PDA

View Full Version : Sabres waive Kaleta

chernobylwraiths
11-02-2013, 11:19 AM
per text from WGR 550

JATMtheJATM
11-02-2013, 11:22 AM
just got the ESPN notice. didnt see that coming.

chernobylwraiths
11-02-2013, 11:24 AM
probably good considering he couldn't play without taking penalties and without drawing suspensions. Even if his last two suspensions were kind of BS, one because the player was barely touched and fell awkwardly towards the boards (missed only a shift I believe) and the second because they perceived he tried to hit him in the head (barely grazed the guy). I believe he has been much better in recent years, but considering his past, they can't afford to keep a guy on their roster who will continuously get in trouble.

I would find it funny though if a higher profile team puts in a claim for him and he goes on to play suspension free. Say, the Bruins.

chernobylwraiths
11-02-2013, 11:25 AM
just got the ESPN notice. didnt see that coming.

wonder if a similar thing will happen with Scott?

JATMtheJATM
11-02-2013, 12:03 PM
wonder if a similar thing will happen with Scott?

one can hope...

OpIv37
11-02-2013, 02:06 PM
If anything, this makes it less likely that Scott gets cut. We are literally out of bodies.

Rockstar
11-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I have to think (without being a numbers guy and not attempting to do research on the reality of my statement) this is nothing more than a maneuver to allow the Sabres wiggle room in money, and might have something to do with future moves that are planned.

I say this because I like Patty and really want him on our fourth line. He skates well and is the prototypical fourth line checker. He is even used in penalty killing. I hope we keep the Buffalo boy.

OpIv37
11-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I doubt it's a cap move. Kaleta's cap hit is too low for it t make a significant difference.

Plus, this team is trying to get younger and rebuild. I highly doubt they'll be going after anyone with a big enough cap hit that it requires cap moves. It just doesn't fit what they are doing right now.

OpIv37
11-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Let's face it. We like Kaleta because a) he's a local product and b) he's one of the few guys who consistently throws his weight around on a team that generally consists of a bunch if panty-waists.

But he's really an average player at best. He's a fourth liner on most teams and there are a few that he wouldn't make at all. His hockey talent can easily be replaced.

Kaleta's one big advantage was drawing penalties, but that is negated by the reputation penalties and suspensions. He's basically useless at this point.

JATMtheJATM
11-02-2013, 02:48 PM
just because kaleta was waived doesnt mean he is gone. if no one claims him, he could stay. or go to the amerks, i think.

OpIv37
11-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Also out hapless PP makes the penalties Kaleta draws useless.

And calling it "hapless" is being way too kind.

OpIv37
11-02-2013, 02:53 PM
just because kaleta was waived doesnt mean he is gone. if no one claims him, he could stay. or go to the amerks, i think.

Yeah I just read an article about it and Darcy's quote makes it sound like he'll go to Roch if no one claims him.

I'll be shocked if anyone picks him up, and I don't think he'll be in a Sabres uni anytime soon, unless we get a Bills-like swarth of injuries.