PDA

View Full Version : What are the BIGGEST draft needs?

IAG
11-13-2013, 12:48 PM
I am still rallying around E.J. so QB is not an early option for me.

Athletic TE?
RT?
Pass rusher
FS to replace Byrd
CB...can never have enough

Build the team to match the Pats. Get players that can cover TE's and press the pocket.

Anyways. What do you think?

stuckincincy
11-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Hard to say at this point.

TE's not a bad choice - rule changes have them hard to defend against. Because of their size, they are difficult to jam at the LOS, and like for all receivers nowdays, the gap between decent coverage and a flag is small.

better days
11-13-2013, 01:19 PM
RT & LG are the two biggest needs IMO.

If Byrd can't be resigned before the draft, then Safety is #3.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Offensively I'd say TE is the biggest need.

Defensively, if Byrd stays, OLB. If Byrd goes, FS.

better days
11-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Offensively I'd say TE is the biggest need.

Defensively, if Byrd stays, OLB. If Byrd goes, FS.

So you think Chandler & Gragg are a bigger liability than Legursky & Pears? SEROIUSLY?

Mr. Pink
11-13-2013, 01:32 PM
So you think Chandler & Gragg are a bigger liability than Legursky & Pears? SEROIUSLY?

Young QBs - wherever we go with that next year it'll still be a young QB need a reliable safety valve in a good tight end. Plus in today's game athletic tight ends are littered all over the landscape and make things happen. We don't have one of those on either point.

Pinkerton Security
11-13-2013, 01:32 PM
LG is a pretty big hole, as is RT. I like some of the depth we have on D, I think we need to shore up our OL and give EJ time to pass

EDS
11-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Tough to say at this point. Offensive line certain seems like a need as well as a linebacker with some coverage skills, though I don't think I would look at either in round one unless someone special was available.

If EJ does not show improvement/development in the 5 games after the bye then chances are the team will have a pretty terrible record and potentially be in position to draft a highly rated QB in the 2014 draft. If you were GM, could you pass one of those guys up given that set of circumstances?

The Natrix
11-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Umm let's watch the remaining 6 games and then bump this thread.

EJ could progress nicely, he may regress, or our opinion on him may stay about the same.

The same thing could happen with any other player, unit, coach, etc.

There are just too many variables that will fluctuate during these last six games. Everyone's viewpoint will change to some degree.

So in the meantime, DVR the games and watch them 2 or three times in the same amount of time it would take to watch the game live. Once playoffs are out of the question, the extra entertainment factor of watching the games live is eliminated for me.

better days
11-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Young QBs - wherever we go with that next year it'll still be a young QB need a reliable safety valve in a good tight end. Plus in today's game athletic tight ends are littered all over the landscape and make things happen. We don't have one of those on either point.

AGAIN do you REALLY think Chandler & Gragg are a BIGGER liability than Legursky & Pears?

A QB needs a GOOD run game & also time in the pocket to throw the ball. The OL is MUCH more important than an added weapon at TE.

Especially when the TE now is adequate while the LG & RT are below average.

IAG
11-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Eric Ebron is a star to come at TE. I would like him and Chandler in 2 TE sets with Johnson and Woods on the outside. I think we are close.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Since QB is off the table for this discussion of the 1st round...

Clowney could be in play if we manage only one more victory all year and no way we should pass on him.

If Hundley and Mariota both declare, Clowney could last til the 4th pick.

The Jags are obviously going QB, I'd be shocked if Tampa doesn't go QB and the Vikings are up there who won't pass on a QB.

It won't surprise me if we end up around 5-11, picking 8th and selecting Clinton-Dix to replace Byrd.

better days
11-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Since QB is off the table for this discussion of the 1st round...

Clowney could be in play if we manage only one more victory all year and no way we should pass on him.

If Hundley and Mariota both declare, Clowney could last til the 4th pick.

The Jags are obviously going QB, I'd be shocked if Tampa doesn't go QB and the Vikings are up there who won't pass on a QB.

It won't surprise me if we end up around 5-11, picking 8th and selecting Clinton-Dix to replace Byrd.

Glennon has played pretty well so far this year & shows promise. IF he continues to improve as the year goes on, it would not surprise me if the Bucs stick with him.

But I think the Bucs need to win out for Schiano to save his job so a new HC/GM may want to draft a QB.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2013, 01:55 PM
AGAIN do you REALLY think Chandler & Gragg are a BIGGER liability than Legursky & Pears?

A QB needs a GOOD run game & also time in the pocket to throw the ball. The OL is MUCH more important than an added weapon at TE.

It's a question of building for the future. It does depend on where we select because we could be bad enough to have Clowney, Matthews and Lewan on the board. If we get to 5-11 however all 3 will be gone and then you're gonna take the 3rd rated Tackle just because you need a Tackle? Or will you overdraft a Guard just because you need one?

This is the Bills so they'll find a way to pick up a couple of meaningless victories to take the three aforementioned players off the board when it's selection time. So you get a choice between Mosley, Mack, Ebron, Dix and Cyril Richardson who may be a better guard than tackle at the NFL level.

You're left with 3rd or 4th ranked OLB, 1st TE, 1st S or 4th T/1st G at around 8-10 overall. Which do you take as all fill needs if Byrd is gone?

better days
11-13-2013, 02:06 PM
It's a question of building for the future. It does depend on where we select because we could be bad enough to have Clowney, Matthews and Lewan on the board. If we get to 5-11 however all 3 will be gone and then you're gonna take the 3rd rated Tackle just because you need a Tackle? Or will you overdraft a Guard just because you need one?

This is the Bills so they'll find a way to pick up a couple of meaningless victories to take the three aforementioned players off the board when it's selection time. So you get a choice between Mosley, Mack, Ebron, Dix and Cyril Richardson who may be a better guard than tackle at the NFL level.

You're left with 3rd or 4th ranked OLB, 1st TE, 1st S or 4th T/1st G at around 8-10 overall. Which do you take as all fill needs if Byrd is gone?

IMO both the DL & OL are IMPORTANT to winning. The Bills have a GOOD DL. They need to fix the OL & everyone on the offense will look that much better because of GOOD OL play.

I don't care where the so called "experts" have players slotted. I am not saying a RT or LG needs to be taken in the first rnd, but I am saying both are bigger needs than TE.

If the next Tony Gonzalez is there to be had, sure draft him in the first rnd. BUT unless he is the next Tony Gonzalez or Gronk, I would not draft a TE in the first rnd.

stuckincincy
11-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Sure. What makes you think this outfit cares about their OL? Play the percentages.

Do note that I stated it's hard to say at this point...included in my original post - not your edit of same.

jimmifli
11-13-2013, 02:16 PM
LG is a pretty big hole, as is RT. I like some of the depth we have on D, I think we need to shore up our OL and give EJ time to pass
I'd just go with best OL available. If that's a LT, we can kick Cordy inside or over to RT. If it's a G, great. If that's a C, move Wood back to LG. Our current line has a lot of flexibility so we might as well make use of it. Draft the best 300 pounder and shuffle the line to get the most talent on the field.

better days
11-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Sure. What makes you think this outfit cares about their OL? Play the percentages.

Do note that I stated it's hard to say at this point...included in my original post - not your edit of same.

My edit of the same? I don't know what you are talking about.

And I thought I was discussing this with Mr Pink. Are you & he one & the same?

Mr. Pink
11-13-2013, 02:22 PM
My edit of the same? I don't know what you are talking about.

And I thought I was discussing this with Mr Pink. Are you & he one & the same?

As far as I know I don't suffer from split personality disorder.

I just think you get more of an impact guy in round 1 who also fills a need and then you go out and draft the best tackle or guard in round 2. I'd think we look a lot better overall with say Ebron and Cameron Erving FSU than Richardson and Lamarcus Joyner FSU.

better days
11-13-2013, 02:33 PM
As far as I know I don't suffer from split personality disorder.

I just think you get more of an impact guy in round 1 who also fills a need and then you go out and draft the best tackle or guard in round 2. I'd think we look a lot better overall with say Ebron and Cameron Erving FSU than Richardson and Lamarcus Joyner FSU.

Well, it is a pretty big split between Cleveland & Cincinnati. Like I said if an IMPACT player is there, I would be fine with him being drafted in the first, but I would not draft just an above average TE in the first rnd.

He would need to be Gronk/Gonzalez good.

Uncle Jesse
11-13-2013, 03:00 PM
LG
TE
RT
LBs
CB

We need some help on the offensive line, and a TE badly. Depth for the defense too at LB and CB.

Night Train
11-13-2013, 06:04 PM
This is just me but I still think the O takes time to grow while the D keeps you in games and wins many. See KC and Carolina.

I want Kiko kicked outside to OLB and a bigger MLB. In addition, a big clogger next to Dareus inside. Bills are easy to run on between the tackles right now. You stop the run first and build the rest after.

paladin warrior
11-13-2013, 06:16 PM
1st is biggest need is LG
2nd DE
3rd FS
4th T.E
5th OLB
6th RT
7th OG

Mike
11-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Only the Bills can one of the best lines in 2012 and turn it into one of the worst lines of 2013.

Now we can all see that spending money on a G would have been worth it. Instead we create another hole, only to try and fill it with a top pick in the draft so we can once again loose a top player when their contract expires… all in the name of Saving $$$.

X-Era
11-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Actually it's tough IMO. I can only nail down one major hole... LG.

Outside of that we have experienced and fairly solid players in starting roles.

Yes, QB is still a question mark but teams draft a guy high and then give him plenty of games to make his cause. Just the way it is. It could still be a big hole but we won't now until the full eval is done and that's at least after one full year. So it's not a legit hole at this point.

I feel like it looks like this:

Major hole:
LG

OK but could use an upgrade:
OLB
3rd WR
CB
Receiving TE
RT- I'm on the fence. Pears is not as bad as many think and Hairston was a very good prospect prior to injury.

Based on possible UFA losses:
DT (Carrington)
TE (Chandler)
S (Byrd)

A lot of directions to go. I like to look at what our needs are and whats the best value at our likely pick (top 15)...

That's why I like the following in best value at a need spot....

1) Khalil Mack
2) Marqise Lee
3) Sammy Watkins
4) Jake Mathews
5) Cyrus Kuandjiou- as a LG
6) Eric Ebron
7) Austin Seferian-Jenkins

IAG
11-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Buffalo needs to spurge into the 2nd tier of FA to supplement the draft. The Bills can make a run next year.

tomz
11-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Actually it's tough IMO. I can only nail down one major hole... LG.

Outside of that we have experienced and fairly solid players in starting roles.

Yes, QB is still a question mark but teams draft a guy high and then give him plenty of games to make his cause. Just the way it is. It could still be a big hole but we won't now until the full eval is done and that's at least after one full year. So it's not a legit hole at this point.

I feel like it looks like this:

Major hole:
LG

OK but could use an upgrade:
OLB
3rd WR
CB
Receiving TE
RT- I'm on the fence. Pears is not as bad as many think and Hairston was a very good prospect prior to injury.

Based on possible UFA losses:
DT (Carrington)
TE (Chandler)
S (Byrd)

A lot of directions to go. I like to look at what our needs are and whats the best value at our likely pick (top 15)...

That's why I like the following in best value at a need spot....

1) Khalil Mack
2) Marqise Lee
3) Sammy Watkins
4) Jake Mathews
5) Cyrus Kuandjiou- as a LG
6) Eric Ebron
7) Austin Seferian-Jenkins

This seems pretty reasonable. I would suggest that we go elite athlete in round 1 (Mack, another elite OLB, elite DT, trade up for Clowney or perhaps the big receiver from Texas A&M) or trade down and go tight end;

Round 2: Guard or OLB if they did not do that in round one--I think OLB is a top priority; or run-stuffing DT
Round 3: Guard, right tackle, center
Round 3a (supplemental for Levitre): Whatever they do not have from the first 3 picks
Round 4: Big running back--Jackson is not getting younger and they really need someone to pound the rock

Mahdi
11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
This is just me but I still think the O takes time to grow while the D keeps you in games and wins many. See KC and Carolina.

I want Kiko kicked outside to OLB and a bigger MLB. In addition, a big clogger next to Dareus inside. Bills are easy to run on between the tackles right now. You stop the run first and build the rest after.

Kiko is too valuable in the middle. He is smart and takes away a lot of the middle passing game. Putting him on the outside means we lose his instincts in the middle.

better days
11-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Kiko is too valuable in the middle. He is smart and takes away a lot of the middle passing game. Putting him on the outside means we lose his instincts in the middle.

And Kiko has the speed to cover sideline to sideline from the middle. It would be a waste of his ability to limit him to one side of the field.

I think the Bills could use another bigger MLB to play along side him in the 3-4.

Jry44
11-14-2013, 09:14 AM

I do. A TE is the best thing for a young QB and Chandler has shown to be wildly inconsistent and isn't very athletic. You can find quality guards in the 2nd and 3rd round. Pears hasn't been terrible, though an upgrade is needed. This offense is in desperate need of a red zone threat at either the TE position or with a bigger WR. The lack of either is a huge reason as to why our red zone offense is so terrible. Where is this team in the standings right now if we had a better red zone offense?

Jry44
11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Only the Bills can one of the best lines in 2012 and turn it into one of the worst lines of 2013.

Now we can all see that spending money on a G would have been worth it. Instead we create another hole, only to try and fill it with a top pick in the draft so we can once again loose a top player when their contract expires… all in the name of Saving $$$.

The line hasn't been terrible at all. Aside from last week when we were seeing a pissed off Steelers defense, we have been able to run all over everyone at will. And we've done so against some pretty defensive lines ( Carolina, The Jets, KC). Could we use an upgrade at LG or at RT? Sure. As far as sacks go, youth and inexperience at the QB position along with not having a bigger athletic target in the passing game have also contributed to the sack number because of the QB having to hold onto the ball.

better days
11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
I do. A TE is the best thing for a young QB and Chandler has shown to be wildly inconsistent and isn't very athletic. You can find quality guards in the 2nd and 3rd round. Pears hasn't been terrible, though an upgrade is desperately needed. This offense is in desperate need of a redzone threat at either the TE position or with a bigger WR. The lack of eithr is a huge reason as to why our redzone offense is so terrible. Where is this team in the standings right now if we had a better redsone offense?

Chandler would be a GOOD red zone threat.....................if Hackett had him on the field in the red zone.

You can't make plays from the bench.

And Gragg has shown athleticism although he dropped a ball against the Steelers.

Mahdi
11-14-2013, 09:20 AM
If we have a shot at a WR like Mike Evans with our first pick that would be ideal. Stevie can get us down the field, a WR like Evans can get us over the top in redzone TD production.

Jry44
11-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Chandler would be a GOOD red zone threat.....................if Hackett had him on the field in the red zone.

You can't make plays from the bench.

And you can't make plays if you consistently drop the ball and commit inopportune penalties while in the said red zone.

IAG
11-14-2013, 11:44 AM
2 TE sets next year will make the running game better and allow E.J. to develop properly.