PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea Why Ralph Was Not Granted the Miami Franchise in 1960?

SpikedLemonade
11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
As you know, Ralph Wilson initially wanted an AFL Miami franchise in 1959 rather than one in Buffalo. His request for a Miami franchise was rejected so he settled for an AFL team in Buffalo.

Was it the AFL that rejected it or was it the City of Miami?

What I can't seem to find out is why was Ralph denied the Miami franchise?

It wasn't that the Miami franchise went to some other owner in 1960. Miami did not get a franchise until 1965 to start in 1966.

I criticize Ralph for his long history of poor on field performance, but no one can question his business sense. Did he know in 1960 that the City of Buffalo had already peaked in terms of relevance compared to the City of Miami?

Anyone know how this went down?

better days
11-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I think it was the City of Miami. They were hoping for & holding out for an NFL team.

SpikedLemonade
11-24-2013, 11:56 AM
I think it was the City of Miami. They were hoping for & holding out for an NFL team.

That would make sense.

I just can't seem to find any reference to it after a few hours of research.

better days
11-24-2013, 12:02 PM
That would make sense.

I just can't seem to find any reference to it after a few hours of research.

I seem to remember entertainer Jackie Gleason having a big involvement in Miami getting the Fins.

Kind of ironic with the Bon Jovi Bills talk.

YardRat
11-24-2013, 12:51 PM
He was awarded an AFL franchise for Miami originally, but couldn't get a lease with the Orange Bowl for the home games, so he brought his team to Buffalo instead.

- - - Updated - - -

So....

IF RALPH WASN'T CHEAP FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, WE WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE A TEAM!!!!

stuckincincy
11-24-2013, 01:01 PM
As you know, Ralph Wilson initially wanted an AFL Miami franchise in 1959 rather than one in Buffalo. His request for a Miami franchise was rejected so he settled for an AFL team in Buffalo.
It wasn't that the Miami franchise went to some other owner in 1960. Miami did not get a franchise until 1965 to start in 1966. I criticize Ralph for his long history of poor on field performance, but no one can question his business sense. Did he know in 1960 that the City of Buffalo had already peaked in terms of relevance compared to the City of Miami? Anyone know how this went down?

Must you search for fault down to the atomic level? :madcloud:

bleve
11-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Without looking, I believe it had something to do with the Orange Bowl. It was Built by the City of Miami Public Works Department, and maybe they didn't allow Professional teams there?

Generalissimus Gibby
11-26-2013, 02:19 PM

It wasn't that the Miami franchise went to some other owner in 1960. Miami did not get a franchise until 1965 to start in 1966.

I criticize Ralph for his long history of poor on field performance, but no one can question his business sense. Did he know in 1960 that the City of Buffalo had already peaked in terms of relevance compared to the City of Miami?

Anyone know how this went down?

Simple, Ralph wanted to know how fans would react to having to sit through three hours of substandard football because he wanted to rake in the cash and not be required to spend money to field a team. So he decided to get a very good Baltimore Colts team to play three hours in the south Florida sun in January and nobody bothered to show up. So he put his team in Buffalo, the home of the most masochistic fans in sports.

DynaPaul
11-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Simple, Ralph wanted to know how fans would react to having to sit through three hours of substandard football because he wanted to rake in the cash and not be required to spend money to field a team. So he decided to get a very good Baltimore Colts team to play three hours in the south Florida sun in January and nobody bothered to show up. So he put his team in Buffalo, the home of the most masochistic fans in sports.

I don't know, the fans in Miami seem to be perfectly happy watching a substandard football team as evident from their armada of empty orange seats every home game.

trapezeus
11-26-2013, 04:58 PM
i'd think if you were wealthy in a Northern City and you could own a sports team in the south, it'd be fun for your and your family. you head down and follow your pet project in November through DEcember...going from Detroit to Buffalo doesn't sound like a ton of fun.

BLeonard
11-26-2013, 08:42 PM
I've been looking for the answer to this for a while as well... About the farthest I've gotten is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Seahawks

Miami was without a professional football team until the 1960s. Ralph Wilson briefly considered putting his American Football League (AFL) franchise in Miami, but city officials turned him down. Then in 1965 the AFL awarded an expansion team to lawyer Joe Robbie and actor Danny Thomas, and the Miami Dolphins were established.[

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/17/2225530/ralph-wilson-buffalo-bills-miami-afl

I spoke with Ange Coniglio of RememberTheAFL.com about why Miami turned down Wilson and the AFL. Miami's Orange Bowl was the only site capable of holding an AFL franchise, and had previously been used by the AAFC's Miami Seahawks.

"I think the problem was pro teams were not allowed in college stadiums there, which were the only ones available at the time," said Coniglio.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2005/05/20050516/Other-News/In-Profile-Bills-Owner-Ralph-Wilson.aspx?hl=NFL%20Spring%20Owners%20Meetings&sc=0

Hunt gave Wilson the Miami franchise, but city leaders denied him a lease for the Orange Bowl because a previous football league had collapsed in the 1940s.

So, the answer certainly seems to be that the city denied Wilson, due to an issue with the team not being able to use the Orange Bowl.

By 1965, the AFL was a success, which likely changed the position on the city leaders not wanting a pro team playing there.

-Bill

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 07:46 AM
It's interesting that Buffalo almost got an NFL team in 1950 when the All America Football Conference was disbanded and three teams (49ers, Browns, Colts) were absorbed. Buffalo had great attendance, but some owners were against it because of the small size of the city.

If that were the case, we would have had a different owner and who knows what would have happened. That merger was probably the reason the AFL was started because the endgame of the AFL owners would be to get the same result with teams being absorbed into the NFL.

You can say all you want about Wilson. His meddling and cheapness in the first 25 years of the franchise are legendary, but one simple fact remains. He helped buoy the league in it's infancy and helped make possible the merger. Buffalo would also probably not have a franchise had the AFL folded.

Buckets
11-27-2013, 07:52 AM
I think this falls under the DILLIGAF category.

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 08:02 AM
I think this falls under the DILLIGAF category.I'm not good at acronyms, but is that like some new kind of LASER?

swiper
11-27-2013, 08:26 AM
http://www.profootballhof.com/history/2009/12/2/the-afls-first-expansion/

Buckets
11-27-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm not good at acronyms, but is that like some new kind of LASER?

You're kidding right?

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 09:33 AM
You're kidding right?Yes. Just being a smartass.

Carry on.

Historian
11-27-2013, 09:38 AM
And what team did the Miami Seahawks become............?????????

Anyone????????

Anyone????????

Bueler....Bueler....?

The Baltimore Colts!

The Jokeman
11-28-2013, 11:49 AM
I've been looking for the answer to this for a while as well... About the farthest I've gotten is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Seahawks

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/17/2225530/ralph-wilson-buffalo-bills-miami-afl

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2005/05/20050516/Other-News/In-Profile-Bills-Owner-Ralph-Wilson.aspx?hl=NFL%20Spring%20Owners%20Meetings&sc=0

So, the answer certainly seems to be that the city denied Wilson, due to an issue with the team not being able to use the Orange Bowl.

By 1965, the AFL was a success, which likely changed the position on the city leaders not wanting a pro team playing there.

-Bill

So even back then Ralph was too cheap to put up the money to build a new stadium. Again I will always say that Ralph has run the Bills great as a businessman but horribly as a football team.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-29-2013, 06:59 AM
So even back then Ralph was too cheap to put up the money to build a new stadium. Again I will always say that Ralph has run the Bills great as a businessman but horribly as a football team.

you don't get to be a billionaire by spending lavishly and recklessly. so to some extent, i'm guessing that all billionaires are pretty cheap like ralph