X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Bad Call on the 1: Run it 3 times

Several have brought up the point in other threads but I think this is important. Marrone should have played situational football at that point and worst case take the 3 points if Jackson doesn't get in with 3 carries.

Rookie QB with accuracy issues and is very inconsistent in decision making. You are in very tight on the 1 against a ball hawking defense. JUST RUN IT. If you don't get in you go up 13-3 and let your defense continue playing well. That call was bad and flipped the game on its head.

Whether or not Stevie was open or not is irrelevant, WRs are open all the time, you have to have a QB that can stay calm and make the play. Can Tuel make that throw? Yes, does he have the poise and accuracy to sit in the pocket and see everything clearly while he has 11 defenders within 10 yards of him, No.
  • starrymessenger
    • Oct 2009

Re: Bad Call on the 1: Run it 3 times

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
    Several have brought up the point in other threads but I think this is important. Marrone should have played situational football at that point and worst case take the 3 points if Jackson doesn't get in with 3 carries.

Rookie QB with accuracy issues and is very inconsistent in decision making. You are in very tight on the 1 against a ball hawking defense. JUST RUN IT. If you don't get in you go up 13-3 and let your defense continue playing well. That call was bad and flipped the game on its head.

Whether or not Stevie was open or not is irrelevant, WRs are open all the time, you have to have a QB that can stay calm and make the play. Can Tuel make that throw? Yes, does he have the poise and accuracy to sit in the pocket and see everything clearly while he has 11 defenders within 10 yards of him, No.
    True. Every word.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
      • Sep 2008

Nope. Stevie was wide open. Tuel makes the throw and it's a TD.

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

If you can't trust your QB to throw on the opponent's goal line then he shouldn't be starting.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• starrymessenger
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by TrEd FTW View Post
          Point is calling that play is a bad risk. Asking too much of Tuel. Too many things can go wrong - and did. Take the three points if you fail to score after a more conservative play call.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I can't argue with the 3run philosophy because I've always been a slam-it-home and show some force proponent at that end of the field. Not necessarily the call I would have made, but it was a good call poorly read and executed by one guy.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
              • Apr 2004

This is pure speculation and the truth is that the play should have been an easy one for Tuel. Just running again and taking a field goal is playing to not lose and no way do I want to see that uninspired brand of Jauron football ever again. If the coaches didn't think Tuel was capable of making that throw, they would not have called it. To that point, save a couple of overthrows to Chandler and underthrows on a couple of deeper balls, Tuel was okay. No. I like that Hackett and Marrone continued to be aggressive. They are setting the tone for the game being played and for the future of the team.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by TrEd FTW View Post
                The way Tuel was overthrowing WRs and WRs dropping passes we dont know if Stevie makes that play even though he was wide open. Run the ball and if you dont get in you get 3 points and up by two scores. Shouldve been a no brainer.
                To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

People fail to see that the reason Stevie Johnson was so wide open is maybe because Tuel locked on Graham the entire time and Smith read it.

A good QB does that and still sees Stevie wide open however.

Comment

• starrymessenger
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
                    This is pure speculation and the truth is that the play should have been an easy one for Tuel. Just running again and taking a field goal is playing to not lose and no way do I want to see that uninspired brand of Jauron football ever again. If the coaches didn't think Tuel was capable of making that throw, they would not have called it. To that point, save a couple of overthrows to Chandler and underthrows on a couple of deeper balls, Tuel was okay. No. I like that Hackett and Marrone continued to be aggressive. They are setting the tone for the game being played and for the future of the team.
                    I too like Hackett's willingness to take chances. You have to be a risk taker. The trick is to take only good risks, not bad ones. Given who was under centre that was a bad risk.

Comment

• Homegrown
                      Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                      People fail to see that the reason Stevie Johnson was so wide open is maybe because Tuel locked on Graham the entire time and Smith read it.

A good QB does that and still sees Stevie wide open however.
                      can't argue with of that ...hence the reason why Tuel was an undrafted FA ...

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Owen DeBoard View Post
                        The way Tuel was overthrowing WRs and WRs dropping passes we dont know if Stevie makes that play even though he was wide open. Run the ball and if you dont get in you get 3 points and up by two scores. Shouldve been a no brainer.
                        It's a no brainer in retrospect. If Tuel makes the right read, and tosses it to Stevie, this conversation doesn't happen.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
                          It's a no brainer in retrospect. If Tuel makes the right read, and tosses it to Stevie, this conversation doesn't happen.
                          Yes but it didnt happen. Do you think it makes sense for an undrafted rookie to try and make a play when we didnt need him to especially the way the D was playing?
                          To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by starrymessenger View Post
                            I too like Hackett's willingness to take chances. You have to be a risk taker. The trick is to take only good risks, not bad ones. Given who was under centre that was a bad risk.
                            Every risk, by definition has the potential to be good or bad. This is knowledge of the negative outcome and then deciding the risk was 100% bad. You wish they had run it because then it would not have happened. Every football play is a risk. If you want this team to play safe, then go back and watch Dick Jauron coach.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              • Apr 2004

The lack of a linear sense of time, risk and potential outcome in here is staggering.

Comment

Working...
                              X