Why CJ Spiller isn't good this year. From BBMB.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Why CJ Spiller isn't good this year. From BBMB.

Constantly running east to west instead of north to south. Terrible.

• Dying_-2-_Live
    • Feb 2009

Re: Why CJ Spiller isn't good this year. From BBMB.

first people whine and say he is running up the gut too much. NOW he is taking flak for bouncing it outside like everyone has wanted to see.
    "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

I don't remember anybody whining about that. I remember Spiller doing this same thing as a rookie. Last year, Gailey had it straightened out pretty well and he was hitting the proper holes. Not the case this year. He needs to be more patient like Fred. I have no idea why Fred isn't rubbing off on Spiller at all.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

There are certainly holes there and he is missing some, but our o-line isnt consistently opening any and arent doing as good of a job blocking period this year. Fred has taken advantage of the holes that ARE there by simply putting his head down and fighting for tough yards, where CJ has been trying to make the big play.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Different blocking scheme could also be part of the issue. Marrone runs a lot of zone based blocking which is completely different from Gailey. That's not to excuse Spiller's struggles because they are apparent but he's adjusting to an entirely new blocking schematic this year.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

Good Thread Hurkey.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

8 in the box on the first picture, 7 in the box on the second.

Why do you think he's bouncing outside?

There's nowhere to run up the middle.

And the funny part about Joe B's exhibits. A. CJ goes to that hole, the safety comes straight down on him and the run goes for maybe a yard. B. That hole has a linebacker in it. C. Maybe he's lucky and falls forward for a yard. D. Who cares?

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                Legendary Zoner
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

And the funny part about Joe B's exhibits. A. CJ goes to that hole, the safety comes straight down on him and the run goes for maybe a yard. B. That hole has a linebacker in it. C. Maybe he's lucky and falls forward for a yard. D. Who cares?
                Maybe coach marrone cares that cj is putting his team in bad situations by not hitting holes in a designed run. Also, everything you said was wrong.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

Could be the reason we are seeing less and less of spiller as the year goes on.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                    Could be the reason we are seeing less and less of spiller as the year goes on.
                    Hell Exhibit C the only way CJ gets anywhere besides down is if Erik Pears holds on the play. He's beat.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                      • Sep 2009

If you want to get Spiller downhill get your QB out of the gun. With Thad we went under center a lot more, we even went under center more with Tuel than we ever do with EJ. I think EJ went under center half a dozen times against Pitt.

Gailey had plenty of gun, but his gun run game was a mix or power and zone concepts, and he also mixed in Pistol runs. Pistol is great for getting your RB downhill while maintaining some of the benefits of a gun pass game. Hard to go north south when you're lining up directly next to the QB.

CJs never had elite vision, but I think he's better when you force him to go downhill. By lining him up the way they are he's more tempted to go east west.

Comment

• Homegrown
                        Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                        • Jul 2008

CJ is like a NASCAR driver ... he goes left a lot

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dying_-2-_Live View Post
                          first people whine and say he is running up the gut too much. NOW he is taking flak for bouncing it outside like everyone has wanted to see.

The frustration is that he doesn't know when to run up the gut and when to use his speed to bounce it outside. It's not one or the other- it's him not knowing the difference. It's understandable for a rookie but not for a guy who's been around as long as Spiller.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                            • Jun 2005

What pissed me off this week was the constant changing of the backs every other down or 2. Let the damn RB either Jackson or Spiller stay in for a whole drive or most of it anyway. No way can they get into any kind of groove

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

A: 15 yards between him and the safety. How many would he get before the safety got there? 5-8 yards, imo.
                              B: You can see lee smith heading towards that linebacker. An easy 3-4 yards, imo.
                              C: With CJs speed there is a hole to his right but he most likely would have been tackle as there is two Pittsburgh players to the Bills' one. Going to the left here, looked like the right idea.
                              Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 11-12-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X