PDA

View Full Version : The Playoff Machine

BertSquirtgum
11-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Have fun. First time I did it, I just guessed who I thought would win and had the Bills win out their games. If my guesses came to fruition and the Bills win out. They become the 6th seed. Pretty cool set up.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Novacane
11-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Interesting. I had the Bills losing the last game to NE and still getting the 6th seed at 8-8

imbondz
11-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I had every away team winning from here on out, and the Bills winning the rest of their games, and we made the 6th seed. lol

imbondz
11-21-2013, 10:17 PM
if the home team wins every game from here on out, and the Bills win the rest of their games, we're a 4 seed, and win the division. hahah. not sure how that's possible, but the Patriots are 9-7 in that scenario too.

imbondz
11-21-2013, 10:18 PM
if every team picked to win that week based on Power Rankings, and we win out, we don't get in.

imbondz
11-21-2013, 10:23 PM
if the home team wins every game from here on out, and the Bills win the rest of their games, we're a 4 seed, and win the division. hahah. not sure how that's possible, but the Patriots are 9-7 in that scenario too.

in this scenario, we'd be playing a home game if we met the Broncos. They'd end up a 5th seed. ahahahha

scartown
11-21-2013, 10:34 PM
http://tinyurl.com/mkhpzge

Hey why not :)

BertSquirtgum
11-21-2013, 10:36 PM
http://tinyurl.com/mkhpzge

Hey why not :)

That would be crazy

imbondz
11-21-2013, 10:44 PM
we'd be playing at NE on the last game of the season for the #2 seed, but according to that, if we lost, we would be knocked out of the playoffs.

IAG
11-22-2013, 07:04 AM
The Tampa game will be huge.

Dr. Lecter
11-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Oh God, Op is going to have an aneurysm when he sees this. </SPAN>

Don't Panic
11-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Oh God, Op is going to have an aneurysm when he sees this.

That got a gut laugh out of me! "There can be no hope! You're wasting time! You should be figuring out who to blame!"

We talked about this in the other thread... that KC game is going to haunt us if we aren't able to go on a run here, and while we may be "better" than a lot of the teams we play, winning 4 in a row to make the NE game meaningful is a tough task.

Thurmal
11-22-2013, 07:44 AM
I messed around with this machine too, and because I'm a big homer, picked the Bills to win out and get the 6th seed. In reality, they're going to lose at least one of the next three "easy" games, then I'll be forced to pull for my second favorite team in the playoffs -- anyone but New England.

OpIv37
11-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Oh God, Op is going to have an aneurysm when he sees this. </SPAN>

Because it's bull****. Like I said before- the word part of this decade+ of fail is anywhere from 4-8 meaningless games at the end of every season because we are already out of the playof hunt.

This ****ing mental masturbation- ****ing inventing damn near impossible scenarios to pretend we are still in it when we aren't- is just rubbing salt in the wounds. It's setting yourself up to be disappointed in this team yet again.

We are 4-7 with 6 AFC losses. We aren't making the playoffs. Just deal with it.

Dr. Lecter
11-22-2013, 07:58 AM
That is not the point.

The idea that it bothers you so much is highly entertaining and confusing.

For somebody who always tells us that you think others get "offended" to easily, you certainly seem to let people having a little fun, that has no impact on you, under your skin pretty easily

BertSquirtgum
11-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Because it's bull****. Like I said before- the word part of this decade+ of fail is anywhere from 4-8 meaningless games at the end of every season because we are already out of the playof hunt.

This ****ing mental masturbation- ****ing inventing damn near impossible scenarios to pretend we are still in it when we aren't- is just rubbing salt in the wounds. It's setting yourself up to be disappointed in this team yet again.

Get a life

OpIv37
11-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Get a life

Lmao- the guy using a web app to invent damn near impossible fake Internet playoff scenarios for a 4-7 team is telling me to get a life....

OpIv37
11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
That is not the point.

The idea that it bothers you so much is highly entertaining and confusing.

For somebody who always tells us that you think others get "offended" to easily, you certainly seem to let people having a little fun, that has no impact on you, under your skin pretty easily

Yeah well it bothers me that my fellow fans keep trying to convince themselves that this team is better than it is. I take football way too seriously.

Dr. Lecter
11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Yeah well it bothers me that my fellow fans keep trying to convince themselves that this team is better than it is. I take football way too seriously.

Rape jokes - OK.

People being optimistic about the Bills - not OK.

Makes tons of sense!

OpIv37
11-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Rape jokes - OK.

People being optimistic about the Bills - not OK.

Makes tons of sense!
I didn't say it wasn't ok- people can do what they want. The fact that I don't like it doesn't mean that it isn't ok for them to do it, just like the fact that some people are offended by rape jokes doesnt give them the right to stop other people from telling them.

But, just like people complaining about rape jokes, I'm going to complain about nonsense playoff scenarios.

BertSquirtgum
11-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I didn't say it wasn't ok- people can do what they want. The fact that I don't like it doesn't mean that it isn't ok for them to do it, just like the fact that some people are offended by rape jokes doesnt give them the right to stop other people from telling them.

But, just like people complaining about rape jokes, I'm going to complain about nonsense playoff scenarios.

You have aids.

imbondz
11-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Listen, if the Broncos, Chiefs and Patriots lose out, we win out, the 2nd seed is ours.

OpIv37
11-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Listen, if the Broncos, Chiefs and Patriots lose out, we win out, the 2nd seed is ours.

That's the only thing I've ever seen on this site that is less realistic than a Discotrish doomsday prediction.

TedMock
11-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Even if by some miracle we win 5 in a row and go 9-7, we will still most likely miss the playoffs. Denver and KC are going from the west, Indy is in from the south, New England is in from the east, Cincy should take the north. That leaves one spot. The North has three teams with as many wins as we do right now. We have lost to two of them. We need the entire AFC North to implode to give us a solid chance. There's a chance, but it's a skinnier version of slim. The other thing is that another team could get in from the North at 8-8 as things sit right now.

Mahdi
11-22-2013, 09:08 AM

But the playoff machine said we can

DesertFox24
11-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Look the AFC has only 5 teams with above 500 record and everyone else is within a game of each other. It is highly unlikely the bills make the playoffs but with the games we have left on the schedule if they can the next 4 in a row we could be 8-7.

Yes they will irrevocably blow it next week against the falcons and probably lose to the bucs making a 500 record impossible, but I am trying to force myself to think I am watching meaningful bills football in December.

Realistically speaking here is how I predict the last 5 games.

Win - Atl
Loss - Bucs
Win - Jags
Win - Phins
Loss - Pats

7-9 at the end of the year and as long as EJ show some sort of consistency then I am totally fine with that.

I have always thought 2014 would be the year we could make a run at the wildcard if we started a rookie QB.

That being said I am hoping we can get to 8-8 or even 9-7 (total dream)

Ed
11-22-2013, 10:28 AM

The Bills have 6 AFC losses, but they've also played 9 AFC games. Everyone else in the hunt for that last WC spot has only played 6 or 7 AFC games except for Baltimore who's played 8, but we already hold the tie-breaker against them so their conference record is irrelevant.

Miami only has 3 AFC losses, but if we beat them we hold the tie-breaker.

The Jets have 5 AFC losses with 5 AFC games to go, all of which are against teams that are competing for that last WC spot too. And division record is the first tie-breaker with them and right now Buffalo and the Jets are both 2-2 in division games.

Pitt, Cleveland, and Tenn. all have 4 AFC losses with 5 AFC games to go each.

San Diego has 5 AFC losses with 5 AFC games to go.

If the Jets and Fins lose this weekend, which is probable, the Bills are 1 game out with 5 to go. It doesn't require impossible scenarios for them to be in it or make it.

OpIv37
11-22-2013, 10:50 AM
It requires us to win out. That alone is an impossible scenario. We are talking about a team that has yet to win back to back games suddenly winning 6 in a row.

Ok, we all know it's not technically impossible. But the possibility is so remote that it's not even worth discussing.

Don't Panic
11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Just win baby!

trapezeus
11-22-2013, 01:29 PM
i'd just like the bills to win the falcons game....then let's see where we are at.

OpIv37
11-22-2013, 01:43 PM
i'd just like the bills to win the falcons game....then let's see where we are at.

You know there are only two ways for this to play out, right?

1. Everything goes our way this week and in the early games next week, then we lose to the Falcons
2. Everything goes our way- including us winning the next 4- until week 17, where we get pummeled by the Pats back ups and miss out on the playoffs by one game, in the most painful and humiliating way possible.

My money's on #1.

stuckincincy
11-22-2013, 02:13 PM
You know there are only two ways for this to play out, right?

1. Everything goes our way this week and in the early games next week, then we lose to the Falcons
2. Everything goes our way- including us winning the next 4- until week 17, where we get pummeled by the Pats back ups and miss out on the playoffs by one game, in the most painful and humiliating way possible.

My money's on #1.

I figure that ATL will get make-up sex from the refs after the Thu. game vs NO. BUF has a mountain to climb.

NO has been awarded "darling" status by the NFL's money mavens, IMO. I see a DEN-NO Superbowl being engineered.

Novacane
11-22-2013, 07:21 PM

But it's not damn near impossible situations OP. I just picked who I thought the favorite would be then had the Bills winning the next 4 and losing to NE. Bills still got the 6 seed at 8-8. The hardest part will be the Bills winning the next 4 very winnable games. In reality they will likely find a way to piss away at least 1.

Novacane
11-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Exactly. If they can beat the Falcons first then the Bucs this will become a lot more fun to play.

BertSquirtgum
11-22-2013, 10:45 PM
It's fun to play regardless. Until they lose one of the next five games. Then, when the playoffs are 100% not possible. It will no longer be fun at all.

Skooby
11-22-2013, 10:59 PM
It requires us to win out. That alone is an impossible scenario. We are talking about a team that has yet to win back to back games suddenly winning 6 in a row.

Ok, we all know it's not technically impossible. But the possibility is so remote that it's not even worth discussing.

Improbable, not impossible.

ParanoidAndroid
11-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Fun is stupid.

The Popcorn
11-23-2013, 07:57 AM

A Ravens and Panthers wins put the Bills 1 game out of the final playoff spot with 5 weeks left. If the Bills win out, I think they're in.

Mr. Pink
11-23-2013, 10:29 AM
After this weekend a 5-6 team will be the 6th seed.

Either the Browns, Titans or Raiders.

I don't think the Jets are beating the Ravens.

Jimbuktu
11-23-2013, 06:21 PM
But it's not damn near impossible situations OP. I just picked who I thought the favorite would be then had the Bills winning the next 4 and losing to NE. Bills still got the 6 seed at 8-8. The hardest part will be the Bills winning the next 4 very winnable games. In reality they will likely find a way to piss away at least 1.

Yeah, I had them in at 8-8 too, and I wasn't picking the other teams to IMPLODE as someone else said. We're already dealing with six-loss teams here. We're not talking about us winning out and five other teams LOSING out. We're talking about those other teams losing one or two games! That's nothing.

All we're saying here is that there is a chance, and you couldn't ask for a better slate of opponents. It is what it is. It's not us going against Denver, Seattle, San Fran, and company here.

BUT BUT BUT, Op is certainly right that the Bills will either just **** up against the Falcons or set themselves up and then get sandblasted by the Pats in week 17. You get the feeling that Bye would be up for grabs still.

Ah well, it's fun to have some hope. The best part is that even if they don't make the playoffs, it seems we're finally -- FINNNNNNALLLLLLLY -- at least pointed in the right direction with a lot of guys locked up and a decent coach in place.

jamze132
11-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Even if we win out, Pittsburgh and Cincinatti have to go 8-8 for us to get in. Don't see both of those teams doing that right now.

Jimbuktu
11-25-2013, 09:35 AM
you mean baltimore? Not cinci. Maybe you meant SD?

Pittsburgh still has to play at Baltimore this Thursday and at Green Bay. There are two, hopefully.

trapezeus
11-25-2013, 03:15 PM
in the NHL there is usually a % chance of making the playoffs website that surfaces around February. is there anything like that for football? i wonder what our odds were before this sunday, and what they are now after the games played.

beat atlanta and let's see if the % move up. Right now, the titans are making the playoffs with a losing record. stranger things have happened....but usually never to buffalo.

Later
11-25-2013, 03:19 PM
in the NHL there is usually a % chance of making the playoffs website that surfaces around February. is there anything like that for football? i wonder what our odds were before this sunday, and what they are now after the games played.

beat atlanta and let's see if the % move up. Right now, the titans are making the playoffs with a losing record. stranger things have happened....but usually never to buffalo.

Check out http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds.

Our odds were at 4.3% going into this week. Should be updated tomorrow with new odds.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Even if we win out, Pittsburgh and Cincinatti have to go 8-8 for us to get in. Don't see both of those teams doing that right now.

No, only one of those teams has to. If Cincy goes 9-7 and Pitt 8-8, Cincy wins the division and we're not competing with them.

Further, if Baltimore wins the tiebreakers over either Pitt or Cincy for the WC but ties with us, then we go because division tiebreakers are applied first.

Historian
11-27-2013, 12:34 PM
All kidding aside...the Bengal game was huge. I knew it was going to bite us.

imbondz
12-02-2013, 01:13 PM
if we win out, and all away teams win the rest of the season, we get the 6th seed. :couch:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/factor/away/results/331222002~1

BillsFever21
12-02-2013, 06:40 PM
We still would've had a outside shot had we not blew the game this weekend. It's basically over unless we win out and dozens of scenarios happen which is unlikely.

We could beat Baltimore if they finish 8-8 but lose their AFC games to the Bengals and the Patriots. If the Steelers finish 8-8 but beat the Dolphins among others we would get the WC along with other teams. It's possible with the games I put in but it's unlikely. We need conference losses by them guys to beat them at the tiebreaker at 8-8.

Basically we need to win out or it's definitely over. Baltimore could easily lose to the Bengals and the Patriots and then the rest could fall into place. The loss this week really killed our chances. Our odds are very slim though that all the games worked out. With how bad everyone is though it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Ravens could lose to them guys and then nobody else finish better then 8-8. With the right losses by them we would get the WC.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Wait, why are we still torturing ourselves with this ****? I would love to see us in the playoffs, but its obvious that the Bills have given up on this season. Its going to be another 6 or 7 win season world without end. Damn!!!!

Meathead
12-02-2013, 06:59 PM
i wonder what our odds were before this sunday, and what they are now after the games played.

http://www.jennifersroberts.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/snowball-in-hell-65344.jpg

bills_7
12-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Does anyone actually know the percentage of our chances at getting in at 8 and 8?

imbondz
12-04-2013, 11:19 PM
The 3-9 Jaquars aren't mathematically out of the playoffs yet. lol.

and it's possible that the 2-10 Texans aren't mathematically out yet either.

alohabillsfan
12-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Omg some of you are soooooo ******edly optimistic it's sad! You actually think this team can win out when it can't even beat the only team that was mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs! Smh
Love the relentless yet uninformed passion!

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2013, 12:12 AM
I don't, it sickens me. The Bills are done and it's all because of that **** hole city in Canada called Toronto.