PDA

View Full Version : ott on his way out?

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 12:00 PM
http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments/signs-are-pointing-to-ott-leaving-buffalo1

i mean, its to be expected. hes not a centerpiece of any rebuild, he has some value, and hes a UFA at seasons end.

i would try to package him with moulson to get a better return, but he would get some good value in return by himself. sad to see him go, but thats the reality of this team right now.

coastal
10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
3rd line center... C ya.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 12:20 PM
while hes not really a dime a dozen player, he can be replaced.

but you could offer him a 2 year deal, and hope he helps the kids with his leadership.

coastal
10-31-2013, 12:29 PM
while hes not really a dime a dozen player, he can be replaced.

but you could offer him a 2 year deal, and hope he helps the kids with his leadership.
As you've pointed out... there's a lot in the bullpen that is getting ready to assume that 3rd line center role.

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
As you've pointed out... there's a lot in the bullpen that is getting ready to assume that 3rd line center role.

much of it isnt ready yet, alot of it is freshly drafted kids. but you could but girgenson there and let him run with it.

by the way, the aves just traded downie to philly for talbot.

OpIv37
10-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Be careful what you wish for: this will result in Stafford wearing the C

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Be careful what you wish for: this will result in Stafford wearing the C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7a_Zl74uk

trapezeus
11-01-2013, 07:55 AM
i'd love stafford with the C....once the C is put on, the player is gone in 3 months tops.

Rockstar
11-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Can I just say as a guy who lives and breathes hockey I'm disgusted by what has happened to the captaincy here in Buffalo? I am an old school kind of guy and I believe the captain in hockey is the most important and honorable title in sports. What has happened to that position in Buffalo is disgusting.

YankeeInRaleigh
11-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Can I just say as a guy who lives and breathes hockey I'm disgusted by what has happened to the captaincy here in Buffalo? I am an old school kind of guy and I believe the captain in hockey is the most important and honorable title in sports. What has happened to that position in Buffalo is disgusting.

Well who SHOULD have the C? It's not like we actually HAVE any captains on this team!

trapezeus
11-01-2013, 12:29 PM
frankly a team like this shouldn't have a captain. someone should earn it during a crap season by a. outperforming their peers, b. demanding more and getting it from players, and c. showing that they are really the heart and soul of the team the sabres are trying to build.

he then gets the contract to match in a few years, he is a local favorite, one that is known as a consistent player.

just giving c's out because someone needs one isn't going to help the cause.

Rockstar
11-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Well who SHOULD have the C? It's not like we actually HAVE any captains on this team!

I'm not saying I have the answer, I just hate what has happened. I miss the Mike Ramsey's the Mike Peca's the Mike Foligino's, the Danny Gare's the Chris Drury's, etc....

DetDannyWilliams
11-01-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm not saying I have the answer, I just hate what has happened. I miss the Mike Ramsey's the Mike Peca's the Mike Foligino's, the Danny Gare's the Chris Drury's, etc.... How can you leave Pat LALALALAFONTAINE off that list? HE WAS THE BUFFALO SABRES!

Rockstar
11-01-2013, 05:49 PM
How can you leave Pat LALALALAFONTAINE off that list? HE WAS THE BUFFALO SABRES!

Amen, consider it a test and you passed! haha

OpIv37
11-01-2013, 07:00 PM
frankly a team like this shouldn't have a captain. someone should earn it during a crap season by a. outperforming their peers, b. demanding more and getting it from players, and c. showing that they are really the heart and soul of the team the sabres are trying to build.

he then gets the contract to match in a few years, he is a local favorite, one that is known as a consistent player.

just giving c's out because someone needs one isn't going to help the cause.
I don't disagree, but what's happened with the C in Buffalo has been ****ing clown shoes.

Briere and Drury alternated home and away, like Ott and Vanek did earlier this year.

Then we traded for Rivet, who instantly became captain, which shows an epic lack of leadership. And I'm pretty sure he was still C when we made him a healthy scratch for like 20 straight games before trading him. And I know Gaustad was wearing the C when we traded him.

Then there was a period of time- can't remember when exactly- when we had two A's and no C. Then we traded Vanek while he was C, and just a few days later we are talking about trading or not re-signing Ott.

I mean, this is like the Bills punter situation. There is just no way to spin it to make it seem even remotely competent. What it comes down to is that Darcy has failed to find true leadership since Drury walked, and that was what? 7 years ago now?

Come to think of it, maybe the two A's is the way to handle the situation now, with all the youth. But there is no reason to pull that nonsense on a team of mostly established players.

And Stafford sucks. It has nothing to do with this post- it just can't be said enough.

OpIv37
11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
How can you leave Pat LALALALAFONTAINE off that list? HE WAS THE BUFFALO SABRES!
Holy ****, a cogent post from LosmanWins! Mark the day- it may never happen again.

Meathead
11-01-2013, 09:33 PM
well even a full burn it to the ground rebuild needs some veteran lockerroom presence to keep the kids heads in the right place. you cant just put a bunch of teenagers on the ice and let them go bc they will screw up their development by not building the habits you need to be an nhl pro

so who is it gonna be on this team? ott never seemed to me to be an ideal captain bc he is an agitator and while that role is valuable i dont think thats a good model for most nhl players to follow. ehrhoff is now the A and i suppose he might make a good C. rolston has mentioned stafford a bunch of times as a leader but i would have to trust him on that cuz i sure as hell dont see it

so who else is there? tallinder, no too reserved. mccormick, nah too brutish. john scott, hahahahaa i dont think so. leino, even less likely than scott. maybe moulson if he and the team decide to extend his stay, but he seems like one of the highest on-ice value guys they have and without a deal already in place it sure feels like hes going to be a deadline deal

gonna be ugly for a while during the rebuild. looks like the captaincy is going to be a formality the next couple seasons until the team grows into itself and somebody steps into that role long term

DetDannyWilliams
11-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Holy ****, a cogent post from LosmanWins! Mark the day- it may never happen again.
Patty LALA wasn't only my favorite Sabres player he was my HERO! whenever my friends and I used to play street hockey I always used to pretend that I was him. I used to think that he WAS Superman (hey I was 8) and nothing could stop him. The way he did stuff for the city especially for Children's Hospital and his charity The Lions Den. Who knows if he didn't hurt his knee that Sabres team could have beat Montreal and beat the Islanders and went on and played the for the Stanley Cup against Gretzky's Kings. I was also at the game when he was elbowed by Leroux I was sitting five rows up in the 100 level and I remember I just lost it I went to the bathroom and puked my brains out! I couldn't believe that my hero the guy I thought was Superman was injured and that was the last time I saw Patty LALA play in the NHL.