PDA

View Full Version : Has a team ever given up on a first round QB after 1 year?

Novacane
11-10-2013, 07:27 PM
I can't think of one. EJ is the starter the remainder of this year and at least into next year. As bad as today was that's just reality. At best they bring in legitimate competition next year.

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Listen to Marrone's press conference. EJ will be the starter next year unless someone tells Marrone otherwise.

Novacane
11-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Listen to Marrone's press conference. EJ will be the starter next year unless someone tells Marrone otherwise.

Someone really asked him about next year already. I bet that pissed him off.

TacklingDummy
11-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Maybin.

Novacane
11-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Maybin.

He's not a QB lol

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2013, 07:32 PM

No. He was talking about how he can't wait until he can come up to the podium and talk about how proud he is of EJ. It felt to me like he absolutely believes EJ is going to be his man to lead the team.

TacklingDummy
11-10-2013, 07:33 PM
He's not a QB lol

He is after you been drinking a few and didn't read the whole question.

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2013, 07:33 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Doug-Marrone-Postgame-Press-Conference/c7c2cd6a-a2e4-485e-b7fa-da4f29c1963c

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2013, 07:37 PM
From watching him at FSU he never played scared. He has looked like he has been playing scared at times this year. Way too indecisive today, you can tell he's over thinking and not sure about his reads. Today was pathetic. I think he needs to go on ebay and buy a new pair of testicles.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/EJ_Manuel_on_His_Tough_First_Game_Back/2f3f2180-4126-43f1-ad4a-53f39c27b5f1

IlluminatusUIUC
11-10-2013, 07:46 PM
They didn't officially give up on him until year two but tebow was obviously done in Denver once McDaniels was fired

TacklingDummy
11-10-2013, 07:53 PM
They didn't officially give up on him until year two but tebow was obviously done in Denver once McDaniels was fired
Tebow here would at least be entertaining.

Watching EJ is worse than watching JP,

DraftBoy
11-10-2013, 08:25 PM
No but Jacksonville is certainly regretting not doing it earlier.

TacklingDummy
11-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Johnny Football will be on the board when the Bills draft, will they have the balls to draft him?

The Jokeman
11-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Johnny Football will be on the board when the Bills draft, will they have the balls to draft him?

and Johnny Football is better than EJ because? Say what you want but that receiving core at WR and TE we have given EJ is less than ideal. As we have one proven WR and than a bunch of question marks. Give the kid some help at WR and TE and we might see a better QB next year. That said EJ does need to improve his game but again he's a rookie and I'm not ready to toss him aside but would favor finding a veteran backup in UFA just incase.

kingJofNYC
11-10-2013, 08:53 PM
No. He was talking about how he can't wait until he can come up to the podium and talk about how proud he is of EJ. It felt to me like he absolutely believes EJ is going to be his man to lead the team.

We're ****ed. Pride and blind loyalty dwarfs their perception of reality, same **** happened with Gailey and Fitz.

Arrogance, pride, call it whatever the **** you want, these guys fail to cut their losses and move on, and it always ends up costing them their jobs

Pinkerton Security
11-10-2013, 09:02 PM
We're ****ed. Pride and blind loyalty dwarfs their perception of reality, same **** happened with Gailey and Fitz.

Arrogance, pride, call it whatever the **** you want, these guys fail to cut their losses and move on, and it always ends up costing them their jobs

Did you say we were F'ed after the Panthers game?

Im not saying EJ is our future, but give me a break. Typical freak out.

feldspar
11-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Has a team ever given up on a first round QB after 1 year? I can't think of one.

Well, there was only two draft classes before this one where there was a rookie wage scale in place. I mean, the last QB to benefit from that madness before the scale was Sam Bradford...I think he was guaranteed something like $50 million dollars.

I'm saying that perhaps teams have less invested in their 1st round quarterbacks than in the past.

I can certainly understand why you would pose such a question after EJ's tragically bad performance today. It was downright pathetic.

kingJofNYC
11-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Did you say we were F'ed after the Panthers game?

Im not saying EJ is our future, but give me a break. Typical freak out.

Go back and watch the first half of that Panthers game, we should have been up multiple scores. We dominated the Panthers in the first half, but couldnt put them away.

And yet we need a PI call and a blown coverage at the goal line in order to win. I'm sure EJ willed Kuechly to interfere, and mentally placed the DB out of position on Steve's game winning catch.

imbondz
11-10-2013, 09:13 PM
one of the issues is we never have a good veteran to lead/teach/mentor the 1st round pick. i'm all for picking a QB in the 1st round until we hit the lotto

kingJofNYC
11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
one of the issues is we never have a good veteran to lead/teach/mentor the 1st round pick. i'm all for picking a QB in the 1st round until we hit the lotto

We've got nothing to ****ing lose. Keep trying until you find one!

Skooby
11-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Starting EJ against the Steelers seemed like throwing Christians to the lions, before & after it happened. We're so screwed for the short term, like beyond belief.

Mr. Pink
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM
This doesn't exactly fit your parameters but the Packers took a guy named Rich Campbell 6th overall in 81. He hung around on the Pack for 4 years but didn't start a game and then was out of football.

Kelly Stouffer was drafted by the Cardinals. Held out. Never played a down of football with them. Became a backup for a few seasons with the Seahawks.

Marinovich somehow lasted 2 seasons.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 12:06 AM
This doesn't exactly fit your parameters but the Packers took a guy named Rich Campbell 6th overall in 81. He hung around on the Pack for 4 years but didn't start a game and then was out of football.

Kelly Stouffer was drafted by the Cardinals. Held out. Never played a down of football with them. Became a backup for a few seasons with the Seahawks.

Marinovich somehow lasted 2 seasons.

Fastest one in recent memory is Brandon Weeden. He's done.

BertSquirtgum
11-11-2013, 12:29 AM

This is his second year

The Natrix
11-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Jimmy Clausen was a 2nd rounder but was projected to go in the first. He's currently a free agent.

Okay, I just got a scary vision of seeing a "Bills Workout Jimmy Clausen" thread after EJ gets hurt again.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 12:43 AM
This is his second year

...yeah?

He was healthy but benched for Hoyer in the Bills game. If we didn't knock him out, Weeden would never have seen the field again.

jills
11-11-2013, 01:16 AM

He better get used to it.

Albany,n.y.
11-11-2013, 08:17 AM
In 1989 the Cowboys drafted Troy Aikman in the 1st round & Steve Walsh in the 1st round of the supplemental draft. They traded Walsh to NO the next year.

The last team to draft a 1st round QB in consecutive years was the Baltimore Colts in 1982 & 1983 after Art Schlichter's rookie year. However, John Elway refused to sign with the Colts & was traded to Denver.

Green Bay took Brian Brohm in the 2nd round & cut him after pre-season of his 2nd year. He cleared waivers & was signed to the practice squad until the Bills signed him later in the season.

billsburgh
11-11-2013, 08:25 AM
I bet he wishes he could play the Bills every week. He looked pretty good against us coming off the bench. then back to sucking after that.

justasportsfan
11-11-2013, 08:57 AM
We probably shouldn't give up on EJ. At the rate of his development, he might end up being a good back up.

starrymessenger
11-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I understand if Marrone is, for now, towing the party line insofar as EJ is concerned.
The thing is tho, unless he is able to raise his game, they will have no alternative but to sit him.
you simply cannot continue to trot out a product that terribly deficient week after week,
and if it's bad enuf, like it was yesterday for example, the "we are developing him" argument starts to lose all credibility.
If he has to sit this season, instead of being able to shelter under the mantra of development, because it's so bad, the FO will be under enormous pressure to pick a QB, especially if a prime prospect is available when our number is first called in May of 2014.
Otherwise Brandon will have a enormous marketing issue to deal with. With this team in particular you cannot, or at least should not, run the risk of multiyear Gabbert like experience. It sucks because we could use that high pick on another position of need - A. Barr anyone, but the QB position is just too important. The rest of this teams not that far away.

TacklingDummy
11-11-2013, 09:22 AM
We probably shouldn't give up on EJ. At the rate of his development, he might end up being a good back up.

Awesome, while other teams pick franchise QB's in the 1st round, we pick solid backups.