PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh Joins ESPN NFL Countdown!!!

Demon
07-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Radio Host Limbaugh Joins ESPN's 'NFL Countdown'

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh will soon be calling some signals for ESPN's weekly football preview "Sunday NFL Countdown."

Starting in September, Limbaugh, 52, will join the show's line-up as the "voice of the fan," delivering an opinion piece near the top of the two-hour telecast each week, the Walt Disney Co.-owned sports network said on Monday.

He also will weigh in three times during each show with a "Rush challenge," offering a counterpoint to commentary from the program's three regular analysts -- former NFL players Steve Young (news), Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson (news).

The show, which debuted in 1985 and currently reaches 1.7 million households, is anchored by Chris Berman.

Limbaugh's first appearance on "Countdown" will be on Thursday, Sept. 4, just before the National Football League season opener that evening between the Washington Redskins and the New York Jets.

"Rush is a great communicator and a fan's fan," ESPN executive vice president Mark Shapiro said. "His acute sense of what's on the minds of his listeners combined with his ability to entertain and serve as a lightning rod for lively discussion makes him the perfect fit for this new role."

ESPN Article (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030714/tv_nm/television_limbaugh_dc_4)

I didn't see this coming...... shound make Sunday Night's a bit more interesting. But i think it's a solid move though.

The_Philster
07-14-2003, 03:25 PM
What the? That's even more ridiculous than the Dennis Miller experiment.

ryven
07-14-2003, 03:27 PM
There a reason not to watch espn

mvb1781
07-14-2003, 03:34 PM
how the hell did he get that gig?
i would understand if it was judging food in the different stadiums and tailgate parties but this is way worse than Miller except we can change the channel on Rush but with Miller u had to hear it and it just was like hittin yourself in the head for 3 hours.

Ð
07-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Glad I don't get ESPN

Jan Reimers
07-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Rush is a knowledgable fan and, as you know, is always right. Seriously, he will be very good.

Ð
07-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Yep, you could say Rush is always right in a manner of speaking :D

ublinkwescore
07-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Who cares? I flip back and forth between ESPN, Fox, and CBS every sunday morning until I hear commentary on the Bills, or see a Bills player in a highlight.

If I get tired of flipping around, I usually stop on the Fox pregame show, or ESPN - CBS's is kinda boring, but they do carry the AFC games so they're usually the ones that get the ratings from me.

Voltron
07-14-2003, 05:24 PM
This is the best thing I have seen on the internet ALL DAY! Wait ALL WEEK!!!

HA HA HA I JUST LOVE IT

ESPN = :10:

Lone Stranger
07-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Give the guy a chance. He's already better than Miller who was about the worse.

superbills
07-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Finally, some intelligence to complement Berman and Jackson. Those other fools just grind on my nerves.

Gunzlingr
07-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Rush used to work for the KC Royals I believe, and is a huge sports fan if memory serves.

Buffatexas
07-15-2003, 04:43 AM
I can't remember where I heard this but Rush used to do color commentary for the Bills back in the War Memorial Stadium days

Earthquake Enyart
07-15-2003, 07:10 AM
All fat pansies aspire to be Rush.

Michael82
07-15-2003, 07:41 AM
:puke:

WORST IDEA EVER! :ontome:

THATHURMANATOR
07-15-2003, 11:27 AM
I will give him a chance before I make my judgement.

Novacane
07-15-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
What the? That's even more ridiculous than the Dennis Miller experiment.

Wrong.........Rush actually knows football.........................miller was just there for his comedy and he was no good at that.

Novacane
07-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I will give him a chance before I make my judgement.

Thats fair.........................I think some are saying he will suck because they don't like his politics. Anyone who listens to Rush on a fairly regular basis knows he knows his football.

Earthquake Enyart
07-15-2003, 12:09 PM
We don't need a political commentator talking about the NFL. I don't care what his politics are, wtf does he know about football?

ublinkwescore
07-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Did you see this EE?

Would that mean that Rush is a Bills fan? If we win the superbowl, and Rush predicts us to go all the way sometime before week 8 or whenever, you guys will ALL change your tones.

Originally posted by Buffatexas
I can't remember where I heard this but Rush used to do color commentary for the Bills back in the War Memorial Stadium days

Novacane
07-15-2003, 12:23 PM
Rush is a steelers fan Ublink.

WG
07-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
We don't need a political commentator talking about the NFL. I don't care what his politics are, wtf does he know about football?

Naturally he can't possibly know as much as you do...

:rolleyes:

TedMock
07-15-2003, 12:49 PM
I don't remember where but I swear that I also heard he was a Steelers fan (as was Miller). As far as him being on ESPN, I've never heard him speak on football so I have no clue how good or bad he'll be. Politically, whether or not you agree with him, he knows his stuff.....he should, it's his job. He's an intelligent guy, maybe he'll do well. BTW, I like ESPN's show the best.

superbills
07-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Rush IS a Steelers fan, but he is also very high on the Bills and especially TD. He's not there to be an expert EE, he's there to put a different slant on the show. He'll probably pose some questions that fans like us would be likely to ask if we could be in the room with the boys who REALLY know their football.

Earthquake Enyart
07-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Why do I need "slant" on my football pregame show? If I want slant, they should give me Melissa Stark, Jillian Barberie, or Suzy Kolber.

Do I want to see GW on "Meet the Press"?

This whole thing is absurd.

Ebenezer
07-16-2003, 06:56 AM

Amen...left or right, it doesn't matter...I want football.

Why do I need "slant" on my football pregame show? If I want slant, they should give me Melissa Stark, Jillian Barberie, or Suzy Kolber.

Do I want to see GW on "Meet the Press"?

This whole thing is absurd.

Amen again.

Ð
07-16-2003, 06:56 AM
Absolutely. What's next, trying to pass off Wile E. Coyote as a football expert ?

Ebenezer
07-16-2003, 06:58 AM
George Will knows about baseball...and I still don't want to see him on telecasts.

Earthquake Enyart
07-16-2003, 06:59 AM
At least Jimmy Kimmel was funny on Fox. And the last two years he got almost all of his "upset Specials" right.

The grandma kicking the field goal was hilarious.