PDA

View Full Version : Does Stevie Johnson "Fit," In The Bills Offense?

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Goodwin and Graham got their chance and shined. Hogan played well too. I think the offense we saw against the Jets is what Hackett envisioned. Run the ball (even if it's not working) and hit the big plays on the edge with two speed receivers.

The offense exploded in 30 mph winds. Longest pass plays of the year. Multiple big plays were made, and EJ Manuel had his best day (so far) as the Bills franchise QB against a good Jets defense.

Robert Woods didn't play today, and neither did Stevie Johnson.

Woods has played very well for a rookie. Stevie Johnson is due to make over $8 million next year.

Stevie Johnson is good, but I think Jairus Byrd is better.

I hate to say this, because Stevie Johnson has always played his nuts off for the Bills, but I think he has been holding the Bills offense back and might not see a lot of time for the rest of the season - even if he's healthy.

TacklingDummy
11-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Never been a fan of him.
Too many drops, too many injuries, and too much mouth.

Crisis
11-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Never been a fan of him.
Too many drops, too many injuries, and too much mouth.

You're not a fan of anybody.

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Who would you rather keep right now? Byrd for $9 million per season, or Stevie Johnson at $8.5 million in 2014, $8.85 million in 2015 and $8.95 million in 2016?

Mr. Pink
11-17-2013, 05:09 PM
I believe Stevie is due a roster bonus this offseason.

It would surprise me if they cut or traded him as all it would do is create another hole they have to fill.

We can let Stevie go and draft Sammy Watkins! YaY!

Spin the wheels.

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 05:20 PM

It would surprise me if they cut or traded him as all it would do is create another hole they have to fill.

Spin the wheels.

Another hole to fill? I think you missed my point. Johnson is replaceable. He's good, not great. He does not have game changing speed. Graham and Goodwin are rookies with game changing speed. Robert Woods is fast too, but not as fast as Goodwin and Graham. Graham is not a rookie.

The offense really opened up today without Johnson in the lineup. I don't think he's on the team next year because the Bills are going to pay Jairus Byrd big money instead.

jdaltroy5
11-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Who would you rather keep right now? Byrd for $9 million per season, or Stevie Johnson at $8.5 million in 2014, $8.85 million in 2015 and $8.95 million in 2016?
Why not both?

Why does everyone always present an either/or scenario when it comes to players?

Crisis
11-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Do your opinions change weekly?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/221474-No-Interceptions-For-Byrd-Where-Is-Jim-Leonhard?highlight=

The Jokeman
11-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Another hole to fill? I think you missed my point. Johnson is replaceable. He's good, not great. He does not have game changing speed. Graham and Goodwin are rookies with game changing speed. Robert Woods is fast too, but not as fast as Goodwin and Graham. Graham is not a rookie.

The offense really opened up today without Johnson in the lineup. I don't think he's on the team next year because the Bills are going to pay Jairus Byrd big money instead.

When Stevie was healthy earlier in the season he was making more plays. He's fighting through injuries and why been less than great of late. We have more than enough cap room to keep Stevie and Byrd so you keep both. I also say bring in another vet WR in here to add to the mix as inspite of their play today I can't say I'm confident in Goodwin and Graham on a week by week basis.

elltrain22
11-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Yes he does, IMO, that is a no brainer. The thing I take away is that Hogan & Goodwin need more snaps.

Night Train
11-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking he's not on next seasons Bills roster.

The Jokeman
11-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Spin the wheels.

Or maybe we'll move Spiller because he wasn't great this year and draft Ka'Deem Carey in the draft.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2013, 05:36 PM

An 80 catch 1000 yards receiver is replaceable?

What are you gonna do roll with Woods as the 1, Goodwin the 2, Graham the 3?

You need to bring in someone to replace the production. Woods hasn't shown he can be the main target yet. Goodwin is the guy who's gonna stretch the field and make a few plays underneath and Graham just runs as he's not all that good at anything else.

Hogan is meh and easily replaceable. Easley is a bum and easily replaceable.

Johnson is not easily replaceable.

TacklingDummy
11-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Johnson is not easily replaceable.
He is when the QB plays the way he did today.

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Why not both?

Why does everyone always present an either/or scenario when it comes to players?

Because the Bills can't pay a #3 slot receiver $8.5 million for a guy who is close to 30 years old, does not have game changing speed, and can be replaced with depth.

jdaltroy5
11-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Because the Bills can't pay a #3 slot receiver $8.5 millionWhy not? And just because he's a slot receiver, doesn't mean he's a #3. He is still leading the team in every receiving category. Just like has been for the last 3 years.

for a guy who is close to 30 years oldGive me a break. He won't be 30 until the 2016 season. We can worry about that then.

does not have game changing speed Who the hell cares about game changing speed? He makes catches and he makes plays. He makes the team better.

and can be replaced with depth.This is all too similar to Levitre, Byrd, and the countless other good players that people want to easily discard because they can "easily be replaced with depth."

Stevie is a good player. We have lots of cap room.

Cutting him makes zero sense.

Mr. Pink
11-17-2013, 05:49 PM
He is when the QB plays the way he did today.

By the same logic then Woods is replaceable too.

So we should just trade him for a 2nd round pick this April since we don't need him.

Famous Amos
11-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Goodwin needs to see the field more regardless whether the Bills favor Stevie Johnson or not. We're are just seeing the tip of the ice berg with Goodwin. He catches everything thrown to him. I'd love to see him go over the middle and catch some slants. Like CJ Spiller, Goodwin is dynamite in open space. Find ways to get him the ball!

Mr. Pink
11-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Or maybe we'll move Spiller because he wasn't great this year and draft Ka'Deem Carey in the draft.

What actually might be intriguing is if they moved Spiller to WR to add another fast guy to the outside. His running isn't working this year for whatever reason...lack of seeing holes, not being any holes, too much dancing, porous run blocking.

While watching Spiller he's always reminded me of Eric Metcalf and Metcalf was transitioned into a WR role which he was pretty good at.

TacklingDummy
11-17-2013, 06:01 PM
By the same logic then Woods is replaceable too.

So we should just trade him for a 2nd round pick this April since we don't need him.
Agreed he's replaceable, don't agree they could get a 2nd round pick for him.

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 06:05 PM
When is the last time anyone here saw Stevie Johnson burn a cornerback for a TD catch of 30 yards or more?

I rest my case.

DynaPaul
11-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Given a choice between Byrd and Johnson I'd have to say Byrd even if I'm still pissed at his antics this season. Johnson is always fighting through injuries because he admits that he doesn't stay in football shape during the offseason. That's really not good for longevity at his age.

jdaltroy5
11-17-2013, 06:11 PM
When is the last time anyone here saw Stevie Johnson burn a cornerback for a TD catch of 30 yards or more?

I rest my case.
When was the last time that any of the burners that we have had a 1000 yards, 80 catches, or 10 TDs in one season.

Some of you guys are so impressed by the big play that you completely forget how important it is to have a reliable guy that can move the chains.

Goodwin and Graham had a good game today, but they have 26 catches COMBINED between the two of them this year. Johnson has almost double that on his own.

I swear, some of you guys have the attention span and memory of a goldfish.

- - - Updated - - -

Given a choice between Byrd and Johnson I'd have to say Byrd even if I'm still pissed at his antics this season. Johnson is always fighting through injuries because he admits that he doesn't stay in football shape during the offseason. That's really not good for longevity at his age.
Why does it have to be a choice?

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 06:12 PM
When was the last time that any of the burners that we have had a 1000 yards, 80 catches, or 10 TDs in one season.

Some of you guys are so impressed by the big play that you completely forget how important it is to have a reliable guy that can move the chains.

Goodwin and Graham had a good game today, but they have 26 catches COMBINED between the two of them this year. Johnson has almost double that on his own.

I swear, some of you guys have the attention span and memory of a goldfish.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it have to be a choice?

Stevie Johnson is not going to get 1000 yards this season.

jdaltroy5
11-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Ya and neither are Graham and Goodwin COMBINED.

Graham has 12 catches and one TD this year. There was a thread last week about how bad he is.

He makes TWO catches and now suddenly you want to cut our best WR?

Mr. Pink
11-17-2013, 06:16 PM

Likely not but with one big game it's possible if he's healthy-ish.

Needs 529 yards over the final 5 games.

BillsFever21
11-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Stevie isn't elite but he's a good receiver WHEN he is healthy which doesn't seem very often anymore. We wouldn't save anything on the cap next year so there wouldn't be any reason to get rid of him. Especially with a young group of WR's that will still only be 2nd year players next year. We need his experience. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting his replacement if there was a stud sitting there in the 1st round next year though. After next year we would save cap money.

Christ Graham finally has a decent game and Goodwin has his 2nd good big play of his career and BillsImpossible is ready to put them in the Pro Bowl or reserve their ticket for Canton, OH. It was one game for god sake LOL.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2013, 06:20 PM
He shouldn't be on the field limping around. If he's not 100% keep him inactive. I loved what I saw today with the younger players.

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Bills offense put up 30 points today. The most points scored on offense all season against a very good defense.

They did it with no running game, a rookie wideout, and a 2nd year player that just got slammed in the Buffalo News for not producing enough.

Jry44
11-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Goodwin and Graham got their chance and shined. Hogan played well too. I think the offense we saw against the Jets is what Hackett envisioned. Run the ball (even if it's not working) and hit the big plays on the edge with two speed receivers.

The offense exploded in 30 mph winds. Longest pass plays of the year. Multiple big plays were made, and EJ Manuel had his best day (so far) as the Bills franchise QB against a good Jets defense.

Woods has played very well for a rookie. Stevie Johnson is due to make over $8 million next year.

I hate to say this, because Stevie Johnson has always played his nuts off for the Bills, but I think he has been holding the Bills offense back and might not see a lot of time for the rest of the season - even if he's healthy.

Yes, he fits. His problem has been the QB carousel he's been left to play with all season long. You're under estimating the timing effect that a WR needs with his QB. Not to mention the inexperience at the position.

Crisis
11-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Bills offense put up 30 points today. The most points scored on offense all season against a very good defense.

They did it with no running game, a rookie wideout, and a 2nd year player that just got slammed in the Buffalo News for not producing enough.

They also benefited from two Geno turnovers in Jets territory, got the ball inside the five after the Geno fumble and I forget where the Byrd INT ended up after the penalty on the return but that was a short field as well.

We also benefited from an offside on a long FG attempt that allowed us to get a qb sneak on 4th and 1 for a first, and Graham caught the prayer on that drive I believe. The Jets have an amazing front 7 as well but their secondary doesn't compare. We abused Milliner mainly who has had an awful rookie year.

I hope you're not taking one game with a bunch of fluke plays as evidence that you can win in the NFL consistently with Goodwin and Graham as your #1 and #2 WR. Maybe if you play Geno Smith every week.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Because the Bills can't pay a #3 slot receiver $8.5 million for a guy who is close to 30 years old, does not have game changing speed, and can be replaced with depth.

He's 27 man. Jesus christ. You act like he's about to be in a wheel chair. He just needs to get healthy. This thread is a ******. Yeah, great idea, lets get rid of our best receiver when there isn't anyone better on the team. BRILLIANT.

http://imageshack.com/a/img59/8509/guinessbrilliant.jpg

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 06:51 PM
He's 27 man. Jesus christ. You act like he's about to be in a wheel chair. He just needs to get healthy. This thread is a ******. Yeah, great idea, lets get rid of our best receiver when there isn't anyone better on the team. BRILLIANT.

http://imageshack.com/a/img59/8509/guinessbrilliant.jpg

'when there isn't anyone better on the team.'

Not brilliant.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2013, 06:55 PM
'when there isn't anyone better on the team.'

Not brilliant.

Who is better than Steve johnson when healthy? Please tell me.

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Who is better than Steve johnson when healthy? Please tell me.

Marquise Goodwin.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Marquise Goodwin.

Was it you that fell off the 3rd level and hit your head at the game? Goodwin has one good game and he's all of a sudden better than Stevie. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

GvilleBills
11-17-2013, 07:09 PM
NO ONE gets off the line of scrimmage like Stevie.
The reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

imbondz
11-17-2013, 07:15 PM
I like Stevie. Can't wait til he's 100% healthy.

BillsImpossible
11-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Was it you that fell off the 3rd level and hit your head at the game? Goodwin has one good game and he's all of a sudden better than Stevie. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Goodwin has the potential to be great, not just good. Ever since he stepped on the field at St. John Fisher College, anyone who follows Buffalo Bills football closely has had this kid on the radar to be something special. It's not just one game, it's the future of the Bills offense.

YardRat
11-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Johnson is pretty decent on the short and intermediate routes, and never was intended to be a deep threat anyway as far as I know. If he were healthy, he'd be a lot more productive, although he'll probably never get over the drops. The antics have toned down a bit. Give him an off-season to get healthy and in shape, put him in the slot with Woods, Goodwin and Graham on the outside and that's a pretty good top 4 in my book.

BillsFever21
11-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Goodwin has the potential to be great, not just good. Ever since he stepped on the field at St. John Fisher College, anyone who follows Buffalo Bills football closely has had this kid on the radar to be something special. It's not just one game, it's the future of the Bills offense.

Even if(that's still a big if) was the case then how does it improve the Bills by getting rid of Johnson next year? You can't claim cap reasons since they wouldn't really save anything and even if they did we would still be sitting well under the cap.

And even if Goodwin did turn into a great player(again big if) how does it hurt having a veteran like Johnson on the team? He's not going to be a Calvin Johnson that has the combination of size, strength and speed that makes him a one man show. Even Megatron needs help here and there. It could only help the team to have a veteran that can move the chains and make plays even if Goodwill did have a breakout season.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of him after next season if Woods and/or Goodwin developed. It's not happening this season because he is still owed a lot of guaranteed money under his contract. They wouldn't save much(if anything) by getting rid of him. You just don't release talent for the sake of it.

better days
11-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Does Scott Chandler fit in this Offense?

People on this board bagging on him before this game.

I do think this is the best game Hackett has called...................maybe because Stevie & Woods were injured, he had no choice but to mix it up.

GingerP
11-17-2013, 07:31 PM

A big part of the reason they were able to score those points was the play of the defense. They had a defensive score and another turnover that gave the offense the ball on the 4 yard line. The defense created 4 turnovers, and the offense ended up with 313 yards of total offense and 4.7 yards-per-play. They hit some big plays, but this win was more about the defense than the offense.

The Bills paid Johnson a $4.75M option bonus this year. If they cut him, it would be $8.475M in dead money, which means there would be no cap savings.

SJ is still a good and productive player when healthy. You want to toss him to the curb because of Goodwin and his 16 career catches? that makes no sense. Why not wait and see if Goodwin can repeat what he did today on a consistent basis?

BillsFever21
11-17-2013, 07:33 PM
A big part of the reason they were able to score those points was the play of the defense. They had a defensive score and another turnover that gave the offense the ball on the 4 yard line. The defense created 4 turnovers, and the offense ended up with 313 yards of total offense and 4.7 yards-per-play. They hit some big plays, but this win was more about the defense than the offense.

The Bills paid Johnson a $4.75M option bonus this year. If they cut him, it would be $8.475M in dead money, which means there would be no cap savings.

SJ is still a good and productive player when healthy. You want to toss him to the curb because of Goodwin and his 16 career catches? that makes no sense. Why not wait and see if Goodwin can repeat what he did today on a consistent basis?

You should know by now whenever ANY player has a good game then that automatically makes them great. Even if they didn't do anything all season they will remember that one game though...

TacklingDummy
11-17-2013, 07:54 PM

Not true.
I like K. Williams, Fred Jackson when everyone hated him and wanted to put him out to pasture, the Oline, and the EJ Manuel that showed up against the NJ Jets.

Theres really only 4 I can't stand, the EJ that showed up against the Steelers, thumb in his azz Dareus, dropper Johnson, and useless Spiller.

better days
11-17-2013, 09:17 PM
You should know by now whenever ANY player has a good game then that automatically makes them great. Even if they didn't do anything all season they will remember that one game though...

What a BS post. According to you & your crowd, whenever a receiver fails to make a catch or a defensive player fails to make a tackle, he is a BUM & needs to be CUT.

JCBills
11-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Some of the best WRs aren't even close to the fastest players on the field. This is a pretty stupid thread.

justasportsfan
11-18-2013, 09:41 AM

My take on Stevie is that teams clamped down on him with teams knowing EJ would look for him or Woods. IF EJ can throw to Goodwin and Graham like he did yesterday, it would make things easier for Stevie.

With that being said, how much is Andre Johnson making? Making we can trade Stevie + pick to Texas . Pay Byrd and draft OL ,OL + another stud LB to play beside Kiko.

justasportsfan
11-18-2013, 09:56 AM

He's still hoping Flutie will come back and play for the bills.

Historian
11-18-2013, 10:09 AM
It certainly was nice not seeing Johnson drop any easy ones yesterday...

Mahdi
11-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Stevie is not Calvin Johnson or Green, we know that, but he does have his own X factor quality.

His injuries have kept him from producing this year and bad QB play has hampered him his whole career.

Basically, if Stevie was on the Pats or Packers he would be a PB WR IMO. His ability to create separation is elite and an elite QB would find him a lot.

He also has great RaC, very instinctive runner with the ball.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Stevie drops way too many passes to be a #1 WR in the NFL. I'm not saying he sucks, but he's not reliable enough to be your main target at WR, IMO. He's also injured way too often, mostly in his legs, which is never good for WRs.

justasportsfan
11-18-2013, 10:34 AM
trade Stevie for Andre Johnson.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Please don't be stupid. While I don't think Stevo is a number one receiver in the NFL and agree that he is overrated in that he can get the dropsies and give up on plays I think he makes this team better. Good lord, can you imagine what this team is going to be like next year? WR is not a problem for this team, lack of TE is, but WR is a strength. We change that if we let go of Joker.

- - - Updated - - -

trade Stevie for Andre Johnson.

You like carcinogens?

Mouldsie
11-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Yes, smoking fools from the slot when teams start playing 2 high trying to take away the deep ball.... or drawing those safeties down on pump fakes after he's moved the chains with the run game 4 times in a row allowing Goodwin and Graham to get deep once the opponents guard is down.