X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • May 2024

Further Details of the Vanek Deal -- Darcy NOT That Brilliant

As reported on Tuesday by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Vanek's former team the Sabres will retain approximately $1.4 million - or roughly 20 per cent - of what's left of the $6.4 million he is still owed in the final year of his contract.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun added Tuesday that if the 2014 first-round draft pick acquired by Buffalo in the deal ends up being a Top 10 selection in June, the Islanders would have the option to defer the pick to the 2015 draft.

Another wrinkle in trade news from the weekend came up on Tuesday as TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported that Vanek was offered to the Toronto Maple Leafs three-to-four days ago, but there was no deal to be made.

According to Dreger, the return that general manager Darcy Regier received from the Islanders for Vanek was something that the Maple Leafs - or other clubs - weren't willing to pay.

• JATMtheJATM
    • Aug 2012

Re: Further Details of the Vanek Deal -- Darcy NOT That Brilliant

if anything, that could spin it more in buffalos favor if new york misses the post season next year too, and it gives the sabres 2 shots at the lottery for mcdavid.

as for the cap, who cares? its not like the sabres are going to need that cap space for players to propel them into the post season this year, so its a non factor.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
      As reported on Tuesday by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Vanek's former team the Sabres will retain approximately $1.4 million - or roughly 20 per cent - of what's left of the $6.4 million he is still owed in the final year of his contract.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun added Tuesday that if the 2014 first-round draft pick acquired by Buffalo in the deal ends up being a Top 10 selection in June, the Islanders would have the option to defer the pick to the 2015 draft.

Another wrinkle in trade news from the weekend came up on Tuesday as TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported that Vanek was offered to the Toronto Maple Leafs three-to-four days ago, but there was no deal to be made.

According to Dreger, the return that general manager Darcy Regier received from the Islanders for Vanek was something that the Maple Leafs - or other clubs - weren't willing to pay.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=435356
      Just curious what is your point???
      I'm still trying to figure it out?
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

I wouldn't call him brilliant by any stretch LOL. Vanek was never the player they thought he could be...but he was a great Sabre an completely mismanaged. He was useless here this year and just a bad influence on the youth. Darcy would have been brilliant to tank the team in 07 and let Vanek go to Edmonton. He was caught with his pants down and grasping for a life jacket. We have gotten nothing but heartache from that big contract. And Vanek is bitter because he would been scoring plenty of goals on better teams not asking him to be someone he's not. Who knows if Darcy knew this then though and was just doing what he was told. This team is going no where fast...I don't like their current strategy either I don't think it will work in Buffalo. It's going to be a long drought let's hope the Bills make the playoffs and we better be happy with that.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
          Just curious what is your point???
          I'm still trying to figure it out?
          his team is good, our team is bad. hes just patronizing us.
          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
            I wouldn't call him brilliant by any stretch LOL. Vanek was never the player they thought he could be...but he was a great Sabre an completely mismanaged. He was useless here this year and just a bad influence on the youth. Darcy would have been brilliant to tank the team in 07 and let Vanek go to Edmonton. He was caught with his pants down and grasping for a life jacket. We have gotten nothing but heartache from that big contract. And Vanek is bitter because he would been scoring plenty of goals on better teams not asking him to be someone he's not. Who knows if Darcy knew this then though and was just doing what he was told. This team is going no where fast...I don't like their current strategy either I don't think it will work in Buffalo. It's going to be a long drought let's hope the Bills make the playoffs and we better be happy with that.
            nowhere fast? the sabres have plenty of youth at multiple positions to build around.
            Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

It's been widely known the Sabres planned on swallowing part of his salary to help make a trade, for weeks.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

The salary thing is meaningless. Who cares?
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

on the surface this looks like a botched deal, but if the isle get a top 10 pick and defer until 2015 and then truly suck, then he'll come off looking like a genius. Especially considering that vanek won't be with them after this season

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

I'll be pissed if they defer it because it means that much longer before we benefit from giving up our best player. And who knows who else we will lose in the meantime? It wreaks of a Buffalo Bills-like perpetual rebuilding cycle.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                      The salary thing is meaningless. Who cares?
                      If we have the cap space this season, I'd move Stafford and keep his whole salary on the books just to be rid of him.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        I'll be pissed if they defer it because it means that much longer before we benefit from giving up our best player. And who knows who else we will lose in the meantime? It wreaks of a Buffalo Bills-like perpetual rebuilding cycle.
                        I think it would be hysterical if the Islanders defer and then win the lottery in 2015, so they miss out on the best player in a decade
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                          I think it would be hysterical if the Islanders defer and then win the lottery in 2015, so they miss out on the best player in a decade
                          That would require luck, which is the nemesis of Buffalo sports.

Of course, it will also require Islander stupidity, which is the sports equivalent of a mathematical constant.

So we shall see which force wins out.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
                            nowhere fast? the sabres have plenty of youth at multiple positions to build around.
                            Which all ends up being vomit when they have no leadership and are trying to fill roles they are not capable of. I don't know what to say about it really...Regier has had two good teams here. Once, he had the best goaltender perhaps the world ever saw. Another time he got lucky picking up some free agents with a lot of chemistry. Now he himself says free agents are going to come here...so where are they going?

Comment

• mightysimi
                              Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                              • Mar 2010

I think the interesting part where they say it isn't off the table to trade Moulson again before the end of the season. If Buffalo did that, they would be stocked in this years draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X