PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if this is not a definitive sign that Dareus has matured

ghz in pittsburgh
11-22-2013, 01:38 PM
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/21/gerald-mccoy-tampa-bay-buccaneers-pass-rush/

“We just need some consistency,” said Dareus, the third overall pick in 2011. “My coaching staff is being consistent with us and showing us different things and letting us play our techniques. In the previous years, I had two defensive coordinators, two different techniques and I still had to play different positions on the defensive line. It’s kind of just been scattered about. I just like the defense this year. I feel like I could have been doing this earlier, there just wasn’t as much consistency as I was hoping or looking for. We put a good scheme together and played hard, but now we have consistency.
“We’re trying to change the culture here. Not just winning games, but the culture and identity of the team. That’s our main focus right now. The attitude is what we’re looking for right now. If we keep busting our butts the wins will come, we just have to keep working at it.”

To me Dareus is the most improved player this year, more than Aaron Williams. Either Marrone's culture change message really gets through to older players -- yes on this Bills team, Dareus is one of those longer tenured players -- or he's matured to understand what it takes to be an elite, winning NFL player. I believe the latter: he's 24, 3 years in the league, gone through several coaching staff, and probably looked through what those drafted around him have been doing.

better days
11-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Tough call between Dareus & Aaron Williams as to which has improved the most.

MANY on this board were calling Williams a bust before the season started.

Pinkerton Security
11-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Thats because up until this season, he WAS a BUST. CAPITALIZED BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOTCH

Generalissimus Gibby
11-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Could also be that Marcel was affected last year by I don't know say the tragic loss of a brother early in the season. That being said, he is playing very solidly and if we get some help at LB to go with Chuck Norris I mean Kiko and sign Byrd and can stay healthy we are going to be an unholy terror for opposing offenses next year.

justasportsfan
11-22-2013, 03:16 PM
I knida thought Rogers was the most improved before we cut him. He hasn't given up over 200 in a game after the jets game.

The last buffalo fan
11-22-2013, 05:59 PM

:wave: :shy:

Meathead
11-22-2013, 07:30 PM
“We’re trying to change the culture here. Not just winning games, but the culture and identity of the team. That’s our main focus right now. The attitude is what we’re looking for right now. If we keep busting our butts the wins will come, we just have to keep working at it.”

i love me some marcell but this really isnt his words these are coach marrones words coming thru him - which is good of course, just saying its not like we havent heard this coming repeatedly from marrone before marcell came up with it

Mace
11-22-2013, 09:01 PM

You really have to include McKelvin too. Oh I thought he was terrible and unsalvageable and it made me froth at the mouth when they resigned him for beefy bucks. But yanno, he's developing the ball awareness. He always had superb coverage skills without the vaguest clue where the ball was. He'd be on a guy like a cheap suit and the receiver would catch it. But now, he looks like a real cornerback.

Skooby
11-22-2013, 10:56 PM
It's a sign.

Mace
11-23-2013, 12:41 AM
It's a sign.

Ahhh... Baldwin, I mean Murray, but of what ?

I really like a happy Dareus though. When Dareus lets off the grin, I grin and clap also even if I have no idea what he's happy about. It's fun to see a happy Dareus. I never even really know if he's doing good or bad. But if he's grinning it's a good thing.

And yes it's a sign of something, I sure don't know what though, he may have been knocked senseless and thinks he's 5 again being hugged by his teacher who smells nice.

Makes me happy though. I hope he's doing well, I just watch for sideline shots of him grinning. I'd be real happy to see him grinning waving a large trophy.

Maybe he will.

Parzival
11-23-2013, 12:58 AM
The fact that so many players seemed to have turned it around has a lot to do with coaching. We have talented enough players, it'd about time we had coaches who have the ability to put them in positions to succeed.

better days
11-23-2013, 08:48 AM
It's a sign.

..................of GOOD Coaching. (finished your thought for you)

GvilleBills
11-23-2013, 01:00 PM
The fact that so many players seemed to have turned it around has a lot to do with coaching. We have talented enough players, it'd about time we had coaches who have the ability to put them in positions to succeed.

Boo-ya!
Williams was touted as a cb/s tweener out of Texas, but this staff made the move. Williams has never looked so comfortable.

GvilleBills
11-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Dareus was never the bum people tried to stain him as. Its usually a 3yr maturation process on the DL anyway, but 5.5 sacks inside is solid. This year he's getting his beast on for sure, and I'm damn glad he's a Bill.
Regardless of my admitted bias, as Dareus was my favorite pick of all time. :D

ublinkwescore
11-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Dareus and ej were both my favs in their respective drafts. I also wanted Glenn.

GvilleBills
11-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Dareus and ej were both my favs in their respective drafts. I also wanted Glenn.
I was a fan of Cordy, but I never wanted EJ. Having watched him in college a bunch, I had serious reservations about his testicular fortitude. I still do, last week being a real positive for him.

Dareus was my biggest man crush ever, and I was ecstatic when he fell. The elation finally lessened the heartbreak from Pat Willis being picked right in front of us.

Jeff1220
11-23-2013, 05:42 PM

What Grumpy Cat is trying to say, is that while Dareus has indeed matured, this spewing coach-speak to the media is not necessarily indicative of that.

Famous Amos
11-24-2013, 10:13 AM

I'll admit I thought of him as a bust. I felt that he should have made an immediate impact when he got drafted where he got drafted. I guess I was looking for a Ted Washington type player who stuffed up the middle, clogging the middle against the run. It's very encouraging seeing him play at a high level this season. I hope he keeps it up!

Famous Amos
11-24-2013, 10:16 AM
You really have to include McKelvin too. Oh I thought he was terrible and unsalvageable and it made me froth at the mouth when they resigned him for beefy bucks. But yanno, he's developing the ball awareness. He always had superb coverage skills without the vaguest clue where the ball was. He'd be on a guy like a cheap suit and the receiver would catch it. But now, he looks like a real cornerback.

lol ain't that truth! Too often he would run with the WR step with step, and then when the ball arrived, his legs would be cemented in the turf, wouldn't jump up, look for the ball, or even put his hands in between the WRs to break up the pass. This year, not sure wtf the coaches are doing with him, but he seems much more aware, much more aggressive, much more timely.

Mace
11-24-2013, 09:21 PM
lol ain't that truth! Too often he would run with the WR step with step, and then when the ball arrived, his legs would be cemented in the turf, wouldn't jump up, look for the ball, or even put his hands in between the WRs to break up the pass. This year, not sure wtf the coaches are doing with him, but he seems much more aware, much more aggressive, much more timely.

Yes ! It was really weird and noticeable, and aggravating as all heck, like a receiver always being open and not trying to catch it, or a defensive lineman bursting through to the QB but instead of touching him, stopped to look downfield to watch the play unfold, while standing next to the QB, hands on hips.

Had to be coaching I figure, can't imagine why though. I kind of like McKelvin now as a CB. Oh, I had a fit when they resigned him. Oh I wasted a good fit.