PDA

View Full Version : Deadspin: Fan falls from upper deck during Jets vs. Bills game.

gr8slayer
11-17-2013, 08:50 PM
http://deadspin.com/cbs-broadcast-shows-fan-falling-from-upper-deck-at-ralp-1466436450?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

What an idiot.

trapezeus
11-17-2013, 09:20 PM
update:renovations just increased another $10mm to put pork into project to try and stop these idiots

Novacane
11-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Dumb drunks

Crisis
11-17-2013, 09:29 PM
almost a contender for darwin awards

THRILLHO
11-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Time to sue the team and county!

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Stupid ****** ass hipster.

Skooby
11-17-2013, 10:08 PM
At least he didn't find the water outside the stadium.

BertSquirtgum
11-17-2013, 10:11 PM
I think it was Billsimpossible that fell.

BillsFever21
11-17-2013, 10:26 PM
How stupid can you be? I'm glad he's alright but damn he only walks away with a shoulder injury because some other guys head broke his fall. Hopefully that guy isn't hurt too bad.

It's funny seeing it since nobody was seriously hurt. You have to be one huge drunk idiot to go sliding down the rail on the upper deck.

Mike13
11-17-2013, 10:57 PM
How stupid can you be? I'm glad he's alright but damn he only walks away with a shoulder injury because some other guys head broke his fall. Hopefully that guy isn't hurt too bad.

It's funny seeing it since nobody was seriously hurt. You have to be one huge drunk idiot to go sliding down the rail on the upper deck.

I'm not, Darwin missed.

imbondz
11-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Deadspin is hilarious

Mr. Miyagi
11-18-2013, 03:10 AM
Has anyone heard from Thurm yet?

EricStratton
11-18-2013, 04:53 AM
After watching a guy fall from the upper deck in Yankee Stadium about 20 years ago I've always tried to be either covered in the lower seats or far enough forward so I can't get dropped on.

What a ****ty way to end your day, having some idiot fall on you

pmoon6
11-18-2013, 06:01 AM
I guess he was partying like it was 1929. He was channeling stockbrokers from that era. Maybe his porkbelly futures turned to ****.

don137
11-18-2013, 06:47 AM
I am glad he was not hurt bad. I just hope the guy he fell on gets a quick recovery. The guy should not be allowed to attend another sporting event in his life. I know it's hard to enforce. You can't fix drunk and stupid.

MikeInRoch
11-18-2013, 10:53 AM
You can't fix drunk and stupid.

Sometimes you can. Seems like a Bills fan who was kicked out of a game last season fixed it just fine.

trapezeus
11-18-2013, 03:41 PM
while i disagree with almost everything russ brandon does on a football level, his response today with a statement on buffalobills.com said this was a violation of fan code conduct and will not be allowed back into the stadium.

thats how these things should keep being addressed around the league. it's one thing to have a few drinks, its another one to just be a dumbass. this guy sucks.

Buffalogic
11-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Sounds like MitchMurrayDowntown

DynaPaul
11-18-2013, 04:10 PM
And the guy has a smirk on his face like it's some kind of joke. If I were sitting next to the guy he fell on this moron wouldn't have any teeth left by the time the paramedics came.

Meathead
11-18-2013, 04:14 PM
in todays news a fan is arrested after he attacks a man who had just fallen out of the upper deck injuring himself and another man. authorities intend to transport the attacker to buffalo psychiatric center for a full evaluation

Meathead
11-18-2013, 04:42 PM
btw anybody remember the guy who climbed out on the ez net wire during the giants mnf game at rich? btw - i was there and pointed it out to my friends who didnt look at first cuz they thought i was pulling their leg

funny how you can never find vids of that segment and i know ive seen them

Night Train
11-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Even money says he posts here.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-18-2013, 06:10 PM
I guess he was partying like it was 1929. He was channeling stockbrokers from that era. Maybe his porkbelly futures turned to ****.

Unfortunately, aside from being one hell of an urban legend, we have no proof at all that the 1930s era Wall-Street jumping epidemic ever happened. Now who do we know that would be stupid enough to pull off a stunt like that, say anyone know where JLB is?

Mouldsie
11-18-2013, 06:28 PM
When will Bills fans stop embarrassing themselves?

Generalissimus Gibby
11-18-2013, 06:34 PM
When will Bills fans stop embarrassing themselves?

When they raise ticket prices well above what the average person can pay?

Mace
11-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Even money says he posts here.

Wasn't me though. I'd slide down 4 inches of rail and roll down the steps on my head through a soft drink vendor, and get thrown out into the dirt with some guard pitching a bandaid fluttering in the wind at my crumpled, soft drink soaked, bleeding, drunken, concussed semi conscious self while a crowd of onlookers jeered me.

Have done it a number of times at various events, always happens the same. I climbed up a lighting fixture at an outdoor concert once too, fell down after a couple feet and rolled under a soft drink vendor. I was thrown out into the dirt with some guard pitching a bandaid fluttering in the wind at my crumpled, soft drink soaked, bleeding, drunken, concussed semi conscious self while a crowd of onlookers jeered me.

Damaging anyone else with your drunken shenanigans is unacceptably stupid though. The soft drink vendors I fall into can always protect themselves because it always happens to me in slow motion.

Meathead
11-19-2013, 12:34 AM
finally someone talking some sense

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 05:00 AM
When will Bills fans stop embarrassing themselves?When they ban alcohol from the parking lots and the stadium. It's on the slow road to going that way. Maybe just a breathalyzer test to gain admittance to the stadium.

Like I've said many times, learn to control yourself when attending a game or be ready to face the consequences of over drinking which include increased security measures. It still boggles my mind that people chose to get so blotto that they can't even enjoy an event they paid their hard earned money for. Want to get drunk, howl at the moon and watch a football game? Go to a sports bar.

Jeff1220
11-19-2013, 08:19 AM
When they raise ticket prices well above what the average person can pay?

They've already done that. Now they have people a lot of people there who pay for what they can't really afford.

THATHURMANATOR
11-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Gotta love the old Curmungdeons that post here.

Breathalyzers??? WHAT???

Banning alcohal in the parking lot?? WHAT???

I don't get wasted tailgating anymore but I remember a time when I was young and the tailgate was basically Saturday night's party spilling over to Sunday morning.

Don't act like it is such a foriegn concept.

Should people be not be such lush's? Of course but lets not ruin everyone else's time.

trapezeus
11-19-2013, 02:04 PM
it's become about getting plastered and then possibly seeing a game, whereas it used to be about the game and havinga drink or two.

the nfl has this happening across the country and its happening at a lot of heavy drinking events. people just go nuts when they think they kind of are allowed to.

the bills win a handful of games a season, this guy happened to have a ticket to that game and got thrown out before it got good. f him and all his friends who will celebrate this as something awesome.

ticatfan
11-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Probably someone from the range.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 06:33 PM

Breathalyzers??? WHAT???

I don't get wasted tailgating anymore but I remember a time when I was young and the tailgate was basically Saturday night's party spilling over to Sunday morning.

Should people be not be such lush's? Of course but lets not ruin everyone else's time.The bad apples ruin it for everyone. So stick "What" up your ass.

Maybe I wasn't clear. This behavior has gone on for a long time. The NFL and the individual teams crack down eventually and you will not be admitted to the stadium if you've had too much to drink. Now, I didn't say I would advocate for that, I'm just telling you what I think will happen.

Of course, given your limited intellect that may be hard to understand.

GvilleBills
11-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Stuck on stupid in skinny jeans. Please excuse yourself from the gene pool.

Mike13
11-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Moron got fired and is no facing criminal charges. (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24249348/report-bills-fan-who-fell-from-upper-deck-fired-from-job) Sterilization would complete the trifecta.

BertSquirtgum
11-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Dumb ass lost a good job over this. What a stupid ****.

http://www.billsinsider.com/dumbass-who-fell-at-bills-game-fired-from-current-employer/

Meathead
11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
he got fired from Eric Mower Associates

ha small world. mower used to work for me as a consultant. he was just starting his bidness and didnt have enough work so he subcontracted through me for some technical writing, if i recall correctly. long ass time ago

DynaPaul
11-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Hey, if we'd win more games people wouldn't have to get so drunk to cope with the pain. When we're kicking ass you have a tendency to be a little more sober so you can see it.

pmoon6
11-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Hey, if we'd win more games people wouldn't have to get so drunk to cope with the pain.Sounds similar to the excuses of every alcoholic.

trapezeus
11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
win or lose, people are usually drunk. When they are winning, it's more jovial and funny. When they lose and have a losing season, it's like a war scene in that stadium. people passed out, barely know where they are. people starting fights in the parking lot.

somehow class only shows up when we are competitive.

but i don't think this is a buffalo issue. the number of people falling out of stadiums has increased in the last 10 years. it's absurd. and some of it has to do with the corporatization of the game. so many higher price tickets that you are getting people to go to it as an event to be crazy. when it was more family friendly where you brought your kid and passed on the tradition, there was just more level headedness around. i remember my dad would have a drink when he took me as a kid, but he had his wits about them. now you just see throngs of guys in their 20's looking to be jackasses.

and for the most part, those fans look great when you zoom in on them for TV audiences. but they suck to be around.

MikeInRoch
11-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Breathalyzers??? WHAT???

Should people be not be such lush's? Of course but lets not ruin everyone else's time.

"Not a foreign concept" doesn't mean that it should be tolerated.

And when the drunk d-bag a couple rows up pukes, whose time is being ruined?

trapezeus
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
thurm is just one of those guys who loves defending this kind of thing. i've read it in the past.

i'm all for drinking, etc, but what is happening at professional sports stadiums is ridiculous. and because the costs are so high at the stadium, people pound them in the lot...and then still buy beer in the stadium. the league won't stop it. they want the revenue from the sponsorship to the overpriced concessions.

G Wolly
11-21-2013, 07:23 PM
My seasons are in 240. I was maybe 30 feet from where he fell. On the video, you can see me in the white jersey a few rows down from Talley on the wall.

So with that said, with the scoreboard to my left, for whatever strange reason I decided to look to my right just as he fell off and saw him fall feet first. The stands shook a little bit and I heard a smack. I had no idea wtf I just saw, so with everyone else in my section I watched on unable to see what the result was.

At first I figured he fell onto the concrete steps and snapped his neck or busted his head open. During the fracas we scored the first FG of the game, but most if not all of us in 240 were fixated on the scene.

After about, i don't know, 20 minutes or so I saw someone with a neckbrace talking to security which ended up being the slider. I didn't see him get carted out as the photo showed, but I was 11 seats to the right of where the photo was taken. Then all the talk started among the people, why it happened, who got hurt, etc. First I heard he was just sitting on the rail but later heard the official story. There was also talk of him landing on a teen kid which turned out to be true.

So it was surely shocking, definitely don't go to games expecting to see people's lives in danger. Glad to hear they're both okay now (even the dumbass slider) and we'll see who has to take the heat for this. Whether it be the slider or the organization.

PS. That's where I was seated in relation to it.

Mace
11-21-2013, 09:37 PM
I wish I could get video of his next job interview for youtube.

OpIv37
11-21-2013, 10:16 PM
thurm is just one of those guys who loves defending this kind of thing. i've read it in the past.

i'm all for drinking, etc, but what is happening at professional sports stadiums is ridiculous. and because the costs are so high at the stadium, people pound them in the lot...and then still buy beer in the stadium. the league won't stop it. they want the revenue from the sponsorship to the overpriced concessions.

First, the league is all over the place with this. A lot of their commercials and the alcohol sponsorship imply a party atmosphere, and the tailgating is not something they openly support, but they also don't openly shy away from it or try to stop it (with a few exceptions like the Pinto tailgate). But, then they claim the games are a "family atmosphere" and come up with the "fan code of conduct" so people feel safe to bring their families. Then they make the tickets so damn expensive that most people can't afford to take their family. It's mind-boggling- they're toeing the line so they can try to attract both the family crowd and the party crowd without alienating one or the other.

Second, in the specific case of Buffalo, the team sucks. They're not worth watching, but people keep going to the games, and the tailgates are a big reason for that. Shut down the tailgates, and you'll be lucky to get 20k to show up for those late December games in the double-digit loss seasons that have become the norm.

Finally, I don't want to sound like I'm defending people getting obnoxiously stupid drunk at games and doing stupid things that are at best annoying to other fans and at worst actually dangerous. But at the same time, how do you cut down on the obnoxious drunks without punishing the people who know their limits and who know how to handle their booze? You cant just pass rules or laws for the lowest common denominator.

Mace
11-21-2013, 10:24 PM
You cant just pass rules or laws for the lowest common denominator.

Honestly, sure you can. No matter your politics, we do it all the time. The lowest common denominator defines just about everything and everyone cringes when it gets lower because we all pay for it. But it gets lower, and then things get worse.

OpIv37
11-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Honestly, sure you can. No matter your politics, we do it all the time. The lowest common denominator defines just about everything and everyone cringes when it gets lower because we all pay for it. But it gets lower, and then things get worse.

No we don't. If we did, alcohol and guns would be totally outlawed, fast food would be banned, all cars would have governors to keep them from going over 65 mph, credit cards would be illegal, etc

ServoBillieves
11-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Wish you would step back from that ledge Bills fan...

trapezeus
11-22-2013, 11:38 AM
i'm not even talking about legislating anything. i'm just asking that we have some level of pride in how we conduct ourselves. drink if you want to drink. but know your limit. and you should get a lot of grief for being an embarassment...instead of heralded as that amazing guy who just goes to the very extreme and is so much fun because anything can happen.

also if he doesn't go over the edge, what was his big trick. sliding down due to gravity and it being a trick every 5 year old kid does on a banister? he's an idiot and is getting what he deserved.