PDA

View Full Version : The intangible EJ lacks (possibly)

imbondz
11-18-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't want this to be a bash EJ thread cuz I'm still hopeful he turns into a great QB. I like him, and think he's a very good kid. The juries out exactly on if he's a franchise QB or not. My issue with him that I see is a lack of fire. Even when he's confident, standing in the pocket, he has this lackadaisical attitude it seems. Almost too laid back. It comes across to me like he's either not fully into it, or lacks that leadership quality needed. Maybe I'm just reading into it, and he's still too fresh and new in the league and still figuring it all out. But I felt that way even yesterday. Not exactly sure I'm even explaining it well.

Anyone else see this or is it just me?

Skooby
11-18-2013, 08:58 AM
He Looked pretty fired up yesterday.

Thief
11-18-2013, 09:07 AM
No I've seen it, I'm just not sure it's bad. He acts like he has done it before.

better days
11-18-2013, 09:07 AM
I think it is just you.

Did everyone see the pose he made after that one TD when he was standing on the sidelines?

There is no question EJ is a LEADER.

Jaybird
11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I think it is just you.

Did everyone see the pose he made after that one TD when he was standing on the sidelines?

After reading the post, that pose came to mind.. it was after the bobm to Goodwin.

HAMMER
11-18-2013, 09:42 AM
What you see is poise, it is a very good intangible, don't misread it.

Bill Cody
11-18-2013, 09:43 AM
My issue with him that I see is a lack of fire. Even when he's confident, standing in the pocket, he has this lackadaisical attitude it seems. Almost too laid back.

If he can be consistent throwing the ball he's going he's going to be good. If he can't he won't. That's it. There are a lot of different personalities that can win, not worried about that.

Ed
11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
I think he has a calmness to him when he's on the field, but you can definitely tell he's fired up after big plays and TD's, so I would never say he lacks fire. I just see a guy with a lot of poise and maturity. Whether or not he ends up being a great qb is another matter.

trapezeus
11-18-2013, 10:17 AM
i said this elsewhere, look at the way nothing is really too low for him. in his second game against the panthers, hehad a average to below average game for the most part. other qb's would have hung their head. He hung in there and got the ball with 1:30 seconds and had a bad game up until then. then he drove the field.

Look at last week in a losing effort, he never walked off the field with the head down or the famous sanchez (pulling of his shoulder pads) when he's have a terrible game. he kept coming out there looking to score. That's just to show you he isn't easily defeated and a good thing to have.

i think it's an intangible that gives him the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time.

i'm not saying he's jim kelly, but kelly would throw an interception, look upset for about 3 seconds and then would come out like nothing happened. In the games he did sulk, super bowl 2, he just looked horrible the whole time.

Poise matters.

WagonCircler
11-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I think it is just you.

So now posing = leadership?

Wow. We're doomed.

BidsJr
11-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Watch his press conferences. He is dead serious about what he is responsible for and what he wants to accomplish. Whether he gets there or not won't be because of lack of desire/fire. He clearly "wants" it.

better days
11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
So now posing = leadership?

Wow. We're doomed.

NO posing does not = leadership.

But is just shows EJ has a competitiveness & ego that a QB must have.

You just have to listen to EJ talk, hear any interview of him to KNOW he is a LEADER.

And MANY Bills players have come out & said EJ is a great leader as well.

imbondz
11-18-2013, 11:05 AM
No I've seen it, I'm just not sure it's bad. He acts like he has done it before.

Hopefully that's it

WagonCircler
11-18-2013, 11:08 AM
NO posing does not = leadership.

But is just shows EJ has a competitiveness & ego that a QB must have.

He did that by throwing the pass.

Posing makes him look like a punk.

Lone Stranger
11-18-2013, 11:17 AM
He looked very composed to me and well prepared for what was going on. The results not his demeanor is what is important.

Meathead
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
i pump my chest after every post so i know exactly what youre talking about

better days
11-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Seriously? You think that pose makes him look like a punk?

I am an old man & I don't think so.

sukie
11-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Is it the look a confident QB has when approachint the line. The look Marion, Kelly, Elway had. Teh look Brady, Rodgers, and Manning (Peyton) have.

The steely eyed looking over the D like I am gonna shred you look.... especially late in games or slightly behind.

Is it that look ?

TedMock
11-18-2013, 01:29 PM

It didn't look that way at all. It looked like he was having fun. Nothing more.

imbondz
11-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Is it the look a confident QB has when approachint the line. The look Marion, Kelly, Elway had. Teh look Brady, Rodgers, and Manning (Peyton) have.

The steely eyed looking over the D like I am gonna shred you look.... especially late in games or slightly behind.

Is it that look ?

Nope. Not that. More of a, 'I wonder what'll happen if I fling it here' look. But hopefully it's poise and I'm misreading it.

sukie
11-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Nope. Not that. More of a, 'I wonder what'll happen if I fling it here' look. But hopefully it's poise and I'm misreading it.

That ois the look he has. I was pointing to the intangible look he doesn't yet have.

WagonCircler
11-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Seriously? You think that pose makes him look like a punk?

I am an old man & I don't think so.

I think posing makes any man look like a punk.

Posing is for pinup girls.

imbondz
11-18-2013, 03:42 PM
That ois the look he has. I was pointing to the intangible look he doesn't yet have.

oh. lol

X-Era
11-18-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't want this to be a bash EJ thread cuz I'm still hopeful he turns into a great QB. I like him, and think he's a very good kid. The juries out exactly on if he's a franchise QB or not. My issue with him that I see is a lack of fire. Even when he's confident, standing in the pocket, he has this lackadaisical attitude it seems. Almost too laid back. It comes across to me like he's either not fully into it, or lacks that leadership quality needed. Maybe I'm just reading into it, and he's still too fresh and new in the league and still figuring it all out. But I felt that way even yesterday. Not exactly sure I'm even explaining it well.

Anyone else see this or is it just me?Losman had fire...

Mouldsie
11-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I have no problem with his demeanor or leadership.... it's more his accuracy, unwillingness to let it rip more often (insert fart joke), and that he hasn't yet developed the ability to consistently throw players open or anticipate what is going to develop before it does.

He played very well yesterday.

Mace
11-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Posing is for pinup girls.

You've never seen me pose, Mister, it's stunning.

Er, anyway, he's poised and controlled at this point. He ran the 2 minute offense with urgency in his comeback win, was emotional when drafted and with his dad postgame and even at the podium, so he's not incapable of it. Seems to me he looks at the game as Taking Care of Business.

It's a little hard to judge, because they went from lightning tempo (stressing urgency and fast) before he got hurt, to slower now (work through your reads for the best choice), with time off watching in the middle.

At this point, poised and controlled is probably a good thing, a defense mechanism against overwhelmed. Newton was too anguished as a rookie, Smith looks not poised, Brady was always unemotional in a good way though it being the Pats was infuriating, Alex Smith even...with the Bills, Trent Edwards was the perfect example of bad not emotional, so distant he sat by himself at the end of the bench between plays, with a sense of urgency so stunted that he scrambled out of bounds when he went to Jacksonville on something like 4th and 8, with an obvious hail mary called, to gain 2, on the last play of the game which would have gotten them into the playoffs.

Marrone said previously that Manuel is too calm. But I sort of remember the occasionally fired up Jim Kelly standing next to Levy calmly and obliviously sipping gatorade while Levy was frothing, spitting and throwing his headset, obviously screaming. Was probably good Marv wasn't headed in there next series.

If it were up to me, I like the Taking Care of Business players, they've been there, done that, intend to again and don't get rattled when things get bad.

Just doesn't really have a big enough NFL body of work to really know yet though. But he's a rookie QB learning offenses and defenses in a league built on veteran savvy and experience, in a leadership position where he's going to need our veterans to see him as a driving force to unrattle others. I'm guessing he's just getting a feel for the job while learning it at this point. Higher highs mean lower lows though right now when he's likely to see both.

A few more games....I'm sure we all aren't even so certain he'll stay healthy.

YardRat
11-19-2013, 05:28 AM
I like the fact that he looks confident and poised most of the time, and only shows some fire after a big play. He looks very business-like, and doesn't showboat...that's a good thing.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 05:32 AM

Posing is for pinup girls.At least he didn't do the Heisman pose.