PDA

View Full Version : Stevie is a little needy

Skooby
11-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Stevie is always looking for the ball & is calling for it every play, which is my opinion limits EJ. One stat that had stuck out to me during our last game is how diverse EJ's targets became, 7 different WR targeted & completed at one point. I'll assure you that with Stevie on the field, there is no way EJ had any decent yardage completed to anyone but Stevie. TJ / Easley were in the top 10 of fantasy numbers for most of the day on Sunday as well.

Crisis
11-19-2013, 01:26 AM
It's amazing how fast people turn on players here. We can't hate on Byrd after this week so let's go after Stevie.

Unreal.

Skooby
11-19-2013, 01:32 AM
It's amazing how fast people turn on players here. We can't hate on Byrd after this week so let's go after Stevie.

Unreal.

EJ had more yardage to multiple receivers in this game than any other he had that I recall, Stevie is needy in multiple ways including attention.

Crisis
11-19-2013, 01:36 AM
EJ had more yardage to multiple receivers in this game than any other he had that I recall, Stevie is needy in multiple ways including attention.

What the hell does that even mean? Were you complaining when he threw for almost 300 vs Carolina and Stevie had over 100 of those?

Calvin Johnson takes up most of Stafford's yardage, clearly Megatron is too needy.

Stevie is an attention whore but you're complaining about him getting too much yardage?

Skooby
11-19-2013, 01:46 AM
What the hell does that even mean? Were you complaining when he threw for almost 300 vs Carolina and Stevie had over 100 of those?

Calvin Johnson takes up most of Stafford's yardage, clearly Megatron is too needy.

Stevie is an attention whore but you're complaining about him getting too much yardage?

Megaton may be the best all-around WR ever, so comparing them or even putting them in the same sentence shows how far off base you're looking at this. Stevie wouldn't be a #1 on any other team than Buffalo. Stevie is a gimmick guy for medium routes at the longest, he won't be a deep threat. Out of the slot, he'd be fine but not as a featured WR. Woods & Summer also had longer Avg yards per catch that game, just to be clear here:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013091502/2013/REG2/panthers@bills

Crisis
11-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Megaton may be the best all-around WR ever, so comparing them or even putting them in the same sentence shows how far off base you're looking at this. Stevie wouldn't be a #1 on any other team than Buffalo. Stevie is a gimmick guy for medium routes at the longest, he won't be a deep threat. Out of the slot, he'd be fine but not as a featured WR. Woods & Summer also had longer Avg yards per catch that game, just to be clear here:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013091502/2013/REG2/panthers@bills

I'm not comparing him and Megatron, just showing how stupid your logic is and how far you're reaching for criticism.

Stevie is a huge attention whore with untimely drops, but not having him on the field doesn't make EJ better. EJ had a successful game without Stevie, it doesn't mean having Stevie on the field hurts him. I've never once seen Stevie complain to the media about not being targetted (maybe he has, I've never seen it) the same way that Mike Wallace does, for example.

What the hell is even your point with the Carolina game? Stevie is a slot possession WR who keeps the chains moving. Obviously his usage is different than a guy who caught a 30 yard screen pass and Woods.

Skooby
11-19-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm not comparing him and Megatron, just showing how stupid your logic is and how far you're reaching for criticism.

Stevie is a huge attention whore with untimely drops, but not having him on the field doesn't make EJ better. EJ had a successful game without Stevie, it doesn't mean having Stevie on the field hurts him. I've never once seen Stevie complain to the media about not being targetted (maybe he has, I've never seen it) the same way that Mike Wallace does, for example.

What the hell is even your point with the Carolina game? Stevie is a slot possession WR who keeps the chains moving. Obviously his usage is different than a guy who caught a 30 yard screen pass and Woods.

Stevie needs to be the 2nd or 3rd guy targeted, not #1. We're paying him #1 money & playing him as our featured WR, which is not tenable. He will probably be traded away this off-season, mark my words here that he will not be here next year.

stuckincincy
11-19-2013, 02:22 AM

Unreal.

Yes...parallel universes on a weekly basis here. Lewis Caroll's Through the Looking Glass should be required reading.

Skooby
11-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Yes...parallel universes on a weekly basis here. Lewis Caroll's Through the Looking Glass should be required reading.

Just to be clear here, Stevie being featured as a #1 WR in the NFL is a complete joke to every paying fan of the team. He's unreliable & selfish in his short passing route play, which is the opposite of what makes you a #1. I'm not turning on him, I've never been that impressed with him or his antics. Real #1 WR let their play on the field speak for them, at any position for that matter.

Crisis
11-19-2013, 02:32 AM
Is Stevie elite? No.

Is he a servicable #1 WR? Yes.

He can be unreliable in the sense that he has some drop problems, but he's also extremely consistent and while having an off year right now with the qb carousel and injuries, he's a lock for 75/1000 otherwise. I don't even know what being "selfish in his short passing route play" means. I guess being open makes you selfish?

I'd say Marquise Goodwin being the #1 WR of a team is a slap in the face to paying fans, but people seem to be in love with that idea because he had one good day vs a secondary that just signed a guy who was released for playing awful and is starting him a few days later.

Skooby
11-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Is Stevie elite? No.

Is he a servicable #1 WR? Yes.

He can be unreliable in the sense that he has some drop problems, but he's also extremely consistent and while having an off year right now with the qb carousel and injuries, he's a lock for 75/1000 otherwise. I don't even know what being "selfish in his short passing route play" means. I guess being open makes you selfish?

I'd say Marquise Goodwin being the #1 WR of a team is a slap in the face to paying fans, but people seem to be in love with that idea because he had one good day vs a secondary that just signed a guy who was released for playing awful and is starting him a few days later.

Serviceable? Do you want to win or keep missing the playoffs every year? Goodwin getting open is a result of his amazing speed, this is his first year remember so I'd give it a rest.

Crisis
11-19-2013, 02:47 AM
Yes, Stevie Johnson is the reason we're not a perennial playoff team. Definitely not having any kind of consistent QB play since Bledsoe.

He's completely serviceable. Ideally hes not the #1 but you're suggesting to get rid of him when we literally have nothing to replace him with.

Skooby
11-19-2013, 02:55 AM
Yes, Stevie Johnson is the reason we're not a perennial playoff team. Definitely not having any kind of consistent QB play since Bledsoe.

He's completely serviceable. Ideally hes not the #1 but you're suggesting to get rid of him when we literally have nothing to replace him with.

No I'm telling you we will not keep him in Buffalo at his current pay level. I haven't even mentioned his inability to stay healthy & please don't go into the he never misses a game scenario, playing hurt doesn't necessarily mean you're helping the team. We need to draft a true #1, I'd be willing to bet that's our first pick this year. That'll spell the end of the Stevie experiment, an overpaid leftover from the previous regime.

Crisis
11-19-2013, 03:48 AM
According to http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR, he's 30th in guaranteed money per year and 22nd in average per year, 15th in salary cap hit. That's pretty good value considering this contract was his first pay day.

Overpaid? No.

SquishDaFish
11-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Im really starting to believe you are ******ed :shortbus:

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Stevie is always looking for the ball & is calling for it every play, which is my opinion limits EJ. One stat that had stuck out to me during our last game is how diverse EJ's targets became, 7 different WR targeted & completed at one point. I'll assure you that with Stevie on the field, there is no way EJ had any decent yardage completed to anyone but Stevie. TJ / Easley were in the top 10 of fantasy numbers for most of the day on Sunday as well.HaHaHa. Most receivers want the ball and they are always open. This has been true for as long as their QBs have been talking to the press and before. It's up to the QB and coaching staff to disregard their pleas unless they ARE open. The QB goes through his progressions and even if Johnson is the primary on a play, he doesn't throw it unless he's open. It's part of the maturation of the quarterback and even though he's a rookie, I'm pretty sure E.J. knows this already.

I know message boards are the place for knee jerk reactions and ridiculous theories, but this one is orbiting Uranus.....or maybe up it.

Skooby
11-19-2013, 06:56 AM
HaHaHa. Most receivers want the ball and they are always open. This has been true for as long as their QBs have been talking to the press and before. It's up to the QB and coaching staff to disregard their pleas unless they ARE open. The QB goes through his progressions and even if Johnson is the primary on a play, he doesn't throw it unless he's open. It's part of the maturation of the quarterback and even though he's a rookie, I'm pretty sure E.J. knows this already.

I know message boards are the place for knee jerk reactions and ridiculous theories, but this one is orbiting Uranus.....or maybe up it.

This was really funny.

pmoon6
11-19-2013, 06:58 AM
This was really funny.Thank you, I try.

alnilla
11-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Stevie is always looking for the ball & is calling for it every play, which is my opinion limits EJ. One stat that had stuck out to me during our last game is how diverse EJ's targets became, 7 different WR targeted & completed at one point. I'll assure you that with Stevie on the field, there is no way EJ had any decent yardage completed to anyone but Stevie. TJ / Easley were in the top 10 of fantasy numbers for most of the day on Sunday as well.

First off every receiver on that field is looking for the ball and wants the ball to go their way every play. Second it was TJ/ and GOODWIN not Easley. Third Go do something instead of posting stupid ass **** on a bills msg board

better days
11-19-2013, 07:10 AM

So you are saying Stevie is like you, needy in multiple ways including attention.

Skooby
11-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Looking at the Average yards per reception, Stevie is #83 in the league. In total yards he's 56th & in total reception he's 46th. I focus on Average yards per reception as the thing that moves the ball more down the field than anything & Stevie is not going to help you move the ball that far compared to the rest of the league's #1. He's at the low end of the rung, like near the bottom. I know you guys would like to win, so I'd start weighing these facts into play when fielding a featured guy as a #1 WR.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receptions/qualified/false/count/41

ThunderGun
11-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Stevie is a gimmick guy for medium routes at the longest, he won't be a deep threat. Out of the slot, he'd be fine but not as a featured WR. Woods & Summer also had longer Avg yards per catch that game, just to be clear here:

I just hate those gimmicky guys with their medium routes. We need another guy who can run 40 yards downfield every play. The only way we will every help our rookie QB develop is if we have no receivers withing 30 yards of the line of scrimmage. I'm sure our OLine will also be much happier when they have to hold their blocks for 5 seconds on every play, because all of our WR's are streaking down the field.

bf1
11-19-2013, 12:21 PM
I've been saying it for a long time. I hate Stevie's body language during games. Acts like a baby.

mayotm
11-19-2013, 01:06 PM
He's not half as needy as you are Skooby.

justasportsfan
11-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Stevie is always looking for the ball & is calling for it every play, which is my opinion limits EJ.

same sources that told you we were drafting Nassib with our 1st pick?

BertSquirtgum
11-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Stevie needs to be the 2nd or 3rd guy targeted, not #1. We're paying him #1 money & playing him as our featured WR, which is not tenable. He will probably be traded away this off-season, mark my words here that he will not be here next year.

Dumb skooby dumb skooby dumb dumb dumb dumb. DUMB

Mouldsie
11-19-2013, 09:12 PM
I hate how Stevie plays through injuries and doesn't shy away from contact either, I mean, stop hurting your team by playing in pain and if you don't start alligator arming passes you might have to sue the NFL in 40 years!!! DURP

GvilleBills
11-19-2013, 09:34 PM
When you feel the need to start a thread every other hour, they can't all be winners.
Stevie hate is delusional.

Skooby
12-01-2013, 06:16 PM
We need him now, head case & all.

bf1
12-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Sucks balls..

BertSquirtgum
12-08-2013, 06:10 PM
He blows.

Skooby
12-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Anymore babysitting needed?

BertSquirtgum
12-08-2013, 08:34 PM
He sucks and the Bills need him because sadly he's the best receiver on the team. They can't afford to let him go or trade him until someone better is on the team.

Skooby
12-08-2013, 09:02 PM
He sucks and the Bills need him because sadly he's the best receiver on the team. They can't afford to let him go or trade him until someone better is on the team.

He's the reason we can't get out of our own way, calling plays as a top WR when he's a decent 2nd stringer at best. Our first pick needs to be a monster WR & trade Stevie away for a 2nd pick.

HAMMER
12-09-2013, 01:49 PM
SJ is a mental midget, lacks work ethic, has short arms, a really bad groin, but worst of all he can't take responsibility for his mistakes. Time to move on, send the message Marrone, cut his azz.

Skooby
12-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Still needy.

BertSquirtgum
12-15-2013, 04:08 PM
He still sucks

Skooby
12-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Funny thing is, I posted this about a month ago & now it looks all too real. Lets look for the realities ongoing versus snowing ourselves.

Dr. Lecter
12-16-2013, 06:50 PM
He still sucks

He might not be a true #1 WR. but saying he "sucks" is beyond stupid.

Mouldsie
12-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Funny thing is, I posted this about a month ago & now it looks all too real. Lets look for the realities ongoing versus snowing ourselves.
Needy because his Mom died? Nice call.

BertSquirtgum
12-17-2013, 01:19 AM
Needy because his Mom died? Nice call.

This thread was made way before his mom died. You say this message board has declined but then add to the stupidity. Great work.

Dr. Lecter
12-17-2013, 04:51 AM
That is not what he said. He was responding to Mitch saying that his point was proven.

So, once again, it is not him contributing to the stupidity but the people that are not intelligent enough to read what he wrote that contribute to the stupidity.

BertSquirtgum
12-17-2013, 12:34 PM
That is not what he said. He was responding to Mitch saying that his point was proven.

So, once again, it is not him contributing to the stupidity but the people that are not intelligent enough to read what he wrote that contribute to the stupidity.

You are wrong

Skooby
12-17-2013, 01:06 PM
It's called foresight, not stupidity.

Dr. Lecter
12-17-2013, 01:16 PM
You are wrong

Nope.

Mouldsie was responding to Skooby's post made yesterday where he patted himself on the back.

But whatever makes you happy.

Skooby
12-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Nope.

Mouldsie was responding to Skooby's post made yesterday where he patted himself on the back.

But whatever makes you happy.

I deserved to get patted after everyone ripped me & now see that I was right. I'm really sorry about Stevie's Mom but his play has been self-serving ongoing & it's not just about him (even though he thinks it is).

ThunderGun
12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
I deserved to get patted after everyone ripped me & now see that I was right. I'm really sorry about Stevie's Mom but his play has been self-serving ongoing & it's not just about him (even though he thinks it is).

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43934896.jpg

pmoon6
12-17-2013, 02:45 PM
I deserved to get patted after everyone ripped me & now see that I was right. I'm really sorry about Stevie's Mom but his play has been self-serving ongoing & it's not just about him (even though he thinks it is).:rofl: Continue with the idiotfest.

Lecter, you should actually charge to have people read some of these guys posts. Better than Lewis Black in concert.

Beebe's Kid
12-18-2013, 01:45 AM
What an awful thread. Wow. I am pissed that I read that. It was like watching a car wreck, but I didn't look away. I have to say it again; wow.

Stevie is not that good. He is the best receiver on this team, or so he tells us. I don't know if anybody is better.

This team is doing what it can, and the fans follow the set up. This guy is that, but not this, her runs here, but lacks that...everybody is a scout. The truth is that if Stevie caught the ball, we would be one of the top receivers in the league. He doesn't...that is a problem with his job.

The #1 vs good slot guy, whatever. Stevie has looked like he could be the best receiver on a team, and may he was; I don't know. I just know that isn't good enough. You need to catch more footballs, or you need to make the ones that you don't drop the big plays. I mean, don't you?

pmoon6
12-18-2013, 07:38 AM
I always had a problem with the "Number One" Receiver crap. If you run a three receiver set, you have an X, Y, and Z receiver. No one is number 1. Who was the #1 on the Bills in the '90's? Lofton, Reed or Beebe? The answer is none of the above. They all had specific functions in the offense.

Skooby
12-18-2013, 08:31 AM
I always had a problem with the "Number One" Receiver crap. If you run a three receiver set, you have an X, Y, and Z receiver. No one is number 1. Who was the #1 on the Bills in the '90's? Lofton, Reed or Beebe? The answer is none of the above. They all had specific functions in the offense.

Reed & he should be in the hall.

gebobs
12-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Who was the #1 on the Bills in the '90's? Lofton, Reed or Beebe?
Certainly Reed though the offense didn't depend chiefly on Reed as they had Johnson in the past few seasons.

But the point is clear. Johnson IS our #1. At least he was until Morone decided to go field a team with two rookie QBs, one of whom should have been happy to land in arena football. Fitz was awful but at least he found ways to get the ball to Johnson. Manuel, ever so brief flashes of competence aside, looks bewildered. I know he's a rookie, but for crap sake, Trent Edwards looked better.

Johnson shouldn't be a #1. He doesn't have game-change talent. He's got a solid case of the yips. He can't handle the pressure when you need your #1 to be on his game. Johnson needs someone to supplant him as #1. The Bills need someone to supplant him as #1. The sooner they do, the sooner they will succeed, with or without Johnson on the roster.

Skooby
12-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Certainly Reed though the offense didn't depend chiefly on Reed as they had Johnson in the past few seasons.

But the point is clear. Johnson IS our #1. At least he was until Morone decided to go field a team with two rookie QBs, one of whom should have been happy to land in arena football. Fitz was awful but at least he found ways to get the ball to Johnson. Manuel, ever so brief flashes of competence aside, looks bewildered. I know he's a rookie, but for crap sake, Trent Edwards looked better.

Johnson shouldn't be a #1. He doesn't have game-change talent. He's got a solid case of the yips. He can't handle the pressure when you need your #1 to be on his game. Johnson needs someone to supplant him as #1. The Bills need someone to supplant him as #1. The sooner they do, the sooner they will succeed, with or without Johnson on the roster.

Brilliant post & true, IMO Stevie won't play for the Bills again either.

Mouldsie
12-18-2013, 09:23 PM

You mean, it's good to add talent to teams?

Skooby
12-18-2013, 09:36 PM
You mean, it's good to add talent to teams?

Try addition by subtraction.

Mouldsie
12-18-2013, 11:09 PM
I was all for trading for Josh Gordon. Stevie would destroy #2 CB's

Of course I would also run a spread offense going 3 wide as base and Woods/Goodwin would have to rotate for some snaps until they both prove they are more productive long term

pmoon6
12-19-2013, 04:12 AM
Reed & he should be in the hall.Reed made his living over the middle. Is he open if Beebe or Lofton isn't going deep? Is he going to have all those yards after the catch? The same with Thurman and all his total yards from scrimmage.

It was one of the greatest offenses of all time because it was a "pick your poison" deal. Leave Lofton single covered and he's probably going to burn you. Same with Beebe.

The "Number 1" receiver tag is nothing more than a media tool to pimp players and for agents to use in negotiations. It has no relevance on the field. Too bad the bulk of NFL fans buy into the hype probably because they wouldn't know a football if it bit them in the ass.

P.S. Reed should be in the Hall, but so should many other players. The machinations of the committee leave it a difficult road for Andre. We used to have a strong Bills' advocate in Larry Felser. He was respected league wide and was responsible for getting Billy Shaw and Joe DeLammiluere (sp) elected. Buffalo no longer has that.

pmoon6
12-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Brilliant post & true, IMO Stevie won't play for the Bills again either.:rofl: It's only a "brilliant" post because he agrees with you.

Skooby
01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Chris Brown on WGR radio said the staff has been trying to get Stevie to buy into the new reality of being a Bill and the coaches aren't sure they will be able to do this. It sounded like he was strongly hinting that Stevie is a "me first" type of player and he wouldn't commit to Stevie being on the team come July but he said it is up to the coaching staff to work this out.

A month & a half later, you hear it from Chris Brown. It's been at this point when I posted it privately, you're now hearing about it in the news. Don't shoot the messenger is the new message.

Skooby
01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43934896.jpg

Funny reading these now.

- - - Updated - - -

:rofl: It's only a "brilliant" post because he agrees with you.

It is what it is.

OpIv37
01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Without reading through this whole thread:

Stevie isn't a "little needy." He's a full-on man-child. He wants all the benefits and glory of being an NFL receiver and credit when the team wins, but he doesn't want any of the responsibility when the team loses or when his immaturity hurts the team.

It's a shame, because he has a lot of talent and he seems to be smarter than your average dumb jock football player. But he just wants to screw around all the time and he can't handle pressure.

This team will never win with him as the #1 WR. If we ever get back to the playoffs, or have a "win and in" game late in the season, I guarantee he'll Ronnie Harmon us.

Buffalogic
01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
There's nothing wrong with Stevie, he is the player that he is. A good player. As soon as some people get realistic expectations about his production levels, the less angry the haters will be. All 32 teams in the NFL would have a spot for Stevie's talent. We just have to recognize that he is just one piece, and shouldn't be the main piece. Bring larger, faster receivers in and let Stevie be a nice possession receiver that could move around the line of scrimmage and play in any WR spot.

OpIv37
01-03-2014, 02:53 PM
There's nothing wrong with Stevie, he is the player that he is. A good player. As soon as some people get realistic expectations about his production levels, the less angry the haters will be. All 32 teams in the NFL would have a spot for Stevie's talent. We just have to recognize that he is just one piece, and shouldn't be the main piece. Bring larger, faster receivers in and let Stevie be a nice possession receiver that could movement around the line of scrimmage and play in any WR spot.

That's the problem though. This team isn't going to do that while they have so much money committed to Stevie. They think they have their #1 guy and they don't.

I agree that people expect more out of Stevie than Stevie is capable of, but the reality is that either Stevie finds a way to live up to those unrealistic expectations or we will keep getting the same results on the field. It's the same reason I was hypercritical of Vanek when he was on the Sabres: the org unfairly made him the #1 guy, so either he had to play like a #1 guy or the team would lose. We saw how that worked out.

Buffalogic
01-03-2014, 03:00 PM
No doubt OP, just gotta hope that the team figures it out and drafts the WR we need and not another useless munchkin. I was beating the Floyd drum hard a few years ago. He would have helped this team more than Gilmore. Another bills fail.

Skooby
01-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Regardless of the size of the expectations, Stevie isn't playing team ball. This type of information being released is a pre-cursor to an event to come, that's the only reason you heard about it from the team's spokesperson now. It was known months ago in a tight circle & I posted it up on here, getting torn up for it. I'll try to keep you guys informed when I can, just remember that I'm sarcastic by nature.

Mouldsie
01-04-2014, 01:19 AM
That's the problem though. This team isn't going to do that while they have so much money committed to Stevie. They think they have their #1 guy and they don't.

I agree that people expect more out of Stevie than Stevie is capable of, but the reality is that either Stevie finds a way to live up to those unrealistic expectations or we will keep getting the same results on the field. It's the same reason I was hypercritical of Vanek when he was on the Sabres: the org unfairly made him the #1 guy, so either he had to play like a #1 guy or the team would lose. We saw how that worked out.
"So much money"

What's your solution? Draft Mike Evans?

GingerP
01-04-2014, 08:46 AM
What WR isn't "a little needy"? Most are a somewhat flaky, the divas of the NFL.

At the end of the day, it comes down to production. When SJ got his contract, his comparable was Marques Colston. The contracts are very similar, and the production (on average) was similar up until this year. This past year Johnson didn't produce to that level, but he didn't have Drew Brees throwing him the ball either.

Johnson had an off year. His percentage of targets caught was down. He had some key drops. He continued to struggle with nagging injury. However, his level of play up until this year has been good, and poor QB play is an issue you have to take into account. Cutting him saves only $25K on the cap (leaving $8.475M in dead money) and you would have to replace him.

I think the smart move is to hold onto him and see if he bounces back to a level of production that lives up to his contract next year (in terms of cash, next year is the cheapest of his contract - $5.675M). If the QB play improves, I don't think that is out of the question. The Bills aren't hurting for cap room, so keeping him makes sense.

If they do cut him, there is a good chance he goes to a team with better QB play and becomes a Marques Colston-type player again. Then OP will be *****ing how he wouldn't have done that in Buffalo (Woe is us!) after running him out of town.

Skooby
01-04-2014, 10:25 AM
What WR isn't "a little needy"? Most are a somewhat flaky, the divas of the NFL.

At the end of the day, it comes down to production. When SJ got his contract, his comparable was Marques Colston. The contracts are very similar, and the production (on average) was similar up until this year. This past year Johnson didn't produce to that level, but he didn't have Drew Brees throwing him the ball either.

Johnson had an off year. His percentage of targets caught was down. He had some key drops. He continued to struggle with nagging injury. However, his level of play up until this year has been good, and poor QB play is an issue you have to take into account. Cutting him saves only $25K on the cap (leaving $8.475M in dead money) and you would have to replace him.

I think the smart move is to hold onto him and see if he bounces back to a level of production that lives up to his contract next year (in terms of cash, next year is the cheapest of his contract - $5.675M). If the QB play improves, I don't think that is out of the question. The Bills aren't hurting for cap room, so keeping him makes sense.

If they do cut him, there is a good chance he goes to a team with better QB play and becomes a Marques Colston-type player again. Then OP will be *****ing how he wouldn't have done that in Buffalo (Woe is us!) after running him out of town.

Trade him & get value for him, he's not buying into the system & isn't a team player. Is this not clear to everyone here yet ?

Mouldsie
01-05-2014, 01:10 AM
No it's not

OpIv37
01-05-2014, 01:54 AM
"So much money"

What's your solution? Draft Mike Evans?

MY solution? It's not about me- I'm not the one who gets paid millions to figure it out. But it starts with finding a true #1. If that means trading Stevie and starting over, or keeping him and eating the cost of a real #1- I don't know. But we've seen what happens when this team treats Stevie as the #1 and the results aren't pretty. We can either keep doing the same thing and expect different results, or we can accept reality and make a change.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-05-2014, 10:14 AM

yup. a pure receiva diva. but yes, i agree, cutting him makes no sense. if you wanna trade him, that's another story.

Skooby
01-05-2014, 12:51 PM
yup. a pure receiva diva. but yes, i agree, cutting him makes no sense. if you wanna trade him, that's another story.

You don't cut value, you trade to obtain it.

bf1
05-09-2014, 02:17 PM
I've been saying it for a long time. I hate Stevie's body language during games. Acts like a baby.

Later.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Unreal.

Methinks that we are going to deeply regret losing both. Not that our first rounder is a bad choice, but how long before he turns into a number 1 NFL type receiver? I'm thinking 2 or 3 years.

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Later.

Good riddance. I was a big advocate of him but he will never grow up and was always hurt. I think he was too emotionally weak and turned into a baby when games didn't go the right way for him.

Skooby
05-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Good riddance. I was a big advocate of him but he will never grow up and was always hurt. I think he was too emotionally weak and turned into a baby when games didn't go the right way for him.

He sure was needy.

Skooby
05-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Im really starting to believe you are ******ed :shortbus:

Obviously I can pick out dozens of posts here to basically say I told you this because it's how the coaches felt as well & as you see Stevie's gone. Who ******ed now, Whaley or you ?

OpIv37
05-09-2014, 04:26 PM
MY solution? It's not about me- I'm not the one who gets paid millions to figure it out. But it starts with finding a true #1. If that means trading Stevie and starting over, or keeping him and eating the cost of a real #1- I don't know. But we've seen what happens when this team treats Stevie as the #1 and the results aren't pretty. We can either keep doing the same thing and expect different results, or we can accept reality and make a change.

Wow, apparently the Bills' FO agreed with me here. Time to see if we're right.

Even if it doesn't work out, at least they saw the problem and made a change.

Skooby
05-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Wow, apparently the Bills' FO agreed with me here. Time to see if we're right.

Even if it doesn't work out, at least they saw the problem and made a change.Nice.

Skooby
05-10-2014, 03:14 AM
same sources that told you we were drafting Nassib with our 1st pick?

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sully_on_sports/2014/05/watkins-comes-to-town-stevie-exits-.html

"
There was no way Johnson could defer to a rookie at this point in his career. He was no leader, that's for sure. I can't imagine Doug Marrone felt Johnson was any sort of mentor for the young receivers on the squad. He admitted he didn't follow the Bills' off-season training regimen. He always seemed to be hurt. He didn't take the blame after key drops late in the year. I was told privately that Marrone told some of the veteran leaders on the team to set Stevie straight."

kishoph
05-10-2014, 03:35 AM
I think what may have played into it and something that puts me a little at ease about letting Stevie go, is his recurring problems with injuries, specifically his groin. Stevie always seemed to be hurt, to all his credit, he played through much of it, but it seemed to be getting worse every time.

News Flash, WR's are divas that thrive on attention, Stevie was not the first and certainly won't be the last.

Skooby
05-10-2014, 03:42 AM
I think what may have played into it and something that puts me a little at ease about letting Stevie go, is his recurring problems with injuries, specifically his groin. Stevie always seemed to be hurt, to all his credit, he played through much of it, but it seemed to be getting worse every time.

News Flash, WR's are divas that thrive on attention, Stevie was not the first and certainly won't be the last.

The thought of the was heresy several months ago, wasn't it ?

gebobs
05-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Not all of them are. The ones that can get away with it can back it up. Johnson can't.

Historian
05-10-2014, 10:52 AM
channel did a nice montage of all his classic drops last night!

Skooby
05-10-2014, 11:01 AM
channel did a nice montage of all his classic drops last night!
LOL, plenty of footage.

kishoph
05-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Not all of them are. The ones that can get away with it can back it up. Johnson can't.

Wait till the fans get a hold of Mike Williams, Stevie will have seemed like a Monk.