PDA

View Full Version : the tyler myers turning point

JATMtheJATM
11-11-2013, 12:37 PM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-sabres/articles/the-tyler-myers-turning-point.html

this is absolutely a true article. every year, minus his rookie year, myers starts slow. and i mean SLOW. everyone gets on his ass, but he seems to right the ship, and starts playing competent hockey. the writer doesnt paint a rosy story of comparing him to charas first years, saying myers will become him, but points out that myers is still young, and he can clearly play at a solid level of hockey at the NHL and be an asset to the team. i think this is accurate.

ive given up on myers becoming an elite franchise d-man, but i still believe he can be a top 4 guy and become an asset going forward. and in many ways, he has become that asset, after his slow start.

heres hoping.

and, i just want to say this. for those burning myers for his slow start, hes not the first in buffalo sabres history to have a tendency to come out slow to start a season. the great dominik hasek was notorious for this. of course, you cant compare hasek and myers, for oh so many reasons. but some players just start slow.

trapezeus
11-12-2013, 08:05 AM
they start slow because they take the offseason off. and they use the company time to get back in shape and that costs us in money and in games won. which ultimately costs us seeding and possibilities of the playoffs.

he's got a long term deal at 22 or something. contracts are guaranteed. he's coasting because he can.

JATMtheJATM
11-12-2013, 11:18 AM
they start slow because they take the offseason off. and they use the company time to get back in shape and that costs us in money and in games won. which ultimately costs us seeding and possibilities of the playoffs.

he's got a long term deal at 22 or something. contracts are guaranteed. he's coasting because he can.

thats what i heard, that myers always took the summers off. i hear he didnt this year. like the writer says, the talent is there. its all between his ears. but after he started slow, he began to play better. so its a start. i think he can still be a large piece of the puzzle myself.

but remember last year? he couldnt touch the puck without giving it away. at least hes fixed that. now, if he can fix his positioning....

WagonCircler
11-13-2013, 09:34 AM
http://www.buffalowins.com/buffalo-sabres/articles/the-tyler-myers-turning-point.html

this is absolutely a true article. every year, minus his rookie year, myers starts slow. and i mean SLOW. everyone gets on his ass, but he seems to right the ship, and starts playing competent hockey. the writer doesnt paint a rosy story of comparing him to charas first years, saying myers will become him, but points out that myers is still young, and he can clearly play at a solid level of hockey at the NHL and be an asset to the team. i think this is accurate.

ive given up on myers becoming an elite franchise d-man, but i still believe he can be a top 4 guy and become an asset going forward. and in many ways, he has become that asset, after his slow start.

heres hoping.

and, i just want to say this. for those burning myers for his slow start, hes not the first in buffalo sabres history to have a tendency to come out slow to start a season. the great dominik hasek was notorious for this. of course, you cant compare hasek and myers, for oh so many reasons. but some players just start slow.

Your signature is EPIC.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 10:56 AM
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-tyler-myers-confident-hes-finally-regaining-old-form/

heres an article by bill hoppe the morning about myers recent turn around. i guess nolan is glowing about myers.

glad the sabres didnt give up on him.

coastal
11-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Trade!

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 12:11 PM
yeah, not gonna happen.

coastal
11-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Fanboy

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Fanboy

*shrugs*

it is what it is. hes a young, highly talented player who is turning the corner on his massive struggles. im not ready to write him off, and it looks as though the sabres patience with him is starting to pay off as his play improves.

i mean, hell, even the sabres head coach likes his play. i wouldnt move him right now unless the deal is right.

Downinfloflo
11-24-2013, 01:49 PM
How long is this corner he's turning?

coastal
11-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Well it's more like a gentle bend in the road

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 02:29 PM
How long is this corner he's turning?

if you cant tell the difference between the current myers, and the myers from last season, well, i dont know.

Downinfloflo
11-24-2013, 02:38 PM
if you cant tell the difference between the current myers, and the myers from last season, well, i dont know.

Let me barrow your rose colored glasses.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Let me barrow your rose colored glasses.

maybe you could read the articles ive posted about his uptick in play instead of assuming its just me that sees the improvement?

Downinfloflo
11-24-2013, 03:26 PM
maybe you could read the articles ive posted about his uptick in play instead of assuming its just me that sees the improvement?

I watch the Sabres play.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 03:45 PM
I watch the Sabres play.

so do i. so do alot of people. and alot of people feel myers play is turning around, including writers and coaches.

you can feel about myers however you want. ive watched him play and feel he is playing better. so do alot of fans, writers, and even ted nolan. and stats show his game is improved.

at this point, the argument is rather silly. hes improving.

Downinfloflo
11-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Nice cross check by Myers....

Leads to a Detroit go ahead goal.

WagonCircler
11-24-2013, 07:06 PM
so do i. so do alot of people. and alot of people feel myers play is turning around, including writers and coaches.

you can feel about myers however you want. ive watched him play and feel he is playing better. so do alot of fans, writers, and even ted nolan. and stats show his game is improved.

at this point, the argument is rather silly. hes improving.

Why engage the Troll?

coastal
11-24-2013, 07:39 PM
I watch the games too... he's improved his puck movement some but is still lost in the defensive zone.

he was - 2 tonight.

turned the corner my ass.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 09:51 PM
I watch the games too... he's improved his puck movement some but is still lost in the defensive zone.

he was - 2 tonight.

turned the corner my ass.

did you watch the game?

one was on an empty netter, the other he had nothing to do with the play, as he was covering his assignment.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Why engage the Troll?

no idea. i guess i like talking hockey, but its pretty frustrating when people wont let go of their per-conceived opinions regardless of whats happening in front of them.

oh, and coastal, few weeks ago you were using corsi and fenwick advanced stats to prove how bad myers supposedly was. now, those stats are way up. so again, yeah, looks like hes turned a corner.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 10:22 PM
and before this gets unnecessarily ugly, im not advocating myers for norris. im not saying hes living up to his contract. im not even saying hes good. im saying hes getting better. hes playing with more edge. hes skating with the puck. hes not coughing it up every other shift. hes getting better.

i think some people are going to blame him for every goal hes on the ice for whether he had any part of it or not, like the two tonight. you dont have to like the guy, but if you dont feel hes getting better and playing better, i really dont know what to tell you. maybe you are just entertaining yourselves annoying me on the subject.

coastal
11-24-2013, 10:31 PM
did you watch the game?

one was on an empty netter, the other he had nothing to do with the play, as he was covering his assignment.
And what did he DO?

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 11:10 PM
And what did he DO?

he abandoned his assignment as soon as he saw helm in the slot with the puck. tallinder lost the battle behind the net, ennis was covering helm in the slot. myers was defending the winger who skated into the corner with the puck.

coastal
11-24-2013, 11:12 PM
You're missing the point dude.

doesnt matter... you've admitted you're not saying he's even good.

that shows judgment.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 11:20 PM
You're missing the point dude.

doesnt matter... you've admitted you're not saying he's even good.

that shows judgment.

i said hes coming around. hes a much better player then last year, even the beginning of this year. and it does matter, because you brought up tonight, even though he played the one correctly and others missed their assignment.

so how thats "myers sucking" is beyond me.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 11:34 PM
and for the record, the whole team is not very good. miller being the exception (and i hear they want to talk extension) lately, myers has been one of the sabres better d-men. they all look ok at best, some better then others. pysyks been struggling lately, mcbain sucks unless hes on the PP. ehrhoff looks good at times, lazy at others (got stripped by nyqvist, passed to Z who schools pysyk and missed on the wrap around) weber is terrible this year, tallinder looks like tallinder... the list goes on. theres a cap on play this year with the whole team being so bad.

JATMtheJATM
12-20-2013, 06:38 PM
i wanted to bump this up. lately, myers has been playing very well, and jumping up in the play, carrying the puck, ect. still has a little ways to go, but his +/- has stopped plummeting (watch him be like -3 tomorrow because i jinxed it) and his offense has ticked upwards.

he has 2 more points this season in 4 less games over last season.

(8 in 39 last year)
(10 in 35 this year)

hes also taken 7 more shots on net in 4 less games, an indication hes joining the play more.

obviously, this is a project, but im glad to see hes playing better from the beginning of this season, and for much of last season.

coastal
12-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Crickets.

JATMtheJATM
12-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Crickets.

this forum in general is crickets.

coastal
12-20-2013, 06:46 PM
this forum in general is crickets.
Well once the Bills move out of town... this will be the hottest ticket in town.

JATMtheJATM
12-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Well once the Bills move out of town... this will be the hottest ticket in town.

but do you disagree he hasnt been improving. me talking to myself does no good. i know you arernt a big myers fan, but what do you think?

coastal
12-20-2013, 07:10 PM
but do you disagree he hasnt been improving. me talking to myself does no good. i know you arernt a big myers fan, but what do you think?
I think Nolan is playing to his strengths, which a good coach should do.

i hope Tyler can continue to build on this.

my issues with him are his defensive lapses. They're fundamental mistakes and a pet peeve of mine.

Ginger Vitis
12-20-2013, 07:16 PM

He hasn't been as good as everyone thought he would be.. I think some Sabres fans thought he would bring a Chris Pronger type physical presence but Tyler doesn't have Prongers temperament or nastiness not even close. He has played better than last year but im not sure that is saying a lot. My expectations have dropped for him Id be happy if he contributed 25 to 30 points a year and played decent defense but at 5.5 million a year that's not quite enough

JATMtheJATM
12-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I think Nolan is playing to his strengths, which a good coach should do.

i hope Tyler can continue to build on this.

my issues with him are his defensive lapses. They're fundamental mistakes and a pet peeve of mine.

i agree completely. i remember last year when he was a turn over machine, out of position constantly, just... he was bad. this year hes not turning over the puck, his positioning is better, skating with the puck more (one of his strengths) and he is getting more physical.

so if he can eliminate those lapses, and i believe he can if nolan rides his ass, i think hes going to be just fine.

regardless, im happy to see him improving.

coastal
12-21-2013, 07:08 AM
i agree completely. i remember last year when he was a turn over machine, out of position constantly, just... he was bad. this year hes not turning over the puck, his positioning is better, skating with the puck more (one of his strengths) and he is getting more physical.

so if he can eliminate those lapses, and i believe he can if nolan rides his ass, i think hes going to be just fine.

regardless, im happy to see him improving.
Positioning is the everything IMO. He was atrocious last year at this.

If he can continue to learn positioning the raw talent is there to be a very good defensemen. Physicality on top of that would make him elite.

I'm not holding my breath though. Those are two big steps to take.

Honestly i I see him as a 3rd or 4th defensemen with continued improvement but not a franchise defensemen.

we shall see though.

rbochan
12-21-2013, 08:18 AM
He's been a beast lately. Damn good to see.

JATMtheJATM
12-21-2013, 10:34 AM

If he can continue to learn positioning the raw talent is there to be a very good defensemen. Physicality on top of that would make him elite.

Honestly i I see him as a 3rd or 4th defensemen with continued improvement but not a franchise defensemen.

we shall see though.

i think myers becoming a 3 or 4 dman would be just fine.

but it does seem as though hes putting it together, and becoming physical to boot. so i have some hope.

- - - Updated - - -

we shall see though.

i think myers becoming a 3 or 4 dman would be just fine.

but it does seem as though hes putting it together, and becoming physical to boot. so i have some hope.

coastal
01-18-2014, 09:12 PM
This was a turning the corner game.

JATMtheJATM
01-18-2014, 09:22 PM
This was a turning the corner game.

or a result of turning the corner ;)

either way, im happy with his progression. his certainly looking better then last year.

coastal
01-18-2014, 09:31 PM
or a result of turning the corner ;)

either way, im happy with his progression. his certainly looking better then last year.
He keeps this up he's primo trade bait.

JATMtheJATM
01-18-2014, 10:31 PM
He keeps this up he's primo trade bait.

hes already primo trade bait. his size and talent, other GMs would give up alot to get him. but it would take a ton to get him. especially now that hes playing like a second pairing dman and improving. its something the sabres wont part with, unless someone offers the farm for him (like edmontons first)

Crisis
01-18-2014, 11:58 PM
he won't be traded. he's worth more to us than what any team would be willing to give up in a trade

JATMtheJATM
01-19-2014, 09:53 AM
he won't be traded. he's worth more to us than what any team would be willing to give up in a trade

i remember in 11-12 the PK was one of the better PKs in the league. before he got injured. after he got injured, the PK plummeted. that was the year he started horribly. but got scratched, and came back like a man possessed.

JATMtheJATM
01-19-2014, 01:56 PM
bill hoppe article on myers turn around, culminating with last nights game.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-tyler-myers-dynamic-in-shootout-loss-to-blue-jackets/

ParanoidAndroid
01-20-2014, 10:31 AM
The Sabres blue line is going to be sick, especially if Myers truly does reach his original potential.

Rockstar
01-20-2014, 03:59 PM
So I just went through and read this thread JATM. Great job sticking up for Tyler. Was he playing like crap in the beginning of the season? Yeh. Was he average at best last season? Oh yeh. Did I personally ever give up on him? Hell no.

Defense is a position that you continually evolve. Do people realize that Tyler is only 23 years old?! He started playing when he was 19!! 19! That is absurdly young! Just take a moment and think about your average 19 year old kid, then think about how you feel about most 23 year olds! It takes years to develop into the player you are going to be when you start that young, and with defense it’s even more so.

Why?

Because nobody gets more ice time than the top defenseman on a team, not even a player like Sid the Kid. (Paul Martin for the Pens gets more than a minute per game and Sid is arguably the best player in the NHL) Having that much ice time leaves a D-man with extensive responsibility. Of the top 60 players in ice time throughout the entire NHL, only 8 are forwards!! Positional knowledge is the big factor here, and it can only be gained through experience.

In the beginning of Tyler’s career he got by on pure talent, and a strong defensive partner in Henrik Tallinder. Henrik was 30yrs old at that time Tyler was a rookie. (2009)

Defense is a position where you have to learn through doing it. Only time can teach the position, you have to make poor and good decisions over years to learn. It takes years to know what you can get away with based on which referee is working that game, additionally the reputation you build up directly effects whether you receive a roughing penalty or it is allowed based on how normally play. Some guys don’t get called for roughing because they always play hard and tough, whereas softer players will get called for playing out of character.

Defense is much more scrutinized than any position other than goalie and you have more responsibility than anyone on the ice. I would even make the argument more responsibility than the goalie (but that is a different conversation)

This is getting too long so to wrap it up Tyler is still developing and will continue to do so. All this said without even mentioning the Ted Nolan effect which is no minor thing. Teddy is turning careers around and Myers is in my opinion the most important player on the team who is being nurtured by Teddy.

Tyler looks more confident, he looks looser, he is making better decisions and he isn’t scared to death of making a mistake like he was with Lindy. His play shows this to be true. It’s only going to get better.

JATMtheJATM
01-20-2014, 04:33 PM
So I just went through and read this thread JATM. Great job sticking up for Tyler. Was he playing like crap in the beginning of the season? Yeh. Was he average at best last season? Oh yeh. Did I personally ever give up on him? Hell no.

Defense is a position that you continually evolve. Do people realize that Tyler is only 23 years old?! He started playing when he was 19!! 19! That is absurdly young! Just take a moment and think about your average 19 year old kid, then think about how you feel about most 23 year olds! It takes years to develop into the player you are going to be when you start that young, and with defense it’s even more so.

Why?

Because nobody gets more ice time than the top defenseman on a team, not even a player like Sid the Kid. (Paul Martin for the Pens gets more than a minute per game and Sid is arguably the best player in the NHL) Having that much ice time leaves a D-man with extensive responsibility. Of the top 60 players in ice time throughout the entire NHL, only 8 are forwards!! Positional knowledge is the big factor here, and it can only be gained through experience.

In the beginning of Tyler’s career he got by on pure talent, and a strong defensive partner in Henrik Tallinder. Henrik was 30yrs old at that time Tyler was a rookie. (2009)

Defense is a position where you have to learn through doing it. Only time can teach the position, you have to make poor and good decisions over years to learn. It takes years to know what you can get away with based on which referee is working that game, additionally the reputation you build up directly effects whether you receive a roughing penalty or it is allowed based on how normally play. Some guys don’t get called for roughing because they always play hard and tough, whereas softer players will get called for playing out of character.

Defense is much more scrutinized than any position other than goalie and you have more responsibility than anyone on the ice. I would even make the argument more responsibility than the goalie (but that is a different conversation)

This is getting too long so to wrap it up Tyler is still developing and will continue to do so. All this said without even mentioning the Ted Nolan effect which is no minor thing. Teddy is turning careers around and Myers is in my opinion the most important player on the team who is being nurtured by Teddy.

Tyler looks more confident, he looks looser, he is making better decisions and he isn’t scared to death of making a mistake like he was with Lindy. His play shows this to be true. It’s only going to get better.

and as it is now, and has been for the past few months, myers went from a player who was a bottom pairing guy at best at the beginning of the season, to easily a second pairing guy on alot of teams. and, as some of you have probably noticed, myers wasnt doing jack offensively. once his D started to improve, the rest of his game followed. and now his offensive game is beginning to return.

hes still a project, and will be for a few years. but hes an asset going forward.

this doesnt mean hes not going to look poor at times, every dman occasionally gets burned. but he certainly looks like a guy who still could reach his potential.

and when/if miller leaves, myers is going to have to take it to another level.

JATMtheJATM
01-20-2014, 04:39 PM
and another thing i noticed is when he makes a mistake, he doesnt crumble like he used to.

few weeks ago, in toronto, myers got caught flat footed and kessel streaked in back door and took a feed and scored on a PP. myers later carried the puck and created a play that tied the score with seconds to go. another sign of confidence.

Rockstar
01-20-2014, 11:39 PM
and another thing i noticed is when he makes a mistake, he doesnt crumble like he used to.

few weeks ago, in toronto, myers got caught flat footed and kessel streaked in back door and took a feed and scored on a PP. myers later carried the puck and created a play that tied the score with seconds to go. another sign of confidence.

yup, I put that down as the Ted Nolan effect. The kids confidence is growing and he is looking more and more solid every game.