X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IAG
    • Jan 2005

What are the BIGGEST draft needs?

I am still rallying around E.J. so QB is not an early option for me.

Athletic TE?
    RT?
    Pass rusher
    FS to replace Byrd
    CB...can never have enough

Build the team to match the Pats. Get players that can cover TE's and press the pocket.

Anyways. What do you think?
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: What are the BIGGEST draft needs?

Hard to say at this point.

TE's not a bad choice - rule changes have them hard to defend against. Because of their size, they are difficult to jam at the LOS, and like for all receivers nowdays, the gap between decent coverage and a flag is small.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

RT & LG are the two biggest needs IMO.

If Byrd can't be resigned before the draft, then Safety is #3.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

Offensively I'd say TE is the biggest need.

Defensively, if Byrd stays, OLB. If Byrd goes, FS.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
          Offensively I'd say TE is the biggest need.

Defensively, if Byrd stays, OLB. If Byrd goes, FS.
          So you think Chandler & Gragg are a bigger liability than Legursky & Pears? SEROIUSLY?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
            So you think Chandler & Gragg are a bigger liability than Legursky & Pears? SEROIUSLY?
            Young QBs - wherever we go with that next year it'll still be a young QB need a reliable safety valve in a good tight end. Plus in today's game athletic tight ends are littered all over the landscape and make things happen. We don't have one of those on either point.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

LG is a pretty big hole, as is RT. I like some of the depth we have on D, I think we need to shore up our OL and give EJ time to pass

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Tough to say at this point. Offensive line certain seems like a need as well as a linebacker with some coverage skills, though I don't think I would look at either in round one unless someone special was available.

If EJ does not show improvement/development in the 5 games after the bye then chances are the team will have a pretty terrible record and potentially be in position to draft a highly rated QB in the 2014 draft. If you were GM, could you pass one of those guys up given that set of circumstances?

Comment

• The Natrix
                  • Jul 2002

Umm let's watch the remaining 6 games and then bump this thread.

EJ could progress nicely, he may regress, or our opinion on him may stay about the same.

The same thing could happen with any other player, unit, coach, etc.

There are just too many variables that will fluctuate during these last six games. Everyone's viewpoint will change to some degree.

So in the meantime, DVR the games and watch them 2 or three times in the same amount of time it would take to watch the game live. Once playoffs are out of the question, the extra entertainment factor of watching the games live is eliminated for me.
                  Last edited by The Natrix; 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM.

Byrd.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Young QBs - wherever we go with that next year it'll still be a young QB need a reliable safety valve in a good tight end. Plus in today's game athletic tight ends are littered all over the landscape and make things happen. We don't have one of those on either point.
                    AGAIN do you REALLY think Chandler & Gragg are a BIGGER liability than Legursky & Pears?

A QB needs a GOOD run game & also time in the pocket to throw the ball. The OL is MUCH more important than an added weapon at TE.

Especially when the TE now is adequate while the LG & RT are below average.

Comment

• IAG
                      • Jan 2005

Eric Ebron is a star to come at TE. I would like him and Chandler in 2 TE sets with Johnson and Woods on the outside. I think we are close.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Since QB is off the table for this discussion of the 1st round...

Clowney could be in play if we manage only one more victory all year and no way we should pass on him.

If Hundley and Mariota both declare, Clowney could last til the 4th pick.

The Jags are obviously going QB, I'd be shocked if Tampa doesn't go QB and the Vikings are up there who won't pass on a QB.

It won't surprise me if we end up around 5-11, picking 8th and selecting Clinton-Dix to replace Byrd.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Since QB is off the table for this discussion of the 1st round...

Clowney could be in play if we manage only one more victory all year and no way we should pass on him.

If Hundley and Mariota both declare, Clowney could last til the 4th pick.

The Jags are obviously going QB, I'd be shocked if Tampa doesn't go QB and the Vikings are up there who won't pass on a QB.

It won't surprise me if we end up around 5-11, picking 8th and selecting Clinton-Dix to replace Byrd.
                          Glennon has played pretty well so far this year & shows promise. IF he continues to improve as the year goes on, it would not surprise me if the Bucs stick with him.

But I think the Bucs need to win out for Schiano to save his job so a new HC/GM may want to draft a QB.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            AGAIN do you REALLY think Chandler & Gragg are a BIGGER liability than Legursky & Pears?

A QB needs a GOOD run game & also time in the pocket to throw the ball. The OL is MUCH more important than an added weapon at TE.

Especially when the TE now is adequate while the LG & RT are below average.
                            It's a question of building for the future. It does depend on where we select because we could be bad enough to have Clowney, Matthews and Lewan on the board. If we get to 5-11 however all 3 will be gone and then you're gonna take the 3rd rated Tackle just because you need a Tackle? Or will you overdraft a Guard just because you need one?

This is the Bills so they'll find a way to pick up a couple of meaningless victories to take the three aforementioned players off the board when it's selection time. So you get a choice between Mosley, Mack, Ebron, Dix and Cyril Richardson who may be a better guard than tackle at the NFL level.

You're left with 3rd or 4th ranked OLB, 1st TE, 1st S or 4th T/1st G at around 8-10 overall. Which do you take as all fill needs if Byrd is gone?

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

It's a question of building for the future. It does depend on where we select because we could be bad enough to have Clowney, Matthews and Lewan on the board. If we get to 5-11 however all 3 will be gone and then you're gonna take the 3rd rated Tackle just because you need a Tackle? Or will you overdraft a Guard just because you need one?

This is the Bills so they'll find a way to pick up a couple of meaningless victories to take the three aforementioned players off the board when it's selection time. So you get a choice between Mosley, Mack, Ebron, Dix and Cyril Richardson who may be a better guard than tackle at the NFL level.

You're left with 3rd or 4th ranked OLB, 1st TE, 1st S or 4th T/1st G at around 8-10 overall. Which do you take as all fill needs if Byrd is gone?
                              IMO both the DL & OL are IMPORTANT to winning. The Bills have a GOOD DL. They need to fix the OL & everyone on the offense will look that much better because of GOOD OL play.

I don't care where the so called "experts" have players slotted. I am not saying a RT or LG needs to be taken in the first rnd, but I am saying both are bigger needs than TE.

If the next Tony Gonzalez is there to be had, sure draft him in the first rnd. BUT unless he is the next Tony Gonzalez or Gronk, I would not draft a TE in the first rnd.

Comment

Working...
                              X