PDA

View Full Version : EJ Expected to start this weekend!

Pinkerton Security
11-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Per Bills mobile

Novacane
11-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I assumed that once he was cleared but glad to see it official.

mayotm
11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Per bb.com, a decision has not been made yet.

Thurmal
11-06-2013, 01:20 PM
It's depressing that it's Week 10, and we have no idea whether this guy is any good or not.

Pinkerton Security
11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
It's depressing that it's Week 10, and we have no idea whether this guy is any good or not.

I'd say we know he's decent at worst. But yeah the injury really sucked for his progression.

Meathead
11-06-2013, 01:48 PM
i think we have a pretty good idea about what ej is going to being for the team and we saw it this week: alex smith

ej is going to be the guy that doesnt turn the ball over and gives his team a chance to win. hes not going to amaze anybody with consistent pinpoint accuracy, he wont dazzle you with his nifty running ability, and hes not going to be the firey emotional leader that wills better performance out of those around him

hes just going to be smart, be careful, and make the good plays when they are there. good enough to bring a team to the sb but isnt likely to be the main reason they got there

not bad at all, potentially a very decent to good franchise level guy, but probably no threat to make the hof at the end of his career

Skooby
11-06-2013, 02:09 PM
At 3-6, good news is hard to come by.

PromoTheRobot
11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Seriously, you were expecting an answer in week 10, even without the injury? Whatever happened to letting players develop?

PTR

JCBills
11-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Seriously, you were expecting an answer in week 10, even without the injury? Whatever happened to letting players develop?

PTR

People seem to be unfamiliar with the concept, despite several examples on the team and around the league that show it does in fact happen.

DynaPaul
11-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank God. No more scrubs in at QB please.

BillsFever21
11-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Thank god he will be back to gain some much needed experience for the rest of the season. I'm glad it was only a 4 week injury and not 6 weeks like the high end predictions were. I just hope they're not bringing him back too soon and that he's fully healthy. I'd rather wait another week or two if that was the case. It's not like we're in the thick of the playoff hunt.

paladin warrior
11-06-2013, 05:39 PM
:cheers: :dance2::clap: :bow:GO E.J Manuel :bow: :gobills::gobills:

Jeff1220
11-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Maybe his time watching, seeing things on the field from another perspective, could've actually helped him learn to diagnose defensive looks and learn the offense a little bit more. - Just trying to look at a possible silver lining here.

Thurmal
11-06-2013, 06:51 PM

PTR
You'd expect to be leaning one way or the other. You'd have hoped to have seen flashes that would be promising, which he hasn't had due to injury and very conservative play-calling.

JoeMama
11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
I've seen enough of EJ Manuel that I'm willing to grasp at positives.

There's upside there.

Rob Johnson had one of the best arms and prettiest deep balls I've ever seen. But he had the pocket awareness of a gnat.

EJ has shown pretty impressive poise, which you can't teach.

Accuracy can be fixed over time. Ditto the deep ball. But the mental part of the game is the great equalizer. Without it, any QB is doomed. EJ has a starting point to work from.

TacklingDummy
11-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Either a QB has it or they don't, in my opinion, EJ doesn't.

JoeMama
11-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Either a QB has it or they don't, in my opinion, EJ doesn't.

What???

You???

It's hard to tell what you think of our QBs. You seem so shy about expressing your opinion of EJ.

Night Train
11-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Either E.J. or Thad is 20 times better than Tuel.

pmoon6
11-07-2013, 08:10 AM

PTRMost Fans don't know what that means. You might as well write in Latin.

Pinkerton Security
11-07-2013, 10:19 AM
i think we have a pretty good idea about what ej is going to being for the team and we saw it this week: alex smith

ej is going to be the guy that doesnt turn the ball over and gives his team a chance to win. hes not going to amaze anybody with consistent pinpoint accuracy, he wont dazzle you with his nifty running ability, and hes not going to be the firey emotional leader that wills better performance out of those around him

hes just going to be smart, be careful, and make the good plays when they are there. good enough to bring a team to the sb but isnt likely to be the main reason they got there

not bad at all, potentially a very decent to good franchise level guy, but probably no threat to make the hof at the end of his career

This is obviously all conjecture but I see him as more of a Big Ben, hopefully. Can extend plays and make big throws when needed but someone that will slowly develop into more of a passer. Big Ben barely ever broke 200 yards his first couple of years, because they didnt ask him to. They leaned on the running game and defense, and within a few years Ben was a much improved passer, mostly because he wasnt forced into a gunslinger role that didnt suit him.

Obviously that Steelers team is far better than the current Bills team but our D is playing solidly for the most part and our running game, even with banged up RB's, has been a strong point.

better days
11-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Either E.J. or Thad is 20 times better than Tuel.

I'm not hating on Thad, but I think the Chiefs defense is the toughest the Bills have faced & if not for the pick 6 which was a 14 point swing, the Bills would have won that game with Tuel at QB.

JoeMama
11-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm not hating on Thad, but I think the Chiefs defense is the toughest the Bills have faced & if not for the pick 6 which was a 14 point swing, the Bills would have won that game with Tuel at QB.

Yeah but Tuel did start and he did throw a bad pick six that effectively lost the game.

Should have's don't do us much good.

I could say Manuel loses to the Panthers if he doesn't throw an awesome last second TD.

But he did.

You can't use hypotheticals when a guy did start and did do something.

BillsFever21
11-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah but Tuel did start and he did throw a bad pick six that effectively lost the game.

I could say Manuel loses to the Panthers if he doesn't throw an awesome last second TD.

But he did.

You should know by now the only ones that count are the games that we lose. It doesn't work both ways with some fans. They only look at the close losses and not the close wins which almost every team has throughout the year.

The Bills are several close losses away from being 6-3 instead of 3-6. We're literally 3 plays away from being 0-9 too. If we don't get a last second TD against the Panthers then we lose. If Kiko doesn't intercept Flacco towards the end of the game then we probably end up losing. If Mario doesn't strip Tannehill then we definitely lose.

It works both ways with every team. You win some close games and you lose some close games. You win some games you shouldn't have and you lose some games you should've won. It's a one sided mathematical equation we see every year as do most other fan boards.

At the end of the day you're as good as your record. Good teams pull out the close games and win games they should've lost more often then the other way around. We're one Tannehill fumble away from a 5 game losing streak.

Turf
11-07-2013, 11:17 PM
The only passes I want to see EJ miss are the ones he should. Throw aways, coverage etc. If he keeps missing simple slants and long balls, I'm going to be concerned.

JCBills
11-07-2013, 11:36 PM
The only passes I want to see EJ miss are the ones he should. Throw aways, coverage etc. If he keeps missing simple slants and long balls, I'm going to be concerned.

I agree to an extent. The dude is still a rookie and he'll probably have to shake off some rust after sitting for a while. He threw some beautiful deep balls in college, though he hasn't shown much in that area yet as a pro. On the other end of that, he has shown poise, the ability to extend the play, and a strong arm. Most of what he needs work on is coachable, so I'm going to give him a fair amount of time before really being able to grade him as a player. Even then, if this season isn't great for him, plenty of QBs turn it on after they have had time to develop. There have been a lot of rookie QBs that get to the league and shock the world recently, so I think that paired with Buffalo lacking a QB since the 90s has pushed some fans to have a short fuse with EJ. The team is the 3rd youngest in the NFL with a totally new staff. We have already seen an upgrade in talent as well as flashes of potential that we haven't seen in a long time. I hate that word, potential, but it is a necessary evil in discussing this team. If everyone can grow together and the FO does their job in the draft and FA well, I can honestly for the first time in years say Buffalo is knocking on the door of the playoffs.

better days
11-08-2013, 07:43 AM

But he did.

Agreed. My point was Tuel did not play as bad as some people on this board think.

It was Tuel's FIRST NFL START. And while he did not win the game, he made some good decisions & throws like the long TD to Goodwin................the longest Bills pass play this year.

IMO, Tuel has as much upside/potential & ability as Thad.

2slowtogofast
11-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I hope EJ continues to show improvement and stays healthy. Would love to see a nice deep ball this Sunday. If he gets injured again this year we have a serious problem. I want EJ to succeed. A team will go as far as their QB takes them. Hopefully EJ will be the one to take us where we want to go.

JoeMama
11-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Sure, I think Tuel is a guy who keep around and develop.

He's not without his virtues.