PDA

View Full Version : Should NFL Refs Be, "Suspended," For Horrible Calls?

BillsImpossible
10-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Why are NFL referees like TV weather anchors? No matter how wrong they are about the weather, they never lose their jobs or suffer the consequences like most people do if they screw up.

better days
10-28-2013, 08:57 PM
No, they should not be suspended. But at the end of the year, if they make more than 2% of calls wrong, they should be fired.

TacklingDummy
10-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Should NfL GMs be suspended for horrible picks like Dareus and Manuel?

Buffalo Thriller
10-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Lay off the hash.

better days
10-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Should posters on this board be suspended for IDIOTIC posts like that one?

JCBills
10-28-2013, 09:11 PM

@PFF_Pete: Marcell Dareus has 21 run stops this season. No other defensive tackle in the league has more than 14. #Bills

Courtesy of Pro Football Focus.

That was through 7 games.

Homegrown
10-28-2013, 09:12 PM
wow, if NFL officials were suspended for bad calls, there'd be no-one left to ref games by week 10

TacklingDummy
10-28-2013, 09:14 PM
@PFF_Pete: Marcell Dareus has 21 run stops this season. No other defensive tackle in the league has more than 14. #Bills

Courtesy of Pro Football Focus.

That was through 7 games.
Marcell Dareus was 28th in the NFL for DT for tackles behind the LOS, that's awesome.

DynaPaul
10-28-2013, 09:21 PM
They should just fire them but Vegas probably wouldn't go for that.

feldspar
10-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Anybody that feels the need to put Dareus down doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Also, I've always felt that the refs should be fined money for completely incompetent calls. They should be held responsible monetarily.

bosshogg21
10-28-2013, 10:39 PM
I agree 100%. If they started getting fined maybe they wouldn't give it to the home and elite teams every chance they could.

Typ0
10-28-2013, 10:43 PM
never happen. The refs are an extension of the NFL ... they are going to pay them more for keeping calling the games the way the NFL wants them called not fine them.

Parzival
10-28-2013, 11:32 PM
It would be nice if there was some accountability.

Beebe's Kid
10-29-2013, 12:09 AM
No, they should not be suspended. But at the end of the year, if they make more than 2% of calls wrong, they should be fired.
Okay...I want to see you officiate one game, and when you're spinning in circles, we'll hold you to the same standard.

If you have never officiated a game, at any level, you have no standing to make this call.

Beebe's Kid
10-29-2013, 12:11 AM
This thread is asinine. Stop the conspiracy ****...human error is part of the game in the officiating, just as it is on the field. You earn the calls that you get.

better days
10-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Okay...I want to see you officiate one game, and when you're spinning in circles, we'll hold you to the same standard.

If you have never officiated a game, at any level, you have no standing to make this call.

It would be the head of officials that makes the call, not me.

better days
10-29-2013, 07:43 AM
This thread is asinine. Stop the conspiracy ****...human error is part of the game in the officiating, just as it is on the field. You earn the calls that you get.

Just as players are cut & lose their jobs for not doing their job well, officials should lose their jobs if they don't do it well.

jamze132
10-29-2013, 09:48 AM
I think referee should be a full-time position in the NFL. Then they could hold them accountable with fines and suspensions if warranted. Yeah, I understand they already have an accountability system in place, but I think it could use some regeneration.

Ref's today are part-time employees and it's garbage.

stuckincincy
10-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Why are NFL referees like TV weather anchors? No matter how wrong they are about the weather, they never lose their jobs or suffer the consequences like most people do if they screw up.

Put a letter in their personnel file, like in the public sector. That will teach 'em. :madmad:

jdaltroy5
10-29-2013, 10:56 AM
There's no way they would ever fine them for missing calls.

I would like to see them graded though. Give the bigger games to the more highly graded refs.

MikeInRoch
10-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Victor7
10-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Never gonna happen. The league would be out of refs by week 7 or 8. Most refs suck. Carey, McKauley, Morelli, Bakeman, Corrente and Parry are the only good ones IMO.

At the end of the year though ?? That's another story, grade them and fire the ****ty ones. I also think refs should be full time employees by the way.

Of course none of this is going to happen. I mean who's gonna take care of the Pats if the refs start changing ?

TigerJ
10-30-2013, 06:40 PM
I think some sort of competition for referees could be helpful. That could be structured in such a way as to provide punishment for referees that are worse than others, be it suspensions or firings. Of course that presupposes that the NFL become more aggressive and hire and train a surplus of referees so they don't find themselves short staffed for referees on a Sunday afternoon.

chris66
10-30-2013, 07:13 PM
There's no way they would ever fine them for missing calls.

I would like to see them graded though. Give the bigger games to the more highly graded refs.
they already do. its called the playoffs

Mace
10-30-2013, 08:32 PM
I personally think they should be publicly birched and made to wear a dunce hat at the following game so people can keep an eye on them if the league sees fit to correct their judgement or apologize. The league supervising official should be required to stand in a corner on Good Morning America for a day per offense and offenses should be subject to NFL dot Com poll.

Maybe then they'd stop their puckish shenanigans.

BuffaloRedleg
10-30-2013, 10:14 PM
It's amazing how some people feel the need to take over a legit thread with obnoxious non-responses.

They should be evaluated just like everyone else in the world. I imagine they are. I've never heard of any high profile firings, but I don't doubt guys get fired at the end of the year for not performing well just like everyone else.

To be fair it looks like a pretty fricken hard job to me and completely thankless. No way I'd want to do it. You have a bunch of drunk fans watching on a TV with immediate instant replay and 50 different angles *****ing at you and wishing you were dead.

No thanks. I don't give the calls the benefit of the doubt or the NFL for standing by them, but the refs? I feel for them most of the time.

kishoph
10-31-2013, 04:06 AM
If I remember right one of the sticking points in their hold out was the NFL wanted to be able to relieve Officials who were doing a bad job and also bring in more officials to have depth, with some full time officials that could possibly replace them, but the officials want to keep small so they have nobody to replace them during the season.
The officials should be full time and made to pass a conditioning test (and eye test) throughout the year.
The average official makes close to $150,000 annually, that's insane for a part time worker working 1 day a week.

YardRat
10-31-2013, 05:25 AM
Screwed again by a union. What a shocker. Unfortunate that both sides can't get together and agree that there are issues that could at least attempt to be fixed for the good of the game, but that is unlikely to happen because when the rubber meets the road each is ultimately going to protect what they believe is best for their own self-interests. Officiating is the worst part of the game, I don't believe the officials should necessarily be suspended in-season unless their competence is grossly and consistently inadequate, but they should at least be weeding out the piss-poor ones on an annual basis and bringing in new blood.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Does anyone remember when they tried replacing all the refs? It was a disaster. There's always room for improvement but different does automatically equal better.

Meathead
10-31-2013, 07:27 AM
upon further review, it has been determined that the referee blew the call and must immediately go to mid-field for a mandatory 'adjustment' by the 'director of officiating accuracy compliance'

http://www.nospank.net/pb.jpg

trapezeus
10-31-2013, 10:05 AM
fines would be excellent because you do get the sense that the refs sometimes get caught up in the momentum of their calls. if they are nailing the away team and the crowd is hyped up, they keep calling the penalties. and same with the reverse, if they have the hometown booing, they don't mind making another one to make a point.

i'll even use the Jets game where we were the beneficiaries. the crowd was worked up into a frenzy, and the flags came out every play on a drive and just kept nailing the jets.

i also wonder what the coaches are yammering at the refs. they take so much abuse, i wonder if some of the flags are thrown to just be a "FU" to the coaches for complaining about everything.

I also would like to see refs jerseys made to look more like Patriot jerseys, just so everyone knows it isn't completely unbiased officiating out there.

ublinkwescore
11-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Should horrible posters be taken seriously?

Mace
11-02-2013, 06:50 PM
upon further review, it has been determined that the referee blew the call and must immediately go to mid-field for a mandatory 'adjustment' by the 'director of officiating accuracy compliance'

http://www.nospank.net/pb.jpg

Rawr.

- - - Updated - - -

It's amazing how some people feel the need to take over a legit thread with obnoxious non-responses.

You know me though, I can't help it.

pmoon6
11-02-2013, 06:59 PM
One solution is to make the officials position a full time gig. Compensate them fairly, like the league minimum for the player and go from there. Off season, they train, they review all the calls by every ref/ judge and if they aren't doing a good job, they get fired. If they do a good job, promotions and raises.

Does anyone know what the officials make now?

Also, the reason I used to go to games was to see the secondary/ coverages and to see real game speed. Must faster in person than on TV. So to be fair, they do have a hard job.

Mace
11-02-2013, 07:14 PM
One solution is to make the officials position a full time gig. Compensate them fairly, like the league minimum for the player and go from there. Off season, they train, they review all the calls by every ref/ judge and if they aren't doing a good job, they get fired. If they do a good job, promotions and raises.

Does anyone know what the officials make now?

Also, the reason I used to go to games was to see the secondary/ coverages and to see real game speed. Must faster in person than on TV. So to be fair, they do have a hard job.

Around 173k (http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/29/sport/football/nfl-referees-contract/)

NFL rookie base is 405k, Practice Squad base is 6k a week or 96k a season.

BuffaloRedleg
11-03-2013, 12:08 AM
You know me though, I can't help it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha wasn't referring to you!