PDA

View Full Version : Marrone Getting Off Too Easy

JediMindPowers
11-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Ok, so EJ totally blew today, thats obvious and there are number of threads on that very topic.

But I honestly think Marrone is the worst gameday coach I have ever seen. I can't believe he punted it in the 4th when we were down, I won't even get into the rest of the season and his boneheaded calls.

And what the hell is it with the offense not calling any screen plays for Spiller and Jackson. With those two RBs, the screen should be our go to play. We should be running screens until other teams stop us. Instead, what the hell is Hackett doing? Hackett is a total freakin' loser, Marrone is in over his head and you know what?

Most Bills fans predicted Marrone would be horrible. And surprise, surprise Marrone is a total fail.

Yes EJ deserves a lot of the blame but Marrone, Hackett and OBD deserve waaay more. And when I mean more, I mean waaay waaay more. Don't go easy on the coaching staff. Don't go easy on Russ Brandon either. Brandon is the reason why Marrone was hired....they both sat on some freakin committee together in Syracuse. Total freakin idiocy.

Dont let these guys off the hook. Especially Russ 'I don't know anything about football' Brandon. Russ does not give two ****s about winning football. And what makes me mad is this douche has more power at OBD than the people who actually know what they're doing.

Novacane
11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Ok, so EJ totally blew today, thats obvious and there are number of threads on that very topic.

But I honestly think Marrone is the worst gameday coach I have ever seen. I can't believe he punted it in the 4th when we were down, I won't even get into the rest of the season and his boneheaded calls.

And what the hell is it with the offense not calling any screen plays for Spiller and Jackson. With those two RBs, the screen should be our go to play. We should be running screens until other teams stop us. Instead, what the hell is Hackett doing? Hackett is a total freakin' loser, Marrone is in over his head and you know what?

Most Bills fans predicted Marrone would be horrible. And surprise, surprise Marrone is a total fail.

Yes EJ deserves a lot of the blame but Marrone, Hackett and OBD deserve waaay more. And when I mean more, I mean waaay waaay more. Don't go easy on the coaching staff. Don't go easy on Russ Brandon either. Brandon is the reason why Marrone was hired....they both sat on some freakin committee together in Syracuse. Total freakin idiocy.

Dont let these guys off the hook. Especially Russ 'I don't know anything about football' Brandon. Russ does not give two ****s about winning football. And what makes me mad is this douche has more power at OBD than the people who actually know what they're doing.

LOL. He's not even the worst in Bills history. Not to defend him. I'm neutral on him so far. He's had the team playing hard every game till today. I don't like some of his challenges. Don't like the Hackett hire. Hated that punt today. I agree punting at their 36 down by 14 was like saying WE QUIT! He's a rookie too. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet. Not even close.

Mace
11-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I sank into numb and apathetic today, I'll think about it in a few more weeks. Until then I don't want to.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Could we get off the screen pass thing already? They won't work until we have a downfield passing game - you need to have receivers running deep to pull the DBs away while the pass rushers are more concerned with getting to the QB than accounting for the halfback slipping into the flat.

As it stands, all the defense is doing is sitting in short zones and waiting for EJ to throw the 3 yard crossing route, which is all he ever does when he's confused. So they see the linemen slipping out to set up the screen and then they blow it up.

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I wasted another 1200 bones on these **** sucking losers and I'll do it again next year because I'm mildly ******ed. Marrone and Hackett suck.

justasportsfan
11-10-2013, 07:24 PM
My biggest worry out of Marrones hires was his ST coordinator Danny Crossman. His resume shows that his st unit gets worse the longer he stays and the same is happening here. Our st blows. If Marrone doesn't fix this, its all on his head

kingJofNYC
11-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Could we get off the screen pass thing already? They won't work until we have a downfield passing game - you need to have receivers running deep to pull the DBs away while the pass rushers are more concerned with getting to the QB than accounting for the halfback slipping into the flat.

As it stands, all the defense is doing is sitting in short zones and waiting for EJ to throw the 3 yard crossing route, which is all he ever does when he's confused. So they see the linemen slipping out to set up the screen and then they blow it up.

Screen game was fine with Gailey and no downfield attack. Design is **** with the new staff, some coaches just do a better job at dialing up the screen game, Gailey was good at it, Andy Reid is good at it.

with that said, screen game won't pull this offense out of the gutter, it didn't with Gailey. Just masks your real flaw, your QB. Lets look at the chiefs and the screen game Reid utilizes, all done to hide the fact that Alex Smith can't do **** 15 yards down the field.

SpikedLemonade
11-10-2013, 07:35 PM
I wasted another 1200 bones on these **** sucking losers and I'll do it again next year because I'm mildly ******ed. Marrone and Hackett suck.

Most Honest of the Month.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Screen game was fine with Gailey and no downfield attack. Design is **** with the new staff, some coaches just do a better job at dialing up the screen game, Gailey was good at it, Andy Reid is good at it.

with that said, screen game won't pull this offense out of the gutter, it didn't with Gailey. Just masks your real flaw, your QB. Lets look at the chiefs and the screen game Reid utilizes, all done to hide the fact that Alex Smith can't do **** 15 yards down the field.

Fitz did throw downfield, he was just bad at it. He was also better in the short game, which allowed his short throws to lead to YAC, and the defenses accordingly needed to respect his arm more than they do EJs. When I say downfield passing, it doesn't have to be a bomb on a go route to Goodwin, it just has to make the defense concerned enough about guys getting behind them.

Mace
11-10-2013, 08:25 PM

I always thought so and now you just made it obvious. I mean who in their right mind would even think of doing that ? It's ridiculous. Good for you.

psubills62
11-10-2013, 08:33 PM
The decision to punt was horrible. Just horrible. I still think Marrone has done some good things (more so than the coaches before him), but there's still a lot I disagree with and that's one of them.

Reminds me of earlier in the year against the Patriots (I think it was them), we had a 4th and 1 or 2 on their 40 yard line. He punted. A few plays later, they were back at their own 40 yard line. What was the point? To make them exert a little more effort to simply get to where they would be anyway? Just go for it, it's not like you're winning the game anyway. Show some life.

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I always thought so and now you just made it obvious. I mean who in their right mind would even think of doing that ? It's ridiculous. Good for you.

I keep doing it because I know that the one year that I don't buy season tickets, will be the one year they are good. So basically it's my fault the Bills are pathetic losers every year.

kingJofNYC
11-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Fitz did throw downfield, he was just bad at it. He was also better in the short game, which allowed his short throws to lead to YAC, and the defenses accordingly needed to respect his arm more than they do EJs. When I say downfield passing, it doesn't have to be a bomb on a go route to Goodwin, it just has to make the defense concerned enough about guys getting behind them.

I know what you're getting at but it's the design more than anything else. When a defense loads the box there are two general ways to constrain them from blitzing or attacking up field, hitting him deep or screen them up, we're not doing either effectively right now.

Alex Smith is another QB that doesn't threaten defense, but Reid is so good at designing screens that they're still able to execute.

Whatever, we all know what the real problem is, QB #1

DynaPaul
11-11-2013, 07:16 AM

In the executive board room and One Bills Drive Russ Brandon is his sitting in his posh leather chair with his feet kicked up and laughing at you.

kingJofNYC
11-11-2013, 07:38 AM
^^hahahaha

Marrone seems better than the last few hires, on the surface anyway, but we still have a bad QB situation, one he created, still bad in the redzone, still underutilize our best player, and we are still a poorly disciplined team that takes terrible penalties.

penalties piss me off the most, all he talks about is discipline yet we find ourselves near or at the bottom once again.

Skooby
11-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Most Honest of the Month.

Of the season.

Historian
11-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Jury s still out on everybody except for Brandon.

My question is....why is it that every other team in the league (except for the usual crap like the Lions and Cards) can do a two year turnaround, while the Bills have to hit rock bottom, and take double or triple the time to get back into contention?

Think about it.

SpikedLemonade
11-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Jury s still out on everybody except for Brandon.

My question is....why is it that every other team in the league (except for the usual crap like the Lions and Cards) can do a two year turnaround, while the Bills have to hit rock bottom, and take double or triple the time to get back into contention?

Think about it.

Because the Bills never truly hit rock bottom.

If we ended up 3-13 this year, we would hit rock bottom but we won't.

We will win 3 more meaningless wins this year to end up 6-10 and then draft 12th to 15th.

Those wins will make the homers soooooooo happy as usual.

Victor7
11-11-2013, 10:56 AM
That 4th quarter punt was pathetic beyond belief. And it wasn't the only one in the game. We punted from their side of the field or around mid field plenty yesterday. Marrone coached like a true Jauronesque pussy yesterday.

Kudos to the opening poster who know whats going on. Russ Brandon. Ralph's right hand henchman er I mean man. As long as enough fans buy enough **** and tixs to turn a profit Russy won't give a damn about wins.

When is Marrone going to fire his ST's coach ?? Some hire that was.

Mr. Pink
11-11-2013, 02:20 PM
That punt on 4th and 5 from the Steelers 36 was the ultimate throw in the towel we give up move.

They literally rolled over at that point.

JediMindPowers
12-13-2013, 07:33 PM
That punt on 4th and 5 from the Steelers 36 was the ultimate throw in the towel we give up move.

They literally rolled over at that point.

And they did it AGAIN in the Tampa Bay game.

Marrone is, frankly, terrible.

Thurmal
12-13-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm a fan of Marrone. He has those guys ready to play. They quit in the Pittsburgh and Tampa games after heartbreaking losses to the Chiefs and Falcons, respectively, and Marrone acknowledged it. Hackett is another story. How many times can you run a draw to CJ Spiller on 1st down with no results?

GingerP
12-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Because the Bills never truly hit rock bottom.

If we ended up 3-13 this year, we would hit rock bottom but we won't.

This doesn't pass the smell test. In the last 3 years they ended up with the 3rd, 10th & 8th pick in each round. On top of that, they have been among the teams with the most cap room in the NFL.

I get they missed out on Andrew Luck, which would have made a big difference. Still, if your argument is they haven't sucked enough, I disagree. They have sucked plenty. More than enough.

Given where they have drafted and the cap position they have, they should be a lot better than they are. The issue hasn't been not losing enough, it is the people making the decisions. They aren't winning as many as you would expect given where they have drafted. That tells you where the real issue is, with those building the team.

alohabillsfan
12-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Marrone sucks, that is all...

BuffaloRedleg
12-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Coaches you have to give a few years to. That hasn't changed in the modern NFL. There are outliers who came in and did well immediately, but for the most part it takes a few years to build your vision.

QBs, not so much.

Meathead
12-14-2013, 06:12 PM
yeah im more than willing to give marrone some time to adjust to the nfl. id like to see him get a little less rah rah and be a little tougher though. i would have liked to see him cut chandler straight away after not securing the ball on the very next pass play after stevies fumble. it might not be entirely fair to chandler but its not like hes irreplaceable and it would send a message reverberating through the lockerroom for the next several years

hackett should replaced or at least be on a short leash next season. allowing tuel to throw on 3rd and goal at the one when a chip shot fg puts you up by ten in the middle of the third was the mistake of the season. winning that game could have changed the dynamic for the entire rest of their games, losing the way they did devastated them. and it was unnecessary as hell. running almost every freakin first down. not using the middle of the field when there were literal tumbleweeds blowing across the vast open space. not getting a veteran qb to hold ejs hand in the film room. hackett appears over his head and needs to grow up fast. marrone should just hire chan as OC and let hackett coach the qbs or something

and of course crossman. why did he hire him in the first place? his resume boasts bottom dwelling units season after season. must be a fluke, eh? bring back ronnie jones for crying out loud

pmoon6
12-15-2013, 07:21 AM
:rofl: This must be the Couch Potato NFL Coaches circle jerk. Some of you guys supply endless amusement.

Famous Amos
12-15-2013, 07:47 AM
I keep doing it because I know that the one year that I don't buy season tickets, will be the one year they are good. So basically it's my fault the Bills are pathetic losers every year.

I kind of had the opposite problem. I was a huge Charles Barkley fan back in the day and the only time I ever got to watch him play was on NBC on the weekends when the Rockets played a good team. Welp, the Rockets weren't very good when he was on that team and I thought it was because I had the audacity to watch them on Sundays! So what did my malformed brain persuaded me to do? To not watch them of course! Being fans of sports teams really brings out the ****** in people.

Famous Amos
12-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Stepping back and looking at this thing from a little distance, I feel like Marrone is first and foremost a rookie head coach and it shows. It shows in his candid and frank press conferences (very refreshing until he repeated the woe is me, aw shucks routine). It shows in his throw any challenge at the wall and see what sticks strategy in games. It shows in some of his hires.

I hate that he hired Danny Crossman and Nate Hackett as coaches on his staff. And not to dismiss that example of incompetency, but as a rookie coach, coaching in Buffalo, coming from less than nationally heralded collegiate program, realistically did we expect him to hit on all of his assistants? He nailed the Pettine hire. He's 1/3 for assistant coaches hired. I can kind of see the Hackett hiring as a long term solution. Let the offensive coordinator grow with the quarterback. Not saying it's the right idea, but it appears he was shooting for buying into the potential of Nate Hackett. The Crossman hire is plain dumb. Almost as bad as the Ronnie Jones hire. Almost.

With the challenges, I think the guy just got frustrated early on with the refs ****ing him and his team over and, at least for some of them, he challenged plays just on principal alone. Partially to show solidarity with his players and also to send a message, albeit totally misplaced, to the refs. Success in challenging plays will come with experience. He'll grow to get a feel for the game, and when to know to challenge and when not to.

On the flip side, the guy hoards time outs like a miser with gold. The dude always seems to have at least a few time outs late in the game, which had helped the team in those late game wins way back when. That's encouraging!

He also has some trouble knowing when to go for it on fourth down and when not to. I think if he had a decent offensive coordinator, they would do better with that in regard.

I really don't get Nate Hackett. He comes off as an aggressive coach to the media but in the game, he's the complete opposite. Marrone seems to be more aggresive than Hackett during the game. I would like to see Hackett demoted to QBs coach and bring in a real OC.

JediMindPowers
12-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Marrone sucks guys, and the sooner you realize it, the better.

Skooby
12-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Marrone sucks guys, and the sooner you realize it, the better.

Haven't you seen his illustrious college coaching career ?