PDA

View Full Version : Geno vs. EJ

Don't Panic
11-17-2013, 02:18 PM
For the EJ non-fans... what's the verdict? Still a mistake to pass on Geno for EJ or is the jury still out (as it should be with first year QBs... but hasn't been around here for far too many)?

TacklingDummy
11-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Both suck.
EJ had back to back nice passes.

Don't Panic
11-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Pick 6... just to make things interesting...

Don't Panic
11-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Both suck.
EJ had back to back nice passes.

18 for 25 with no picks? I'd like him to continue sucking then.

IAG
11-17-2013, 02:25 PM
EJ is a franchise QB. Give him a chance.

Novacane
11-17-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm so happy we didn't that that turnover machine. Regardless how EJ turns out.

Don't Panic
11-17-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm so happy we didn't that that turnover machine. Regardless how EJ turns out.

Me too... and I wanted us to.

WagonCircler
11-17-2013, 07:34 PM
EJ had a very good day.

But I don't think he's a franchise QB.

That being said, if he could just develop some consistency and ball security, this team could win with him, provided the Defense continues to progress.

Night Train
11-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Manuel could be anything but I never wanted Smith, after watching him in college.

He can't read the safety or the LB in a zone look and hasn't improved at all. A turnover machine.

Mace
11-17-2013, 08:00 PM
I wasn't a fan of the ready-out-of-the-box Smith, but look where he ended up, they're trying to ride his erratic rookie arm too much.

Manuel was "assembly required". Bills aren't trying to ride him at this point. He's being assembled.

I really don't get why people are down on Manuel at this point. He missed a chunk of preseason and a chunk of regular season, and there's still 5 more games to see what happens with him before worrying much about it.

gr8slayer
11-17-2013, 08:52 PM
I still maintain that Manuel possesses the higher upside of the two.

TacklingDummy
11-17-2013, 08:55 PM
I still maintain that Manuel possesses the higher upside of the two.
Well EJ does have more talent around him on offense.

kishoph
11-17-2013, 09:10 PM
EJ had a very good day.

But I don't think he's a franchise QB.

That being said, if he could just develop some consistency and ball security, this team could win with him, provided the Defense continues to progress.

I don't think EJ's ball security is that bad, he has 4 ints. and 2 fumbles, that's an afternoon for Geno Smith. Rookie QB's are going to have troubles with turnovers, being that the defenses are a lot more complex than a college defense. I think EJ does a pretty good job of finding the open receivers and avoiding throwing into double coverage's and in time hopefully he'll get even better at it. I think EJ took a big step today in finding some confidence to air it out a little and he also did a pretty good job in a strong wind, which is important for any QB that's going to play for the Bills.

better days
11-17-2013, 09:39 PM

REALLY? After ALL the posts I have read on this board about the LACK of talent on Offense on the Bills.

-Need Receivers

-Need TE

-Need RB

That is what I read just this past week.

TacklingDummy
11-17-2013, 09:44 PM
REALLY? After ALL the posts I have read on this board about the LACK of talent on Offense on the Bills.

-Need Receivers

-Need TE

-Need RB

You don't think the Bi.ls have more talent on offense than the Jets? You are a fool.

13th ranked offense vs 20th ranked.

Meathead
11-17-2013, 10:04 PM
given the wind conditions and lacking his top two wideouts that was a spectacular performance today by ej. granted he got lucky on the first td but really he had to heave it up there anyway since it was third and long and they werent going to try a fg into that wind, so it was smart just to get it out and give his guy a chance at it. but most of his other throws were amazingly accurate esp the long balls that dropped right in perfectly. very encouraging day

- - - Updated - - -

-Need Receivers

-Need TE

-Need RB

that was last week after the world came to an end

WagonCircler
11-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Oh, by the way....

Geno SUCKS.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2013, 04:49 AM
Both have played better at home than on the road. Not surprising.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-18-2013, 07:24 AM
I gotta say at this point (yesterday's game not withstanding), Geno looked more polished and advanced in NFL career than EJ. Partly because, I guess, what the teams ask their QBs to do, the Bills want EJ to take baby steps, taking care of balls whereas the Jets put everythjing on Geno's shoulder. However, EJ seems to be on more stable ground than Geno, i.e. handles highs and lows during the game much better than Geno - never underestimate that mental factor, and I'm pretty sure Marrone has seens plenty of Geno from college on that aspect, because that could very well be a sign of an inconsistent player in his career, especially for the all-glory/all-trash position of QB.

Physically, I think it is well established that EJ is better than Geno. I really don't have a problem with Bills go the EJ route, even if he does not pan out eventually.

gr8slayer
11-18-2013, 05:23 PM
That's debatable. Either way, Manuel was without his top two WR's, against one of the nastier defenses the NFL has to offer, and he remained cool in the pocket, and probably had his best game as a pro. It's so easy to want instant gratification, but we have to be realistic, and keep in mind that the guy is only a few starts into his career. At some point, the QB-carousel has to end, and we have to give a guy a chance to figure it out.

Edit: I'm not necessarily taking either side in the argument, I think that Smith has had some great moments so far. They are both going to be good players for their teams, and I'd be happy to have either.

X-Era
11-18-2013, 05:43 PM
I think EJ has the mental markup over Geno. EJ doesn't get rattled, is calm in the pocket, and makes better decisions. Geno may be a better athlete at QB than he is a QB.

The mental part is such a huge part of being a QB.

WagonCircler
11-18-2013, 07:14 PM
I think EJ has the mental markup over Geno..

A pile of gravel has the mental markup over Geno.

Mace
11-18-2013, 07:55 PM
A pile of gravel has the mental markup over Geno.

You may well be onto something.

WagonCircler
11-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Geno is tearing it up again today!!!!

Hahahahaha.

Novacane
11-24-2013, 01:43 PM
He's looking like **** again lol. Side note..... I hate Dierdorf even when it's not a Bills game. My gosh he's an idiot

Famous Amos
11-24-2013, 02:04 PM
http://regressing.deadspin.com/charts-who-are-the-best-deep-passers-in-the-nfl-1469917039

I think the first chart is talking about how often the quarterback throws the ball compared to uh all his other throws. Maybe somebody with better reading comprehension than me can figure that out. even though Manuel is in the top 10 Geno is ahead of him.

the next chart is the deep ball accuracy and Geno's in the top 10 whereas Manuel is inthe bottom 5.

the last chart you have yards per attempt for deep throw and Manuel again is in the bottom and Ginos in top 5.

This is probably meaningless since JP Losman could throw a better deep ball than Manuel but its obvious that Manuel will have a better career than Tulane's finest.

But you can't take away from Geno's ability to stretch the field.

But the season isn't over and it looks like Manuel is on the up swing whereas Geno Smith is struggling. Hopefully EJ can continue to improve!

WagonCircler
11-24-2013, 02:13 PM
http://regressing.deadspin.com/charts-who-are-the-best-deep-passers-in-the-nfl-1469917039This is probably meaningless since JP Losman could throw a better deep ball than Manuel but its obvious that Manuel will have a better career than Tulane's finest.

Losman could throw a better deep ball than many QBs. He just couldn't throw anything else.

kishoph
11-24-2013, 04:45 PM
http://regressing.deadspin.com/charts-who-are-the-best-deep-passers-in-the-nfl-1469917039

But you can't take away from Geno's ability to stretch the field.

The problem is he stretches it the wrong way.
18 ints. and 6 fumbles lost, ouch.