X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

One thing nobody can dispute about Manuel

He has the arm to play in Buffalo. Usually when it's windy like it was yesterday, there's no chance at a passing game for the Bills. See: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Trent Edwards, etc, etc. Even Losman was terrible in the wind.

Manuel played brilliantly yesterday, one would say darn near flawlessly. I'm not anointing him, but I will give credit where it's due. After the awful performance last week and the previous stinker vs the NY Jets, yesterday was a sigh of relief, if you will. A sign that Manuel can play.

I'd also like to start the Goodwin should be a starter petition.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: One thing nobody can dispute about Manuel

Yeah, he definitely has the arm in play in Buffalo.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

One thing I hope they see is they should roll him out a bit to create a clean passing lane. I understand the whole pocket theory but he gets a few knocked down and can lock on his primary a bit too often.

He throws a nice ball. Accuracy should improve with experience. A couple were affected by the wind blowing across the field but that happens at the Ralph.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

marrone said ej had the second biggest hands of all the qbs in the draft and was one of the big reasons they picked him over others bc hand size is a big determinate in bad weather throwing ability. sure looked like it today
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

The 1st TD to Graham is a bit Roethlisberger-ish, a bit lucky. An unblocked Jets blitzer is on him and he still wings the ball downfield. The ball hung in wind and TJ tracks the ball (what a shocker) while the defender didn't. Maybe the experience of playing in Ralph helped.

The fact EJ fires the ball down field is a good sign regardless the outcome. It's the open secret that even EJ admitted as much in his presser (and many others like CJ said in the past, though some interpret as a shot to EJ) on how teams are defending Bills: stack the box to stop run, flood the intermediate area. You can say all you want about getting receivers big and tall who can win jump balls in traffic, but the most effective way is beat them deep on those defenses. Once is nice; consistency is the key, though.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

... yesterday
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
              The 1st TD to Graham is a bit Roethlisberger-ish, a bit lucky. An unblocked Jets blitzer is on him and he still wings the ball downfield. The ball hung in wind and TJ tracks the ball (what a shocker) while the defender didn't. Maybe the experience of playing in Ralph helped.

The fact EJ fires the ball down field is a good sign regardless the outcome. It's the open secret that even EJ admitted as much in his presser (and many others like CJ said in the past, though some interpret as a shot to EJ) on how teams are defending Bills: stack the box to stop run, flood the intermediate area. You can say all you want about getting receivers big and tall who can win jump balls in traffic, but the most effective way is beat them deep on those defenses. Once is nice; consistency is the key, though.
              When EJ was drafted, I said he reminded me of Big Ben with his size & arm strength. I really wanted the Bills to draft Russell Wilson & he is tearing it up for the Seahawks, but hopefully EJ continues to develop & become a Franchise QB like Roethlisberger

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                He has the arm to play in Buffalo. Usually when it's windy like it was yesterday, there's no chance at a passing game for the Bills. See: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Trent Edwards, etc, etc. Even Losman was terrible in the wind.

Manuel played brilliantly yesterday, one would say darn near flawlessly. I'm not anointing him, but I will give credit where it's due. After the awful performance last week and the previous stinker vs the NY Jets, yesterday was a sigh of relief, if you will. A sign that Manuel can play.

I'd also like to start the Goodwin should be a starter petition.
                Marrone had the team practice outside in the cold & wind during the week.

He said I want to practice in the conditions we will be playing in......................SMART.

And not only Goodwin, but Graham, Hogan & Chandler all had good games yesterday.

Some people on the board have been calling for the Bills to draft a receiver high next year.

Others bagged on Chandler.

I said nonsense to both of that. Receiver is WAY DOWN on the list of Bills needs & Chandler is a weapon.

Chandler does not have Gronks speed, but he does have his size & he has good hands. I still think he should be used more effectively in the red zone like Chan used him.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                  Marrone had the team practice outside in the cold & wind during the week.

He said I want to practice in the conditions we will be playing in......................SMART.

And not only Goodwin, but Graham, Hogan & Chandler all had good games yesterday.

Some people on the board have been calling for the Bills to draft a receiver high next year.

Others bagged on Chandler.

I said nonsense to both of that. Receiver is WAY DOWN on the list of Bills needs & Chandler is a weapon.

Chandler does not have Gronks speed, but he does have his size & he has good hands. I still think he should be used more effectively in the red zone like Chan used him.
                  hilarious...he's dropped critical passes all season. an upgrade is needed. maybe not this upcoming draft or high, but i would take a more reliable TE than chandler.

He hurt his leg, not his hands. the drop off this year has been noticable.

as for EJ....good win for him, smart ball placement all game. the knock on him this game and it is something that can take time, but needs to be ready to go next season, is that he needs to scan the field better. he drops and throws to his guy. he needs to learn to look some people off.

but his arm strength in the wind was definitely noticable. he was like 2-3 on long passes and the two went for TD's. the third would have as well.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                    hilarious...he's dropped critical passes all season. an upgrade is needed. maybe not this upcoming draft or high, but i would take a more reliable TE than chandler.

as for EJ....good win for him, smart ball placement all game. the knock on him this game and it is something that can take time, but needs to be ready to go next season, is that he needs to scan the field better. he drops and throws to his guy. he needs to learn to look some people off.

but his arm strength in the wind was definitely noticable. he was like 2-3 on long passes and the two went for TD's. the third would have as well.
                    Gronk has dropped some balls this year as well. Chandler has played with a NUMBER of different QB's this year as have ALL the receivers on the team.

The Bills also drafted Gragg last year. If a TE like Gronk or Graham or Gonzalez is available, great draft him, otherwise I say forget the TE position in the draft.

The Bills have other more pressing needs than TE or receiver.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

the bills have a huge need to get a big receiver. that will improve woods, goodwin, and 7-11. Easley and Graham are junk. Easley is fine as a ST, but that's it. Graham sucks. that touchdown was his first of the season and he is being billed as a number 2. Woods has him beat.

The bills needs a 6'3 receiver who is a big build. if there is a can't miss guy in the first, i honestly, wouldn't mind the bills going with him.

Chandler has dropped too many 3rd and short this season. he's the only big body we have at receivers and he isn't reliable.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                        • Aug 2004

Graham won't be the #2 receiver very long. I think Woods, Goodwin can easily unseat him next year, if not already (Woods). I know everyone crying about a true #1 receiver, but that's a very difficult proposition, much like franchise QB. You look around the league, how many you will consider to be a true #1 receiver that you can go to every down that demands double team from defense every time? Sure, when you have a chance, grab him in the draft. But to say use a first round pick and you'll get a #1 receiver is far from the truth. On the other hand, if you use a 1st round pick on a G/OLB/TE, in almost every draft you come up with a day 1 starter.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                          Graham won't be the #2 receiver very long. I think Woods, Goodwin can easily unseat him next year, if not already (Woods). I know everyone crying about a true #1 receiver, but that's a very difficult proposition, much like franchise QB. You look around the league, how many you will consider to be a true #1 receiver that you can go to every down that demands double team from defense every time? Sure, when you have a chance, grab him in the draft. But to say use a first round pick and you'll get a #1 receiver is far from the truth. On the other hand, if you use a 1st round pick on a G/OLB/TE, in almost every draft you come up with a day 1 starter.
                          I agree, Graham is not a #2 WR, BUT he does have the speed to make him a weapon to keep in the arsenal.

You want to loosen up a defense? Put Graham & Goodwin on the field together & send them both deep.

Marrone said " We have two guys that can run by people. Most teams don't have that & we have two."

Graham will be a part of this team at least while his rookie contract is in place.

Comment

• The King
                            Without me it's just Awe so
                            • Jun 2004

That Goodwin pass carried 50 yards in the air, that was incredible.
                            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                            It was all
                            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Jry44
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post

He threw the ball to 9 different receivers yesterday. That's not by not scanning the field. Plenty of those were 2nd and 3rd reads.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

As for Chandler, I couldn't agree with you more.

Comment

Working...
                              X