PDA

View Full Version : Bills Needs

DesertFox24
11-05-2013, 11:33 AM
After watching our game against the Chiefs I have to say a few things about our apparent needs.

I want to start this off by Whaley was trained in the steeler drafting way and that is find the replacements for old vets or guys leaving a year before they retire leave. I think we saw that with Bryd he drafted two safeties to hedge his bet and is probably going to use this year to train Williams and Meeks and let best man start next to Williams next year. With Searcy being third safety to come in like he does now.

That being said look for us to draft some DL this year. We definitely need a future Kyle Williams replacement and depending on Branch, Carrington, Stephen Charles maybe some ends. I really like Carrington and Branch and hope they stay, Charles is actually intriguing and may develop, but a need for a 3 tech that can get up field quick like Kyle will be a must soon.

1. Glenn and Pears are actually good. Glenn could be legit top 5 LT and Pears is above average. Tuel did not get sacked against the chiefs and Hali and Houston are really good so maybe some of the sack issues could have been Lewis holding ball to long.

2. LG - this is still a huge need as well as interior OL depth. The good thing is you do not have to draft guards in round 1 and 2 to find very good starters.

3. CB - I agree depth needs to be improved but Gilmore, Robey, McKelvin, Brooks are actually playing a lot better lately.

4. Safety - Searcy might not be great in coverage but is good enough as a backup. Aaron Williams is really impressive. Depending on Bryd situation could see an early round safety with good coverage skills. Other thing to note is we drafted 2 safeties last year so ala Whaleys time with the steelers he drafted replacements a year or two before the incumbant left.

5. TE - I really like Chandler but we need another TE that can stretch the field vertically Eric Ebron could be our guy.

6. WR - I like Stevie, Goodwin, Woods a lot. However, the other guys could be upgraded. Easley may get a contract extension due to his special teams ability guy is legit cover guy. Hogan Smith and Graham are going to battel for 5 and 6 spots and I would not mind seeing another guy. I am not sure how they feel about Streeter or the other guy they signed but both have really good size and speed so might not be a drafted guy. That being said if Watkins, Lee, Mike Evans are staring them in the face and depending what else is on the board might be hard to resist.

7. RB - Spiller and Jackson will be here, Choice has played well this year but I think they need to get legit competition and eventually find Jacksons replacement. Need a guy with good burst leg drive and good hands. There are a few of those guys every year but need a guy who can get third and one or 2.

QB - Doubt we draft one this year, they like EJ and Tuel so could see a vet coming in to battle Lewis for number 2 spot.

LB - Probably need to get some youth here but can be later round depth players, maybe an early round guy to start next to Kiko, but Manny does that in passing downs so not as high a need.

With all that said and done I expect Buffalo to look TE, DL early. Depending on where they draft and if the top guys are gone we mayb be trade partners again to acquire more picks. Also look for CB, LB, and interior OL depth. WR is a potential depending on how they feel about Smith, Graham, Hogan, Streeter, the other PS squad guy.

FA I would resign Carrington and Branch, let Bryd walk if his demands are 9 mil a year I would probably pay 8 mil but not sure how important he is in this type of defense that is up to Pettine and we will never know the truth.

jimmifli
11-05-2013, 12:10 PM
LB is a huge hole. We have one starting NFL linebacker.

HAMMER
11-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Manny Lawson has been pretty darn good.

DesertFox24
11-05-2013, 12:16 PM

I do not agree with you on this.

Kiko is clearly a stud, but Manny Lawson has done some great things sealing the edge on stretch runs and in coverage. We could use another guy in base packages but jerry Hughes has done a nice jobe this year in passing situations.

In Nickle situations the bills have 3 DL, 3 LB, and 5 DB, or 3, 2, 6 is another look they give

Manny, Kiko, Hughes with Hughes being the rusher while Kiko and Manny drop into coverage in 3-3-5

in the 3-2-6 Kiko with either Hughes or Manny depending on the look.

I agree with needing depth though we need another guy who can step in for Manny if hurt another rush guy. Bradham is decent depth and good special teams guys so we have 4 LBs on the team next year, need 3 but depth players in my opinion.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-05-2013, 12:18 PM
This defense, assuming Pettine stays, is very close to elite with or without Byrd. Gilmore, McKelvin, Robey (Nikel) are 3 solid starting corners. Kiko is a hit. Mario, Kyle, Marcell are playing exceptional well. To me, the improvement of Marcell is very encouraging - they say DT should make big improvement in 3rd year which seemed to hold for him. If they can draft another stud at LB, they have a window of 1 - 2 years (Mario hitting 30 next year and Kyle going to 31) of being elite. The good thing is Whaley is known for scouting defensive players, expecially LB while at the Steelers.

stuckincincy
11-05-2013, 12:22 PM
After watching our game against the Chiefs I have to say a few things about our apparent needs.

Good, thoughtful post.

jimmifli
11-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I do not agree with you on this.

Kiko is clearly a stud, but Manny Lawson has done some great things sealing the edge on stretch runs and in coverage. We could use another guy in base packages but jerry Hughes has done a nice jobe this year in passing situations.

Lawson is a situational player. He's nice to have on the roster, but not as a starter.

There is a reason this team is in the bottom ten defenses in the league, and a big part of that reason is bad linebackers.

Hughes is garbage.

DesertFox24
11-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Manny is a starter Hughes is a situational Pass Rusher and has 4 sacks and countless hurries. Pro football focus is not the end all be all of football analytics but they speak glowing of him and his play with the bills. He is only playing 30-45% of snaps as well.

Manny Lawson is in the 75-90% of snaps when healthy and has added an additional cover LB and run defender good at sealing the edge.

Kiko is Kiko and after the chiefs game I am starting to believe he is going to be an elite MLB in this league so we do not need MLB, Bradham can play his spot if he gets hurt albeit not great but he is decent depth.

What exactly are you looking for? We do not use that many LBs in the defense and the two that play the most one is almost elite and one is a solid to very good starter.

Hughes has more hurries than anyone on the team and it should be 5 sacks the strip fumble of Smith is not showing up yet.

I cannot remember but when they showed starting lineups for the defense who was the third LB was it Hughes or someone else?

stuckincincy
11-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Lawson is a situational player. He's nice to have on the roster, but not as a starter.

Lawson is playing the same as he played for CIN. 1st, 2nd down player. Yanked at CIN - most teams yank lbs and go to a nickel or a dime on 3rd.

He got starts at CIN - like BUF, he was the better option than whatever else they had to round out the starting 11. He's no super star, but the numbers game made him expendable in CIN. With losing Geathers and Lemur before season start, now Hall and Atkins, I suspect they would welcome him back with welcome arms.

jimmifli
11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Manny is a starter Hughes is a situational Pass Rusher and has 4 sacks and countless hurries. Pro football focus is not the end all be all of football analytics but they speak glowing of him and his play with the bills. He is only playing 30-45% of snaps as well.

Manny Lawson is in the 75-90% of snaps when healthy and has added an additional cover LB and run defender good at sealing the edge.

Kiko is Kiko and after the chiefs game I am starting to believe he is going to be an elite MLB in this league so we do not need MLB, Bradham can play his spot if he gets hurt albeit not great but he is decent depth.

What exactly are you looking for? We do not use that many LBs in the defense and the two that play the most one is almost elite and one is a solid to very good starter.

Hughes has more hurries than anyone on the team and it should be 5 sacks the strip fumble of Smith is not showing up yet.

I cannot remember but when they showed starting lineups for the defense who was the third LB was it Hughes or someone else?
Hughes' numbers are padded by our dline. When he blitzes he is either facing a RB or is completely unblocked. Hurries aren't good enough, he has to make impact plays (like his sacks and strip).

I wasn't suggesting Lawson was playing situationally, I was suggesting he should be.

I'd like a linebacker that can rush the passer without that being his only skill, a Von Miller type . That would bump Lawson and Hughes into backup/rotation rolls and give us real depth. The dline is good and so is the secondary.

DraftBoy
11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Give me a RT over Pears any day.

Victor7
11-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Biggest need is finding out if Manuel is the real deal.

We need a LG, RT, another TE and better depth at S, specially if we let Byrd walk which I'm sure we will.

DesertFox24
11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Biggest need is finding out if Manuel is the real deal.

We need a LG, RT, another TE and better depth at S, specially if we let Byrd walk which I'm sure we will.

I think Pears is a decent player but if they are picking at a spot and one of the legit OT prospects is on the board then I hope Bills take him. I am a huge fan of taking the bigs early because finding good ones is so hard.

WR, RB, OG, LBs I think you can get really good ones in round 2 through 4 not necessarily elite ones but good ones.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Our LBs are okay, but yeah I am always in favor of upgrading. We also need work on the OL and we could also stand for some DB depth. However, from watching the game from sunday I can tell you our biggest need is cutting Tuel.

BidsJr
11-05-2013, 03:06 PM
My top 3 draft picks....

1. RB -Fred is on his last leg and we can on CJ's 2 legs. We are #3 in the league in rushing and 0-6 without Fred.
2. OG
3. QB - If we are going to live and die with a QB has been injured twice already, we better have a better back up plan than this year.

These would be top three needs. What order they would be drafted I have no idea.

Ed
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Give me a RT over Pears any day.
Agreed. Picking up Pears off the street was one of the better under the radar moves by Nix, but we shouldn't be content with him as a starter. I still like Chris Hairston as a starter if he's healthy next year, but I wouldn't mind having him as a primary backup and getting a stud to start.

I don't know if O-lineman are at a greater risk of injury than other positions, but it seems like a lot of teams are having OL issues whether it's due to injuries or just a lack of talent. I would like to see OL be the top priority this offseason with new starters at LG and RT, and better depth.

Add another TE too and EJ should have everything he needs.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-05-2013, 05:08 PM
My top 3 draft picks....

1. RB -Fred is on his last leg and we can on CJ's 2 legs. We are #3 in the league in rushing and 0-6 without Fred.
2. OG
3. QB - If we are going to live and die with a QB has been injured twice already, we better have a better back up plan than this year.

These would be top three needs. What order they would be drafted I have no idea.

Halfback is a need but we shouldn't take one before the 4th IMO