• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

For KC, Buffalo's stadium has been haunted

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...s-been-haunted

I addressed the issue of trap game regarding the Kansas City Chiefs last week and I haven’t changed my mind. I still believe that if the 3-5 Bills are to beat the 8-0 Chiefs on Sunday in Buffalo, it will be because they earned it and not because the Chiefs are looking ahead to the looming matchups against the Denver Broncos.

But there’s another issue at play here, the Chiefs’ historic lack of success in Buffalo. The Chiefs haven’t won in Buffalo since 1986 and their losing streak covers four regular-season and two playoff losses.

I’ve talked to a few former Chiefs players who never liked playing in Buffalo. They couldn’t put their finger on the reason why, whether it was the annoying winds that consistently swirl around at Ralph Wilson Stadium or whatever.

No matter the reason, they all felt like the place was haunted. The Chiefs certainly have played like the place was haunted. They were blown out in the playoffs in Buffalo following the 1991 season.

They brought quarterback Joe Montana with them for the AFC Championship Game following the 1993 season. Didn’t matter. One of the greatest players in Chiefs history, Derrick Thomas, was benched on running downs during that lopsided loss because the Bills were successfully picking on him.

The Chiefs went back in 1994 with Montana on Halloween eve and lost by five touchdowns. They finished the season in Buffalo in 1996 when a win would have put them in the playoffs. They lost and stayed home for the holidays.

The Chiefs next went to Buffalo in 2005 with their high-scoring offense. They managed just a field goal in another defeat.

The Chiefs tried a different tack in last year’s trip to Buffalo. They took one of their worst teams ever and got crushed, of course.

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: For KC, Buffalo's stadium has been haunted

they are not used to crowd noise.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

Alot of NFL players don't like buffalo. Crappy weather in the winter. Lousy hotels by comparison. Lousy old stadium and facilities

Comment

• Don't Panic
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by sukie View Post
        Alot of NFL players don't like buffalo. Crappy weather in the winter. Lousy hotels by comparison. Lousy old stadium and facilities
        Sounds like a nice advantage for us... finally.

Comment

• MidnightVoice
          Retired (mostly)
          • Mar 2003

I will accept any legal advantage

Maybe they ought to do what University of Iowa did a few years ago, and paint the visitors changing room pink!

But to play
          that’s the thing
          shut up and deal
          ~ Jesse May

Comment

• imbondz
            Democrats are people too
            • Jan 2003

I was at the 1993 AFC Championship Game. It was freeeeezing w/ tons of snow on the ground. At least we've had one teams number over the past 13 years of suck.
            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MidnightVoice View Post
              I will accept any legal advantage

Maybe they ought to do what University of Iowa did a few years ago, and paint the visitors changing room pink!
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

I'm betting all my ZB's that we win with no mystery backer!

Comment

• Fixxxer
                  • Jul 2002

Hey KC, join the party, the Ralph has been haunted for us as well.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                    • Feb 2004

Well main reason the fans.....
                    They don't like that the fans are so close to the field.. That's the main reason
                    GO Gators!!!!!!
                    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
                      Well main reason the fans.....
                      They don't like that the fans are so close to the field.. That's the main reason
                      Yeah, I posted an article before the Fins game about that by a former Fin.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                        Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by MidnightVoice View Post
                        http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...s-been-haunted

I addressed the issue of trap game regarding the Kansas City Chiefs last week and I haven’t changed my mind. I still believe that if the 3-5 Bills are to beat the 8-0 Chiefs on Sunday in Buffalo, it will be because they earned it and not because the Chiefs are looking ahead to the looming matchups against the Denver Broncos.

But there’s another issue at play here, the Chiefs’ historic lack of success in Buffalo. The Chiefs haven’t won in Buffalo since 1986 and their losing streak covers four regular-season and two playoff losses.

I’ve talked to a few former Chiefs players who never liked playing in Buffalo. They couldn’t put their finger on the reason why, whether it was the annoying winds that consistently swirl around at Ralph Wilson Stadium or whatever.

No matter the reason, they all felt like the place was haunted. The Chiefs certainly have played like the place was haunted. They were blown out in the playoffs in Buffalo following the 1991 season.

They brought quarterback Joe Montana with them for the AFC Championship Game following the 1993 season. Didn’t matter. One of the greatest players in Chiefs history, Derrick Thomas, was benched on running downs during that lopsided loss because the Bills were successfully picking on him.

The Chiefs went back in 1994 with Montana on Halloween eve and lost by five touchdowns. They finished the season in Buffalo in 1996 when a win would have put them in the playoffs. They lost and stayed home for the holidays.

The Chiefs next went to Buffalo in 2005 with their high-scoring offense. They managed just a field goal in another defeat.

The Chiefs tried a different tack in last year’s trip to Buffalo. They took one of their worst teams ever and got crushed, of course.

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but every time there has been a game played with one these pointless facts the Bills have lost.

Cincy hadn't won in Buffalo since _______. Bills are undefeated in the Superdome. Cheifs hadn't won in Buffalo since_____.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

FWIW, CBS pundit Prisco picks BUF over KC:

"This is the upset special of the week. The Chiefs have done some good things on their way to an 8-0 record on defense. But the offense is so limited. I think the Buffalo defense will create big problems for the Kansas City offense. The Bills won't score a lot, but they will get enough to find a way to pull this one out."

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                              I was at the 1993 AFC Championship Game. It was freeeeezing w/ tons of snow on the ground. At least we've had one teams number over the past 13 years of suck.
                              I was there as well, lots of time spent warming up in the van. Bruce Smith sitting on Montana there at the end made me that much warmer inside. KC must lose this Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X