PDA

View Full Version : NEWS FLASH: EJ WAS A FORTH ROUND GRADE ON MOST BOARDS!!!

soapman
11-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Why are we all SO surprised he sucks? He plays the way you would expect a 4th round type BACKUP QB should play when forced to start. The fact that so many drank the cool aid is astonishing to me. There just is no real evidence nor has there ever been that he was, is, or will be ready to be a "franchise" QB. I said this from the beginning, he was a huge reach, and we will pay for it because we will be tied to him for at least another year...or TWO.

SquishDaFish
11-10-2013, 10:19 PM
You saw all the team's boards? Your an insider?

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Why are we all SO surprised he sucks? He plays the way you would expect a 4th round type BACKUP QB should play when forced to start. The fact that so many drank the cool aid is astonishing to me. There just is no real evidence nor has there ever been that he was, is, or will be ready to be a "franchise" QB. I said this from the beginning, he was a huge reach, and we will pay for it because we will be tied to him for at least another year...or TWO.

This thread is a terrible reach.

TacklingDummy
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Some people who know football said EJ conned his way into the first round. Looks like they were right.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 12:13 AM
You saw all the team's boards? Your an insider?

We saw the Cowboys' board and that's where they had him FWIW.

SeatownBillsFan21
11-11-2013, 12:38 AM
I may be in the minority here but this team is still looking for its next QB. Hes got 6 more game to prove otherwise. Nice guys finish last.

Ingtar33
11-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Some people who know football said EJ conned his way into the first round. Looks like they were right.

i wouldn't say "conned" i'd say he was destined for the first round because he has all the things people who don't actually watch college football value in a prospect. And there are a shocking number of front office folks in the nfl who don't watch college football. I knew just looking at the kid at FSU he was destined for round one... cause i knew there would be one team out there controled by a coach or gm who couldn't care less about actually watching college football who'd fall in love with him in a workout or combine or bowl game, and then glance at his measurables and tada! round 1 pick

BTW: remember EJ was the standout QB at the senior bowl. That just cinched his round 1 status.

the shame of it is it had to be the bills who were one of those teams who had someone important in their FO who doesn't watch college football who fell in love with the kid.

jills
11-11-2013, 01:24 AM
I didn't like him coming out and I still don't like him now. We were the only team stupid enough to draft a QB in the 1st round this year.

This team just loves wasting 1st rounders on crappy players.

Historian
11-11-2013, 04:43 AM
If he looks like this at this point next year, you have a cause for concern.

At this point, it's message board fodder.

jdaltroy5
11-11-2013, 06:23 AM
i wouldn't say "conned" i'd say he was destined for the first round because he has all the things people who don't actually watch college football value in a prospect. And there are a shocking number of front office folks in the nfl who don't watch college football. I knew just looking at the kid at FSU he was destined for round one... cause i knew there would be one team out there controled by a coach or gm who couldn't care less about actually watching college football who'd fall in love with him in a workout or combine or bowl game, and then glance at his measurables and tada! round 1 pick
Really? You don't think the Bills have watched any of his college games?

Some of you guys are just getting ridiculous.

BTW: remember EJ was the standout QB at the senior bowl. That just cinched his round 1 status.

the shame of it is it had to be the bills who were one of those teams who had someone important in their FO who doesn't watch college football who fell in love with the kid.

trapezeus
11-11-2013, 07:22 AM

not to defend EJ too much after that putrid showing, but the cowboys also put 100MM into Tony romo winning it all for them. their decision making is suspect.

DraftBoy
11-11-2013, 07:35 AM
I'd be interested to ever see what Whaley thought of the QB class compared to Nix. We'll never get to see that but if his decision to pick Manuel matched Nix then we have the first thing to possible be concerned about with Whaley.

starrymessenger
11-11-2013, 09:18 AM
I'd be interested to ever see what Whaley thought of the QB class compared to Nix. We'll never get to see that but if his decision to pick Manuel matched Nix then we have the first thing to possible be concerned about with Whaley.
I have high expectations for Whaley but you are right. He has done a great sales job to the fanbase on EJ, and that has worried me, but I've tried to make myself feel better in wanting to think that EJ was not his pick. It would be great to know whether this was more Buddy than Dougie. Of course we will never know.

imbondz
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM

The Cowboys spent $100 million on Romo so I'd guess every QB in the draft this year was in their 4th-5th round board

kingJofNYC
11-11-2013, 09:25 AM

We'll find out this offseason, if he was never sold on EJ and he continues to play the way he has, then we'll be drafting a QB once again.

starrymessenger
11-11-2013, 09:37 AM
We'll find out this offseason, if he was never sold on EJ and he continues to play the way he has, then we'll be drafting a QB once again.
Idk if yesterday's performance was an anomaly or really a true picture of how lacking EJ is in basic skills, but if his play does not improve I would think Whaley's hand will be forced regardless of whether he was an EJ fanboy or not.
The EJ experiment at least has continuing interest in a clinical sense - whether a player with all the required physical attributes and a good head on his shoulders can overcome the limitations that most observers had flagged going into the draft. Most experts said he needed to be "moulded" into a starting calibre QB at the next level. Question to be answered is whether his limitations represent a dead zone that really cannot be corrected.

ServoBillieves
11-11-2013, 09:41 AM
I do not defend EJ for yesterday. That looked like a lost, terrible football player trying to win on a deflated team. He couldn't hit water throwing out of a boat, broad side of a barn, you name it. He was awful.

I will say this: He is a rookie. He is not used to the speed of the game, and especially after his injury, Hackett and Marrone are about 85% in charge of this putrid showing.

Someone said on the board yesterday that it was baffling that the playbook is cut to 1/4th when we have our "starting young star" in, yet it's wide open for Thad and of all people Jeff Tuel. We went away from the hurry-up, every time CJ came in to spell Fred it gave the opposition a chance to make up matches, it was an unbelievably bad coaching effort. The KC game was horridly coached, this game was no different.

A good, even menial quarterback makes those throws though. If this team wanted a game changer, good luck because he's in a bad spot.

So let's please win out with this pathetic schedule so we have hope for 2014 and be crushed again.

starrymessenger
11-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I do not defend EJ for yesterday. That looked like a lost, terrible football player trying to win on a deflated team. He couldn't hit water throwing out of a boat, broad side of a barn, you name it. He was awful.

I will say this: He is a rookie. He is not used to the speed of the game, and especially after his injury, Hackett and Marrone are about 85% in charge of this putrid showing.

Someone said on the board yesterday that it was baffling that the playbook is cut to 1/4th when we have our "starting young star" in, yet it's wide open for Thad and of all people Jeff Tuel. We went away from the hurry-up, every time CJ came in to spell Fred it gave the opposition a chance to make up matches, it was an unbelievably bad coaching effort. The KC game was horridly coached, this game was no different.

A good, even menial quarterback makes those throws though. If this team wanted a game changer, good luck because he's in a bad spot.

So let's please win out with this pathetic schedule so we have hope for 2014 and be crushed again.
i actually thought that the Chiefs game was well called - except for one play.
But I don't know whether that gameplan was a stroke of genius, or whether the Bills just lucked out. What I mean is if you are KC you are sure that with a running game like ours and an UDFA QB making his first start the Bills are going to run all day long. After all you would think it's their only chance. Coming out throwing the ball clearly had them off balance and, as Chan was fond of saying, you can sometimes pass to open up the run game, which is pretty much what happened. With EJ it looks like the thinking was we can get by with a less aggressive gameplan on O because we have a more talented guy under centre, we need to develop him and we are paranoid about his getting injured again.
But based on what we saw yesterday no gameplan was going to save EJs rear end because he flat out could not execute anything at all.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 10:12 AM
The Cowboys spent $100 million on Romo so I'd guess every QB in the draft this year was in their 4th-5th round board

No, their board showed Smith Nassib and Barkley as second rounders.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/219104-Cowboys-draft-board-partially-leaked
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/5/30/4378574/dallas-cowboys-2013-draft-board-leaked-almost-complete-7-round-board

soapman
11-11-2013, 02:03 PM
not to defend EJ too much after that putrid showing, but the cowboys also put 100MM into Tony romo winning it all for them. their decision making is suspect.
Would you take Romo right now?

Mr. Pink
11-11-2013, 02:07 PM

As much as people bag on Romo he's better than any QB the Bills have had since Kelly.

Bledsoe in his prime was better than Romo but we got him nearing the end of his career.

With Romo this is at worst a 6-4 team.

gr8slayer
11-11-2013, 02:11 PM
As a fan of both teams, I'd rather take my chances with the rookie. Romo has had a good run (especially for a guy who wasn't drafted), but he's either very injured right now, or age is catching up with him; just not the same QB.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 02:19 PM
As a fan of both teams, I'd rather take my chances with the rookie. Romo has had a good run (especially for a guy who wasn't drafted), but he's either very injured right now, or age is catching up with him; just not the same QB.

Statistically he's having one of his best seasons ever. He's just still doing the Tony Romo thing where he makes mistakes at critical times.

He's one of the best passers of the last decade, just not one of its best quarterbacks.

gr8slayer
11-11-2013, 02:23 PM
I could really care less about statistics, the game tape doesn't lie. This year he's incredibly inaccurate, has no arm strength, can't scramble, isn't taking shots down field, is ignoring the best player on the team (Dez Bryant), and is hurting the team more than he's helping. Also, his statistics are incredibly inflated by the Broncos game. Since that game, his statistics have come mostly in garbage time. The guy just isn't a very good QB since the Broncos game, there's no way around it.
Statistically he's having one of his best seasons ever. He's just still doing the Tony Romo thing where he makes mistakes at critical times.

He's one of the best passers of the last decade, just not one of its best quarterbacks.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 02:35 PM
I could really care less about statistics, the game tape doesn't lie. This year he's incredibly inaccurate, has no arm strength, can't scramble, isn't taking shots down field, is ignoring the best player on the team (Dez Bryant), and is hurting the team more than he's helping. Also, his statistics are incredibly inflated by the Broncos game. Since that game, his statistics have come mostly in garbage time. The guy just isn't a very good QB since the Broncos game, there's no way around it.

What garbage time? Since the Broncos game they have 3 wins, one one-point loss in the final seconds, and one blowout last night in which he was terrible.

SquishDaFish
11-11-2013, 04:00 PM

As a fan of both teams also I can agree with you about Romo. He pisses me off most of the time. He def looks different this season

better days
11-11-2013, 04:36 PM

EXACTLY, & that is the reason EJ was a 4th rnd pick on the Cowboys board.

I think if he were still on the board at that point, they would have drafted him.

BUT he was much higher on other teams boards like the Bills, Jets & Eagles.

better days
11-11-2013, 04:39 PM
No, their board showed Smith Nassib and Barkley as second rounders.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/219104-Cowboys-draft-board-partially-leaked
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/5/30/4378574/dallas-cowboys-2013-draft-board-leaked-almost-complete-7-round-board

Unless I see a picture of the ACTUAL Cowboys board that shows that, I am calling BS.

better days
11-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Unless I see a picture of the ACTUAL Cowboys board that shows that, I am calling BS.

And if it were true, why did the Cowboys not draft one of those QB's in the 2nd rnd?

That is the reason for a board, you put players you want to draft on it.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 04:43 PM
EXACTLY, & that is the reason EJ was a 4th rnd pick on the Cowboys board.

I think if he were still on the board at that point, they would have drafted him.

BUT he was much higher on other teams boards like the Bills, Jets & Eagles.

That's clearly not how the Cowboys use their draft board. As I pointed out, they had three QBs with second round grades and passed on two of them. Twice each.

You rank the guy's talent irrespective of your own needs. Now, your needs will clearly affect the actual draft decision but they shouldn't affect the draft board ranking.

Mr. Pink
11-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Well you can see on their actual board that Zac Ertz, Ryan Nassib, Giovanni Bernard, Matt Barkley, DJ Hayden, Sylvester Williams all were graded in the same round.

better days
11-11-2013, 04:46 PM
That's clearly not how the Cowboys use their draft board. As I pointed out, they had three QBs with second round grades and passed on two of them. Twice each.

You rank the guy's talent irrespective of your own needs. Now, your needs will clearly affect the actual draft decision but they shouldn't affect the draft board ranking.

And as I said I am calling BS on the Cowboys board BS.

A board is to keep track of players YOU want to draft as a team.

The ONLY players on a teams board are players a team is interested in DRAFTING.

AGAIN, so WHY did the Cowboys NOT draft a QB in the 2nd rnd?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 04:49 PM

They were cobbled together from screen shots of a video taken while he was interviewing in front of the board. He has never disputed its accuracy and doesn't seem to care. There are plenty of screen grabs of Cowboys draft boards from previous years out there on the web.

better days
11-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Well you can see on their actual board that Zac Ertz, Ryan Nassib, Giovanni Bernard, Matt Barkley, DJ Hayden, Sylvester Williams all were graded in the same round.

I can NOT see that from the link of the Cowboys board.. If you have a BETTER picture of the Cowboys board that shows what you are saying, please link it.

And AGAIN, WHY did the Cowboys NOT draft a QB in the 2nd rnd that they had slotted there?

Mr. Pink
11-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I can NOT see that from the link of the Cowboys board.. If you have a BETTER picture of the Cowboys board that shows what you are saying, please link it.

And AGAIN, WHY did the Cowboys NOT draft a QB in the 2nd rnd that they had slotted there?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2695333/jerry.png

better days
11-11-2013, 04:51 PM
They were cobbled together from screen shots of a video taken while he was interviewing in front of the board. He has never disputed its accuracy and doesn't seem to care. There are plenty of screen grabs of Cowboys draft boards from previous years out there on the web.

Well, then link one from this year & EXPLAIN why the Cowboys did not draft a QB in the 2nd rnd that they had slotted there.

Until I see a screen shot of the ACTUAL BOARD, I am calling BS.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Because you only get one pick per round. You might have multiple guys ranked in that round, but you still only get to take one.

And this might shock you, but sometimes teams don't follow their own board. Notice that after Dallas traded down, every one with a first round grade was gone so they used their first on a second round graded guy (Frederick) at a position of need.

ServoBillieves
11-12-2013, 12:07 AM
There are dual Bills/Cowboys fans? Multiple?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b30da8726527766d1f6b7e3778c70286/tumblr_mj5823ohgL1ru74s4o1_500.jpg

better days
11-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Because you only get one pick per round. You might have multiple guys ranked in that round, but you still only get to take one.

And this might shock you, but sometimes teams don't follow their own board. Notice that after Dallas traded down, every one with a first round grade was gone so they used their first on a second round graded guy (Frederick) at a position of need.

As you pointed out, the Cowboys passed on TWO QB's TWICE. Yes, I know teams have multiple players slotted in the same rnd, BUT if a player falls & is still available with the next pick, teams PICK that player.

If that was REALLY their board, I think they would have drafted one of the QB's when he was STILL AVAILABLE a round later than they had him slotted.

I am calling BS just like I am calling BS on the Cowboys not using their board to track players THEY want to draft. Just like EVERY NFL team.

That is the ENTIRE purpose of a draft board, to keep track of players YOU want to draft.

IMO, that BOGUS board has some names correct, while others are NOT really the players the Cowboys had slotted in that spot.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-12-2013, 12:44 AM
As you pointed out, the Cowboys passed on TWO QB's TWICE. Yes, I know teams have multiple players slotted in the same rnd, BUT if a player falls & is still available with the next pick, teams PICK that player.

If that was REALLY their board, I think they would have drafted one of the QB's when he was STILL AVAILABLE a round later than they had him slotted.

I am calling BS just like I am calling BS on the Cowboys not using their board to track players THEY want to draft. Just like EVERY NFL team.

That is the ENTIRE purpose of a draft board, to keep track of players YOU want to draft.

IMO, that BOGUS board has some names correct, while others are NOT really the players the Cowboys had slotted in that spot.

LMAO ok. Look at the link. They had Gavin Escobar and Terrence Williams with second round grades and JJ Wilcox with a third.

Who did they take in the second? Escobar.
Who did they take in the third? Williams.
Who else did they take in the third? Wilcox.

You seem to think they just pick whomever's on top of the board like they were Yahoo Fantasy Football auto-drafting. If that's what you have to believe so you can keep thinking we stole Manuel out from under the league, then be my guest.

better days
11-12-2013, 07:50 AM
LMAO ok. Look at the link. They had Gavin Escobar and Terrence Williams with second round grades and JJ Wilcox with a third.

Who did they take in the second? Escobar.
Who did they take in the third? Williams.
Who else did they take in the third? Wilcox.

You seem to think they just pick whomever's on top of the board like they were Yahoo Fantasy Football auto-drafting. If that's what you have to believe so you can keep thinking we stole Manuel out from under the league, then be my guest.

Well, Let's SEE the BOARD. So far I HAVE NOT SEEN anything other that the pipe dream of some fan.

Mr. Pink
11-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Well, Let's SEE the BOARD. So far I HAVE NOT SEEN anything other that the pipe dream of some fan.

I posted a pic of the board with Jerry standing in front of it!

IlluminatusUIUC
11-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Jerry confirmed it was accurate, but that he didn't care: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000209401/article/jerry-jones-cowboys-leaked-draft-board-no-big-deal

pmoon6
11-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Well, Let's SEE the BOARD. So far I HAVE NOT SEEN anything other that the pipe dream of some fan.C'mon, my man. Manuel was projected as a third round "project". Most draft guys thought he was a raw and needed a lot of work. Which is why I didn't want him to start this year. Unfortunately, we had little choice other than to keep Leinert to start the season with a veteran.

Even though I thought Leinert got a raw deal only having three days to prepare for his "interview", I've seen him play before. Might as well toss E.J. out there and let him endure the test of fire.

better days
11-12-2013, 10:15 AM
I posted a pic of the board with Jerry standing in front of it!

BIG DEAL. you could see NOTHING from that picture.

better days
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
C'mon, my man. Manuel was projected as a third round "project". Most draft guys thought he was a raw and needed a lot of work. Which is why I didn't want him to start this year. Unfortunately, we had little choice other than to keep Leinert to start the season with a veteran.

Even though I thought Leinert got a raw deal only having three days to prepare for his "interview", I've seen him play before. Might as well toss E.J. out there and let him endure the test of fire.

It was reported at the time of the draft that both the Eagles & Jets wanted EJ. I DOUBT he would have lasted until the 4th rnd.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-12-2013, 10:21 AM

You can see their names over his right shoulder. Have you even looked at the picture?

better days
11-12-2013, 01:36 PM
You can see their names over his right shoulder. Have you even looked at the picture?

You can see a FEW names in that picture. NOT the entire board or anything close to the entire board.

Mr. Pink
11-12-2013, 01:39 PM
You can see a FEW names in that picture. NOT the entire board or anything close to the entire board.

But you can see they ranked Barkley and Nassib in the same round as Bernard and Ertz.

better days
11-12-2013, 01:52 PM
But you can see they ranked Barkley and Nassib in the same round as Bernard and Ertz.

Agreed, but a couple things............first it looks like they graded Nassib & Barkley too high & drafted neither of them although they had the opportunity to do so.

second, I don't see EJ's name ANYWHERE on that board.

BertSquirtgum
11-12-2013, 02:12 PM

Really?

soapman
11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
As much as people bag on Romo he's better than any QB the Bills have had since Kelly.

Bledsoe in his prime was better than Romo but we got him nearing the end of his career.

With Romo this is at worst a 6-4 team.

Exactly

IAG
11-12-2013, 02:15 PM
E.J. is going to be fine. He has missed a ton of time. Give it a chance.

soapman
11-12-2013, 02:21 PM

This is a terrible argument you are making. If they had the player they picked ranked higher they took him. It's not that complicated.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-12-2013, 04:13 PM

It's not the only picture they used to reconstruct the board, they were taking screenshots of a draft day interview video. That's just one of the pictures. However, it shows barkley and nassib, the two guys we are talking about here.

And ffs, Jones himself all but confirmed was accurate.

soapman
11-12-2013, 05:47 PM
It was reported at the time of the draft that both the Eagles & Jets wanted EJ. I DOUBT he would have lasted until the 4th rnd.
And THAT you take as gospel? But the actual pictures...that's BS? This guy...

better days
11-13-2013, 09:06 AM
This is a terrible argument you are making. If they had the player they picked ranked higher they took him. It's not that complicated.

But then when he fell to the next rnd, they had a chance to pick him AGAIN & didn't.

I thought QB trumps all, so if you have two guys with a similar grade, why not pick the QB?

better days
11-13-2013, 09:08 AM
And THAT you take as gospel? But the actual pictures...that's BS? This guy...

Well, let's see ACTUAL PICTURES that SHOW EVERYTHING.

NOT some BS somebody GUESSED at & claims it is the board.

Bill Cody
11-13-2013, 10:13 AM
I believe that was the Cowboys board. They've gotten sneak views of it for years. My response would be:

a) so what? that board is riddled with errors just like every teams

b) how do we make the leap from one team's board to "most" having Manuel as a 4th rounder?

c) Manuel from jump street was a hit or miss project. I have no problem whatsoever with us taking a gamble on him, he was the one guy in the draft with huge upside. If he busts he busts. This gnashing of teeth and the ridiculous hyperbole on him when he shows he's got major holes in his game is silly. Anyone that watches college football knew Manuel was green as grass and would require a lot of patience to develop. And surprise surprise he's shown that. Again, so what? There are a lot of horrible QB's in the league and a few great ones. You have to take a shot a getting a great one of you want to win. And if you swing and miss? Lather, rinse, repeat. But we're not there yet not even close.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-13-2013, 10:54 AM
But then when he fell to the next rnd, they had a chance to pick him AGAIN & didn't.

I thought QB trumps all, so if you have two guys with a similar grade, why not pick the QB?

Nobody said Jones believes this, nor that a QB should automatically be drafted over any non-QB with the same round grade. You just illogically threw that in there. If you want to believe that it was faked when even Jones himself doesn't, then do so.

Homers gonna homer.

pmoon6
11-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Nobody said Jones believes this, nor that a QB should automatically be drafted over any non-QB with the same round grade. You just illogically threw that in there. If you want to believe that it was faked when even Jones himself doesn't, then do so.

Homers gonna homer.It would be just like Jones to submit some propaganda to try to influence the teams picking ahead of him. However, now we are getting into 9/11 thermite crap and conspiracy theories in general.

Who really cares? The bottom line is what I said before. Manuel was considered a project at QB by many draft people which is why I didn't like the pick in the first round. Then again, we got an extra picks with the trade, didn't we? And many on the board were for taking a QB, regardless of the player, if he was who the Bills' liked at our original draft position.

pmoon6
11-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Homers gonna homer.Hey Lummy. Did you ever live in Buffalo or WNY?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
It would be just like Jones to submit some propaganda to try to influence the teams picking ahead of him. However, now we are getting into 9/11 thermite crap and conspiracy theories in general.

I don't doubt there is gamesmanship done of draft day, but the draft board leak wasn't collected and posted until May 30. Over a month after the draft.

Who really cares? The bottom line is what I said before. Manuel was considered a project at QB by many draft people which is why I didn't like the pick in the first round. Then again, we got an extra picks with the trade, didn't we? And many on the board were for taking a QB, regardless of the player, if he was who the Bills' liked at our original draft position.

I was on board with taking a QB, though I've said many times Manuel wasn't my first choice. But I'm saying now that we shouldn't feel handcuffed to him just because he was a first rounder either. If the value is there to take another QB, even in the first, I say do it and let them fight it out. I don't accept the idea that he deserves a second season without serious competition.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey Lummy. Did you ever live in Buffalo or WNY?

Not since I was a little kid. Why do you ask?

better days
11-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I don't doubt there is gamesmanship done of draft day, but the draft board leak wasn't collected and posted until May 30. Over a month after the draft.

I was on board with taking a QB, though I've said many times Manuel wasn't my first choice. But I'm saying now that we shouldn't feel handcuffed to him just because he was a first rounder either. If the value is there to take another QB, even in the first, I say do it and let them fight it out. I don't accept the idea that he deserves a second season without serious competition.

Well, I agree about competition. IF a QB with better potential than EJ is available in the Bills opinion, I think they should draft him.

Manuel was not my first choice either, I wanted Mike Glennon.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Well, I agree about competition. IF a QB with better potential than EJ is available in the Bills opinion, I think they should draft him.

Manuel was not my first choice either, I wanted Mike Glennon.

Then we don't disagree there.

Full disclosure, I wanted Smith and I was furious that he went to New York.

pmoon6
11-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Not since I was a little kid. Why do you ask?I don't know, it was the comment about "Homers" that made me think of it.. I know you went to school out of state and lived in Denver and now California.

For people born and raised in Buffalo, the Bills are a strange addiction. I think it comes from the national perception of the city and the Bills are the ticket to respectability for our hometown. Therefore, you will always have some die hard fans regardless. For myself, I left when I was 21, lived in S. Florida for a couple of years and then Houston and now Colorado. The job market in WNY was less than desirable when I left.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I don't know, it was the comment about "Homers" that made me think of it.. I know you went to school out of state and lived in Denver and now California.

For people born and raised in Buffalo, the Bills are a strange addiction. I think it comes from the national perception of the city and the Bills are the ticket to respectability for our hometown. Therefore, you will always have some die hard fans regardless. For myself, I left when I was 21, lived in S. Florida for a couple of years and then Houston and now Colorado. The job market in WNY was less than desirable when I left.

I'm a die hard fan, but I don't put the team or it's players on a pedestal. I praise our good moves and criticize our bad ones. There have been so many more of the latter lately that I think I've been pegged as a pessimist.

better days
11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm a die hard fan, but I don't put the team or it's players on a pedestal. I praise our good moves and criticize our bad ones. There have been so many more of the latter lately that I think I've been pegged as a pessimist.

There have been MANY MANY bad moves by the Bills over the years.

BUT LATELY, I think the moves by the Bills have been good for the most part.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2013, 11:54 AM

I actually think a lot of the moves the team have made the past couple years have been good to be honest.

They just made a horrible move at QB that completely negates the rest of it when it comes to the W column.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-13-2013, 11:58 AM

They have made a lot of good moves. They've been swamped out by the bad ones, which is why we're still fighting to get back to the lofty heights of the 7-9 years.

better days
11-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I actually think a lot of the moves the team have made the past couple years have been good to be honest.

They just made a horrible move at QB that completely negates the rest of it when it comes to the W column.

You may be right, but IMO it is too soon to say.

EJ like the rest of the team has been hampered by injury.

Marrone has said to paraphrase..........The NFL does a good thing by giving new HC's extra time with their new team. The problem is NONE of the QB's on this team were here for that extra time.

Add in the fact EJ was injured for much of that time & he is behind where he should be. We will have to see improvement by EJ going forward.

pmoon6
11-13-2013, 12:02 PM
They have made a lot of good moves. They've been swamped out by the bad ones, which is why we're still fighting to get back to the lofty heights of the 7-9 years.I do have faith in Whaley. Marrone, not so much, especially on the offensive side of the ball. For the life of me, I didn't understand why they didn't open it up in the second half and try to loosen the defense.

better days
11-13-2013, 12:11 PM
I do have faith in Whaley. Marrone, not so much, especially on the offensive side of the ball. For the life of me, I didn't understand why they didn't open it up in the second half and try to loosen the defense.

If the Bills fail to win at least 6 games this year, I think Marrone needs to fire Hackett to keep his job.

Otherwise I will call for Marrone to be fired & replaced by Pettine.

pmoon6
11-13-2013, 12:17 PM
If the Bills fail to win at least 6 games this year, I think Marrone needs to fire Hackett to keep his job.

Otherwise I will call for Marrone to be fired & replaced by Pettine.It depends on what coordinators are available. Since Hackett has had a working relationship with Marrone, he probably will keep his job unless somebody forces DM's hand.