PDA

View Full Version : Analytics - Eric Wood is bad at run blocking

kingJofNYC
11-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Eric Wood is currently almost dead to last in PFF run blocking. Had an awful game today in that dept. Always hurt to boot. His reward is a multi year contract extension. ANALYTICS

coastal
11-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Maybe we can kick Cordy Glenn inside.

jimmifli
11-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Or easily replace Levitre at Guards don't matter.

Mace
11-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Eric Wood is currently almost dead to last in PFF run blocking. Had an awful game today in that dept. Always hurt to boot. His reward is a multi year contract extension. ANALYTICS

Let's be real honest here, Wood might be a team leader who triumphed over gruesome injury, and gives a good interview with his red golden locks shining in the afternoon sun, but he's not all that particularly excellent at much of anything. I thought he was better at guard.

Trade him to Tennessee and draft another one. Linemen are a dime a dozen, we need get a waterbug back to help the QB we don't have yet and some world class speed receivers who don't run downfield so we can reach for a QB for the next coach after drafting more db's justin rogers, I mean just in case.

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed atm. Think I'm going to take a break from sports.

jimmifli
11-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Think I'm going to take a break from sports.
But don't take a break from message boards. You're getting pretty good at it.

DynaPaul
11-10-2013, 11:11 PM
He's the Chris Kelsay of O-Linemen.

YardRat
11-11-2013, 06:22 AM
No kidding. Get a real mauler at center, and kick him to guard.

YardRat
11-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Or easily replace Levitre at Guards don't matter.

Levitre's power game sucks also...he's only decent when he can get out in space, but has always struggled with power linemen and getting any push off the snap. That's why he isn't worth anywhere near the money the Titans gave him.

casdhf
11-11-2013, 07:33 AM
You people are insane. We have a ton of issues, but Eric Wood isn't one of them.

DraftBoy
11-11-2013, 07:36 AM
You people are insane. We have a ton of issues, but Eric Wood isn't one of them.

They aren't saying Wood is a bad or a problem, they are saying that at least one part of his game is not up to par. Even some of the best players have flaws, Wood has some as much as anybody else.

DraftBoy
11-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Levitre's power game sucks also...he's only decent when he can get out in space, but has always struggled with power linemen and getting any push off the snap. That's why he isn't worth anywhere near the money the Titans gave him.

We haven't had a road grader at OG since Reuben Brown was in his prime. Levtire was one of the most athletic OG's we've ever had, but you're right he struggled against power NT's and couldn't drive block when you needed it. On the pull or trap though there were few who are better in the NFL.

MikeInRoch
11-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Adding in "always hurt to boot" is a key indicator that we can ignore your post.

jdaltroy5
11-11-2013, 08:12 AM
That was one of the things Chan was good at. He recognized the skills of the players and adapted the offense accordingly. He knew that we didn't have a road grading IOL, so we didn't run up the middle all the time. He gave CJ the ball in space and got our guys out to the second level where they could easily block LBs.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-11-2013, 09:49 AM
That was one of the things Chan was good at. He recognized the skills of the players and adapted the offense accordingly. He knew that we didn't have a road grading IOL, so we didn't run up the middle all the time. He gave CJ the ball in space and got our guys out to the second level where they could easily block LBs.

to some point, you're right, but Chan was also the guy who gave CJ the ball 6 times despite rushing for 50 yards in those 6 carries

jdaltroy5
11-11-2013, 09:56 AM
to some point, you're right, but Chan was also the guy who gave CJ the ball 6 times despite rushing for 50 yards in those 6 carries
That's true as well and we were all frustrated by it.

But maybe the reason CJ was so effective is because of the amount that he was being used.

He was always fresh and never banged up.

jimmifli
11-11-2013, 10:24 AM
You build gameplan's around the payers you have. If he's good in space, get him in space. We've got a RB that would also fit that description, I'm sure it can't be too hard to draw up some plays that utilize their skill set.

We haven't replaced Levitre with an NFL caliber lineman and we didn't spend the money on anything else. Keep cheering for judicious use of Ralph's money, it's worked well for the last 14 years.

DraftBoy
11-11-2013, 10:26 AM
You build gameplan's around the payers you have. If he's good in space, get him in space. We've got a RB that would also fit that description, I'm sure it can't be too hard to draw up some plays that utilize their skill set.

We haven't replaced Levitre with an NFL caliber lineman and we didn't spend the money on anything else. Keep cheering for judicious use of Ralph's money, it's worked well for the last 14 years.

While you're right we didn't adequately replace Levitre, and we didn't spend the "savings" but are you advocating we should of spent the money just to say we spent it? The market has to be right and that's the factor we just don't know about that.

SpikedLemonade
11-11-2013, 10:32 AM
That's true as well and we were all frustrated by it.

But maybe the reason CJ was so effective is because of the amount that he was being used.

He was always fresh and never banged up.

B-I-N-G-O!!!

CJ will never be able to touch the ball 20 times per game given his build.

I have been saying that since the day we drafted him.

jimmifli
11-11-2013, 01:44 PM
While you're right we didn't adequately replace Levitre, and we didn't spend the "savings" but are you advocating we should of spent the money just to say we spent it? The market has to be right and that's the factor we just don't know about that.
When you let guys like Levitre see the last year of their contract it's going to be impossible to sign them without overpaying. When a player on his first contract is playing well, we should not just enjoy the savings. We should pay them market price (even though we don't have to), essentially betting that they become top talent.

Essentially, I'd like to see the Bills sign Spiller and maybe Dareus to new contracts this year. But if you fail to resign them before their final year, well then, yes I'm advocating overpaying to keep them.

The Bills essentially made a bet that Levitre wouldn't continue at his high level of play. They lost that bet, and then chose not to pay the bookie. Do that enough times and you end up walking with a limp for 14 straight years (if you'll pardon my tortured metaphor).

streetkings01
11-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Imagine if we traded up for Mangold instead of McCargo *sigh*

YardRat
11-11-2013, 03:55 PM

You don't build game plans around a one-trick pony guard. I'm completely happy they didn't over pay for an over-hyped interior lineman and instead spent that money on guys like Branch and Lawson.

YardRat
11-11-2013, 03:57 PM
When you let guys like Levitre see the last year of their contract it's going to be impossible to sign them without overpaying. When a player on his first contract is playing well, we should not just enjoy the savings. We should pay them market price (even though we don't have to), essentially betting that they become top talent.

Essentially, I'd like to see the Bills sign Spiller and maybe Dareus to new contracts this year. But if you fail to resign them before their final year, well then, yes I'm advocating overpaying to keep them.

The Bills essentially made a bet that Levitre wouldn't continue at his high level of play. They lost that bet, and then chose not to pay the bookie. Do that enough times and you end up walking with a limp for 14 straight years (if you'll pardon my tortured metaphor).

You don't know that. Maybe they just knew he wasn't worth the money.

'High level of play' my ass...the guy was a cupcake unless he was out in space.

DraftBoy
11-11-2013, 04:05 PM

Agreed, but that's not really what we've been talking about.

So if we utilize the "savings" from Levitre to lock up Spiller and Dareus is that not at least some kind of good thing?

True, but you don't double down on a bad bet and end up with cement shoes either.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 04:10 PM
So if we utilize the "savings" from Levitre to lock up Spiller and Dareus is that not at least some kind of good thing?

Levitre was a free agent two years before either of those guys, with any kind of sensible contract management they wouldn't have anything to do with each other.

DraftBoy
11-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Levitre was a free agent two years before either of those guys, with any kind of sensible contract management they wouldn't have anything to do with each other.

Overall though I agree with the point if they wait. If they sign them shortly after this season ends then you could argue the savings are there.

cookie G
11-11-2013, 06:13 PM

They should have kept Colin Brown, moved Legursky to center, and let Cordy Glenn cover for all of them. You really only need one good lineman anyways.

That would free up a few million more dollars to heal Byrd's foot ailment.

PS. Predicted this last spring when they decided to replace Levitre with...no one. Said it wouldn't take long for people to start calling out Wood. A guy making that much should be able to play his position and cover for 2 others at the same time.

Mr. Pink
11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Everyone is bad at run blocking when the opposition can put 8 in the box all game long because your QB is too afraid to throw the ball more than 10 yards down field.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Everyone is bad at run blocking when the opposition can put 8 in the box all game long because your QB is too afraid to throw the ball more than 10 yards down field.

10 yards? you exaggerate greatly! Try 5