I found the following starters interesting:
FB - Crosby
TE - Campbell - What about Moore?
LDE - Denney ?????????
FS - Reese

http://www.ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=BUF

Jan Reimers
07-14-2003, 04:16 PM
All but Denney seem possible. Crosby and Campbell because of Gash and Moore's ages, Resse because of more experience than PP. But it would take a number of catastrophes and a small miracle for Denney to start.

Jan Reimers
07-14-2003, 04:18 PM
All but Denney seem possible. Crosby and Campbell because of Gash and Moore's ages, Resse because of more experience than PP. But it would take a number of catastrophes and a small miracle for Denney to start. Unless Denney has really gotten much better...

TigerJ
07-14-2003, 09:46 PM
I think Denney is listed because Jones was still rehabbing during minicamp season, (and probably still is) so he's considered an unknown. Denney supposedly has been working hard and added muscle, but I count myself among the skeptical. He'll have to prove it before I'll believe he can start in this league.

WG
07-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Nice summaries JR and Tiger!!

Yeah, I think they stuck Denney in there b/c the national media knows little of Buffalo happenings. Denney on paper is the logical choice b/c he was a 2nd round pick a year ago. What most of those sources fail to realize is that he was about the least effective DE we had last year and as JR and Tiger iterated, he left much to be desired and it's gonna take more than "the FO's word" that he's gonna do anything this season.

Crosby isn't a reach at all. Again, as pointed out, Gash is old and really only contributed on STs for N.E. Those expecting Gash to be the Gash while he was here and prior are livin' in the past. Those days are gone. He'll be a viable backup to Crosby, but Crosby is the exact same size but younger, hungrier, and more effective entering his prime. That job is Crosby's to lose.

Reese, who knows. Probably b/c of all the "lack of enthusiasm" on the part of the FO about PP. But we lost a good S in Carpenter last season b/c TD and GW said he wasn't good enough and then, just like Foreman, went to another team and outperformed all of our players at the same positions and contributed to their Ds being much better than ours! So go figure. If Reese gets the nod over PP it'll be a questionable move.

Campbell, who knows there. Perhaps youth is the key for the FO/GW. I think Moore is by far and away the better receiver based on his skills, but since Campbell's never been called upon to be a receiving TE, I have no idea why GW would see fit to replace Moore w/ Campbell unless Campbell is a much better blocker, faster, and an equally good receiver, which I doubt he'd be all three if any. Moore is a very good and underutilized talent in Buffalo!

JefftheBillsfan
07-14-2003, 10:16 PM
i thought TD went on TV proclaiming Gash the starter? Of course that doesn't mean he'll get the bulk of the action, if thats the cause of debate...

WG
07-14-2003, 11:22 PM
TD's said a lot of things last year that didn't happen.

I have no idea how they can annoint a starter now in a situation such as the one between Crosby and Gash. Gash hasn't played FB like we need in at least two seasons. He did nothing last year as a FB, all of his contributions were on STs. So if TD said he was starting, perhaps he meant on STs. I don't think it would have been wise to preannounce Gash over Crosby at this time.

Do you have a link?

Demon
07-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
I found the following starters interesting:
FB - Crosby
TE - Campbell - What about Moore?
LDE - Denney ?????????
FS - Reese

http://www.ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=BUF

For me it's way too early to tell. I think they put Denney at LDE because Marcus Jones might not be 100% and noone knows how Chris Kelsay will do in training camp. My guess is Jones is #1 with Kelsay beating Denney for #2. Picking Denney as starter on LDE is just the easy way of doing things, since the other 2 guys are huge question marks.

As for Reese, i'v been a Pierson Prioleau fan. I think he will do alright this season. Any FS in the NFL would stuggle if your defensive line or LBers don't put pressure on the QB and thats what happened last year. QB's had all the time in the world and time kills any defensive back. With Schobel, Posey, Adams and hopefully Jones, QB's won't have much time so expect Prioleau to have a very decent year.

Doc
07-15-2003, 02:58 PM
What did Donahoe promise last year? Did he lie about the health of players?

Dozerdog
07-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Nice summaries JR and Tiger!!

:rofl: Like you have ever seen or used one...:jk:

WG
07-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

:rofl: Like you have ever seen or used one...:jk:

:deadhorse:

WG
07-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Doc
What did Donahoe promise last year? Did he lie about the health of players?

Who said anything about lying???

This thing w/ Jones isn't a "lie", it's purely a lack of positive info at this point in time as expressed in exactly that fashion by me. Coupled w/ what I know about simple meniscus repairs, common knowledge easily ascertainable BTW for those lacking it, it simply seems odd to me that some positive news hasn't been released by now.

If you have something, by all means, release it! Provide us a link!

Q for you?

Do you always gobble up what TD and the FO say hook, line, and sinker w/o any sort of healthy skepticism?

TD runs a football team and it's his job to sell tix and manage the team! He will do what is in those interests.

All I know is that last season we were told how marvelous and wonderful contributions Huntley, Jenkins, Johnson, Robinson, Edwards, Rogers, and others would make. Yet, not one of them did anything even worth remembering.

Robinson embarassed us on national TV. Most of the others were worthless. The year prior, or was it last year as well, we were told what a steal Farris was. BUST!

We're told what a marvelous offseason this has been when it all boils down to the play of Spikes, an aging and wearied Adams w/ weight issues, and Posey, a LB who will once again be playing in a system in which he's never had any success. Spikes is a gimme, but after that, there are no more gimmes.

The draft all hinges on McGahee for the most part. If he plays anything less than Terrell Davis did during his heyday, that will be underachieving given what we invested and traded for help this season.

I still say that Jones won't be on the roster come opening day or if he is he'll be a backup. I sure hope I'm wrong and that he logs 18 sacks!

But if I'm right, I sure hope that TD quits picking up "bargain" FAs who are injured! Some healthy players would be nice. It would also be nice if we didn't have to rely on Pucillo as our interior line depth w/ brick feet back there! Guess having some experienced interior linemen is a pipedream, eh!

If Pucillo turns out to be as good as Farris was, we may lose all hope.

Meanwhile, let's just hope that Posey and Adams play up and that Newman and Conaty don't play like Carpenter and Foreman did last season!!

Great moves those were letting a very good S go when we needed one. Or Foreman over Robinson! Fantastic!