Bills Reach Out to League About Unfair Scheduling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Bills Reach Out to League About Unfair Scheduling.

The Buffalo Bills want a level playing field when it comes to their schedule, and have taken their complaints to the league office. Can EJ Manuel's team weather the storm?

And Rosenthol downgrades the whole thing without even taking a look at the fact this ALWAYS happens.
    Bye Bye Brady...
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Bills Reach Out to League About Unfair Scheduling.

I'm sure scheduling is a matter of discussion at the owner's meetings. I'd say that is the time to complain, but I assume that schedules are difficult things to work out, having to consider time slots, potential viewership, etc.

I suspect the bottom line with scheduling is...the bottom line. Whatever promises to maximize the $ coming into the league is what goes.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• pmoon6
      Legendary Zoner
      • Dec 2002

I'm glad the Bills' brought this up. I thought the same with us playing teams coming off the bye.

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

Grasping at straws.

Put a good team on the field.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

if it's not a big deal, why does it keep happening?

also, its not why we suck, but for teams that miss out on 1 or 2 games to make the playoffs, the fact they have 6 games that are not on equal footing makes a world of difference.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

Anytime a team has 2 weeks to prep it's going to make a difference, that being said, the Steelers did not have two weeks.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
              if it's not a big deal, why does it keep happening?
              Because the NFL is a business first and foremost. BUF hasn't been in the playoffs for years. They just aren't a market draw.

In 2007, CLE went 10 -6. The following season, they had numerous prime time games. Rah, rah Brownies. Turned the corner, 'twas said. And promptly fell on their faces with a 4 - 12 record.

End of those juicy time slots and wide distribution...

Aside: I dislike the Thursday games. Not enough rest and time to heal.
              Last edited by stuckincincy; 11-13-2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft and Dan Snyder can be heard laughing from here.

Comment

• gebobs
                  One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-in-scheduling

And Rosenthol downgrades the whole thing without even taking a look at the fact this ALWAYS happens.
                  He did look at it. Teams coming off the bye have a slight advantage. The Bills are at the short end of the stick this year. It's a quirk of the schedule and indirectly a result of being a crappy team with few primetime games themselves. The Bills will probably finish the year with 5 wins, give or take. Does anyone think these bums would or could do much better?
                  Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• feldspar
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                    Grasping at straws.

Put a good team on the field.
                    NO, they HAD to speak up. This is a real issue.

Last year, 4 of the Bills' opponents in a 5-week span were either coming off their bye week or a Thursday Night game. On top of that, their own bye-week was compromised last year as well. The Bills played the Patriots after their bye-week FOUR YEARS IN A ROW.

SIX games this year against teams getting extra time, three of which are division games...Jets coming off their bye this week. ONE team has this problem 4 times this year, and SIX teams has this problem 3 times. MOST teams have this problem 2 times or fewer, which means 24 teams face this problem AT LEAST ONE-THIRD fewer times than the Bills do this year. Every team save the Falcons have this problem at least HALF as much as the Bills. I could go on, but I won't...enough is enough here.

Somebody had to say something, and it had to be the Bills. The odds of these things happening to one team repeatedly are astronomical. Those fckers should pay extra added attention to this next year, especially when it comes to the Bills, because this is now in the public realm.

Giving other teams more time to prepare, rest, and get healthy THAT often is ridiculous. It's not an excuse, either...it's an issue that needs to be addressed and not happen again.
                    Last edited by feldspar; 11-13-2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                      He did look at it. Teams coming off the bye have a slight advantage. The Bills are at the short end of the stick this year. It's a quirk of the schedule and indirectly a result of being a crappy team with few primetime games themselves. The Bills will probably finish the year with 5 wins, give or take. Does anyone think these bums would or could do much better?
                      So him saying that there's a small advantage means he took a look? Ok. And the league didn't take a look at this team and say "Well, let's see how these other storylines play out, let's put this team as an opponent." It's a billionaire business and you think that's not a possibility? Kudos to the Bills for finally taking a stand.
                      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by feldspar View Post

Last year, 4 of the Bills' opponents in a 5-week span were either coming off their bye week or a Thursday Night game. On top of that, their own bye-week was compromised last year as well. The Bills played the Patriots after their bye-week FOUR YEARS IN A ROW.

SIX games this year against teams getting extra time, three of which are division games...Jets coming off their bye this week. ONE team has this problem 4 times this year, and SIX teams has this problem 3 times. MOST teams have this problem 2 times or fewer, which means 24 teams face this problem AT LEAST ONE-THIRD fewer times than the Bills do this year. Every team save the Falcons have this problem at least HALF as much as the Bills. I could go on, but I won't...enough is enough here.

Somebody had to say something, and it had to be the Bills. The odds of these things happening to one team repeatedly are astronomical. Those fckers should pay extra added attention to this next year, especially when it comes to the Bills, because this is now in the public realm.

Giving other teams more time to prepare, rest, and get healthy THAT often is ridiculous. It's not an excuse, either...it's an issue that needs to be addressed and not happen again.
                        Thank you, thank you, thank you. It doesn't matter what ******* team is on the field, it's an issue. If the Bills are a scapegoat, at least tell the fans so we can move on.
                        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by feldspar View Post

Sorry, I meant that 24 teams face this problem AT LEAST TWO-THIRDS fewer times than the Bills do this year. Every team save the Falcons have this problem at least HALF as much as the Bills.

And, again, this is no anomaly for the Bills either. It has happened repeatedly.

Comment

• Thurmal
                            • Oct 2005

Anyone who thinks stuff like this and officiating is random or completely on the level is naive. Hell, New England having to play the Panthers in Charlotte this week is the first time in a while I can remember them playing a difficult non-division game on the road. And that's because no one thought Carolina would be any good. The big-money teams get preferential treatment; just the way it is.
                            "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                              So him saying that there's a small advantage means he took a look? Ok. And the league didn't take a look at this team and say "Well, let's see how these other storylines play out, let's put this team as an opponent." It's a billionaire business and you think that's not a possibility? Kudos to the Bills for finally taking a stand.
                              The league is probably tired of the Bills' organization not picking up their end of the bargain. In the 90's, the other owners threatened skinflint CIN owner Brown if he didn't clean up his act, fix the lousy field in his free stadium, and pay for a halfway competitive team. It made the newspapers, rare...considering how much the NFL keeps their dealings close to the vest.

When you are on the outs for 13 years, you are a problem child that won't fix things. If I were a CEO of a business and had to suffer for some reason, a division of the business that I couldn't dump, I sure wouldn't go out of my way to kiss your bottom line. All I can do is keep you out of sight of my customer base, and give you as little as possible.
                              Last edited by stuckincincy; 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X