PDA

View Full Version : A Magnificent piece of Bills History....

Historian
11-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I wonder if it comes with a six-pack of Genny Cream???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-WALT-PATULSKI-Champion-BUFFALO-BILLS-Sideline-NFL-Football-Jacket-Coat-XL-/271304738761?pt=US_Football&hash=item3f2b05c7c9#ht_2989wt_879

pmoon6
11-15-2013, 11:50 AM
I wonder if it comes with a six-pack of Genny Cream???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-WALT-PATULSKI-Champion-BUFFALO-BILLS-Sideline-NFL-Football-Jacket-Coat-XL-/271304738761?pt=US_Football&hash=item3f2b05c7c9#ht_2989wt_879It would have to come with 50 cases to be worth $180.

OpIv37
11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
There's a liquor store near my house in Baltimore that sells tall boys of Genny Cream Ale. I thought they stopped selling that poison.

I'll drink a 12 Horse but the cream ale is garbage.

jimmifli
11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Mace will buy it. He loves Patulski!

pmoon6
11-15-2013, 11:58 AM
There's a liquor store near my house in Baltimore that sells tall boys of Genny Cream Ale. I thought they stopped selling that poison.

I'll drink a 12 Horse but the cream ale is garbage.I know, but it's like one of those bad traditions when you come back to visit WNY. You have to have at least one and there is no doubt that one of your old friends offers it to you.

OpIv37
11-15-2013, 12:01 PM
My crew generally sticks to Labatt or, if they must go slumming, GL.

pmoon6
11-15-2013, 12:06 PM
My crew generally sticks to Labatt or, if they must go slumming, GL.I can't remember all the crappy beers when I was growing up. Schmitts, Piels, PBR, Genesee, Schlitz, Iron City. Luckily, we came of legal drinking age, could afford the Canadian beers/ales and imported them ourselves.

Mr. Pink
11-15-2013, 12:11 PM
I can't remember all the crappy beers when I was growing up. Schmitts, Piels, PBR, Genesee, Schlitz, Iron City. Luckily, we came of legal drinking age, could afford the Canadian beers/ales and imported them ourselves.

I will always have a fondness for Schmidt's for the stupid fish on the can.

BertSquirtgum
11-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Made back when they made quality products.

BertSquirtgum
11-15-2013, 12:25 PM
I had to put an offer of 20 dollars in.

Historian
11-15-2013, 12:27 PM
My Uncle Ted always drank Carling black label.

My Grandpa had the fridge with the tap on it at the cottage....it always had a quarter keg of Genny Cream in it for when the DP's would come to visit.

pmoon6
11-15-2013, 12:30 PM
My Uncle Ted always drank Carling black label.

My Grandpa had the fridge with the tap on it at the cottage....it always had a quarter keg of Genny Cream in it for when the DP's would come to visit.HaHa. Thanks, I forgot about Carling's

OpIv37
11-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I can't remember all the crappy beers when I was growing up. Schmitts, Piels, PBR, Genesee, Schlitz, Iron City. Luckily, we came of legal drinking age, could afford the Canadian beers/ales and imported them ourselves.
For us, it was Genny/GL, Natural Light/Natural Ice, and the meat market bar that served minors had Golden Anniversary on tap.

We did go over the border quite frequently, where the exchange rate and lower legal drinking age made access to better alcohol possible, but we drank a lot of awful beer when we stayed on the American side.

ParanoidAndroid
11-15-2013, 02:44 PM
I love beer and I brew my own. All those beers above are horrible, but I had fresh Golden Anniversary once and it was actually a decent lager along the lines of Sam Adams.

GvilleBills
11-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Hahaha, man Genny was mothers milk. Fell in love with Labatt Blue and 50.
I remember my Dad and I choking down most of a case of Stroh's tailgating at the Ralph. Skunked out brews. **** was cold, got warm for a week, then cold again and drank.
Soooo happy for $8 beers in the stadium.

JCBills
11-15-2013, 07:22 PM

Genny Cream is oh so smooth.

SpikedLemonade
11-15-2013, 08:15 PM
That e-bay ad reminded me of the one guy who listed an original pair of Zubas that he described as slightly stained from the time he **** himself riding home on his 3 speed bike.

Mace
11-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Mace will buy it. He loves Patulski!

Patulski Patulski Patulski Patulski !

I'm checking my balance, tomorrow I'm going looking for Genny Cream, and maybe the beer too. I might bid.

Patulski Patulski Patulski Patulski.

Say it, you know you want to.

Mace
11-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Hah, I have this cool thing around my neck, gritty tape on my hand, look battle hardened and eat your hearts out because my daughters will graduate from George Washington University and Boston College, I will be beloved in Syracuse, and you NEEEEED repeat my name forever and ever and ever while my kids buy me really great lunches.

Night Train
11-16-2013, 06:33 AM
"Patulski's Polish Army" was a massive sign that hung at Rich Stadium the first 2 years (1973-1974) until the blind Notre Dame followers in WNY realized what everyone else already knew... He couldn't play football worth a damn.

http://www.buffaloah.com/h/jablonski/breweries/

When I was a kid at the old Rockpile, my relatives would bring cases of beer from their car to their seats in the stadium and pass out bottles to all around them.
Iroquois Beer was popular with my relatives and was an iconic brewery in Buffalo for many years. Their classic Indian head tray hangs on my wall in the back room of my house.

pmoon6
11-16-2013, 06:43 AM
"Patulski's Polish Army" was a massive sign that hung at Rich Stadium the first 2 years (1973-1974) until the blind Notre Dame followers in WNY realized what everyone else already knew... He couldn't play football worth a damn.

http://www.buffaloah.com/h/jablonski/breweries/

When I was a kid at the old Rockpile, my relatives would bring cases of beer from their car to their seats in the stadium and pass out bottles to all around them.
Iroquois Beer was popular with my relatives and was an iconic brewery in Buffalo for many years. Their classic Indian head tray hangs on my wall in the back room of my house.The Rockpile was such a great place. They didn't have enough parking so my Dad would pay a guy to park on his lawn on Best Street. It warmed my heart when they immortalized it in "The Natural". They did the same for Parkside Candies where we used to get our Easter treats.

better days
11-16-2013, 07:34 AM

My one brother in-law is a good guy, but he is CHEAP. He comes to Fla to visit, eats my food, drinks my expensive beer, & on the rare occasion he brings some beer with him it is CHEAP CRAP.

So he came to visit a couple weeks ago & I decided to buy some crap beer for him to drink while he was here. I bought PBR. $2.99 for 4 16oz cans

better days
11-16-2013, 07:45 AM
The Rockpile was such a great place. They didn't have enough parking so my Dad would pay a guy to park on his lawn on Best Street. It warmed my heart when they immortalized it in "The Natural". They did the same for Parkside Candies where we used to get our Easter treats.

I don't remember the Rockpile having any parking at all. The parking was in peoples yards on Best St as you say. Or you could park on the Street & chance having your hubcaps/wheels stolen.

I remember seeing guys coming into the Stadium with a case of bottled beer on each shoulder. And I remember seeing Kegs of beer on seats.

pmoon6
11-16-2013, 07:48 AM
I don't remember the Rockpile having any parking at all. The parking was in peoples yards on Best St as you say. Or you could park on the Street & chance having your hubcaps/wheels stolen.

I remember seeing guys coming into the Stadium with a case of bottled beer on each shoulder. And I remember seeing Kegs of beer on seats.And little hibachis with grilled sausage. The cigar smoke that wafted up to heaven surely gave the angels a nicotine buzz.

better days
11-16-2013, 07:56 AM
And little hibachis with grilled sausage. The cigar smoke that wafted up to heaven surely gave the angels a nicotine buzz.

And guys selling bags of HOT roasted peanuts just outside the gate while other guys were selling programs.

My dad would always buy me a bag of peanuts & a program.

Night Train
11-16-2013, 08:57 AM
And guys selling bags of HOT roasted peanuts just outside the gate while other guys were selling programs.

My dad would always buy me a bag of peanuts & a program.

Their was this one African American guy with heavy sideburns,wearing a green army field jacket that sold peanuts in small brown paper bags tied into a square. 3 bags for $1.
He was a fixture at the Best street entrance to the Rockpile and moved to Rich stadium for the first several years by the scoreboard entrance. Was also at every event out front at the old Aud through the 1960's and 1970's.

I will never forget him and he made a few dollars off our family every time we saw him.

better days
11-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Their was this one African American guy with heavy sideburns,wearing a green army field jacket that sold peanuts in small brown paper bags tied into a square. 3 bags for $1.
He was a fixture at the Best street entrance to the Rockpile and moved to Rich stadium for the first several years by the scoreboard entrance. Was also at every event out front at the old Aud through the 1960's and 1970's.

I will never forget him and he made a few dollars off our family every time we saw him.

You have a GOOD memory.

Meathead
11-16-2013, 04:13 PM
never woulda remembered that guy if you hadnt mentioned him

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2013, 06:31 PM
If I buy this coat for $180 will anybody buy it from me for $200?

SpikedLemonade
11-16-2013, 06:50 PM
If I buy this coat for $180 will anybody buy it from me for $200?

Is there a slight poop stain on it?

BertSquirtgum
11-16-2013, 06:53 PM
There will be once I get it out of the box.

pmoon6
11-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Is there a slight poop stain on it?Spike's prerequisite for all his garments. It's fashionable in Canada.

WagonCircler
11-16-2013, 09:53 PM
I will always have a fondness for Schmidt's for the stupid fish on the can.

My best friend and I used to drink $3 pitchers of Schmidt's and shoot pool at Hello Dolly's on Niagara Falls Blvd when we were 16. As long as we didn't start any trouble nobody cared.

Times were so much less uptight then. They've changed for the worse.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm SO tempted to buy that jacket.

Mr. Pink
11-16-2013, 10:33 PM
My best friend and I used to drink $3 pitchers of Schmidt's and shoot pool at Hello Dolly's on Niagara Falls Blvd when we were 16. As long as we didn't start any trouble nobody cared.

Times were so much less uptight then. They've changed for the worse.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm SO tempted to buy that jacket.

I wonder if Hello Dolly turned into the Jolly Jug.

Small hole in the wall near Sheridan.

They still sell cans of Schmidt's. Last I was there...like 7 years ago now, they were a buck a piece.

I agree on things changing for the worse.

Famous Amos
11-17-2013, 07:35 AM

It'll put hair on your chest

pmoon6
11-17-2013, 07:38 AM
It'll put hair on your chestNo need, he uses depilatory for that smooth, clean metrosexual look.:D

Famous Amos
11-17-2013, 07:40 AM
anyone know why The Natural was filmed in Buffalo?

pmoon6
11-17-2013, 07:53 AM
anyone know why The Natural was filmed in Buffalo?Probably because War Memorial fit the time period and was way cheaper than going to a place like Wrigley. It also had the advantage of being little used so the filming schedule would be more flexible.

I think WNY politicians at the time were also aggressive in persuading filmmakers to come there. There was "Hide In Plain Sight", "Best Friends" with Goldie Hawn and Burt Reynolds.

My sister was a waitress at Lord Chumley's and served Goldie, Burt and Jimmy Caan when they were filming.

WagonCircler
11-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I wonder if Hello Dolly turned into the Jolly Jug.

Small hole in the wall near Sheridan.

They still sell cans of Schmidt's. Last I was there...like 7 years ago now, they were a buck a piece.

I agree on things changing for the worse.

Actually, the Jolly Jug (which is still chugging along) predates even Hello Dolly's, which became Cameo's and now sits empty.

WagonCircler
11-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Probably because War Memorial fit the time period and was way cheaper than going to a place like Wrigley. It also had the advantage of being little used so the filming schedule would be more flexible.

I think WNY politicians at the time were also aggressive in persuading filmmakers to come there.

There's a great feature on the anniversary DVD Director's Cut about that. Barry Levinson and crew were scouting out older ballparks and fell in love with Buffalo's period architecture and amenities.

pmoon6
11-18-2013, 06:37 AM
There's a great feature on the anniversary DVD Director's Cut about that. Barry Levinson and crew were scouting out older ballparks and fell in love with Buffalo's period architecture and amenities.Thanks, my friend. You just gave me a perfect idea of what should be in my Christmas stocking.

Historian
11-18-2013, 09:03 AM
The Rockpile was such a great place. They didn't have enough parking so my Dad would pay a guy to park on his lawn on Best Street. It warmed my heart when they immortalized it in "The Natural". They did the same for Parkside Candies where we used to get our Easter treats.

My Uncle Louis had a sign business, "Leon's Neon Signs, and the depot was right on Jefferson Ave, so we always had a secure place to park.

My fondest memory of the rockpile was the souvenir stands. My Dad would always buy me a program, and a pin with the ribbons and the tiny helmet hanging off it. I had two or three Bills pins, then he started buying me the opponents pin and helmet. Had the Pats, Fins, Jets, Raiders. Just about the entire AFL.

Historian
11-18-2013, 09:13 AM
They looked like this:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mg0D13EXSXLNAmZG2lnjl7g.jpg (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-NFL-Cincinnati-Bengals-pin-with-old-single-bar-football-helmet-hanger-NICE-/380759574287?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item58a70a070f)

better days
11-18-2013, 12:44 PM
They looked like this:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mg0D13EXSXLNAmZG2lnjl7g.jpg (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-NFL-Cincinnati-Bengals-pin-with-old-single-bar-football-helmet-hanger-NICE-/380759574287?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item58a70a070f)

Seriously? You show us the Bengals?

Let's see the BILLS!

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 05:24 AM
Seriously? You show us the Bengals?

Let's see the BILLS!He got upset, poured lighter fluid on them and set them alight when Buffalo lost their fourth Super Bowl.

Historian
11-19-2013, 07:18 AM
No never.

I just laced the pic off of Ebay.

It was either the Bengals or the Redskins.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 07:19 AM
No never.

I just laced the pic off of Ebay.

It was either the Bengals or the Redskins.I know, I'm just busting balls.

better days
11-19-2013, 07:29 AM
I know, I'm just busting balls.

Me too.