PDA

View Full Version : Sit Behind Steelers' Bench

ghz in pittsburgh
11-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Went to the game at the last minute on one of my friend's urging, and it turned out to be worse than I expected (because of the incompetance of EJ). Didn't wear my Bills jersey becaus I know where I was going to sit and didn't want any unnecessary trouble, especially knowing the type of person my friend is and he sat next to me. You guys can bash me all you want, but I left early, didn't see the last Bills TD. I DON'T WANT TO SEE GARBAGE PLAYS TO PAD STATS.

I guess I may know the Steelers better than the Bills as I had warned everyone, including here, that the Steelers would bounce back, mostly by pride. Lebeau used extra LB on most early downs to stop the run; he also coverred deep because he didn't want big plays; as a result there was almost no blitz the entire game.

So what did EJ do? Happy feet as ever. He'd get rid of the ball as fast as he could where in reality, he had time to set up, let play develops, and deliver good passes. It's probably the worst performance I've seen a Bills QB play live.

In the big picture, this may be part of the maturation process a young QB has to go through. If you see the defense has everyone covered up, that usually means they don't have enough pass rushers. Since the Bills have a relatively good O-Line in the league, you direct the proper protection at the line (though 3-4 D adds a little more complexity in who's coming, who's not) and you should have more time in the pocket. Look at what Roethlisberger was doing. The few times the Bills didn't pressure or didn't get to him, he stayed in the pocket and delivered big damages.

Marrone looked defeated towards the end of 3rd quarter. He sounded so in the presser. I'm pretty sure it's his plan to develop a QB this year and so on, in other words, winning is not the most important thing right now, but it is hard for guys like Kyle, Mario, Jackson, etc. who are playing at their peak and had to wait one more year.

As I walked out the stadium with my friend and chatted with a few along the way, I told everyone the Bills are NOT worse than the Steelers, even though they offerred no resistance today. Without counting the players who will be better next year and onwards, even this year, the Bills have more better individual players than the Steelers' and the Steelers are right at the max of the cap this and next year. All the local sports writers, broadcast personnel all acknowledge that the Bills now have players and a coaching staff for a brighter future. The difference is they have Roethlisberger and the Bills have ... unknown EJ Manuel. I stand by my statement that regardless what EJ does the rest of the year, I want the Bills to draft a QB high next year, especially if they have someone rated higher than EJ still on the board.

trapezeus
11-11-2013, 12:25 PM
well said....it's a game that is now dependent on accuracy. Ben made some throws where the coverage was there, but the ball was for the receiver only. EJ wasn't in the same zip code on some passes and not in step with receivers on others.

You can't have as many 3-0 when your defense is playing lights out.

Hackett had a nice first drive with good momentum,but then got figured out and did nothing to change. and EJ never made an adjustment. he just kept running fred jackson into lethal hit after lethal hit.

i am scared that the bills will still have to focus on the draft to rebuild for OL, a possible RB with jackson up there in age, and a WR. The Bills would be best served by getting a LB stud to fill out the LB core to take them from good to dominant.

TacklingDummy
11-11-2013, 12:29 PM
You guys can bash me all you want, but I left early, didn't see the last Bills TD. I DON'T WANT TO SEE GARBAGE

How can you leave early? EJ was just getting into rhythm around the 58 minute mark. Just ask Rich Gannon.

EDS
11-11-2013, 12:52 PM
How can you leave early? EJ was just getting into rhythm around the 58 minute mark. Just ask Rich Gannon.

I am sure someone a few weeks from now will talk about EJ's compelling results in the final two minutes of the game. Clearly in this case, EJ was in beastmode against a fearful Steelers defense!

SquishDaFish
11-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Sorry i didnt read that whole post once I saw you say your a pussy because you wouldnt wear the opponents jersey

Oaf
11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Went to the game at the last minute on one of my friend's urging, and it turned out to be worse than I expected (because of the incompetance of EJ). Didn't wear my Bills jersey becaus I know where I was going to sit and didn't want any unnecessary trouble, especially knowing the type of person my friend is and he sat next to me. You guys can bash me all you want, but I left early, didn't see the last Bills TD. I DON'T WANT TO SEE GARBAGE PLAYS TO PAD STATS.

I guess I may know the Steelers better than the Bills as I had warned everyone, including here, that the Steelers would bounce back, mostly by pride. Lebeau used extra LB on most early downs to stop the run; he also coverred deep because he didn't want big plays; as a result there was almost no blitz the entire game.

So what did EJ do? Happy feet as ever. He'd get rid of the ball as fast as he could where in reality, he had time to set up, let play develops, and deliver good passes. It's probably the worst performance I've seen a Bills QB play live.

In the big picture, this may be part of the maturation process a young QB has to go through. If you see the defense has everyone covered up, that usually means they don't have enough pass rushers. Since the Bills have a relatively good O-Line in the league, you direct the proper protection at the line (though 3-4 D adds a little more complexity in who's coming, who's not) and you should have more time in the pocket. Look at what Roethlisberger was doing. The few times the Bills didn't pressure or didn't get to him, he stayed in the pocket and delivered big damages.

Marrone looked defeated towards the end of 3rd quarter. He sounded so in the presser. I'm pretty sure it's his plan to develop a QB this year and so on, in other words, winning is not the most important thing right now, but it is hard for guys like Kyle, Mario, Jackson, etc. who are playing at their peak and had to wait one more year.

As I walked out the stadium with my friend and chatted with a few along the way, I told everyone the Bills are NOT worse than the Steelers, even though they offerred no resistance today. Without counting the players who will be better next year and onwards, even this year, the Bills have more better individual players than the Steelers' and the Steelers are right at the max of the cap this and next year. All the local sports writers, broadcast personnel all acknowledge that the Bills now have players and a coaching staff for a brighter future. The difference is they have Roethlisberger and the Bills have ... unknown EJ Manuel. I stand by my statement that regardless what EJ does the rest of the year, I want the Bills to draft a QB high next year, especially if they have someone rated higher than EJ still on the board.

Appreciate the writeup, thanks for sharing the live observations a la the TC reports.