PDA

View Full Version : I'd be fine with the Bills going 5-11.

Oaf
11-17-2013, 11:49 PM
If it meant splitting with all div. foes for the first time since who knows when, and beating the Pats in a meaningful game for them (i.e. knocking them out of a bye week). That'd be progress in my book.

Forward_Lateral
11-18-2013, 04:50 AM
I wouldn't be. That would mean they'd have to lose to Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta and the Fins.

No thanks. They had better finish 7-9, at worst.

Night Train
11-18-2013, 05:34 AM
Free falling Atlanta, 2 win Tampa, Lost Jacksonville, Miami at home and the Pats to finish.

You only see 1-4 in that stretch ? If our D plays like yesterday, I can see our next 4 opponents struggling to win.

jdaltroy5
11-18-2013, 09:34 AM
We're not going to play every game like we did yesterday.

Just like I knew we weren't going to play every game like we did in Pittsburgh.

But given our light schedule ahead, I would expect us to go 3-2 during that stretch.

Luisito23
11-18-2013, 09:40 AM
What kinda garbage post is this?...5-11?

better days
11-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Aside from the Pats* in Foxboro, I think the toughest game will be against the Bucs.

Like the Bills the Bucs have been in every game played this year.

They have a GOOD defense & Glennon is developing. And Schiano is coaching for his life.

I think the Bucs can't afford to lose more than one game for Schiano to keep his job.

And the Bucs have a tough schedule ahead with only the Bills & 49ers at home.

Skooby
11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
The Bucs suck & have beaten nobody, it'll be 70-75 degrees there as well so forget about the heat factor.

Jry44
11-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Aside from the Pats* in Foxboro, I think the toughest game will be against the Bucs.

Like the Bills the Bucs have been in every game played this year.

They have a GOOD defense & Glennon is developing. And Schiano is coaching for his life.

I think the Bucs can't afford to lose more than one game for Schiano to keep his job.

And the Bucs have a tough schedule ahead with only the Bills & 49ers at home.

Not Miami, who is a divisional foe that we have already played?

better days
11-18-2013, 09:55 AM
The Bucs suck & have beaten nobody, it'll be 70-75 degrees there as well so forget about the heat factor.

Like I said, the Bucs have been in every game. And it is a Home game for them.

This game will be no gimme & I could see the Bills losing it.

better days
11-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Not Miami, who is a divisional foe that we have already played?

Yeah, that game will be tough as well, but at least the Bills will have Home field advantage in that game.

I think the Bills can sweep the Fins. I think they can beat the Bucs in Tampa as well.

But I think the Bills could also lose either or both of those games.

jdaltroy5
11-18-2013, 09:57 AM

This game will be no gimme & I could see the Bills losing it.They've also won two in a row. Granted it was against the Falcons and Jags, but there is some talent on that roster.

justasportsfan
11-18-2013, 10:00 AM
6-10 or better in Marrones first year is heading the right direction for me.

- - - Updated - - -

This game will be no gimme & I could see the Bills losing it.
bills need to hit Glennon a lot.

Skooby
11-18-2013, 10:01 AM
They've also won two in a row. Granted it was against the Falcons and Jags.
The Bills have more wins than both of those teams combined.

Historian
11-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Buffalo generally lays an egg in Tampa.

I wouldn't pencil that one in the win column just yet.

better days
11-18-2013, 10:02 AM
6-10 or better in Marrones first year is heading the right direction for me.

- - - Updated - - -

bills need to hit Glennon a lot.

Yeah, I have said from the start the Bills need to win 6 games. And I think they will win at least that many.

The Bucs have a GOOD OL & Glennon gets the ball out. The Bills can hit him, but I don't expect a lot of sacks.

Skooby
11-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Last time we played there, it was real hot. I went & it was 110 degrees on the field & it felt like 120 degrees in the stands. I'm not joking either, even the hookers had to stay in the air-conditioning on their mobile bus. We kept joking around with the locals saying we're going to park that Cadillac, the Cadillac parked on us. The locals also tore us a new one after the game was over, it was relentless.

Jry44
11-18-2013, 10:07 AM

That doesn't make them automatic, easy wins.

EDS
11-18-2013, 10:08 AM
They've also won two in a row. Granted it was against the Falcons and Jags, but there is some talent on that roster.

Amazing how any running back they throw out there, and they seem to be on their fourth strong guy at this point, can put up big yardage.

jdaltroy5
11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Yes and the Jets had almost twice as many wins as us going into the game yesterday and we crushed them

It's the NFL, there are no easy outs.

This is still a very young 4-7 team.

We're not expected to just cruise by any team.

justasportsfan
11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I have said from the start the Bills need to win 6 games. And I think they will win at least that many.

The Bucs have a GOOD OL & Glennon gets the ball out. The Bills can hit him, but I don't expect a lot of sacks.

we don't have to sack him, just pressure him a lot.

Skooby
11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Yes and the Jets had almost twice as many wins as us going into the game yesterday and we crushed them

It's the NFL, there are no easy outs.

This is still a very young 4-7 team.

We're not expected to just cruise by any team.

That doesn't make them automatic, easy wins. I agree but those are probably the two worst teams in the league right now, followed closely by Tampa.

better days
11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Amazing how any running back they throw out there, and they seem to be on their fourth strong guy at this point, can put up big yardage.

Yeah, it is AMAZING what a GOOD OL can do.

pmoon6
11-18-2013, 10:13 AM

I wouldn't pencil that one in the win column just yet.I don't pencil any in the Win column. These are all professionals and the games are mostly about the gameplan and match-ups.

Even in the late '80's, early '90's, I considered every game a fistfight and the outcome was never a given. The Jags gave Denver everything they could handle in their building. So did Buffalo hosting NE, Cincy and KC.

better days
11-18-2013, 10:13 AM
I agree but those are probably the two worst teams in the league right now, followed closely by Tampa.

The Bucs have a lot of talent unlike the Jags.

When they start getting GOOD CONSISTENT play from the QB position, the Bucs are going to win games.

Skooby
11-18-2013, 10:18 AM
The Bucs have a lot of talent unlike the Jags.

When they start getting GOOD CONSISTENT play from the QB position, the Bucs are going to win games.
The Bucs found 1 teams with so much less talent that their coaches ineptness didn't matter & another coach that lost his team.

trapezeus
11-18-2013, 10:21 AM
any given sunday. if the bills go undefeated or unvictorious, it's possible. the worst teams this week can be the hot team 2 weeks from now.

we aren't good in toronto, only beating the redskins thus far. tampa has been in all their games and have looked pretty decent in last couple games.

Jax has gotten some fast starts on better teams only to squander them later. that's not exactly a lay up for a bills team that doesn't like to score much in the 1st quarter. and the pats game i can only imagine will end in tears and patriot fans saying, "oh there isn't any cheating or favortism" while goodell walks in the last touchdown.

better days
11-18-2013, 10:25 AM
The Bucs found 1 teams with so much less talent that their coaches ineptness didn't matter & another coach that lost his team.

AGAIN, the Bucs have been in EVERY game they have played.

The wins will start coming for that team. But maybe not until next year.

Skooby
11-18-2013, 10:28 AM

The wins will start coming for that team. But maybe not until next year. Maybe next year is our line.

better days
11-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Maybe next year is our line.

Well, I am a fan of BOTH teams, so maybe it is MY line.

My dream, to see the Bills & Bucs in the Super Bowl together.

pmoon6
11-18-2013, 10:41 AM

My dream, to see the Bills & Bucs in the Super Bowl together.And whom would you root for in that case?

EDS
11-18-2013, 10:51 AM

My dream, to see the Bills & Bucs in the Super Bowl together.

That is the NFL's nightmare! Total ratings killer.

Historian
11-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Last time we played there, it was real hot. I went & it was 110 degrees on the field & it felt like 120 degrees in the stands. I'm not joking either, even the hookers had to stay in the air-conditioning on their mobile bus. We kept joking around with the locals saying we're going to park that Cadillac, the Cadillac parked on us. The locals also tore us a new one after the game was over, it was relentless.

I remember three very significant games there:

1976- Bob Chandler made one of his patented catches in the back of the end zone to save the day, otherwise we would have been the only team to lose to the expansion Bucs. Bills win 14-9.

1982- All the Bills have to do to get in the strike shortened playoff tournament is win in Tampa against the lowly Bucs. Knox's Bills lose 33-something. No playoffs.

1988- Bills could have had home field advantage throughout, if not for a loss to the Testaverde-led Bucs, 10-5.

Ugh!

pmoon6
11-18-2013, 11:13 AM

1976- Bob Chandler made one of his patented catches in the back of the end zone to save the day, otherwise we would have been the only team to lose to the expansion Bucs. Bills win 14-9.

1982- All the Bills have to do to get in the strike shortened playoff tournament is win in Tampa against the lowly Bucs. Knox's Bills lose 33-something. No playoffs.

1988- Bills could have had home field advantage throughout, if not for a loss to the Testaverde-led Bucs, 10-5.

Ugh!You're finally living up to your handle.

Meathead
11-18-2013, 11:47 AM
thats oafs new nickname

5-11: always closed

Meathead
11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
actually you could say that about me since i predicted five wins myself. which given the way this team is playing on the road is still looking like a decent possibility with really four away games left

still praying for the miraculous run to the last wc tho. for twenty eight or so teams each game is more like a dice roll than a test of ability. bills could start rolling sevens and squeeze in but lets be real. this is a young frankenteam that hasnt been able to figure out how to keep the monster from showing up away from home. two more wins is probably what its gonna be

better days
11-18-2013, 12:13 PM
And whom would you root for in that case?

The Bills of course.

The Bucs are #2 with me, the Bills will always hold first place in my heart.

Oaf
11-18-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't care about other teams. We go 3-3 in the division or better and I'm happy.

EDIT: And stick it to the Pats.

jdaltroy5
11-18-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't care about other teams. We go 3-3 in the division or better and I'm happy.
I'd happily go 0-6 in the division to be 10-6 overall.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Do you know when we will all know rather or not this team has turned the corner? No? Okay, I'll tell you. It will be going into the season finale against New England. If we have gone on a five game win streak (Jets, Falcons, Bucs, Jags, and Fish) then I will know that the team is heading in the right direction. Now this is not mere bipolar rantings from a crazed fan, no this is stating the obvious. Good teams beat teams they are better than. Our next three opponents have won a combined total of five games all season. The wins can be out and out routs or they can be KC ugly but we need to win our next three especially. Then we need to play Miami and beat them. If we are in position to go into the season finale with a chance to go 9-7 then its all worth it. Honestly, this is yet another complete rebuild and I think we should not be even saying the P word this year, but we should be talking credibility. As moonie and others have said, this league is any given Sunday but we at minimum have to win the next three games as they are not sure bets, but lets just say they are very winnable.

GvilleBills
11-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Hopefully the team is focused on Atlanta. Handle biz, let the season come to you.

Oaf
11-18-2013, 08:46 PM
I'd happily go 0-6 in the division to be 10-6 overall.

Me too, except for the fact we'd probably miss the playoffs with that sort of div./conf. record.

I'm not saying I prefer less wins over more wins. I'm saying there's no reason to expect we can win two games in a row, much less 5 or whatever. But if we were able to beat the Pats at Foxboro, that would show me something about Marrone & co. that stands out above DJ and CG. And that's what we're looking for, right?

Ed
11-18-2013, 10:40 PM

The wins will start coming for that team. But maybe not until next year.
Every game? Even their losses to New England, Carolina, and Atlanta? You might want to re-watch those games.

BertSquirtgum
11-18-2013, 11:25 PM
I'd be fine if people stopped making stupid ass threads like this. Why would anyone be happy with the Bills going 5-11? How ****ing stupid.

Skooby
11-19-2013, 01:18 AM

Ugh!

The 1988 game made us go to Cincy for the playoff conference final game if I recall, which resulted in a dropped pass that might have helped won that the game. I was personally at indoor track meet at UB on that Saturday, which resulted in a few wins included the 4-man relay for my Maryvale High School team.

After checking on it, I wanted to thank Historian for forcing me to remember that day:

AFC Championship GameCincinnati Bengals 21, Buffalo Bills 10
1 2 3 4 Total
Bills 0 10 0 0 10
Bengals 7 7 0 7 21
at Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio

Game time: 12:30 pm EST
Game attendance: 59,747
Referee: Gene Barth
TV announcers (NBC): Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen
The Bengals forced 3 interceptions, and allowed only 45 rushing yards and 136 passing yards, while their offense held the ball for 39:29. Bills starting running back Thurman Thomas was held to just 6 yards on 4 carries, while quarterback Jim Kelly completed only 14 of 30 passes for 161 yards and 1 touchdown, with 3 interceptions.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Buffalo_Bills_season

stuckincincy
11-19-2013, 02:16 AM
The 1988 game made us go to Cincy for the playoff conference final game if I recall, which resulted in a dropped pass that might have helped won that the game. I was personally at indoor track meet at UB on that Saturday, which resulted in a few wins included the 4-man relay for my Maryvale High School team.

There was a rifle range in the basement. I used to shoot there. Different times, eh?

Skooby
11-19-2013, 02:20 AM
There was a rifle range in the basement. I used to shoot there. Different times, eh?

LOL yep, different times. I'm Facebook friends with Robert Moscato as well, our beloved Principal from the school at that time.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 05:11 AM

After checking on it, I wanted to thank Historian for forcing me to remember that day:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Buffalo_Bills_seasonNo, the dropped pass was in Cleveland after the '89 regular season. Ronnie Harmon. The Bengals game the year before we were pretty much handled. A pivotal play was when Derrick Burroughs was called for pass interference in the endzone, but Icky Woods had a pretty good game and kept our offense off the field.

stuckincincy
11-19-2013, 05:25 AM
No, the dropped pass was in Cleveland after the '89 regular season. Ronnie Harmon. The Bengals game the year before we were pretty much handled. A pivotal play was when Derrick Burroughs was called for pass interference in the endzone, but Icky Woods had a pretty good game and kept our offense off the field.

Woods rushed 29 times for 102 and 2 tds. CIN ran the ball 43 times, 50 if you include Esiason:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198901080cin.htm

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Woods rushed 29 times for 102 and 2 tds. CIN ran the ball 43 times, 50 if you include Esiason:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198901080cin.htmYeah and I always hated the "Icky Shuffle". The guys in the Dog Pound should have hit him in the head with a car battery.

Albany,n.y.
11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
No, the dropped pass was in Cleveland after the '89 regular season. Ronnie Harmon. The Bengals game the year before we were pretty much handled. A pivotal play was when Derrick Burroughs was called for pass interference in the endzone, but Icky Woods had a pretty good game and kept our offense off the field.

There was also a facemask call on Bruce when he sacked Boomer and the replay showed he got him by the front of his jersey & was nowhere near his facemask. The Bills chances certainly weren't helped by the refs that day.

JoeMama
11-19-2013, 08:49 AM
5-11 is never acceptable (unless we sweep the Dolphins).

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 08:50 AM
There was also a facemask call on Bruce when he sacked Boomer and the replay showed he got him by the front of his jersey & was nowhere near his facemask. The Bills chances certainly weren't helped by the refs that day.Glad you can remember those details.

I still love the fact that Esiason and Wyche had a **** hemorrhage when Buffalo started using the No Huddle and pundits were giving Levy credit for it.

colin
11-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I am obviously upset with the record so far this year, but i can't think of a season that had a more opportune bye week. Lets our WRs get healthy, more time for the O to come together and game plan, and we are facing 3 weak teams in a row. if we had snuck in 2 more wins (cincy and kc were ours to lose) I'd be losing my mind to fandemonium right now. As it is, i think we have the best shot in the NFL at running the table, which gives us a 20% or so chance at the playoffs. either way, finishing strong would be awesome.

Albany,n.y.
11-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Glad you can remember those details.

I still love the fact that Esiason and Wyche had a **** hemorrhage when Buffalo started using the No Huddle and pundits were giving Levy credit for it.

I always remember the plays where I was screaming after the play. Bruce grabbed the front of his shirt on the tackle so fast Boomer's head snapped & the refs threw the flag. I was going nuts when they showed the replay. I'm still mad at the refs for calling intentional grounding on Jim Kelly when he threw it beyond the endzone into the stands against Miami & the next play was a 100+ yard pick six. In 50 years of watching football, I can only remember 2 times when a QB got called for intentional grounding throwing it beyond the endzone into the stands.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 11:20 AM
I always remember the plays where I was screaming after the play. Bruce grabbed the front of his shirt on the tackle so fast Boomer's head snapped & the refs threw the flag. I was going nuts when they showed the replay. I'm still mad at the refs for calling intentional grounding on Jim Kelly when he threw it beyond the endzone into the stands against Miami & the next play was a 100+ yard pick six. In 50 years of watching football, I can only remember 2 times when a QB got called for intentional grounding throwing it beyond the endzone into the stands.They called that on Kelly one time in Denver as well. I think Wade Phillips was coaching the Broncos at the time.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 11:25 AM
I always remember the plays where I was screaming after the play. Bruce grabbed the front of his shirt on the tackle so fast Boomer's head snapped & the refs threw the flag. I was going nuts when they showed the replay. I'm still mad at the refs for calling intentional grounding on Jim Kelly when he threw it beyond the endzone into the stands against Miami & the next play was a 100+ yard pick six. In 50 years of watching football, I can only remember 2 times when a QB got called for intentional grounding throwing it beyond the endzone into the stands.No wonder Boomer has a hard on for the Bills. Bruce Smith gave him a boo boo in the championship game and basically ended his career when he was with the Jets. That and the aforementioned Levy hijacking of "their" offense.

Historian
12-09-2013, 09:41 AM

I had a feeling......

:shakeno:

pmoon6
12-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I had a feeling......

:shakeno:Was the feeling a burning sensation when you urinate?

Jan Reimers
12-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I think we should all be fine with 4-12. It pays to keep your expectations low with this team. Then if we do wake up and beat someone, we can all jump for joy.

Historian
12-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Was the feeling a burning sensation when you urinate?

Different feeling, same result.

imbondz
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Is 5-11 ever acceptable? Even in a 'rebuilding year'? I'm gonna say no. I understand it's going to happen, but still shouldn't be acceptable.

Oaf
12-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Is 5-11 ever acceptable? Even in a 'rebuilding year'? I'm gonna say no. I understand it's going to happen, but still shouldn't be acceptable.

If we sweep the Fins, split the Jets and Pats given our last 5 years of division play, I think it's a positive. Playoffs starts with winning inside the division, and we weren't getting in regardless this year.

Oaf
12-09-2013, 11:14 AM
I think we should all be fine with 4-12. It pays to keep your expectations low with this team. Then if we do wake up and beat someone, we can all jump for joy.

Every time I do something else with my afternoon, the Bills win and I miss it. :mad: (Broncos in '11, Jets this year)

Mr. Pink
12-09-2013, 11:18 AM
They won't beat the Pats.