worthless ass is probably unmovable anyway.

Will it work? I don't know, but at least it's an acknowledgement that they can't keep doing the same things and expecting different results.

trapezeus
10-28-2013, 09:27 AM
one issue the sabres potentially have with regier is that there is buzz amongst next year's draftees that they may not sign their agreement with the sabres if drafted. IT creates a lindros like situation.

The buzz is that new talent and agents do not want to work with darcy because he is seen as a career killing GM. No good coaches, not enough backing talent. And frankly the stink is starting to get on Pegula. He is widely viewed as being in over his head.

So the sabres, if they are hearing everyone else, needs to start getting ready for more difficulties.

PTI
10-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Ott is horrible, trade Steve the pirate from Dodgeball off this team.

rbochan
10-28-2013, 10:07 AM

The guy should've flipped the core 4 years ago for similar talent that needed a change but now we've got to cross our fingers and hope Darcy can find another gem like Artem Kryukov or Barrett Heisten or Jiri Novotny or Drew Stafford or Mark Zagrapan or Dennis Persson or...
Regier has traded 200 points a season for Steve Ott, Matt Moulson, a couple draft picks and a prospect.

I need a drink...

JATMtheJATM
10-28-2013, 11:24 AM
one issue the sabres potentially have with regier is that there is buzz amongst next year's draftees that they may not sign their agreement with the sabres if drafted. IT creates a lindros like situation.

The buzz is that new talent and agents do not want to work with darcy because he is seen as a career killing GM. No good coaches, not enough backing talent. And frankly the stink is starting to get on Pegula. He is widely viewed as being in over his head.

So the sabres, if they are hearing everyone else, needs to start getting ready for more difficulties.

no it doesnt. thats a massive stretch here. players arent going to hold out on the sabres just cause they allegedly dont care for darcy.

SkateZilla
10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
We have a significant amount of 1st/2nd round picks the next 4 years.

swiper
10-28-2013, 12:10 PM

I have to agree with this. Regier got so much credit for bringing Ott here. He was always a player I liked, but truly is a 3rd liner. The problem is the Regier brought him in and tried to make him more than what he is. Regier keeps doing this. Roy. Connolly. Gaustad. Ennis. Hodgson. Stafford.

Regier keeps trying to sell himself as someone who can run a successful organization using cheap knock-offs and yet it is the sole reason he fails so badly.

JATMtheJATM
10-28-2013, 12:19 PM
I have to agree with this. Regier got so much credit for bringing Ott here. He was always a player I liked, but truly is a 3rd liner. The problem is the Regier brought him in and tried to make him more than what he is. Regier keeps doing this. Roy. Connolly. Gaustad. Ennis. Hodgson. Stafford.

Regier keeps trying to sell himself as someone who can run a successful organization using cheap knock-offs and yet it is the sole reason he fails so badly.

the thing about the roy/ott trade was roy was on his downswing. we had plenty of top 6 scorers, but not enough depth scoring with grit. that was ott. gritty, well in his own end, and can score.

it just didnt work out as planned.

WagonCircler
10-28-2013, 12:42 PM
the thing about the roy/ott trade was roy was on his downswing. we had plenty of top 6 scorers, but not enough depth scoring with grit. that was ott. gritty, well in his own end, and can score.

it just didnt work out as planned.

Roy was the epitome of everything that is/was wrong with this organization. Built on small, inconsistent "skill" players who are afraid of their own shadows.

Steve Ott may not be a great or even good hockey player, but to purge that pussy Roy and get a guy in return who's fearless and aggressive was definitely a step in the right direction.

It was also highly uncharacteristic of Darcy, which leads me to believe that he's being forced to make moves and will eventually be gone. And that's great news.

trapezeus
10-28-2013, 12:44 PM
no it doesnt. thats a massive stretch here. players arent going to hold out on the sabres just cause they allegedly dont care for darcy.

this is literally what i heard from a family friend who is a former sabre scout. he is still in the NHL and he said there is a lot of discusison that the sabres are looking at a lindros type situation. and a lot of it has to do with darcy and the perception that pegula doesn't know what to do.

is that fair? not entirely, but if i was 20 something, best in show, and signing a contract, i'd like to be able to be on a team that has a chance. and darcy and having a chance don't really got together.

as for my "source", you don't have to believe it. i'm just saying what i heard.

JATMtheJATM
10-28-2013, 12:46 PM
this is literally what i heard from a family friend who is a former sabre scout. he is still in the NHL and he said there is a lot of discusison that the sabres are looking at a lindros type situation. and a lot of it has to do with darcy and the perception that pegula doesn't know what to do.

is that fair? not entirely, but if i was 20 something, best in show, and signing a contract, i'd like to be able to be on a team that has a chance. and darcy and having a chance don't really got together.

dont take this the wrong way. i just dont see mid first round picks holding out for personnel reasons. if the sabres draft connor mcdavid in 2015, perhaps.

trapezeus
10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
we aren't talking mid first round picks. we are talking about guys who are expected to be in the top of their class.

JATMtheJATM
10-28-2013, 01:01 PM
we aren't talking mid first round picks. we are talking about guys who are expected to be in the top of their class.

fair enough.

but you have to think, if a scout knows this, so does pegula and the rest of the sabres brass.

coastal
10-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Darcy isn't calling the shots anymore IMO.

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2013, 01:26 PM

The rules have changed since Lindros.

A guy is not going to hold out and miss out on 2 years at 1 million per.

trapezeus
10-28-2013, 01:52 PM
he also will figure out a way to force your hand. if there is another team that's doing ok and willing to gamble to get a big name, can't miss, then there isn't much you can do.

all i am saying is that this nonsense that the fans have taken for 17 years eventually has to become a bigger problem. i am not saying, "take this as gospel". i am saying that it doesn't surprise me that years of mismanagament with regier at the helm is having a bigger impact.

i don't doubt that pegula knows what's being said and going on, but his circle that he is trusting isn't getting rave reviews.

Frankly, if you keep regier, rolston has to be the fall guy. he has a team that can't make a pass or receive one. they look like a bad team. they aren't in games fighting around and ending up on the wrong side of things. they look like an AHL team.

so i think you give regier the wade phillips. "you're guy ronnie jones Rolston, sucks. you can him, or we can you both."

i would love to see what NHL team takes regier next. Probably no one.

WagonCircler
10-28-2013, 02:17 PM
When you factor in Vanek's comments today "...they were trading away all the veteran players...I couldn't do that...." it's obvious that the Sabres weren't going to be able to re-sign him.

Viewed in that light, the Sabres got a 29 year old guy with similar (even if a little lower) numbers to Vanek's, plus a #1 and a #2. Plus, they will be able to spin Moulson off into a possible #1 at the deadline.

I think the Sabres win the trade.

Vanek was a very good Sabre, but he was done as a Sabre. They made the best of a bad situation.

SkateZilla
10-28-2013, 02:30 PM
I guess with Vanek gone, Ott becomes full time Capt?

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Yes.

And according to the Buffalo news they offered to make Vanek the highest paid player in the NHL

OpIv37
10-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Yes.

And according to the Buffalo news they offered to make Vanek the highest paid player in the NHL

****ing A, that would have been stupid on an almost inconceivable level. I hope the Islanders lock him up soon so they don't repeat the offer when Vanek hits the streets in the summer.

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2013, 02:35 PM
****ing A, that would have been stupid on an almost inconceivable level. I hope the Islanders lock him up soon so they don't repeat the offer when Vanek hits the streets in the summer.

It would not make a difference. He is not interested

OpIv37
10-28-2013, 02:36 PM
It would not make a difference. He is not interested

Can't say I blame him. I don't know why he'd want to waste the prime of his career on this rebuilding project.

coastal
10-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Yes.

Fools Gold - hockey edition?

OpIv37
10-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Honestly though, in some bizarre reality where the Sabres were permitted to sign any current NHL player provided they made them the highest paid player in the league, Vanek MIGHT make my top 15 choices. He's good, but he's just not a guy you can build a team around.

And I'm not just saying this cuz he's gone- I've always been critical of him and the way the Sabres tried to force him into that "top guy" role.

Rockstar
10-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Ott is horrible, trade Steve the pirate from Dodgeball off this team.

Anyone that has played any level of hockey or any sport for that matter knows you are incorrect. Guys like Ott are what make teams tick. They are the guys who do the dirty work and are talented enough to be productive on the scoreboard all the while adding intangibles that you cannot teach, you either have these intangibles or you don't.

(spare me the "I played division I hockey or whatever" my point is I disagree with you and if you do in fact have an accomplished past in athletics, I probably would have hated playing with you if you don't appreciate a guy like Ott in the locker room)

Mr. Pink
10-28-2013, 03:19 PM
You need to be physical in the playoffs to win.

Guys like Ott have their role and importance.

Rockstar
10-28-2013, 03:20 PM

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Yes I want to win also, yes you need to skate, shoot and pass with skill, but unless you have elite level talent (of which there is not even a dozen players that can be categorized that way) you then need guys who are willing to pay the price. </SPAN>

You have to look at a player like Danny Briere. Briere is a very good player but not elite. He may be talented and small but the guy succeeds because he is/was tenacious. He takes the hits and uses his body to gain the space he needs. </SPAN>

There is no hockey player aside from the small handful of elites that don’t “hit” to score goals. You cannot play hockey in a beer league without leaning into someone to make space, let alone in the NHL where you have to put a shoulder into a back checking center to create separation and then jump on a rebound and bury it. </SPAN>

Pussy’s like Roy who skate around and look for backdoor passes for open nets will score goals because of talent but they will not win you playoff games. I don’t think I need to prove that point, it self-evident. </SPAN>

Hitting is important and it does in fact win games. </SPAN>

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Hitting might be part of it, but it hardly the most important part. Not even close

WagonCircler
10-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Hitting might be part of it, but it hardly the most important part. Not even close

Forechecking is hitting.

Tell Herb Brooks (ghost) that hitting isn't winning.

trapezeus
10-28-2013, 04:54 PM
line 1 needs top end talent and a center that either knows the back of the net well, or is a playmaker AND defensive positive for the team.

line 2 needs mid level talent that can morph during any game. they can bang bodies one game, they can score some goals the next. the one thing you need from them is to be guys who are aspiring to be number 1's in a year or two and willing to throw their weight around.

Line 3 needs to be a physical bunch., they don't need to score, but they need to be able to play a strong defensive zone .

Line 4 is like line 2 in the sense that they are aspiring to stay on the team, be a third liner or 2nd liner in years to come.

I have no idea what the sabres have right now. But we don't have that. we have some guys who might become 1 and 2 line players, but there isn't enough grit and heart there. they need a little inspiration and frankly rolston isn't that guy.

you need a torts on a young team where players are reemed out constantly but rewarded when they perform. a veterna team needs the later year lindy who is fairly mellow and treats you like men provided that hte team knows when their effort isnt' good enough.

Rolston is lost.

DetDannyWilliams
10-28-2013, 05:04 PM
We have a significant amount of 1st/2nd round picks the next 4 years.

1st round: 2 picks (own, NYI- Vanek trade)
2nd round: 3 picks (own, MINN- Pominville trade, LA- Regehr trade)

1st round: 1 pick (own)
2nd round: 3 picks (own, LA- Regehr trade, NYI- Vanek trade) http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=688767&navid=DL|BUF|home

JATMtheJATM
10-28-2013, 05:18 PM
thats going to get us some good prospects.

coastal
10-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Forechecking is hitting.

Tell Herb Brooks (ghost) that hitting isn't winning.
Listen dude.. bringing Herb Brooks into this conversation doesn't make your point about "hitting" any more valid.

Brooks was all about skating, puck movement, decision making, speed. Sure he also taught "hitting", but that was probably about 5%!of what he taught.

WagonCircler
10-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Listen dude.. bringing Herb Brooks into this conversation doesn't make your point about "hitting" any more valid.

Brooks was all about skating, puck movement, decision making, speed. Sure he also taught "hitting", but that was probably about 5%!of what he taught.

**** "dude."

Herb Brooks' game was about being a complete team full of 2-way players. Physical players. Saying players need to score and can get away without hitting and being responsible in their own end, as has been implied here, is absurd.

The puck movement simply allowed the young American team to play the same style as the Euros. The forechecking and conditioning were the difference makers.

Rockstar
10-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Ok, what I'm arguing is that a player such as Ott is valuable because of his physicality. A must have player on a team, and you need more than one guy like this to win big come playoff time.

JATMtheJATM
10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
grigirenko gets an assist from a nifty pass. ive been reading positive things about his play lately. hes beginning to play better.

coastal
10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
**** "dude."

Herb Brooks' game was about being a complete team full of 2-way players. Physical players. Saying players need to score and can get away without hitting and being responsible in their own end, as has been implied here, is absurd.

The puck movement simply allowed the young American team to play the same style as the Euros. The forechecking and conditioning were the difference makers.just because you watched Miracle a dozen times doesn't mean you know squat about Herb Brooks or hockey.

The simple fact is you got caught butt-talking at the alter of a third or fourth line center. Someone called you on it, so you immediately break out the ghost of Herb Brooks to solidify your "rock solid" assertion?

There's weak sauce... then there's apparently you posting about hockey.

lolz.

JATMtheJATM
10-28-2013, 07:51 PM
you need to have a well rounded team to succeed. some players can really only do a few small things like play gritty, defensive hockey. others can play almost the whole game. ott. come playoff time, is worth his weight in gold. a solid two way, gritty player that can provide some offensive pop from time to time.

id love to keep ott for the finished project because he will be a great piece. but if they traded him this year, he could also net the sabres a late first, or mid second. they can not lose him to free agency.

Crisis
10-28-2013, 08:01 PM
moulson needs to keep scoring to keep that trade value up, just not enough to mess up the tank.

The Jokeman
10-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Draft picks are fine but honestly we need players and being our draft record has been sketchy at best of late not sure I like getting picks back. I'm still lamenting on the choice of signing Lieno instead of Fleischmann. Also right now the only nucleus players I like are Hodgson and Myers. After that it could be debatable.

coastal
10-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Why the hell did the Isles trade moulson?

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Last year the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup

They were 30th in the NHL in hitting

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLSAAALL&sort=hits&viewName=realTimeStats

WagonCircler
10-29-2013, 12:41 AM
just because you watched Miracle a dozen times doesn't mean you know squat about Herb Brooks or hockey.

The simple fact is you got caught butt-talking at the alter of a third or fourth line center. Someone called you on it, so you immediately break out the ghost of Herb Brooks to solidify your "rock solid" assertion?

There's weak sauce... then there's apparently you posting about hockey.

lolz.

Actually, Douchebag, I was an adult in 1980. I watched every game and ready every article written about that team when Kurt Russell was still making Disney movies. In fact, there was more hockey in the Karl Malden movie about that team.

The relentless forecheck was what wore the Russians out.

I realize you like ************ hockey, bone smokers usually do, but that's hasn't worked here and it's going away.

BTW, the physical Sabres destroyed the Central Red Army team twice by using the exact same type of physical play. I watched those games in in person at the Aud, while you were playing with dolls and dressing up in your sister's clothes.

Rockstar
10-29-2013, 12:51 AM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLSAAALL&sort=hits&viewName=realTimeStats

Awesome stat. (no sarcasm, seriously) It certainly does help your argument. But if you want to play the stat game with hits (which doesn't really fully address the point of fore checking and back checking ala Herb Brooks style)

I would like to challenge your 2012-2013 Blackhawks with my 2011-2012 KINGS, Stanley Cup Champions who were second in the entire league in hits.:peace:

Now lets get down to the nitty gritty. The regular season doesn't mean jack **** in the NHL as long as you make the playoffs. It a completely different season then. I have to challenge your attempt at a home run point and counter it with the fact that your Blackhawks were THIRD in hits in the playoffs last year.:up: Yes the same team that was 30th in the reg season with a pathetic 840 hits ended up with 661 in the playoffs!! :hump:

Bottom line? A guy like Steve Ott does win you games, the most important ones. The ones that come in the second season.

Dr. Lecter
10-29-2013, 05:00 AM
Awesome stat. (no sarcasm, seriously) It certainly does help your argument. But if you want to play the stat game with hits (which doesn't really fully address the point of fore checking and back checking ala Herb Brooks style)

I would like to challenge your 2012-2013 Blackhawks with my 2011-2012 KINGS, Stanley Cup Champions who were second in the entire league in hits.:peace:

Now lets get down to the nitty gritty. The regular season doesn't mean jack **** in the NHL as long as you make the playoffs. It a completely different season then. I have to challenge your attempt at a home run point and counter it with the fact that your Blackhawks were THIRD in hits in the playoffs last year.:up: Yes the same team that was 30th in the reg season with a pathetic 840 hits ended up with 661 in the playoffs!! :hump:

Bottom line? A guy like Steve Ott does win you games, the most important ones. The ones that come in the second season.

Them being 3rd in hits in the playoffs makes sense. They played more games than most teams.

My point remains the same - yes a guy like Ott can help. But that is it. It is the best and most skilled teams that win it all. Guys like Ott are minor parts to that and are much more easily found than the skill that wins it all.

Does hitting hurt? Not necessarily.

Is it needed? Nope.

coastal
10-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Actually, Douchebag, I was an adult in 1980. I watched every game and ready every article written about that team when Kurt Russell was still making Disney movies. In fact, there was more hockey in the Karl Malden movie about that team.

The relentless forecheck was what wore the Russians out.

I realize you like ************ hockey, bone smokers usually do, but that's hasn't worked here and it's going away.

BTW, the physical Sabres destroyed the Central Red Army team twice by using the exact same type of physical play. I watched those games in in person at the Aud, while you were playing with dolls and dressing up in your sister's clothes.
You're next point is you're old? Man... u r good at this game!

btw... There was a picture in the Buffalo News of Tom Barasso shaking hands with the Russian goalie. I used it in an essay about sportsmanship that I submitted to a contest in The Hockey News.

I won a week long trip to a hockey camp for that article.

See. I'm old too.. and apparently better at this than you.

chernobylwraiths
10-29-2013, 06:37 AM
fair enough.

but you have to think, if a scout knows this, so does pegula and the rest of the sabres brass.

Then why does Darcy still have a job? The brass might be just as clueless as he is.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Then why does Darcy still have a job? The brass might be just as clueless as he is.

i dont know, ask pegula. darcy isnt a bad GM. he just hasnt built a cup winner.

SkateZilla
10-29-2013, 10:58 AM
thats going to get us some good prospects.

Rochester will be stacked in a year or 2, lol.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Rochester will be stacked in a year or 2, lol.

unless we keep rushing prospects along. zadorov should go back to london.

OpIv37
10-29-2013, 11:24 AM
unless we keep rushing prospects along. zadorov should go back to london.
At this point do we really have a choice? We traded so many guys for picks in the last year and a half or so that one or two injuries means calling up the youngsters.

OpIv37
10-29-2013, 11:32 AM

3 deep playoff runs and I believe 8 seasons with no playoffs out of 16.

The Briere and Drury debacles. Terrible results from trade deadlne acquisitions.

Trying to build a team around Roy, Pominville, Stafford and Vanek, then being married to that core.

Completely inability to find players or coaches who can fix a PP that has struggled for a decade (even when we were good from 04-06 the PP was terrible).

Offering to make Vanek the highest paid player in the league.

Ville Leino.

That's your idea of "not a bad GM?" What would he have to do to be considered "bad" in your opinion? Trade the whole team for the Hershey Bears straight up and bring in the Watson computer from Jeopardy as coach?

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 11:35 AM
3 deep playoff runs and I believe 8 seasons with no playoffs out of 16.

The Briere and Drury debacles. Terrible results from trade deadlne acquisitions.

Trying to build a team around Roy, Pominville, Stafford and Vanek, then being married to that core.

Completely inability to find players or coaches who can fix a PP that has struggled for a decade (even when we were good from 04-06 the PP was terrible).

Offering to make Vanek the highest paid player in the league.

Ville Leino.

That's your idea of "not a bad GM?" What would he have to do to be considered "bad" in your opinion? Trade the whole team for the Hershey Bears straight up and bring in the Watson computer from Jeopardy as coach?

4 deep playoff runs.

he (and others) draft pretty well. when he does make a move, he gets a good return. hes not incompetent.

he should go, but lets not pretend hes the worst GM in the league.

Dr. Lecter
10-29-2013, 11:41 AM
The only thing I will give him a pass on from Op's list is Drury and Briere. That was Quinn

Ginger Vitis
10-29-2013, 11:41 AM
dont take this the wrong way. i just dont see mid first round picks holding out for personnel reasons if the sabres draft connor mcdavid in 2015,

Next year I doubt Sam Reinhart Or Willie Nylander or Aaron Eckblad would refuse to play for the Sabres.. Connor Mcdavid in 2015 might though..He has the cache and reputation where he thinks he doesnt necessarily have to play for whoever automatically get the 1st overall pick.. A lot will depend on whether the Sabres have improved there perception around int he NHL in 2015

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Next year I doubt Sam Reinhart Or Willie Nylander or Aaron Eckblad would refuse to play for the Sabres.. Connor Mcdavid in 2015 might though..He has the cache and reputation where he thinks he doesnt necessarily have to play for whoever automatically get the 1st overall pick.. A lot will depend on whether the Sabres have improved there perception around int he NHL in 2015

aaron eckblad on the sabres blue line.... looks nice, doesnt it?

Dr. Lecter
10-29-2013, 11:48 AM

They need forwards

Defense - Risto, Zadarov, Pysyk, Myers (who is better this year), Ehroff and McCabe (I love that kid)

They need talented forwards and scoring badly.

Ginger Vitis
10-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Yes if the Sabres are picking 2nd overall and Sam Reinhart goes No.1.. As of now Sam Reinhart is my No.1 draft prospect and Eckblad is 2nd

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 11:52 AM

oh, and in 05-06, the sabres had the 3rd best powerplay in the league.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes if the Sabres are picking 2nd overall and Sam Reinhart goes No.1.. As of now Sam Reinhart is my No.1 draft prospect and Eckblad is 2nd

ill take either. honestly.

chernobylwraiths
10-29-2013, 11:59 AM

He hasn't built a playoff team either.

jimmifli
10-29-2013, 12:39 PM

As a Flyers fan I read this and shake my head. Be careful what you wish for.

We've got three lines of good tough two way players that hit. And a goon line that hits the **** out of everything on skates (that it can catch before they score). What's it gotten us? One more point than the blown up rebuilding soft pussy sabres.

Ott's a nice player. So is Hartnell or Simmonds or Read. All guys that hit as much or more than Ott. And they've all scored more than him too.

But I'd sure rather see Vanek on Giroux's left than any of those guys.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 12:47 PM
He hasn't built a playoff team either.
i hope you mean currently.

Rockstar
10-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Them being 3rd in hits in the playoffs makes sense. They played more games than most teams.

My point remains the same - yes a guy like Ott can help. But that is it. It is the best and most skilled teams that win it all. Guys like Ott are minor parts to that and are much more easily found than the skill that wins it all.

Does hitting hurt? Not necessarily.

Is it needed? Nope.

I fully expected the “they played more games so they have more hits” response. And it’s fair. My reply is without those hits they wouldn’t have won the Cup. </SPAN>

As for players like Ott being more easily found? I don’t know. His offensive upside and skating ability as well as the ability to play on a top line and not hurt you makes him stand out from a simple grinder. The average grinders are more readily available; Ott is a step above that. </SPAN>

Rockstar
10-29-2013, 02:53 PM
The only thing I will give him a pass on from Op's list is Drury and Briere. That was Quinn

Amen, that was all Quinn. What a smug jackass he is. I bartended for the douche a handful of times.

chernobylwraiths
10-29-2013, 05:34 PM
i hope you mean currently.

Not really. I have always contended that he got lucky coming out of the lockout. They decided to actually call obstruction coming out of the lockout which really benefited a small fast team, but even by those playoffs, the rules started going back the way they were. One of the big reasons we didn't have all those defensemen was because they were battered in the playoffs and got hurt. Why were they battered? Because they were soft, even with Grier and McKee and such, they were soft and took more of a beating than giving one out.

Chicago won the Cup this year mainly with skill, but it doesn't mean they don't have players that weren't selling out their bodies to win. Also, didn't they get Carcillo at the deadline for toughness? Plus, having consecutive years of picking players in the top three really helps. Even Pittsburgh with their great players have/had their guys who hit hard, Orpick. Chicago's first Stanley Cup was won mostly because of Buflygn or however you spell it. You NEED some toughness to win it all in this league.

Oh, just to make sure you are aware, the first two deep runs this team had under Regier was a team that was virtually untouched by him.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Not really. I have always contended that he got lucky coming out of the lockout. They decided to actually call obstruction coming out of the lockout which really benefited a small fast team, but even by those playoffs, the rules started going back the way they were. One of the big reasons we didn't have all those defensemen was because they were battered in the playoffs and got hurt. Why were they battered? Because they were soft, even with Grier and McKee and such, they were soft and took more of a beating than giving one out.

Chicago won the Cup this year mainly with skill, but it doesn't mean they don't have players that weren't selling out their bodies to win. Also, didn't they get Carcillo at the deadline for toughness? Plus, having consecutive years of picking players in the top three really helps. Even Pittsburgh with their great players have/had their guys who hit hard, Orpick. Chicago's first Stanley Cup was won mostly because of Buflygn or however you spell it. You NEED some toughness to win it all in this league.

Oh, just to make sure you are aware, the first two deep runs this team had under Regier was a team that was virtually untouched by him.

so when he does do well, its just luck, and when the sabres stuggle, its all his fault?

thats... not how it works.

gotta give him credit for the good if you are going to blame him for the bad.

they won a division title in 09-10 too.

i get it. 16 years with no cups is not acceptable. i agree he should be replaced. but lets not pretend hes the worst GM ever. hes done some good things for the sabres.

- - - Updated - - -

so when he does do well, its just luck, and when the sabres stuggle, its all his fault?

i get it. 16 years with no cups is not acceptable. i agree he should be replaced. but lets not pretend hes the worst GM ever. hes done some good things for the sabres.

Dr. Lecter
10-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Amen, that was all Quinn. What a smug jackass he is. I bartended for the douche a handful of times.

I went to Bills training camp this year. Before practice I stopped out for lunch and Quinn and Galisano were there.

I really wanted to say something to Quinn. But I was wise and did not

chernobylwraiths
10-29-2013, 08:38 PM

I said the years following the lockout were great, but pure luck because of the obstruction calls being made. So yes, that was luck, considering it really was the only time during his tenure where they did really well.

Oh, he made some good moves, but given 15 years, he was bound to make a couple good moves. Now, that Briere move was great. Of course, he WAS on waivers earlier that season, so he could have been had for nothing. Also, before he went to arbitration in his last year here, he was looking for 5 mil a year for 5 years that would have wrapped him up. When he was awarded the 5 million dollar arbitration award, Darcy said he expected him to get about that. Expected that. Now for a very good or even decent GM, if you know that a guy is pretty damned good and would get 5 mil in arbitration, if you want to wrap him up, don't you think offering that amount for 5 years would be smart? Add to that the fact that they didn't even make an offer to McKee before he went to free agency, that he only offered Dumont an amount after declining the arbitration award for him, the fact that Grier left Buffalo because he "didn't like the direction of the team" because they seemed to let everyone go, and you get a GM that is only looking for certain players. Why do you think Drury didn't come back here and didn't even want an offer? He saw how people he cared about were treated, like his co-captain. Why would he want to come back here?

I blame him for a ton of bad. I blame him for stupid things he says to the media, like, "We have to educate the fans on the economics of hockey" (paraphrasing) for the situation with Michael Peca, and of course, "suffering". Fans love to hear that stuff. I blame him for the debacle in the Dominick Hasek trade. I blame him for the team only making the playoffs 4 times over the last 11 years (and probably 12). They won a division title in the year Ryan Miller had the greatest season of his life and one that rivals some of Hasek's great years. Yeah, sometimes great players can lift a team, especially if that player is a goalie. It can be argued that Tim Thomas won the Cup for Boston.

Nice doing what a lot of people do these days, make it sound like I said he was the worst. I don't deal in blanket statements like that. I don't think he is good and has been given way to long to find that out. He should have been replaced years ago. The longer he stays, the longer the culture stays the same.

chernobylwraiths
10-29-2013, 08:41 PM
I went to Bills training camp this year. Before practice I stopped out for lunch and Quinn and Galisano were there.

I really wanted to say something to Quinn. But I was wise and did not

LOL, wise.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 08:44 PM
I said the years following the lockout were great, but pure luck because of the obstruction calls being made. So yes, that was luck, considering it really was the only time during his tenure where they did really well.

Oh, he made some good moves, but given 15 years, he was bound to make a couple good moves. Now, that Briere move was great. Of course, he WAS on waivers earlier that season, so he could have been had for nothing. Also, before he went to arbitration in his last year here, he was looking for 5 mil a year for 5 years that would have wrapped him up. When he was awarded the 5 million dollar arbitration award, Darcy said he expected him to get about that. Expected that. Now for a very good or even decent GM, if you know that a guy is pretty damned good and would get 5 mil in arbitration, if you want to wrap him up, don't you think offering that amount for 5 years would be smart? Add to that the fact that they didn't even make an offer to McKee before he went to free agency, that he only offered Dumont an amount after declining the arbitration award for him, the fact that Grier left Buffalo because he "didn't like the direction of the team" because they seemed to let everyone go, and you get a GM that is only looking for certain players. Why do you think Drury didn't come back here and didn't even want an offer? He saw how people he cared about were treated, like his co-captain. Why would he want to come back here?

I blame him for a ton of bad. I blame him for stupid things he says to the media, like, "We have to educate the fans on the economics of hockey" (paraphrasing) for the situation with Michael Peca, and of course, "suffering". Fans love to hear that stuff. I blame him for the debacle in the Dominick Hasek trade. I blame him for the team only making the playoffs 4 times over the last 11 years (and probably 12). They won a division title in the year Ryan Miller had the greatest season of his life and one that rivals some of Hasek's great years. Yeah, sometimes great players can lift a team, especially if that player is a goalie. It can be argued that Tim Thomas won the Cup for Boston.

Nice doing what a lot of people do these days, make it sound like I said he was the worst. I don't deal in blanket statements like that. I don't think he is good and has been given way to long to find that out. He should have been replaced years ago. The longer he stays, the longer the culture stays the same.

every time someone says the sabres got lucky after the lockout, i point to the second half of 03-04. the team really played well. the offense clicked. you could see the team was heading in the right direction, and that was before the new rules. one thing ive always wondered is what if the 04-05 season was played? i think you would have seen a playoff appearance. and maybe a deep one.

i maintain my point. if you want to lay blame on darcy for the bad, you have to give credit for the good.

as for the peca holdout, i blame rigas for not opening the pocketbook a little. what would have happened if he was signed prior to the 01 deadline? i say the sabres win the east in 2000-2001. i really do.

chernobylwraiths
10-29-2013, 09:03 PM
every time someone says the sabres got lucky after the lockout, i point to the second half of 03-04. the team really played well. the offense clicked. you could see the team was heading in the right direction, and that was before the new rules. one thing ive always wondered is what if the 04-05 season was played? i think you would have seen a playoff appearance. and maybe a deep one.

i maintain my point. if you want to lay blame on darcy for the bad, you have to give credit for the good.

as for the peca holdout, i blame rigas for not opening the pocketbook a little. what would have happened if he was signed prior to the 01 deadline? i say the sabres win the east in 2000-2001. i really do.

Sabres always seemed to play really well at the end of the season, usually because they were trying to make the playoffs.

Honestly, there were times even in the last couple years where they kept assets to make a run for the playoffs. They could have made moves sooner and or more of them to get more picks and gotten better draft picks. This team has NEVER really been bufor the playoffs and winning a Cup. Seriously, the year before their President's Trophy was their best chance. They showed little life in the playoffs the next year.

I don't have to give him "credit" for anything. He has been on the job for 15 years, of course he has made some good moves, how could he not? But he has made far too many errors IMO.

JATMtheJATM
10-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Sabres always seemed to play really well at the end of the season, usually because they were trying to make the playoffs.

Honestly, there were times even in the last couple years where they kept assets to make a run for the playoffs. They could have made moves sooner and or more of them to get more picks and gotten better draft picks. This team has NEVER really been bufor the playoffs and winning a Cup. Seriously, the year before their President's Trophy was their best chance. They showed little life in the playoffs the next year.

I don't have to give him "credit" for anything. He has been on the job for 15 years, of course he has made some good moves, how could he not? But he has made far too many errors IMO.

you dont have to give him credit for anything, but i think you are wrong not to.

chernobylwraiths
10-29-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm OK with that. :D

Nice to have civil discourse.

JATMtheJATM
10-30-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm OK with that. :D

Nice to have civil discourse.

its nothing personal. and i apologize for painting a blanket statement on you. im hoping like hell darcy is gone soon. while i appreciate his time in buffalo, and some of the lopsided trades he has made in the sabres favor, its time for some new blood.

but think about it: sabres fans wanted so much change.

an owner who cares: check
blow up the core: check (with some exceptions being miller and stafford being here)
fire lindy: check
new GM:

thats next.