PDA

View Full Version : Polian Talking about EJ's return

ghz in pittsburgh
11-05-2013, 06:51 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9925598/ej-manuel-buffalo-bills-rookie-quarterback-cleared-return

Interesting that he talked about drills to avoid hard hits at the end of a slide or going out of bounds. Didn't realized Thurman had that training while at the Bills, though I thought those skills are more of a natural to players, not learned skills.

better days
11-05-2013, 07:02 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9925598/ej-manuel-buffalo-bills-rookie-quarterback-cleared-return

Interesting that he talked about drills to avoid hard hits at the end of a slide or going out of bounds. Didn't realized Thurman had that training while at the Bills, though I thought those skills are more of a natural to players, not learned skills.

Sliding is a learned skill. Hell, there are baseball players that don't know how to slide properly.

IMO, when a QB voluntarily goes down, feet first or headfirst, he should be protected just as a defenseless WR is protected.

The King
11-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Also training on this stuff will help it to become instinctual. Which with EJ it clearly is not.

phil3782
11-05-2013, 09:07 AM
It seemed that Hackett and Marrone had issues teaching this to Nassib at SU also. It took Nassib to his third year (Senior) to learn what to do outside the pocket like getting out of bounds, when to throw away the ball and how to slide. Hopefully, EJ learns this quicker.

jimmifli
11-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Thurman got some flak from fans back in the day for running out of bounds and not finishing runs.

better days
11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Thurman got some flak from fans back in the day for running out of bounds and not finishing runs.

Thurm's career probably lasted as long as it did because he was SMART enough to not take unnecessary hits.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Thurm's career probably lasted as long as it did because he was SMART enough to not take unnecessary hits.

yea, he wasn't exactly jerome bettis. if memory serves me correctly, he was 5'10" and was around 185-190 pounds

jimmifli
11-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Of course. Getting hit is stupid, especially if you don't need to. Once you've got the first down, that extra yard or two just isn't worth it. Step out or get down.

I was glad to see CJ make for the sideline on his runs. That lil' feller doesn't need to take anymore punishment.

Rockstar
11-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I remember Thermal (yes Chris Berman Thermal) playing at 210lbs. Anyway, Thomas did run out of bounds but never when we needed a yard. He was the master of turning nothing into something. Squirmin Thurman earned that nic-name because he would get hit at the line of scrimmage and still get three yards. He had quads like a lineman and used them when we needed it as a team.

better days
11-05-2013, 01:51 PM
I remember Thermal (yes Chris Berman Thermal) playing at 210lbs. Anyway, Thomas did run out of bounds but never when we needed a yard. He was the master of turning nothing into something. Squirmin Thurman earned that nic-name because he would get hit at the line of scrimmage and still get three yards. He had quads like a lineman and used them when we needed it as a team.

I was the Bills GM in a mock draft on WDAE Tampa the year Thurm was drafted.

I picked Thurm for the Bills & was ELATED when the Bills drafted him for real.

OLDSRIP
11-05-2013, 01:55 PM
There is not much you can criticize about Thurman's game.
He was a great all around back.
One of my favorites from back then, for sure.

stuckincincy
11-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Manuel was making a play. Too bad he got his knee bummed up. What's not to like about a player making the play, going for the yards?

better days
11-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Manuel was making a play. Too bad he got his knee bummed up. What's not to like about a player making the play, going for the yards?

What's not to like? How about the QB getting INJURED picking up a few unnecessary yds.

QB is the most vital & hard to replace position in the NFL.

stuckincincy
11-05-2013, 02:28 PM
What's not to like? How about the QB getting INJURED picking up a few unnecessary yds.

QB is the most vital & hard to replace position in the NFL.

He was heading to the sidelines with gaining decent yards and got an unfortunate pop. So what? - things happen. What do want? Toss the ball into the sidelines if there is a sniff of getting whacked in the pocket? Roll out and if there is a defender, a few yards away, forget making a nifty juke and just rifle the ball into the ground?

He's a rookie. He has happy feet. Do you want to turn him into a nervous nilly, cowering in fear of injury?

Rockstar
11-05-2013, 02:30 PM
There is not much you can criticize about Thurman's game.
He was a great all around back.
One of my favorites from back then, for sure.

Quite simply he is one the best all purpose backs of all time.

Meathead
11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
THEE

better days
11-05-2013, 03:35 PM
He was heading to the sidelines with gaining decent yards and got an unfortunate pop. So what? - things happen. What do want? Toss the ball into the sidelines if there is a sniff of getting whacked in the pocket? Roll out and if there is a defender, a few yards away, forget making a nifty juke and just rifle the ball into the ground?

He's a rookie. He has happy feet. Do you want to turn him into a nervous nilly, cowering in fear of injury?

No I don't want to turn EJ into a scared rabbit. I just want him to be SMART.

It is STUPID to risk injury for a few unnecessary yds, especially when you should know the other team is headhunting because your defense just took out their QB.

K-Gun
11-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Remember who he used to run backwards through the hole. I don't know how the hell he did that so effectivly wihtout getting knock out.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Of course. Getting hit is stupid, especially if you don't need to. Once you've got the first down, that extra yard or two just isn't worth it. Step out or get down.

I was glad to see CJ make for the sideline on his runs. That lil' feller doesn't need to take anymore punishment.

and the refs should have flagged the chiefs twice for cheapshots at his ankles and lower legs clearly meant to aggravate his injuries.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I actually don't really want EJ to come back until he is fully 100%. I don't want Jeff Tuel to ever play again, but I'd have no problem with Lewis playing for the rest of the season and then letting Lewis and EJ go at it next year in camp, winner takes the starting job and the loser holds the clip board.

coastal
11-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Them was amazing at not getting hit.