PDA

View Full Version : Time for me to eat some crow

Owen DeBoard
11-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Jarius Byrd you showed up today and im glad to have you on the team. E J I wasnt very proud of you last week but with a depleted WR core you showed up and played a very good game. Thank you to both of you for a very good game. The future looks bright in Buffalo if we can keep Byrd.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2013, 03:00 PM
It's because Hackett wasn't up in his stupid booth. He should be on the sidelines with his rookie quarterback.

YardRat
11-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes, they both had good games today. Hope EJ continues to progress, but I still wouldn't pay Byrd more than top 5 money.

imbondz
11-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Can we please keep our best players. yes we need Byrd

TacklingDummy
11-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Maybe after today we can get a 1st rounder for Byrd in the off season.

JCBills
11-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Yes, they both had good games today. Hope EJ continues to progress, but I still wouldn't pay Byrd more than top 5 money.

I would. He has been arguably the best S in the NFL over the past few seasons. Here's a writeup I did on him earlier in the season:

Since entering the NFL in 2009, Byrd is 3rd in INTs over that span with 18, behind Asante Samuel at 24 and Charles Woodson/Aqib Talb at 19.

Among DBs, he sits 3rd in FFs with 10, behind Charles Tillman with 23 and Charles Woodson at 11.

Among all players he is tied for 8th in the same category. 28 Turnovers created in 4 seasons says playmaker.

He can cover, he can hit, he can come up in run support. To be sitting just behind guys like Tillman, Woodson, and Samuel when it comes to creating big plays at just 26 years old is very impressive. I'm having a hard time thinking of a safety as impactful as Byrd at his age among current players.

Meathead
11-17-2013, 03:57 PM
bills were ready to pay him third highest money and he will always remain a dumbass for turning that down. hope hes grown up and just accepts that offer next time and sticks around

RedEyE
11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
I was high on the list of moving Byrd off the team. I have since had second thoughts. The team is headed in the right direction and needs to keep some top tier game changers.

better days
11-18-2013, 02:42 PM
I would. He has been arguably the best S in the NFL over the past few seasons. Here's a writeup I did on him earlier in the season:

Since entering the NFL in 2009, Byrd is 3rd in INTs over that span with 18, behind Asante Samuel at 24 and Charles Woodson/Aqib Talb at 19.

Among DBs, he sits 3rd in FFs with 10, behind Charles Tillman with 23 and Charles Woodson at 11.

Among all players he is tied for 8th in the same category. 28 Turnovers created in 4 seasons says playmaker.

He can cover, he can hit, he can come up in run support. To be sitting just behind guys like Tillman, Woodson, and Samuel when it comes to creating big plays at just 26 years old is very impressive. I'm having a hard time thinking of a safety as impactful as Byrd at his age among current players.

And Byrd has now proven he can play well in Pettine's system.

The Bills need to keep Byrd on this team.

Mike
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Have been saying it all along... Bills need to sign & keep Byrd. They have the $$$ make him the highest paid FS in league. He's worth it.

GvilleBills
11-18-2013, 04:55 PM
It's because Hackett wasn't up in his stupid booth. He should be on the sidelines with his rookie quarterback.
I saw where EJ commented on it . Said it was huge, and his coach will be on the sideline for the rest of his career.

JCBills
11-18-2013, 08:53 PM
The defense has become the strength of the team. The pass rush is creating plays on the back end, and most of the guys are playing well as a result. The pass D is now 11th. Add a few more CBs and let the young secondary grow.

kishoph
11-19-2013, 05:57 AM
I do not think Byrd is the top safety in the league, top 5, no doubt, possibly top 3. At times Bryd can look great, other times he looks pedestrian, which is a big problem I have with Byrd, his consistency. The biggest problem I have with Byrd is the crap he and his agent pulled this season, first the demands to be the highest paid safety, then what I believe, his milking of his "injury." Make no mistake, I'd like for Byrd to stay with the Bills, but not at all cost.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-19-2013, 06:45 AM
I'm surprised that one game changed minds so quickly. However, Byrd has been warming up the last two games. It was about time after he missed all off season, half training camp, dealt with foot injury and finally back on speed. Unfortunately the Bills are out of playoff picture now (say what you want but @4-7, there are a lot of teams are in better position, inclduing the Jets, Dolphins. I still question whether the Bills can finish out of the basement of AFCE).

Byrd has the track record of 4 years here. Hope the event of the season and new staff changed his view of the organization. Still if he does change his stance(likely with Parker), the Bills must decide how much better Byrd is compared to emerging safeties the Bills have among a stable of youngsters they have on the roster AND what they can get on the market for Byrd.

Historian
11-19-2013, 07:16 AM
He can be a very valuable part of the team if he stays.

I agree. It's time to start keeping playmakers as opposed to perpetually trading them for draft picks.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 07:29 AM
I've been against paying a safety 9 million a year, but I've changed my mind since we have the money and Byrd has looked very good after overcoming his injury. Also, early in the season, it looked like the situation was a ploy by him and his agent.

Did any of you notice that going in to halftime, Byrd has his arm around Ed Reed and post game they had more than the usual post game conversation? Maybe advice from the veteran on his play and other things?

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 07:35 AM
He can be a very valuable part of the team if he stays.

I agree. It's time to start keeping playmakers as opposed to perpetually trading them for draft picks.I think the safety tandem of Byrd and Aaron Williams can be very good. May even remind you of Atwater/Smith, Shell/Wagner or Harris/Waters.

better days
11-19-2013, 07:50 AM
I've been against paying a safety 9 million a year, but I've changed my mind since we have the money and Byrd has looked very good after overcoming his injury. Also, early in the season, it looked like the situation was a ploy by him and his agent.

Did any of you notice that going in to halftime, Byrd has his arm around Ed Reed and post game they had more than the usual post game conversation? Maybe advice from the veteran on his play and other things?

Yeah, I already posted about Byrd talking to Reed after the game.

And Byrd said he is having fun out there playing with his brothers............nothing like it he said.

He likes all the guys in the locker room & I did not hear him say it, but I think he likes the Coaches as well.

If the Bills offer him a fair contract, I think he will want to stay.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I already posted about Byrd talking to Reed after the game.

And Byrd said he is having fun out there playing with his brothers............nothing like it he said.

He likes all the guys in the locker room & I did not hear him say it, but I think he likes the Coaches as well.

If the Bills offer him a fair contract, I think he will want to stay.Sorry, didn't see that post.

better days
11-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Sorry, didn't see that post.

Hey, no problem. I'm sure I miss some posts as well.

Albany,n.y.
11-19-2013, 08:31 AM
I saw where EJ commented on it . Said it was huge, and his coach will be on the sideline for the rest of his career.

I sure hope Hackett is not on the sideline the rest of EJ's career. The best case scenario is he's there his 1st few years and after the Bills win the Super Bowl Hackett gets a head coaching job with another team while EJ plays another decade in the league without Hackett on his sideline.

better days
11-19-2013, 08:37 AM
I sure hope Hackett is not on the sideline the rest of EJ's career. The best case scenario is he's there his 1st few years and after the Bills win the Super Bowl Hackett gets a head coaching job with another team while EJ plays another decade in the league without Hackett on his sideline.

I have not been a fan of Hackett, but I think he called his best game against the Jets.

I just hope he keeps that up.

JCBills
11-19-2013, 02:51 PM
I do not think Byrd is the top safety in the league, top 5, no doubt, possibly top 3. At times Bryd can look great, other times he looks pedestrian, which is a big problem I have with Byrd, his consistency. The biggest problem I have with Byrd is the crap he and his agent pulled this season, first the demands to be the highest paid safety, then what I believe, his milking of his "injury." Make no mistake, I'd like for Byrd to stay with the Bills, but not at all cost.

Nobody around the same age has been nearly as productive, not even close. The dude creates turnovers like crazy.

Thurmal
11-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Byrd is gone. Buffalo had their chance to keep him this offseason and didn't. He will sign with someone like Washington for huge money.

JCBills
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Byrd is gone. Buffalo had their chance to keep him this offseason and didn't. He will sign with someone like Washington for huge money.

While I would hate to see that happen, it easily could.

That being said, I don't think that S becomes as big of a need as some have suggested if that were to happen. Searcy and Williams have stepped up big time. We also haven't really seen D. Williams and Meeks much, though Williams has had some ST time. Meeks is on IR.

better days
11-20-2013, 06:59 AM

Well, I REALLY want the Bills to resign Byrd, but if they can't get that done, with the way Byrd is playing, the Bills should have no trouble trading him after they tag him again.

Bill Cody
11-20-2013, 01:38 PM

:yawn: