PDA

View Full Version : Penguins grant permission to LaFontaine to talk to former Sabres player Botterill

DetDannyWilliams
11-14-2013, 03:46 PM
With the report that the Buffalo Sabres have received permission (http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/11/report-pens-to-grant-botterill-permission-to-talk-to-sabres-about-gm-post.html) to talk with Jason Botterill, the current assistant general manager for the Pittsburgh Penguins, here's a brief look at the 37-year old.
Botterill is in his fifth full season as assistant general manager with the Penguins. He was promoted to that position after working two seasons as the directory of hockey administration with the organization, where his primary responsibilities include managing the salary cap and overseeing prospect development.
Botterill played four seasons at Michigan leading the program to an NCAA championship in 1996. He was a first-round draft pick (20th overall) by Dallas in 1994. He played in 88 games in the NHL, including 36 games over the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons in Buffalo. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/11/get-to-know-jason-botterill.html?ref=bcr#more

coastal
11-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Ok... Patty... Nolan... now this guy?

im not saying that any of them aren't qualified but this is starting to feel like a hometown favorites marketing strategy and not a hockey plan.

JATMtheJATM
11-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Ok... Patty... Nolan... now this guy?

im not saying that any of them aren't qualified but this is starting to feel like a hometown favorites marketing strategy and not a hockey plan.

id agree, but botterill is not a former hometown favorite. hes an afterthought at best as a player. but! i hear great things about his ability to be a GM.

ZAZusmc03
11-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm not upset if Buffalo sports teams snatch up up and coming talent away from Pittsburgh teams. I think Whaley was a good move and think Botterill would be a good move too.

Skooby
11-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Drink from the bottle !!!

Downinfloflo
11-24-2013, 09:30 PM
This is going to be the Sabres new GM...

He's only 37, The other top candidates are in their 60's..

Would make zero sense to hire a 60-66 year old GM to lead such a young team.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 10:10 PM
This is going to be the Sabres new GM...

He's only 37, The other top candidates are in their 60's..

Would make zero sense to hire a 60-66 year old GM to lead such a young team.

i feel the same way. i guess botterill really knows his stuff and is thought very highly of.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 10:25 PM
also, for what its worth, ken daniels on FSN detroit feels the sabres will have a new GM by next week. they also were glowing about the youth the sabres have.

Downinfloflo
11-24-2013, 10:34 PM
One problem tho when evaluating assistant GM's, You don’t know which decisions to credit/blame them for.

Hell most GM's don't even have anything to do with the draft.

JATMtheJATM
11-24-2013, 11:37 PM
im not exactly how true that is. i think the GM ultimately makes the decision on picks. at least in the first few rounds.

Downinfloflo
11-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Gordie Clark does it for the Rangers and Kevin Devine does it for the Sabres.

GM's have a bit of input I'm sure, But the scouting department does all the work.

I know Glenn leaves it fully up to Clark.

JATMtheJATM
11-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Gordie Clark does it for the Rangers and Kevin Devine does it for the Sabres.

GM's have a bit of input I'm sure, But the scouting department does all the work.

I know Glenn leaves it fully up to Clark.

oh i definitely feel scouting department does all the work.

Downinfloflo
11-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Gm's focus on the NHL roster and the cap...

JATMtheJATM
11-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Gm's focus on the NHL roster and the cap...

see, i always figured that come the draft, the GMs made the pick based on scouting reports and central scouting rankings (like, we have the 6th pick, and the 3rd rated skater is left. were taking him.)

Downinfloflo
11-25-2013, 12:29 AM
I know if Gordie Clark want's to trade a pick to move up or move down he let's Glenn know and then it's Glenn's job to try and make it happen.

Seem's like the same thing has gone down in Buffalo.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Sabres' Future Begins With Kevin Devine...

It's generally assumed that GM Darcy Regier gets the credit for making the move--in both the trade and the selection--for Tyler Myers.

But that's not the case. Kevin Devine was the impetus behind the drafting of Myers. He and his scouts were locked in on Myers with the Los Angeles Kings as the only team standing in their way and it was up to Regier to get the job done.

"The Kings, eyeing defenseman Colten Teubert, thought they could move down from the No. 12 spot and still get Teubert. They had a deal in place, with an unnamed team, to move down two or three spots but Buffalo, which held the No. 13 pick, was nervous about missing out on its targeted player. The Kings and Sabres talked, and the Kings agreed to trade the No. 12 pick for Buffalo's No. 13 pick, plus a third-round pick in 2009, UNLESS the Kings and Sabres coveted the same player.

How did they resolve this? Each GM got out pen and paper and wrote down which player he wanted to draft. They agreed to make the 12-13 swap if they coveted different players, so that the third, unnamed team wouldn't swoop in and steal Buffalo's targeted player. They showed each other the papers. The Kings wanted Teubert; the Sabres wanted Tyler Myers.

http://buffalosabresnow.blogspot.com/2011/05/sabres-future-begins-with-kevin-devine.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5rS-bP0KPnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JATMtheJATM
11-25-2013, 12:44 AM
colten teubert... hard to believe hes stuck on OKC. cant even make the oilers. who woulda thunk it?

edit: nevermind. hes not even in the AHL. he went overseas.

Downinfloflo
11-25-2013, 12:55 AM
See....That's why I say you have to be real careful building your whole team through the draft.

He was highly thought of by the media and he turned out to be a complete turd.

Half the guys you draft won't ever see the NHL ice.

Downinfloflo
11-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Now you have Pat LaFontaine as the President of Hockey Operations....He will be the GM's boss.

So the new GM will most likely have to get Pats blessings in the moves he makes.(And some Presidents can get to Involved)

Rangers don't go threw that as Glenn is both GM and President.

And will this new front office want to keep Kevine Devine and his staff on?

I would think Pat and who ever he hires as the GM will eventually get their own scouting dept in place.

The changes to the Sabres are much bigger than most fans realize.

<tbody>

</tbody>

JATMtheJATM
11-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Now you have Pat LaFontaine as the President of Hockey Operations....He will be the GM's boss.

So the new GM will most likely have to get Pats blessings in the moves he makes.(And some Presidents can get to Involved)

I would think Pat and who ever he hires as the GM will eventually get their own scouting dept in place.

<tbody>

</tbody>

i think theyll keep devine. the scouting department for the sabres is one of the few bright spots within the organization right now.

WagonCircler
11-25-2013, 02:16 PM
i think theyll keep devine. the scouting department for the sabres is one of the few bright spots within the organization right now.

I'm not being a smartass, but I'd genuinely like to know what evidence there is of the scouting department being a bright spot. I really, really hope that's true, but I just don't see it, after watching so many washouts over the past decade.

JATMtheJATM
11-25-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm not being a smartass, but I'd genuinely like to know what evidence there is of the scouting department being a bright spot. I really, really hope that's true, but I just don't see it, after watching so many washouts over the past decade.

there was an article last year i think that basically said, over the course of regiers tenure, no team has had as many draft picks play as the sabres. the sabres have historically missed on first round picks at the beginning of regiers tenure, and of course, juries still out on a lot of younger kids.

if the sabres dont end up with ekblad or reinhart in this draft, ill freak out.

well, if the pass them up, anyways.

Downinfloflo
11-27-2013, 01:45 PM

<tbody>

</tbody>

President of Hockey Operations Pat LaFontaine announces the team has added Kevin Prendergast to its scouting staff.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=693421&navid=DL%7CBUF%7Chome

JATMtheJATM
11-27-2013, 01:53 PM
President of Hockey Operations Pat LaFontaine announces the team has added Kevin Prendergast to its scouting staff.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=693421&navid=DL%7CBUF%7Chome

but i dont think this means they will gut the department. i think they are beefing it up.

Downinfloflo
11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Now you know Rick Dudley is off the list..

Rick Dudley will be staying on as assistant general manager of the Montreal Canadiens for the forseeable future, as TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports that he has agreed to a more lucrative deal to stay with the franchise.

The move comes after the Canadiens were approached by the Buffalo Sabres for permission to speak to Dudley - a former Sabres player and head coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=437650