PDA

View Full Version : AFC **** pile fighting each other for last Wild Card

K-Gun
11-24-2013, 07:17 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that all of the teams in this big **** pile play each other. These teams are going to cause damage to each other. It will be very interesting to see if Mia or the Jets can move two games up today. They both have tough games ahead of them. At the end of today, the Bills may just be 1 game out of playoff contention.

Here is a list of teams "in the hunt", and the games they have against the other teams "in the hunt" which will cause the losses to pile up one way or the other.

5-5 Miami (Buf, NYJ, Pitt, NYJ)
5-5 NYJ (Bal, Mia, Clev, Mia, Oak)
4-6 Pitts (Clev, Clev, Bal, Mia)
4-6 Clev (Pitts, NYJ, Pitts)
4-6 Bal (NYJ, Pitts)
4-6 Oak (Tenn, NYJ, San)
4-6 San (Oak)
4-6 Tenn (Oak)
4-7 Buf (Mia)

Night Train
11-24-2013, 07:22 AM
What a down year for the NFL, IMO.

Love watching Denver & NO besides my Bills.. but it seems to be a league filled with .500 teams or worse.

The Popcorn
11-24-2013, 07:24 AM
I want to see the Jets and Dolphins lose. Makes it really interesting for a lot of teams.

The Popcorn
11-24-2013, 07:25 AM

Love watching Denver & NO besides my Bills.. but it seems to be a league filled with .500 teams or worse.

Parity at its best.

YardRat
11-24-2013, 07:27 AM
The Bills are still too young to make a push, but, hey...stranger things have happened.

stuckincincy
11-24-2013, 07:28 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that all of the teams in this big **** pile play each other. These teams are going to cause damage to each other. It will be very interesting to see if Mia or the Jets can move two games up today. They both have tough games ahead of them. At the end of today, the Bills may just be 1 game out of playoff contention.

Here is a list of teams "in the hunt", and the games they have against the other teams "in the hunt" which will cause the losses to pile up one way or the other.

5-5 Miami (Buf, NYJ, Pitt, NYJ)
5-5 NYJ (Bal, Mia, Clev, Mia, Oak)
4-6 Pitts (Clev, Clev, Bal, Mia)
4-6 Clev (Pitts, NYJ, Pitts)
4-6 Bal (NYJ, Pitts)
4-6 Oak (Tenn, NYJ, San)
4-6 San (Oak)
4-6 Tenn (Oak)
4-7 Buf (Mia)

With only 1 opponent on that list, BUF needs charity from others.

K-Gun
11-24-2013, 08:01 AM
With only 1 opponent on that list, BUF needs charity from others.

There are 23 games played between the teams ahead of Buffalo. 23 charity losses are coming. Many of the teams also have monster schedules.

ublinkwescore
11-24-2013, 09:26 AM
My predictions for how this shakes out - and it actually looks pretty good for us until week 17...

NYJ (currently 5-5) - Remaining opponents: @ BAL(L), VS MIA(W) , VS OAK(W), @ CAR(L), VS CLE(L), @ MIA(L) Final record 7-9 = home for January...

MIA (currently 5-5) - Remaining opponents - VS CAR (L), @ NYJ (L), @ PIT (L), VS NE (L) @ BUF (L) VS NYJ (W) Final record 6-10 = home for January..

PIT (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - @ CLE (L), @ BAL (L), VS MIA (W), VS CIN (L), @ GB (L), VS CLE (W) Final record 6-10 = home for January.

CLE (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - VS PIT (W) VS JAX (W), @ NE (L), VS CHI (L), @ NYJ (W) @ PIT (L) Final record 7-9 = home for January...

BAL (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - VS NYJ (W), VS PIT (W), VS MIN (W) @ DET (L), VS NE (W), @ CIN (L) Final record 8-8 = home for January...

OAK (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - VS TEN (W), @ DAL (W because f*** DAL), @ NYJ (L), VS KC (L), @ SD (L), VS DEN (L) Final record 6-10 = home for January...

SD (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - @ KC (L), VS CIN (L), VS NYG (W), @ DEN (L), VS OAK (W), VS KC (L) Final record 6-10 = home for January..

TEN (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - @ OAK (L), @ IND (L), @ DEN (L), VS ARI (W), @ JAX (W), VS HOU (W), Final record 7-9 = home for January...

BUF (currently 4-7) - Remaining opponents - VS ATL (in Toronto - BS - #F***Canada) (W), @ TB (W), @ JAX (W), VS MIA (W), @ NE refusing to predict, however, if the previous predictions play out as predicted, or at least buffalo and baltimore are the only AFC teams to reach.500, we get the 6th wild card... it is actually quite possible, and in fact it happens frequently in today's NFL - see PIT, and NYG...

IlluminatusUIUC
11-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Every major contender has some significant flaw that's been exposed this year. Unlike last year, where it seemed like Denver, San Fran, New England, and Seattle were complete teams by Thanksgiving.

Seattle: Major struggles on the road
San Francisco: Huge regression by Kaepernick
New Orleans: Struggles in cold weather (in the one year we're playing a cold weather Super Bowl lol)
Detroit: Defense generally sucks
Entire NFC East: Sucks

Denver: Defense regressing, lost their best pass blocker for a very immobile QB
New England: Injuries
Kansas City: Horrendous run defense, no downfield game
Indy: Wildly inconsistent
Cincy: Dalton is too weak-armed, defense looks much weaker without Atkins

better days
11-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Every major contender has some significant flaw that's been exposed this year. Unlike last year, where it seemed like Denver, San Fran, New England, and Seattle were complete teams by Thanksgiving.

New Orleans: Struggles in cold weather (in the one year we're playing a cold weather Super Bowl lol)

New England is more than injuries. They lost two HUGE weapons with the loss of Welker & Hernandez.

And Brady is OLD & not the QB he used to be. He did not have the arm to throw the ball to the back of the end zone where Gronk was at in the last game.

Mr. Pink
11-24-2013, 11:35 AM
My predictions for how this shakes out - and it actually looks pretty good for us until week 17...

NYJ (currently 5-5) - Remaining opponents: @ BAL(L), VS MIA(W) , VS OAK(W), @ CAR(L), VS CLE(L), @ MIA(L) Final record 7-9 = home for January...

MIA (currently 5-5) - Remaining opponents - VS CAR (L), @ NYJ (L), @ PIT (L), VS NE (L) @ BUF (L) VS NYJ (W) Final record 6-10 = home for January..

PIT (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - @ CLE (L), @ BAL (L), VS MIA (W), VS CIN (L), @ GB (L), VS CLE (W) Final record 6-10 = home for January.

CLE (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - VS PIT (W) VS JAX (W), @ NE (L), VS CHI (L), @ NYJ (W) @ PIT (L) Final record 7-9 = home for January...

BAL (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - VS NYJ (W), VS PIT (W), VS MIN (W) @ DET (L), VS NE (W), @ CIN (L) Final record 8-8 = home for January...

OAK (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - VS TEN (W), @ DAL (W because f*** DAL), @ NYJ (L), VS KC (L), @ SD (L), VS DEN (L) Final record 6-10 = home for January...

SD (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - @ KC (L), VS CIN (L), VS NYG (W), @ DEN (L), VS OAK (W), VS KC (L) Final record 6-10 = home for January..

TEN (currently 4-6) - Remaining opponents - @ OAK (L), @ IND (L), @ DEN (L), VS ARI (W), @ JAX (W), VS HOU (W), Final record 7-9 = home for January...

BUF (currently 4-7) - Remaining opponents - VS ATL (in Toronto - BS - #F***Canada) (W), @ TB (W), @ JAX (W), VS MIA (W), @ NE refusing to predict, however, if the previous predictions play out as predicted, or at least buffalo and baltimore are the only AFC teams to reach.500, we get the 6th wild card... it is actually quite possible, and in fact it happens frequently in today's NFL - see PIT, and NYG...

All of these teams could end up 7-9. Outside of the Chiefs and Broncos the AFC is weak.

better days
11-24-2013, 11:42 AM
All of these teams could end up 7-9. Outside of the Chiefs and Broncos the AFC is weak.

Well, outside of Seattle & New Orleans, the NFC does not look all that strong either.

Mr. Pink
11-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Well, outside of Seattle & New Orleans, the NFC does not look all that strong either.

Well after today the NFC 6 seed will be 7-4 while the AFC 6 seed will be 5-6.

better days
11-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Well after today the NFC 6 seed will be 7-4 while the AFC 6 seed will be 5-6.

Maybe so, but aside from the Jags, I think on any given Sunday any AFC team could beat any NFC team aside from the Seahawks or Saints.

stuckincincy
11-24-2013, 03:09 PM
There are 23 games played between the teams ahead of Buffalo. 23 charity losses are coming. Many of the teams also have monster schedules.

Eh. BUF has but one game to impact their own fate, according to what you posted - one game against MIA.

That's a tough row to hoe.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-24-2013, 03:44 PM
New England is more than injuries. They lost two HUGE weapons with the loss of Welker & Hernandez.

And Brady is OLD & not the QB he used to be. He did not have the arm to throw the ball to the back of the end zone where Gronk was at in the last game.

All of what you said is true, but they have been even more devastated by injuries this year. They lost Wilfork for the year, and he's got a legitimate claim to being the second best DL in the conference. Their defense was entirely built around him.

Buddo
11-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Eh. BUF has but one game to impact their own fate, according to what you posted - one game against MIA.

That's a tough row to hoe.

Thing is with that, win that game, and we are doing all we can to get there, as it were.
The other aspect that I think you are missing, is that just about all of the other teams, have to play each other - a lot. There's a good deal of room for those teams to lose games against each other, whereas we can just keep winning. A lot of those games are divisional games also, so there will be no 'gimmees' amongst them in a hurry.

Win our next three games, and I'll be very surprised if we aren't very much in the hunt, rather than rank outsiders. I see a lot of the teams in that list, doing damage to each other. An 8-8 record may well be good enough to squeak into the playoffs this year.

JoeMama
11-24-2013, 09:07 PM
5-6 Mia
5-6 NYJ
5-6 Pitt
5-6 Balt
5-6 Tenn
5-6 SD
4-7 Buff
4-7 Clev
4-7 Oak

It's gonna be a real cluster **** for that 6th playoff berth.

TacklingDummy
11-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Bills are going to be 8-8 and win the Super Bowl with Thad Lewis at QB.

ublinkwescore
11-24-2013, 09:29 PM

If we pulled that off, I would put a cardboard cutout of you in my livingroom and sacrifice Virgins to it/in your name.

Typ0
11-24-2013, 09:32 PM

I like our chances!

alohabillsfan
11-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Once again you all are setting yourself up for disappointment fortunately for you it shouldn't take the bills long to remove all doubt of actually being a playoff team. When that happens you can go ahead and invest several days of time wasted developing mock drafts that will give you renewed hope only to be dashed in December, rinse, repeat!

K-Gun
11-28-2013, 07:42 PM
And so it begins, the first of the 9 teams ahead of the Bills fall. Raiders to 4-8.

The Steelers and Ravens are playing each other as we speak, one will be 5-7 at the end of the night.

Sunday, the Fins play the Jets. One of them will fall to 5-7.

Tenn plays Indy this week. The Chargers play the Bengals.

Realsitically,if the Bills keep their end of the bargin, there may only be 2 teams ahead of the Bills in terms of wins.

Mia or NJY 6-6
Bal or Pitt 6-6
Bills 5-7
Mia or NYJ 5-7
Bal or Pit 5-7
Chargers 5-7
Tenn 5-7
Clev 5-7 or 4-8

(Next week, btw, Cleveland play at New England, Miami plays at Pitt, Tenn plays at Denver)

YardRat
11-28-2013, 08:47 PM

Seattle is 10-1 overall, 5-1 on the road. I wish Buffalo had major struggles on the road like Seattle does.

Skooby
11-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Ravens won & so did the Cowboys, so it's setting up nicely for the Bills to have a shot. Just win baby.

ublinkwescore
11-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Ravens won & so did the Cowboys, so it's setting up nicely for the Bills to have a shot. Just win baby.

We really needed BAL to win tonight. Pittsburgh needs to lose 2 more, and i will be happy... Tennessee doesn't scare me with ****ztragic under center.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Seattle is 10-1 overall, 5-1 on the road. I wish Buffalo had major struggles on the road like Seattle does.

Look at the teams they played on the road and how close their games were. They needed ot to beat Houston and barely slipped by st Louis and Carolina, in the days before before the latter put it together and became legit. Wilson specifically struggles on the road.

YardRat
11-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Look at the teams they played on the road and how close their games were. They needed ot to beat Houston and barely slipped by st Louis and Carolina, in the days before before the latter put it together and became legit. Wilson specifically struggles on the road.

Wilson has more yards passing and rushing, TD's, fewer INT, a better TD/INT ratio, and a negligible difference in QB rating on the road. Granted, he's been sacked more, and had to throw more, but I still wish the Bills struggled like that on the road.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Wilson has more yards passing and rushing, TD's, fewer INT, a better TD/INT ratio, and a negligible difference in QB rating on the road. Granted, he's been sacked more, and had to throw more, but I still wish the Bills struggled like that on the road.

yup, and if things keep going the way they are, Seattle won't worry about having to play any road games pretty soon.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-29-2013, 01:36 PM

Wilson put up a whopping 139 yards against the Rams, 80 of which came on one play. Subtracting sacks, the entire team put up 135 net yards and were nearly outgained by Zac Stacy alone. They needed a goalline stand where Fisher called a fade(!) thrown against the tallest corners in the league (!!) to the shortest wideout corps (!!!) thrown by Kellen Clemens(!!!!) to escape with their lives.

He also played a poor pair of games against Houston and Indy, needed to be bailed out by his defense against the former and losing the latter. In Carolina he was individually quite good, but despite throwing for 300+ yards it took the team 50 minutes to score a TD and take the lead.

That's 4 of the 6 games where they looked shaky on the road, two of which were against teams they should have beaten by a touchdown +.

Now they closed out most of the games and that's why they are championship contenders, but you can't ignore the dropoff in that team away from Seattle. Especially considering that if they lose to New Orleans on Sunday, suddenly the Saints are in the driver's seat for the #1 seed.

YardRat
11-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Now they closed out most of the games and that's why they are championship contenders, but you can't ignore the dropoff in that team away from Seattle. Especially considering that if they lose to New Orleans on Sunday, suddenly the Saints are in the driver's seat for the #1 seed.

5-1 for the team on road, similar stats for the QB home and away. As I've said consistently, I wish Buffalo had that kind of drop-off away from home. Don't you?

IlluminatusUIUC
11-29-2013, 02:24 PM
5-1 for the team on road, similar stats for the QB home and away. As I've said consistently, I wish Buffalo had that kind of drop-off away from home. Don't you?

They are "similar" because he slammed Carolina (yardage wise at least) and Atlanta and played poorly against St. Louis and Houston and they average into the middle.

I'm not sure why you keep comparing them to Buffalo, obviously I would love for Buffalo to play as well as Seattle on the home on the road or anywhere. I'm not even saying Seattle's a bad team, they are clearly among the class of the league. But when you're talking about Super Bowl contenders you can't ignore that a team which slam****s San Francisco by 26 points at home but needs OT and last minute heroics to beat Houston and St. Louis has a consistency problem.

Meathead
11-29-2013, 03:15 PM
thanks to kgun for that nice summary. so far everybodys been following the script

the blackbirds got nuthing to play for but pride now. with the playoffs now officially out of the question for them, now is prime time for them to try to make a statement game. nuthin to lose so let it all hang out kinda thing

birds 31-21. and a pallor sets over the zone like a storm cloud black as snow

YardRat
11-29-2013, 04:38 PM
They are "similar" because he slammed Carolina (yardage wise at least) and Atlanta and played poorly against St. Louis and Houston and they average into the middle.

I'm not sure why you keep comparing them to Buffalo, obviously I would love for Buffalo to play as well as Seattle on the home on the road or anywhere. I'm not even saying Seattle's a bad team, they are clearly among the class of the league. But when you're talking about Super Bowl contenders you can't ignore that a team which slam****s San Francisco by 26 points at home but needs OT and last minute heroics to beat Houston and St. Louis has a consistency problem.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree...San Fran = a division rival, at home. Houston and St Louis both have pretty good defenses. I just don't see a 5-1 record on the road as a consistency problem, especially considering that it's the best road record in the league, matched only by Philly. So, apparently, the 30 other teams in the NFL struggle more than Seattle on the road. As a matter of fact, almost 3/4 of the league (23 teams) have three road losses or more, including NE and the entire AFC East.

There's a reason teams play for home field advantage, and it really doesn't have much to do with consistency.

better days
11-29-2013, 04:48 PM

Look at the games the Pats* have struggled to win & how close their games were.

Still in all the Pats* like the Seahawks are sitting in the drivers seat.

It does not matter how ugly a win looks. A win is a win.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree...San Fran = a division rival, at home. Houston and St Louis both have pretty good defenses. I just don't see a 5-1 record on the road as a consistency problem, especially considering that it's the best road record in the league, matched only by Philly. So, apparently, the 30 other teams in the NFL struggle more than Seattle on the road. As a matter of fact, almost 3/4 of the league (23 teams) have three road losses or more, including NE and the entire AFC East.

There's a reason teams play for home field advantage, and it really doesn't have much to do with consistency.

A team can struggle and still win. When the Seahawks, supposedly the best team in the league, gain less than 140 net yards of offense and barely win a nailbiter against a Rams team led by Kellen Clemens then I'm not going to ignore it.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-30-2013, 02:13 AM
Look at the games the Pats* have struggled to win & how close their games were.

Still in all the Pats* like the Seahawks are sitting in the drivers seat.

It does not matter how ugly a win looks. A win is a win.

What's your point?

Typ0
11-30-2013, 06:01 AM
I can see the Bills being the team to get in if they win out. Would love to see a good showing tomorrow but I'm so afraid they will go out there and lay an egg.

better days
11-30-2013, 07:23 AM
What's your point?

What was your point about the Seahawks?

They are 10-1.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-30-2013, 09:33 AM
What was your point about the Seahawks?

They are 10-1.

I've said it like 3 times, they play significantly worse on the road then at home. They've barely scraped by multiple teams they should have destroyed.

better days
11-30-2013, 09:48 AM
I've said it like 3 times, they play significantly worse on the road then at home. They've barely scraped by multiple teams they should have destroyed.

As have the Pats*.

A Win is a Win PERIOD.

The Seahawks are TEN & ONE. END OF STORY.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-30-2013, 10:19 AM
As have the Pats*.

A Win is a Win PERIOD.

The Seahawks are TEN & ONE. END OF STORY.

What the hell are you talking about? When I posted that all the contenders had a significant weakness earlier in this thread, you posted specifically to agree with me.

Better days, last week: "New England is more than injuries. They lost two HUGE weapons with the loss of Welker & Hernandez. And Brady is OLD & not the QB he used to be. He did not have the arm to throw the ball to the back of the end zone where Gronk was at in the last game."

And now you're playing the whole "A win is a win" card? If we're talking about how well teams are actually playing, wins are not made equal.

better days
11-30-2013, 10:59 AM
What the hell are you talking about? When I posted that all the contenders had a significant weakness earlier in this thread, you posted specifically to agree with me.

Better days, last week: "New England is more than injuries. They lost two HUGE weapons with the loss of Welker & Hernandez. And Brady is OLD & not the QB he used to be. He did not have the arm to throw the ball to the back of the end zone where Gronk was at in the last game."

And now you're playing the whole "A win is a win" card? If we're talking about how well teams are actually playing, wins are not made equal.

Well, the point is this year, NOBODY is infallible.

The Broncos & the Seahawks look to be the cream of the crop, but they both have warts.

I could see either of those teams not making the Super Bowl, but they along with the Pats* are putting themselves in position to win it all.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Well, the point is this year, NOBODY is infallible.

The Broncos & the Seahawks look to be the cream of the crop, but they both have warts.

I could see either of those teams not making the Super Bowl, but they along with the Pats* are putting themselves in position to win it all.

That was the entire point of my post.

Seriously. Read it again:

Mr. Pink
11-30-2013, 11:22 AM

You can only beat who you play though.

Regular season all wins are equal. If you're 10-6 because you beat up a bunch of creampuffs ie no winning teams you're still in the playoffs like a team who is 10-6 beating good teams.

Now talking playoffs the cream puff 10-6 team likely loses in the first round because they can't beat good competition while the other example likely will win...so when it comes to playoff football it's not as equal.

About Seattle...

If they keep taking care of business and keep winning even by small margins on the road, they won't have to worry about being a poor road team come playoffs because their games will all be at home.

better days
11-30-2013, 11:28 AM

Regular season all wins are equal. If you're 10-6 because you beat up a bunch of creampuffs ie no winning teams you're still in the playoffs like a team who is 10-6 beating good teams.

Now talking playoffs the cream puff 10-6 team likely loses in the first round because they can't beat good competition while the other example likely will win...so when it comes to playoff football it's not as equal.

About Seattle...

If they keep taking care of business and keep winning even by small margins on the road, they won't have to worry about being a poor road team come playoffs because their games will all be at home.

All true, but on any given Sunday.......

What I love about the NFL is the playoffs are not some dragged out series like every other team sport.

WIN or go home.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-30-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm not docking them for beating creampuffs, I'm docking them for squeaking by creampuffs by the skin of their teeth.

About Seattle...

Except the one that matters most. And that's not a foregone conclusion btw, New Orleans plays them Monday in what can potentially decide HFA.

K-Gun
12-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Indy up on Tenn at the end of the 1st. Miami & Jets scoreless.