PDA

View Full Version : Darcy and Rolston out? LaFontaine and Nolan in? Presser at 10:30

Dude
11-13-2013, 09:08 AM
The rumor mill is heating up on this one. Stay tuned ....

WagonCircler
11-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Holy Schneikies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpikedLemonade
11-13-2013, 09:31 AM
For the sake of the Sabres I hope the rumour is true.

SpikedLemonade
11-13-2013, 09:36 AM
It's done ==> http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=436517

SkateZilla
11-13-2013, 09:41 AM
http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=666&id=484041&lang=en&navid=nhl:topheads

YankeeInRaleigh
11-13-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm now starting my 5th or 6th minute of pant jizzing. it's starting to hurt....

Dude
11-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Wow. I honestly never saw this coming.

OpIv37
11-13-2013, 09:51 AM
woo-hoo!!!!

5 years too late on Darcy, but I'll take it.

SkateZilla
11-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Merry Christmas Everyone.

SkateZilla
11-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Im gonna laugh when Everyone expects a night and day difference in the team, they are still gonna float and play like ****, they've done it for years now, it's muscle memory.

coastal
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Ted Nolan... that's curious at best.

he was boning Hasek's wife... maybe they brought him in to bone miller's wife so he will accept a trade?

:idunno:

OpIv37
11-13-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't expect the team to play better right away. It's still a process.

And yes, the team will coast until we can ditch the rest of the dead weight like Stafford and Leino.

But now there's at least hope for when the roster turnover is complete.

sukie
11-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Can someone give a briefing on what is going on for us working non link clicking dudes?

Dude
11-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Regier and Rolston are out.

Pat Lafontaine is the new President of Hockey Ops and is going to hire a new GM. Ted Nolan is the interim head coach for the rest of the season.

Dude
11-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Im gonna laugh when Everyone expects a night and day difference in the team, they are still gonna float and play like ****, they've done it for years now, it's muscle memory.I don't think that's the expectation. There needs to be improvement on the ice, but it had to start at the top.

sukie
11-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Regier and Rolston are out.

Pat Lafontaine is the new President of Hockey Ops and is going to hire a new GM. Ted Nolan is the interim head coach for the rest of the season.

So a position was created for LALALALA?

OpIv37
11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Interesting that Nolan is "interim" HC. I guess that's cuz Pat's gonna hire a new GM and doesn't want to limit his options by dictating the coach.

trapezeus
11-13-2013, 10:15 AM
nolan is an ideal candidate for this team right now. he gets young guys to play well and higher than they themselves think is capable.

i actually do expect to see "gasp" two wins in a row because of teddy.

i hate that my championship winning feelings have been limited to buffalo teams just firing people.

YankeeInRaleigh
11-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Im gonna laugh when Everyone expects a night and day difference in the team, they are still gonna float and play like ****, they've done it for years now, it's muscle memory.

Da *** you talkin about? This basically locked us into at least the third spot in the east...but probably the cup is ours this year. hater.

Dude
11-13-2013, 10:18 AM
So a position was created for LALALALA?Yes. Terry wanted Pat as the GM but he said he wasn't ready but could run the ops.

Interesting that Nolan is "interim" HC. I guess that's cuz Pat's gonna hire a new GM and doesn't want to limit his options by dictating the coach.Yes. He alluded to this in the presser.

rbochan
11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Can someone give a briefing on what is going on for us working non link clicking dudes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8p2uobyodY

denverboz
11-13-2013, 10:29 AM
So I'm reading Nolan coached the Sabres for a couple years, mid 90's, and won the Jack Adams Award (given to the coach of the year) with the Sabres after the 1996-97 season. So anyone know why he was let go back than?

trapezeus
11-13-2013, 10:31 AM
curious that they did it after a win, and not after that total disaster in anaheim.

also interesting was some word choices by ted nolan. "want to replace credibility to the team". A nice little jab at darcy, the guy who canned him and said he couldn't work with him.

I read a blo news article from 1997 of darcy firing ted nolan (its on the main sports page). darcy came off as such a weasel then. ican't believe he held that position for 17 years.

also what will be fun is how past regimes said that he'd be scooped up immediately if ever let go. let's see where he ends up now.

rbochan
11-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Mike Schopp ‏@schopptalk
Remember the warnings guys, after four hours you should call a doctor. It's been two. #sabres

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 10:37 AM
So I'm reading Nolan coached the Sabres for a couple years, mid 90's, and won the Jack Adams Award (given to the coach of the year) with the Sabres after the 1996-97 season. So anyone know why he was let go back than?

rumors were he had an affair with haseks wife.

denverboz
11-13-2013, 10:38 AM
curious that they did it after a win, and not after that total disaster in anaheim.

also interesting was some word choices by ted nolan. "want to replace credibility to the team". A nice little jab at darcy, the guy who canned him and said he couldn't work with him.

I read a blo news article from 1997 of darcy firing ted nolan (its on the main sports page). darcy came off as such a weasel then. ican't believe he held that position for 17 years.

also what will be fun is how past regimes said that he'd be scooped up immediately if ever let go. let's see where he ends up now.

Yeah, I was just doing the math before and figured it must have been Darcy who fired Nolan when he took over. But wtf, how do you fire someone who was just named coach of the year?

OK just saw JATM's post about the rumors of Nolan and Hasek's wife. If true, that was a pretty fked up thing by Nolan. Dumb ass!
So has Nolan coached anywhere else since than? Don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Dude
11-13-2013, 10:40 AM
curious that they did it after a win, and not after that total disaster in anaheim.They won last night but played like **** - as usual.

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I was just doing the math before and figured it must have been Darcy who fired Nolan when he took over. But wtf, how do you fire someone who was just named coach of the year?

i just told you. they had to make a choice, and they chose hasek.

denverboz
11-13-2013, 10:43 AM
i just told you. they had to make a choice, and they chose hasek.

I posted before I saw your post. Thanks

trapezeus
11-13-2013, 11:00 AM
i disliked darcy so much at the end based on his smugness and his third attempt to get it right that now, i kind of want to hear from him. i want him to apologize to the fans for this suffering and tell us what the heck he was thinking.

wanker

Rockstar
11-13-2013, 11:01 AM
I have to sling drinks all day and night but I had to post here and say... WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 11:03 AM
I posted before I saw your post. Thanks

i thought maybe you thought i was kidding. i wasnt.

sukie
11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
i thought maybe you thought i was kidding. i wasnt.

Now you can start all your "rebuilding threads" as they are now relevant.

coastal
11-13-2013, 11:07 AM
I have to sling drinks all day and night but I had to post here and say... WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
I would buy you a shot and a beer!

denverboz
11-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Maybe Lafontaine and Nolan can turn it around like Sakic and Roy have done here in Denver, after they finished last in the league last year, Roy has them playing out of their minds and holding onto first at this point, with very few changes in personnel. Interesting side note, Roy actually does very little goalie coaching, instead he hired the guy who used to be his coach to coach them. I mean how good a goalie coach must this guy be to have coached Roy at one time. And btw our goalies are among the best in the league at this point.

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 11:22 AM
so does everyone still expect the sabres to finish last this year? i mean, say what you want about nolan, the sabres will skate hard every night.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you can start all your "rebuilding threads" as they are now relevant.

they already were relevant.

trapezeus
11-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Maybe Lafontaine and Nolan can turn it around like Sakic and Roy have done here in Denver, after they finished last in the league last year, Roy has them playing out of their minds and holding onto first at this point, with very few changes in personnel. Interesting side note, Roy actually does very little goalie coaching, instead he hired the guy who used to be his coach to coach them. I mean how good a goalie coach must this guy be to have coached Roy at one time. And btw our goalies are among the best in the league at this point.

they are number 1 of all goalies at beating their GF's.

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 11:25 AM

OK just saw JATM's post about the rumors of Nolan and Hasek's wife. If true, that was a pretty fked up thing by Nolan. Dumb ass!

nolan was pretty much black listed from the NHL after the hasek incident. he coached for a minute on the island, but he coached from 06-08. he was then in the amerks front office, but lost his job when pegula took over. he also coached latvia.

rbochan
11-13-2013, 11:29 AM
need... fluids...

gebobs
11-13-2013, 11:34 AM

he was boning Hasek's wife... maybe they brought him in to bone miller's wife so he will accept a trade?

I hope he schedules a layover in Pardubice on his way back from Latvia and bangs the ever loving sheeite out of her again. Hasek is second only to OJ of the Buffalo sports "heroes" that I despise the most.

coastal
11-13-2013, 11:35 AM
I hope he schedules a layover in Pardubice on his way back from Latvia and bangs the ever loving sheeite out of her again. Hasek is second only to OJ of the Buffalo sports "heroes" that I despise the most.
Well isn't that cheerful.

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 11:47 AM

thats unfortunate. hasek was the greatest goalie to ever play the game, and the peak of his career performance wise was as a sabre. weird dude, but man, was he good at stopping pucks.

denverboz
11-13-2013, 11:48 AM
they are number 1 of all goalies at beating their GF's.
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to cheer for them because of that. From all that has come out it certainly does sound like he's guilty, so it will be interesting to see where this goes, maybe him or the Avs can pay her off to drop charges.Or the Avs can pressure the DA not to press charges.

sukie
11-13-2013, 11:49 AM
so does everyone still expect the sabres to finish last this year? i mean, say what you want about nolan, the sabres will skate hard every night.

- - - Updated - - -

they already were relevant.

They were relevant if titled "teardowns"... The rebuild starts today with fresh eyes and approach.

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
They were relevant if titled "teardowns"... The rebuild starts today with fresh eyes and approach.

oh god, this is part of the rebuild.

gebobs
11-13-2013, 11:53 AM

If memory serves, Regier didn't technically fire him. He offered Nolan a 1-year contract for peanuts which was tantamount to a vote of no confidence. Nolan rejected it. Regier removed the offer and that was that. Essentially the same as firing, but I'm a stickler.

As far as I know, this was rumor and nothing more. I enjoy grinding the rumor mill like the next guy, but as many times as I've talked about this over beers in various, sundry dive bars around Buffalo back in the day, there was absolutely nothing substantial about it. And I had some close contacts with people who would know. Either it was bullcrap or such a dirty secret that the team locked it down.

He was offered the Lightning HC position soon after leaving the Sabres but turned it down for whatever reason. He then declined an assistant HC offer by the Isles. After that, the phone stopped ringing for years until the Isles hired him in '06. He took them to the playoffs and the Sabres eliminated them in five. The Islanders missed the playoffs and Garth Snow sent Nolan packing.

Since '11, he's been coach of the Latvian national team and will be behind the bench or the Olympics. Girgensons will be on that team too.

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 12:03 PM
If memory serves, Regier didn't technically fire him. He offered Nolan a 1-year contract for peanuts which was tantamount to a vote of no confidence. Nolan rejected it. Regier removed the offer and that was that. Essentially the same as firing, but I'm a stickler.

As far as I know, this was rumor and nothing more. I enjoy grinding the rumor mill like the next guy, but as many times as I've talked about this over beers in various, sundry dive bars around Buffalo back in the day, there was absolutely nothing substantial about it. And I had some close contacts with people who would know. Either it was bullcrap or such a dirty secret that the team locked it down.

He was offered the Lightning HC position soon after leaving the Sabres but turned it down for whatever reason. He then declined an assistant HC offer by the Isles. After that, the phone stopped ringing for years until the Isles hired him in '06. He took them to the playoffs and the Sabres eliminated them in five. The Islanders missed the playoffs and Garth Snow sent Nolan packing.

Since '11, he's been coach of the Latvian national team and will be behind the bench or the Olympics. Girgensons will be on that team too.

well, in addition to banging haseks wife (im saying it happened!) there was also tension between nolan and some players, as well as nolan and the front office.

coastal
11-13-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't know... timing may be off here but that kid on right looks an awful lot like Nolan..

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/slapshot/HasekRETIRE533.jpg

gebobs
11-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Well isn't that cheerful.
It's real visceral for me. Much of it based on rumor and innuendo. Probably not very rational. While he was a Sabre, I was able to look past the repeat DUI's for which he got a slap on the wrist. I was able to forgive him for walking out on the team in the '97 playoffs after he carried them to the finals in '99. I was able to chalk up his erratic behavior, including the assault on Jim Kelley, to his being another crazy goalie.

But it was more than that. Hasek was bigger than anyone on the Sabres. He was by far their best player. And he was bigger than Nolan who was still virtually unknown before 1997. He was bigger than Ruff after Nolan and Darcy too. And the problem with Hasek is he didn't grow into the role of a leader. He became a prima donna. Soon he was too big for Buffalo. He brushed this city off him faster than you could say "Da***jushappened?"

Lastly, I hate him for something he had nothing to do with really. I hate him because he was traded for that POS Kozlov and a pick that after bouncing around for a while became Danny Paille. Yes I hate Paille too for the utter gall of getting traded by the Sabres and landing on a team that had a direction and won a few championships.

I am full of hate. :-)

Historian
11-13-2013, 12:36 PM
He was a drunk, plain and simple.

Good goalie though.

Ginger Vitis
11-13-2013, 12:50 PM
I don't know... timing may be off here but that kid on right looks an awful lot like Nolan..

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/slapshot/HasekRETIRE533.jpg

His son Michael was born in 1990

coastal
11-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Semantics...

gebobs
11-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Ojib sperm can lay dormant for years in the wombs of the Anglo women they rape blocking the semen of their cuckolded husbands. It is known.

SkateZilla
11-13-2013, 01:16 PM
I'll just chalk this up as a publicity stunt to cover up anther vomit-fest of a season.

chernobylwraiths
11-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to cheer for them because of that. From all that has come out it certainly does sound like he's guilty, so it will be interesting to see where this goes, maybe him or the Avs can pay her off to drop charges.Or the Avs can pressure the DA not to press charges.

Even kidding this is pretty low.

ckg927
11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
I'll just chalk this up as a publicity stunt to cover up anther vomit-fest of a season.

Publicity stunt it may be, but the move HAD to be made.

Now we(hopefully)have people in place to do the rebuild right.

Nolan, IMO, is at best a caretaker coach. The Sabres may still be bad, but they will likely not coast on their badness game in and game out.

WagonCircler
11-13-2013, 02:26 PM
All I know is, John Scott's and Patrick Kaleta's lives just changed for the better.

trapezeus
11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Publicity stunt it may be, but the move HAD to be made.

Now we(hopefully)have people in place to do the rebuild right.

Nolan, IMO, is at best a caretaker coach. The Sabres may still be bad, but they will likely not coast on their badness game in and game out.

and frankly, his presence will help the young kids not fall apart like they seemed to be doing. how can you have all these guys on the team not know why they were getting benched? it was becoming a mental institution in there.

now nolan will lay it down. he's there for potentially short term, but if the sabres don't have a gm by xmas, then patty wanted it all along and ted's his man.

and if ted can get them to look watchable, the fans will be happy and we'll have that first ball.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
11-13-2013, 02:50 PM
I have no words; only gizzum...

Meathead
11-13-2013, 02:52 PM
so what happens to ted black

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 02:58 PM

hes still team president.

Meathead
11-13-2013, 02:59 PM
frankly im not surprised. the way the team reacted to rolson seemed to indicate they were tuning him out already. darcy im a little more surprised about only bc he had engineered some good trades and i thought maybe theyd give him to the end of the season to see if he can swing some more but he did pick rolson and the fans sure as hell wanted him out

nolan seems to be able to whip average teams into shape but i dont think he cant take them to the next level. maybe thats a trick hes learned with age, but if the new gm wants somebody else we might never know cuz its going to take more than this season to get these babies sniffing the playoffs he says super obviously

Meathead
11-13-2013, 03:01 PM
yeah i know black is still president but patty as president of hockey operations must be raising teds seat a few hundred degrees

jimmifli
11-13-2013, 03:02 PM
An oldie but a goodie, this seems relevant again:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I40HfH1UiXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

black N yellow
11-13-2013, 03:08 PM
This is so great. Darcy is gone, Amateur Rolston is gone, and Lafontaine is back where he belongs in Buffalo. A new gm will be hired who will actually be allowed to make a coaching hire/decision, and the exorcism of the old Sabres can finally conclude.

SkateZilla
11-13-2013, 03:11 PM
yeah i know black is still president but patty as president of hockey operations must be raising teds seat a few hundred degrees

It's A Glorified Name for GM

Meathead
11-13-2013, 03:16 PM
if thats the case then why even bother saying patty is going to look for a gm

if he does hire a gm then ted black appears somewhat redundant. how many presidents does a hockey team need

WagonCircler
11-13-2013, 03:21 PM
It's A Glorified Name for GM

I think Ted Black will be fine. My guess is that Pegula sees his empire evolving to include the Harbor Center and eventually a TV network and more, and that's where Ted Black's responsibilities will be.

Downinfloflo
11-13-2013, 03:22 PM
If you listen to Darren Dreger it sound's like Lafontaine does not want the GM position and they will be looking to find a GM.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=24841&id=13

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 03:27 PM
If you listen to Darren Dreger it sound's like Lafontaine does not want the GM position and they will be looking to find a GM.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=24841&id=13

yeah, we know. lafontaine is only temporary.

i think theyll hire dudley.

coastal
11-13-2013, 03:55 PM
I think Ted Black will be fine. My guess is that Pegula sees his empire evolving to include the Harbor Center and eventually a TV network and more, and that's where Ted Black's responsibilities will be.
Maybe he's looking for someone to run a bar or hang wallpaper in his stab at revitalizing the downtown area.

DetDannyWilliams
11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
This is the rumor I have heard countless of times...
No one knows the true story, but Nolan and his GM John Muckler never got along. There were rumors that Nolan went to the owners and Muckler was fired because of this. Many point to that as the reason Nolan was shunned afterwards " GM killer" was the oft used phrase. He has strenuously has always denied this. No one has yet to come forward who would confirm the story either. What is certain John Muckler had/has been around the NHL for a long time and has many friends, so even the hint of that hurt Nolan's chances of finding work after Buffalo http://newfaux.blogspot.com/2007/11/wasis-ted-nolan-being-blackballed.html

coastal
11-13-2013, 04:04 PM
This is the rumor I have heard countless of times...http://newfaux.blogspot.com/2007/11/wasis-ted-nolan-being-blackballed.html
Well it certainly appears that some within the current Sabres organization feel Nolan is a straight up guy for him to be brought back.

Mace
11-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Darcy and Rolston....well.....dancing on a coffin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiNMz_745vQ

Skooby
11-13-2013, 11:03 PM

:idunno: That's a daily event with a LA Whore like her.

JATMtheJATM
11-13-2013, 11:06 PM
That's a daily event with a LA Whore like her.

wow. thats.... uh...

i think i need to go pray.

Dr. Lecter
11-14-2013, 05:35 AM
I love the firings. Great moves. but why now?

Basically they upper management told Darcy to tear this team apart and let it suck. So he traded Leopold, Regher, Pominville and Vanek. And the team sucks. Oh does it suck. But upper management **** cans him because the team sucks. Don't get me wrong - I did not want him around. But why he did not go when Ruff did (or before or in the offseason) is a mystery. It is not like he got worse since then.

As for LaFontaine, sorry - but this move reek of appeasement of WGR's whiner line. He is, arguably, the most popular player of the last 20 years. But what makes him qualified to run a hockey department and/or pick a GM? He told Pegula that he is not qualified to be a GM - but he is qualified to above a GM? That makes no sense. Certainly he is a class act. And he was a great player. And great in the community. But when I hear that Pegula was talking to him about concussions and then decided that he should be running the hockey department based on that conversation I really have to scratch my head. It is frightening.

And Nolan? Jesus. This guy was a 500 coach when he was here last time. His teams won one playoff series - in 7 games as a #2 seed over a #7 seed, due in large part to playing against Ron Tugnutt. The year after he was gone the team improved and went to the ECF and the next year were in the SCF. Fact is - Ted Nolan is not that good of a coach. Better than Rolston? Sure. But still not very good. He is, perhaps, the most overrated person in Buffalo sports history (close battle with Flutie). Fans get all excited because his team had the "Hardest working team" moniker. First off, there are plenty of teams that work hard. Secondly, I would have the best team and the best coached team. Add in that he seems excited to John Scott play Friday and I think it is clear what this guy is - a throwback to thug hockey.

I am thrilled that the Darcy and Rolston show is over.

I just wish that there was something that resembled a real plan to replace them and not just an enamored, star struck owner making googly eyes at two former Sabres guys that are charismatic as hell with nothing to back it all up in the roles they are in.

Dr. Lecter
11-14-2013, 05:39 AM
All I know is, John Scott's and Patrick Kaleta's lives just changed for the better.

For Scott that is a shame.

he is not an AHL player let alone a NHL player. Guys like Scott have no place being in the NHL

But Nolan likes him. Sigh.

Dr. Lecter
11-14-2013, 06:21 AM
if thats the case then why even bother saying patty is going to look for a gm

if he does hire a gm then ted black appears somewhat redundant. how many presidents does a hockey team need
They are President's of different areas of the organization

(Are you going to lecture me that I don't understand Black's here too?)

coastal
11-14-2013, 07:07 AM

Basically they upper management told Darcy to tear this team apart and let it suck. So he traded Leopold, Regher, Pominville and Vanek. And the team sucks. Oh does it suck. But upper management **** cans him because the team sucks. Don't get me wrong - I did not want him around. But why he did not go when Ruff did (or before or in the offseason) is a mystery. It is not like he got worse since then.

As for LaFontaine, sorry - but this move reek of appeasement of WGR's whiner line. He is, arguably, the most popular player of the last 20 years. But what makes him qualified to run a hockey department and/or pick a GM? He told Pegula that he is not qualified to be a GM - but he is qualified to above a GM? That makes no sense. Certainly he is a class act. And he was a great player. And great in the community. But when I hear that Pegula was talking to him about concussions and then decided that he should be running the hockey department based on that conversation I really have to scratch my head. It is frightening.

And Nolan? Jesus. This guy was a 500 coach when he was here last time. His teams won one playoff series - in 7 games as a #2 seed over a #7 seed, due in large part to playing against Ron Tugnutt. The year after he was gone the team improved and went to the ECF and the next year were in the SCF. Fact is - Ted Nolan is not that good of a coach. Better than Rolston? Sure. But still not very good. He is, perhaps, the most overrated person in Buffalo sports history (close battle with Flutie). Fans get all excited because his team had the "Hardest working team" moniker. First off, there are plenty of teams that work hard. Secondly, I would have the best team and the best coached team. Add in that he seems excited to John Scott play Friday and I think it is clear what this guy is - a throwback to thug hockey.

I just wish that there was something that resembled a real plan to replace them and not just an enamored, star struck owner making googly eyes at two former Sabres guys that are charismatic as hell with nothing to back it all up in the roles they are in.
Can u give the horde a few days to revel in their "ding dong... the witch is dead" merriment before u hit them with reality?

thats all us buffalo sports fans have anymore anyways. Take that away... and well... the parking lot becomes pavement and not hallowed ground.

Dr. Lecter
11-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Can u give the horde a few days to revel in their "ding dong... the witch is dead" merriment before u hit them with reality?

thats all us buffalo sports fans have anymore anyways. Take that away... and well... the parking lot becomes pavement and not hallowed ground.

Sorry.

My life sucks. I don't want anybody else to be happy. So screw it. Reality is a *****.

coastal
11-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Sorry.

My life sucks. I don't want anybody else to be happy. So screw it. Reality is a *****.
Gee... can hardly wait to see u.

Skooby
11-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Anything that replaces Darcy is better.

coastal
11-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Is this a Marv Levy type hire?

JATMtheJATM
11-14-2013, 09:55 AM
larsson, grigo, and zad appear to be extra players for tomorrow. likely scratches.

welp, i dont know what the **** is up with these coaches. they must know something i dont.

trapezeus
11-14-2013, 11:20 AM
the youngest of the sabres youth should not be playing today. they can suck without them. but they should get comfortable being dominant in the AHL for a season or two. i think the harsh reality of being a superstar at their level and then a 3rd winger is hard for the ego and ends up being overload.

Let them see a pro season by riding buses and going to crap town to crap town earning their way. then have them come up with confidence. i am fine with these guys playing in the AHL. i don't want them ruined before their time to shine comes.

bring up some AHL guys who have been there for a while, see what nolan can motivate out of them. if it works, fine. if not, we end up where we belong at the bottom. then we can get a guy who legitimately could start as a top pick.

Dr. Lecter
11-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Most of the youngest guys can't go to the AHL. Grigorenko can't. Zadarov can't. Risto can. Larsson has already been there (but could go back). Girgensons should be in Buffalo.

Skooby
11-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Most of the youngest guys can't go to the AHL. Grigorenko can't. Zadarov can't. Risto can. Larsson has already been there (but could go back). Girgensons should be in Buffalo.
I was all for keeping Grigorenko up but looking back now I regret that decision.

JATMtheJATM
11-14-2013, 11:39 AM
they have to now. otherwise they burn a year of his contract.

chernobylwraiths
11-14-2013, 11:40 AM

I agree that the timing is questionable, but no matter the timing, it needed to be done, and sooner was better than later. Now the whole "tear the team apart and let is suck" is conjecture, but I won't go off on it as it seems to be pretty logical and possibly somewhat accurate. But do you think maybe that while sucking they didn't expect the team to show little to no effort? Or maybe on who is still here? Maybe upper management wondered why Leino was still here, or Stafford. Hell, they traded their best player and had to eat some of his salary, but they couldn't do the same for Leino or Stafford?

LaFontaine is a very popular guy, not only in Buffalo, but in all of the NHL. Maybe it is a bit of window dressing, but you can't just assume that he knows nothing about hockey or what a good coach or GM are made of.

Now, you and I totally disagree on Nolan in many ways. Nolan took a team that just traded away Mogilny and let Hawerchuk go, that is a huge piece of offensive talent and only had LaFontaine left. Nolan's job was to take a bunch of cast offs, older players on the decline, and very young players and mold them into a team that played hard for each other. It was one of the most exciting teams Buffalo has had, not because they won, but because they played hard and made the other teams work for their wins (something that has been sorely lacking for many years). Fundamentals are not his strong point, but he get's the team to play with passion. I will give you that team that won their division wasn't all that great his next season, but they were a tough team to play against and won a first round series WITHOUT HASEK! So don't bring that Ron Tugnutt crap into it. Hasek baled on the team and basically forced Nolan out of a job. Nolan's top three scorers that year were Derek PLante, Brian Holzinger and Donald Audette. Just look at the makeup of that team and tell me how that team even made the playoffs. It took Ruff four years to better Nolan's point total and that was the only time he did it until after the lockout. I liked Lindy, but it wasn't like he was that much better of a coach. It takes time for a team to learn how to win and Nolan only had two years of coaching before he was let go.

Let's do what we always do as fans, sit back and watch and see what happens. If Nolan can get these guys to play with a little passion (like Girgensens) then so much the better.

Lastly, let's cut the crap with how John Scott is ruining hockey. He plays little, sure, but so do many fourth line guys. Fourth line guys are all grinders and energy guys anyway. personally, I would like to see the put Scott in front of the net if they can actually get control of the puck and see what havoc he can cause there.

Historian
11-14-2013, 12:50 PM
I honestly don't think they figured the team would be a laughingstock this year....but they were.

Something had to be done, Lecter.

Call it starstruck if you want, but Pat weilds a lot of clout in this league. He still may bring in a Dudley...or a Craig Ramsay.

My belief is that the ship gets righted almost immediately.

Fix Myer's game, fix Ennis' game, and a few others, and you're back in the hunt.

SkateZilla
11-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Im waiting for him to announce they Re-Signed Andrew Peters Pending him passing a Physical....

JATMtheJATM
11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
I honestly don't think they figured the team would be a laughingstock this year....but they were.

Something had to be done, Lecter.

Call it starstruck if you want, but Pat weilds a lot of clout in this league. He still may bring in a Dudley...or a Craig Ramsay.

My belief is that the ship gets righted almost immediately.

Fix Myer's game, fix Ennis' game, and a few others, and you're back in the hunt.

i think ive been paying too much attention to mcdavid and reinhart, because i am hell bent on at least the latter being in buffalo next year. they wont be in the hunt. they will still suck. but if they can get myers to keep moving forward, and ennis starts to pick up his play, this team will at least be better.

Typ0
11-14-2013, 02:35 PM
The youth was being plagued with a bad attitude. Something had to be done to get them on track. Maybe this will work...maybe it won't but it's something to make a statement. You can't go into a season expecting to build experience and instead having them go backwards. They didn't have to win but they needed to take pride in the work they were doing and they weren't. Pegula knew Regier had a bad name in the league and veteran players who would be needed at some point were not going to play for him...that might not have even been Regier's fault but it was the circumstance. With the kids flailing and a change looming why not make it now? It was a no brainer ...

I don't think this is anything like the Levy hire either...horrible comparison. Even if LaFontainne knows nothing about the job I bet he's a bundle of energy to learn it and be effective. That is so different than a clueless retired guy on his last leg.

JATMtheJATM
11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
report: oilers willing to move their 2014 1st for players to improve current roster. darcy, er.... patty la la! get on it!

Downinfloflo
11-14-2013, 04:57 PM
report: oilers willing to move their 2014 1st for players to improve current roster. darcy, er.... patty la la! get on it!

And who would that be on the Sabres?

Skooby
11-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Hopefully Miller.

JATMtheJATM
11-14-2013, 06:22 PM

package maybe. moulson + sabres second rounder (could be 30th)

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully Miller.

for the last time, miller wont accept a trade to the oilers. also, the oilers dont have room for miller. they just signed bryzgalov

Downinfloflo
11-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Oilers do not need a forward, They need Defense.

Moulson is not worth a top 3 pick anyway...You don't trade away a top 3 pick maybe even 1st overall for a UFA...When your team is in rebuild mode.

JATMtheJATM
11-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Oilers do not need a forward, They need Defense.

Moulson is not worth a top 3 pick anyway...You don't trade away a top 3 pick maybe even 1st overall for a UFA...When your team is in rebuild mode.

thats the thing though. normally, id agree. but mactavish is apparently entertaining offer for that pick for established players that can help them now. he didnt specify. im sure moulson isnt worth the first, but perhaps the second (or maybe islanders first) could do it. more likely, its going to have to a younger star player, or have potential plus can be an asset right now. and maybe, just maybe, thats where myers potential comes in?

i get what you are saying, but what you are saying is the opposite of the mactavishs comments.

i think the oilers are much better then their record indicates. i think mactavish feels like a player or two can get them playing better. i dont think they have any desire to be stuck in the running for the first overall pick.

Rockstar
11-14-2013, 08:23 PM
It's real visceral for me. Much of it based on rumor and innuendo. Probably not very rational. While he was a Sabre, I was able to look past the repeat DUI's for which he got a slap on the wrist. I was able to forgive him for walking out on the team in the '97 playoffs after he carried them to the finals in '99. I was able to chalk up his erratic behavior, including the assault on Jim Kelley, to his being another crazy goalie.

But it was more than that. Hasek was bigger than anyone on the Sabres. He was by far their best player. And he was bigger than Nolan who was still virtually unknown before 1997. He was bigger than Ruff after Nolan and Darcy too. And the problem with Hasek is he didn't grow into the role of a leader. He became a prima donna. Soon he was too big for Buffalo. He brushed this city off him faster than you could say "Da***jushappened?"

Lastly, I hate him for something he had nothing to do with really. I hate him because he was traded for that POS Kozlov and a pick that after bouncing around for a while became Danny Paille. Yes I hate Paille too for the utter gall of getting traded by the Sabres and landing on a team that had a direction and won a few championships.

I am full of hate. :-)

I am so with you on all of this. The only devils advocate point I can make is that I truly believe Regier not signing Peca to a contract (not [paying him what he was worth) and letting him walk is when Hasek gave up on this organization.

Rockstar
11-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Where is the GROAN button....

Rockstar
11-14-2013, 09:05 PM
I cannot begin to express how excited I am about this. God in Heaven know that so many of us hard core fans were suffering to the point of losing faith. Ok, getting past that display of emotional diatribe.
</SPAN>
Regier. Go **** yourself. Good riddance.
:rock:</SPAN>
Ron Rolston. You should have turned down the job here and stayed in Rochester</SPAN>

I have read numerous takes on this here in the Zone and couldn’t help but to notice a feel of hesitation on many people’s part. There is an attitude that this is a publicity move. I couldn’t disagree more. This is not the Buffalo Bills organization who I believe (unfortunately) largely look at their team as a business and don’t appreciate the fans as much as they should. This is NOT a Marv Levy hire.
</SPAN>
Pat LaFontaine is not simply a lovable figure from our past, he is a figure respected in the NHL who can and will change the perception of this organization. </SPAN>

Free agents do not look kindly on Buffalo and Darcy Regier is a big reason for that. Patty La is the kind of ambassador that changes our position in the league. </SPAN>

Not only is he a respected Hall of Famer who has the monetary backing of a Billionaire, but is one of the most genuine and earnest people I have ever met in my life. When you see Patty and you approach him he looks at you and immediately extends his hand with a smile. </SPAN>:respect:

The guy has a glow around him, people are drawn to him and respect him, this is exactly the guy we want running the hockey operations.
</SPAN>
I heard an argument that why would we want a guy who turned down the GM position knowing he wasn’t qualified for the job to hire the GM? HOLY CRAP!! Why wouldn’t you want this guy to hire the GM! He is honest, knows his limitations, has endless connections in the hockey world and is skilled in hockey knowledge.
</SPAN>
First of all this is the perfect business model for your team, two Presidents. Keep Black completely out of any hockey decisions unlike the douche bag Larry Quinn era. Let Black focus on his specialty, marketing and promotions.
</SPAN>
As a business major I can tell you that many of the world’s top corporate managers are not the best or even proficient in doing the jobs of their middle and operational management, and that isn’t their job, their job is to guide the organization within the confines of the company’s mission statement. </SPAN>
Our mission statement is to become a desirable place for players to play, to win a Stanly Cup and to respect the fans desires which Pegula has proven time and time again to care about.
</SPAN>
What better man than Pat LaFontaine who is an example of humanity gone right and the personification of respectable to steer this corporation into the future?:patriot:</SPAN>

Downinfloflo
11-14-2013, 09:10 PM
thats the thing though. normally, id agree. but mactavish is apparently entertaining offer for that pick for established players that can help them now. he didnt specify. im sure moulson isnt worth the first, but perhaps the second (or maybe islanders first) could do it. more likely, its going to have to a younger star player, or have potential plus can be an asset right now. and maybe, just maybe, thats where myers potential comes in?

i get what you are saying, but what you are saying is the opposite of the mactavishs comments.

i think the oilers are much better then their record indicates. i think mactavish feels like a player or two can get them playing better. i dont think they have any desire to be stuck in the running for the first overall pick.

Lot's of smoke around Yakupov.....

I think any deal between Edmonton and Buffalo would have to include one of Buffalo's young D-men...

JATMtheJATM
11-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Lot's of smoke around Yakupov.....

I think any deal between Edmonton and Buffalo would have to include one of Buffalo's young D-men...

i wouldnt mind moving pysyk for the pick. i like pysyk, but i dont think he has as high a ceiling as some of the others. and if they get that pick, they could ekblad and reinhart!

i wouldnt mind taking yakupov on either, but not that a high price, which is unlikely they would settle for anything but a top return. yakupov has talent. he just has no desire to play the game right.

Dr. Lecter
11-15-2013, 06:22 AM
I agree that the timing is questionable, but no matter the timing, it needed to be done, and sooner was better than later. Now the whole "tear the team apart and let is suck" is conjecture, but I won't go off on it as it seems to be pretty logical and possibly somewhat accurate. But do you think maybe that while sucking they didn't expect the team to show little to no effort? Or maybe on who is still here? Maybe upper management wondered why Leino was still here, or Stafford. Hell, they traded their best player and had to eat some of his salary, but they couldn't do the same for Leino or Stafford?

Based on what Black has said on his show, it was the direction given Reiger. As for Leino and Stafford, what are they worth? Building up 5th round draft picks is not what they are trying to do. Nobody else wants those guys.

LaFontaine is a very popular guy, not only in Buffalo, but in all of the NHL. Maybe it is a bit of window dressing, but you can't just assume that he knows nothing about hockey or what a good coach or GM are made of.
And nobody should assume he does.

Now, you and I totally disagree on Nolan in many ways. Nolan took a team that just traded away Mogilny and let Hawerchuk go, that is a huge piece of offensive talent and only had LaFontaine left. Nolan's job was to take a bunch of cast offs, older players on the decline, and very young players and mold them into a team that played hard for each other. It was one of the most exciting teams Buffalo has had, not because they won, but because they played hard and made the other teams work for their wins (something that has been sorely lacking for many years). Fundamentals are not his strong point, but he get's the team to play with passion. I will give you that team that won their division wasn't all that great his next season, but they were a tough team to play against and won a first round series WITHOUT HASEK! So don't bring that Ron Tugnutt crap into it. Hasek baled on the team and basically forced Nolan out of a job. Nolan's top three scorers that year were Derek PLante, Brian Holzinger and Donald Audette. Just look at the makeup of that team and tell me how that team even made the playoffs. It took Ruff four years to better Nolan's point total and that was the only time he did it until after the lockout. I liked Lindy, but it wasn't like he was that much better of a coach. It takes time for a team to learn how to win and Nolan only had two years of coaching before he was let go.

Let's do what we always do as fans, sit back and watch and see what happens. If Nolan can get these guys to play with a little passion (like Girgensens) then so much the better.

Yes his teams worked hard. Good for him. I never said otherwise.

As for the point total that is somewhat irrelevant. Lindy also took essentially the same team much further in the playoffs. But if you do want to play that points game, Ruff did not have a season worse than Nolan's first season until 2002-2003.

And the Tugnutt point goes directly to the winning goal which never should have gone in.

My main thing with Nolan is that he is revered as some kind of hockey god by many people and he simply was an average at best coach here. But people love him because this area prefers blue collar guys to talented guys. They think that the Sabres need more Scott's, Kaleta's and McCormick's than Vanek's, Pominville's and Hodgson's.

Lastly, let's cut the crap with how John Scott is ruining hockey. He plays little, sure, but so do many fourth line guys. Fourth line guys are all grinders and energy guys anyway. personally, I would like to see the put Scott in front of the net if they can actually get control of the puck and see what havoc he can cause there.

I don't think he is ruining hockey, but he has no talent at all. Even for his role he is incredibly bad. Even guys like Colton Orr and Parros can, on occasion, screw up and get a goal or an assist. And 4th line guys can fill the role of grinders. A 4th line of guys like Kaleta is fine. But what does Scott bring? He does not even skate well enough to bring "energy" to the team

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Based on what Black has said on his show, it was the direction given Reiger. As for Leino and Stafford, what are they worth? Building up 5th round draft picks is not what they are trying to do. Nobody else wants those guys.

And nobody should assume he does.

Yes his teams worked hard. Good for him. I never said otherwise.

As for the point total that is somewhat irrelevant. Lindy also took essentially the same team much further in the playoffs. But if you do want to play that points game, Ruff did not have a season worse than Nolan's first season until 2002-2003.

And the Tugnutt point goes directly to the winning goal which never should have gone in.

My main thing with Nolan is that he is revered as some kind of hockey god by many people and he simply was an average at best coach here. But people love him because this area prefers blue collar guys to talented guys. They think that the Sabres need more Scott's, Kaleta's and McCormick's than Vanek's, Pominville's and Hodgson's.

I don't think he is ruining hockey, but he has no talent at all. Even for his role he is incredibly bad. Even guys like Colton Orr and Parros can, on occasion, screw up and get a goal or an assist. And 4th line guys can fill the role of grinders. A 4th line of guys like Kaleta is fine. But what does Scott bring? He does not even skate well enough to bring "energy" to the team

Who cares what they are worth now, the point was, why weren't they bought out? Leino was good enough to garner the contract only 2 years ago, but he isn't worth anything now? Stafford is still reletively young. Your "nobody wants those guys" is made up blogosphere crap. Nobody knows that, and I'm sure someone wouldn't mind taking a flier on a guy who can score 20 goals and is still relatively young.

I'm trying to be optimistic.

What is the main problem with this team since the last to ECF teams? They don't work hard enough, or seemingly at all.

My point was that Nolan took a team of very young players and castoffs and turned them into a team that worked well together. He did this in two years, who's to say that HE couldn't have coached the team farther into the playoffs in the next few years? So now you are blaming him for not winning a Stanley Cup in only two years?! I get it, you've been saying for years that the Nolan era is done and people have to stop whining about it.

There are plenty of guys with his level of talent, but at 5 minutes a game, he's not going to get many chances. Plus, it just seemed like the line had no direction. Maybe Rolston just told them to go out and hit people? Who knows?

Skooby
11-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Nolan should be motivated.

coastal
11-15-2013, 10:51 AM
i wouldnt mind moving pysyk for the pick. i like pysyk, but i dont think he has as high a ceiling as some of the others. and if they get that pick, they could ekblad and reinhart!

i wouldnt mind taking yakupov on either, but not that a high price, which is unlikely they would settle for anything but a top return. yakupov has talent. he just has no desire to play the game right.
Moving Pysyk would be monumentally stupid.

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2013, 11:20 AM

they have loads of talented, young dmen. if the sabres were to try to move up and had to get part with a young dman, id choose pysyk over risto or zad. i dont feel his ceiling is as high as those two.

Dr. Lecter
11-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Depends on the return.

Their defense in 5 years could look like this:

1. Risto
2. Zadarov
3. McCabe
4. Myers (yes he needs to get his head on straight)
5. Erhoff
6. McNabb
7. Pysyk
8. Ruhwedal
9. Gauthier-Leduc

IF they can improve draft position or get a good your forward, go for it.

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2013, 11:35 AM
i think pysyk will be higher then mcabb, but mcnabb has lots of talent. i see pysyk as a good, smart player who would be an asset on many teams. but, like you said, if you can move up, and hes the price, you do it.

lets say the sabres trade moulson and pysyk to the oilers. lets just pretend. and the oilers send back their first. oilers still suck, because they are the oilers. sabres get the 1-2 picks of the draft (its happened before, vancouver got the 2-3 picks) and they draft ekblad and reinhart. suddenly, that defense looks dramatically different. thats a pipe dream, i know. but if the sabres have to make a deal and trade some D to move up, pysyk is the guy i would part with.

and im with lecter, mccabe is going to be good.

Dr. Lecter
11-15-2013, 11:36 AM
That list was not necessarily in order - just a list as the names popped into my 2 brain cells.

And yes - we both love McCabe. With me, that means he is cursed.

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2013, 11:45 AM

I don't know about monumentally, but he seems like a pretty steady guy. You need guys like that

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2013, 11:58 AM
That list was not necessarily in order - just a list as the names popped into my 2 brain cells.

And yes - we both love McCabe. With me, that means he is cursed.

well, start hating him! i like justin kea alot. im anxious to see him in rochester next year, maybe this year if/when saginaw gets bounced.

trapezeus
11-15-2013, 01:55 PM
ruff got hasek that essentially worked his way up into his prime. hasek was a weird guy. He struck me as a guy who worked best alone. if he didn't like the coaching, he didn't try. if he was left alone to be himself, he would play well.

not that it is a unique trait for a goalie, but hasek was at a far end.

i think this is a young team who had veterans who were burned out around them. then they had no one to guide them and a coach who seemed to be in over his head and a GM tasked with growing the team through the draft.

That tells young guys to take it easy. no one expects much from you.

now that they get a coach who demands better and he isn't married to any one of them, they can't be living off of former players malaise.

Rockstar
11-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Depends on the return.

1. Risto
2. Zadarov
3. McCabe
5. Erhoff
6. McNabb
7. Pysyk
8. Ruhwedal
9. Gauthier-Leduc

IF they can improve draft position or get a good your forward, go for it.

I'm happy to see you are still holding out hope for Myers. I am also. I'm not excited about him anymore but I'm not giving up on him either.

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm happy to see you are still holding out hope for Myers. I am also. I'm not excited about him anymore but I'm not giving up on him either.

i still have some hope, because he has talent and he has played at a high level before. and also, i think his game is coming along, slowly but surely. i mean, after last year, he had nowhere to go but up. thankfully, he doesnt turn the puck over every shift anymore.

but im not as optimistic as i was. i dont think hes a future franchise dman anymore.

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't know about monumentally, but he seems like a pretty steady guy. You need guys like that

exactly. i want him around. but if edmonton is seriously offering their pick, and it took pysyk to get it, you have to make that move.

im not concerned about this, but ive heard pysyk doesnt live hockey. he plays, and once he leaves the rink, he doesnt think about it. he doesnt watch hockey, he doesnt follow hockey. its kind of refreshing, but theres another guy on the sabres who takes a beating for being the same way: drew stafford.

coastal
11-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Depends on the return.

1. Risto
2. Zadarov
3. McCabe
5. Erhoff
6. McNabb
7. Pysyk
8. Ruhwedal
9. Gauthier-Leduc

If they can improve draft position or get a good your forward, go for it.
Aside from last two games... dude was even on +/- and aside from Erhoff, their most consistent defensemen.

we literally can't flush all of talent for the "promise" of prospects. We know a lot about him already and it's all only likely to get better.

you DO NOT dump that. Not now.

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Aside from last two games... dude was even on +/- and aside from Erhoff, their most consistent defensemen.

we literally can't flush all of talent for the "promise" of prospects. We know a lot about him already and it's all only likely to get better.

you DO NOT dump that. Not now.

i feel like thats mostly true, unless you can get a return of a top 5 pick, perhaps top 2. outside that, no, i wouldnt move pysyk. hes not flashy, but hes effective.

jimmifli
11-15-2013, 04:37 PM
The advanced stats say he's the second best defenseman on your team this season after Erhoff.

coastal
11-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't know where u get the advanced stats but good to know what I see is supported by "advanced stats".

heres the thing... We need to build the core of a team. That takes top 2 line forwards and top 2 pair defensemen. We don't have many of those right now. Pysyk looks the part and is just getting going.

sure Edmonton's pick is attractive, but dumping a young core player at this point seems counter-productive.

taking a player like Myers who looks to be maybe be the part or at one point may have looked the part... And you package him with a pick to get Edmonton's likely top 5 pick?

that makes sense... That's adding to the core.

jimmifli
11-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I don't know where u get the advanced stats but good to know what I see is supported by "advanced stats".

heres the thing... We need to build the core of a team. That takes top 2 line forwards and top 2 pair defensemen. We don't have many of those right now. Pysyk looks the part and is just getting going.

sure Edmonton's pick is attractive, but dumping a young core player at this point seems counter-productive.

taking a player like Myers who looks to be maybe be the part or at one point may have looked the part... And you package him with a pick to get Edmonton's likely top 5 pick?

http://www.extraskater.com/team/buffalo-sabres/2013

Fenwick is shots generated. FF% a version of Fenwick is like a shots +/- expressed as a percentage, it's generally used as a proxy for possession.

When Erhoff's on the ice, the Sabres get 43.4% of the shots (opponents get 56.6%). When Pysyck's on the ice that falls to 42.9%. So when those guys are on the ice, the Sabres still lose the possession game but they lose it by less than if other players were on the ice.

For comparison, Myers is at 34.7% where as Duncan Keith is at 61.1%.

JATMtheJATM
11-15-2013, 07:43 PM

i agree with this whole heartedly 99% of the time. the only way i trade pysyk is to nab a top pick and use that to nab ekblad, a cornerstone d-man (in my opinion). but i agree, pysyk has been great and i dont expect him to be moved

coastal
11-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Pysyk had a MONSTER game.

Like I said... trading him would be monumentally stupid.

Skooby
11-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Pysyk had a MONSTER game.

Like I said... trading him would be monumentally stupid.

He's huge!!

Dr. Lecter
03-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Ahem.

Downinfloflo
03-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Yes....

Downinfloflo
03-01-2014, 05:34 PM

Where is the GROAN button....

Rockstar owes someone an apology. :boom: