PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Fitzpatrick

pmoon6
11-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Watched the Titans game yesterday and Fitzy was unbelievable. He avoided at least 6 sacks moving in the pocket, dumping the ball and running out of it. He took a beating after getting rid of it. He basically put the team on his shoulders for a comeback win. He has no bigtime receiver and Chris Johnson was basically neutralized.

The point is that Fitzy was dismissed in Buffalo by many fans, but he seems to me like exactly the type of player that WNYs used to embrace. Tough, gritty with tons of heart. He may not possess a great arm or some of the measurables, but he is a player.

Makes me wonder why he was hated and why he was released. He would have been the perfect mentor for Manuel. I know his contract was probably too big and Marrone wanted to sweep the remnants of the old regime away and start anew, but damn, that was a great performance.

It seems that rumors of his demise were premature and the Titans are currently in the final Wild Card position.

The King
11-25-2013, 06:55 AM
I don't think anyone hated Fitz, his arm simply wasn't good enough. He's a great role model, a hard worker and good dude, but he simply couldn't stretch the field when teams dared him to. I wish him nothing but the best. It was great to see him play well yesterday.

Jry44
11-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Watched the Titans game yesterday and Fitzy was unbelievable. He avoided at least 6 sacks moving in the pocket, dumping the ball and running out of it. He took a beating after getting rid of it. He basically put the team on his shoulders for a comeback win. He has no bigtime receiver and Chris Johnson was basically neutralized.

The point is that Fitzy was dismissed in Buffalo by many fans, but he seems to me like exactly the type of player that WNYs used to embrace. Tough, gritty with tons of heart. He may not possess a great arm or some of the measurables, but he is a player.

Makes me wonder why he was hated and why he was released. He would have been the perfect mentor for Manuel. I know his contract was probably too big and Marrone wanted to sweep the remnants of the old regime away and start anew, but damn, that was a great performance.

It seems that rumors of his demise were premature and the Titans are currently in the final Wild Card position.

The thing with Fitz is that when there is no pressure on his shoulders of being the franchise guy, he balls out. He did it in 2010 when he was throwing the ball all over the place. And he was doing it up until he signed that big contract and had the pressure of living up to it. Then he went down hill by trying to do too much. His arm strength was exposed, he turned the ball over and so on. He can ball out now because he knows that the Titans are still Jake Lockers team. I agree, I watched him a few weeks ago and thought the same thing initially. However, he's just not a franchise type player when high expectations and pressure are heaped upon him.

pmoon6
11-25-2013, 07:15 AM
The thing with Fitz is that when there is no pressure on his shoulders of being the franchise guy, he balls out. He did it in 2010 when he was throwing the ball all over the place. And he was doing it up until he signed that big contract and had the pressure of living up to it. Then he went down hill by trying to do too much. His arm strength was exposed, he turned the ball over and so on. He can ball out now because he knows that the Titans are still Jake Lockers team. I agree, I watched him a few weeks ago and thought the same thing initially. However, he's just not a franchise type player when high expectations and pressure are heaped upon him.I didn't mean we should have kept him as the franchise guy, merely a bridge to the future. The intangibles that he possesses are hard to teach except by example.

Bangarang
11-25-2013, 08:01 AM
He wasn't hated.

He was cut because he refused to restructure his contract and he was more than likely going to be taking a back up role.

Fitz had a good game yesterday but he also had good games for us. He's currently 1-3 for the Titans as their starter and was 19-31 as ours.

Short term, Fitz is a good guy to have. But, as he's proven for us, you do not want him starting a lot of games for you.

Bangarang
11-25-2013, 08:02 AM
I didn't mean we should have kept him as the franchise guy, merely a bridge to the future. The intangibles that he possesses are hard to teach except by example.

That's fine but you don't pay a guy $8 million to sit on the bench and be a teacher. It's not as if we didn't want him to stay.

Jry44
11-25-2013, 08:08 AM
I didn't mean we should have kept him as the franchise guy, merely a bridge to the future. The intangibles that he possesses are hard to teach except by example.

Yeah, if I remember right, I think they wanted to keep him if he was willing to restructure his contract, but he wasn't willing to do that. We might have had another win or two if he had been willing to stay.

better days
11-25-2013, 08:10 AM
That's fine but you don't pay a guy $8 million to sit on the bench and be a teacher. It's not as if we didn't want him to stay.

Exactly. The Bills asked Fitz to take a pay cut but he refused. The Bills had no choice but to cut him.

And if he had signed with a team other than the Titans I would have wished him well, but I hate the Titans almost as much as the Pats*

pmoon6
11-25-2013, 08:11 AM
That's fine but you don't pay a guy $8 million to sit on the bench and be a teacher. It's not as if we didn't want him to stay.OK, I didn't remember the details of his departure, but I said in the OP that his contract was probably too big. There would have been nothing wrong with keeping him as the starter while Manuel prepared for the future.

Of course, a QB that never played more than four straight games was assigned that task and I would have heard the shreeks from Buffalo all the way here in Colorado had Fitzpatrick stayed.

justasportsfan
11-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Fitz would have been perfect for the no huddle but he didn't want to stay because he didn't have the balls to compete with a rookie for the starting job.

pmoon6
11-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Fitz would have been perfect for the no huddle but he didn't want to stay because he didn't have the balls to compete with a rookie for the starting job.HaHaHa. I think Fitzy's balls probably outweigh your entire body.

justasportsfan
11-25-2013, 08:16 AM
HaHaHa. I think Fitzy's balls probably outweigh your entire body.

I don't hate Fitz but it's the truth. He didn't want to restructure and didn't want to start all over and compete for the job. I was hoping he'd succeed here but his arm was just weak.

Jimbuktu
11-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Love Fitz. Still do. He ain't gonna take you to the promised land though. He's like the PERFECT back up quarterback though. Would have loved to see him in there for us when EJ went down. We come out with AT LEAST one more win, maybe two being Cleveland and KC.

better days
11-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't hate Fitz but it's the truth. He didn't want to restructure and didn't want to start all over and compete for the job. I was hoping he'd succeed here but his arm was just weak.

I'm sure the Bills offered Fitz an incentive laden contract based on games played.

With the injuries the Bills had this year, I think is is probable that Fitz would have made more money had he stayed in Buffalo, but his EGO no doubt prevented that from happening.

EDS
11-25-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm sure the Bills offered Fitz an incentive laden contract based on games played.

With the injuries the Bills had this year, I think is is probable that Fitz would have made more money had he stayed in Buffalo, but his EGO no doubt prevented that from happening.

Shame on him for not wanting the benefit of the bargain the team gave him two years ago.

If anyone deserves criticism it is Buddy Nix for giving Fitz that outlandish contract when there was absolutely no reason to do so.

Skooby
11-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Pride got in the way of him staying in Buffalo.

better days
11-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Shame on him for not wanting the benefit of the bargain the team gave him two years ago.

If anyone deserves criticism it is Buddy Nix for giving Fitz that outlandish contract when there was absolutely no reason to do so.

Agreed, mistake made by Nix. Corrected as well as possible by cutting Fitz when he was cut.

Bill Cody
11-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Glad he had a good game
He is a great story
But for a host of reasons his time here was over

trapezeus
11-25-2013, 11:39 AM

that might have been the actual plan until buddy got caught trash talking fitz. then it was over for him to stay.

it would have been nice to have the bridge and have a qb tell another qb what he sees. i think fitz saw the defenses correctly, but i don't think he had the arm or release to be a qb in the north east.

if he succeeds else where, excellent. if not, then not really our problem....that's how i look at it.

Meathead
11-25-2013, 12:08 PM
funny how we remember tiny details from games broadcast in b&w then forget something big that happened ten months ago

fitz was very willing to restructure but was told he would not get the chance to compete for the starting job. he said he felt he deserved more than that and decided to try to find a place where he could at least compete for the job. apparently nobody offered to let him compete bc a few wks later he signs with tenn as the backup, but at least it was for probably the most shakey starter at the time (before whatshisname from tb the black guy i thought was white)

ironically fitz coulda started here a bunch of games, but nobody knew that would happen at the time. given that marrone and co went out and got kolb im not sure why they didnt just let fitz compete here and do the same thing they planned to do with kolb - let the veteran start the season and bring the rook in when hes more ready. i suppose kolb may have had some slightly higher upside remaining but despite his flaws fitz has shown hes a tough baller and a good teammate. i think he would have done just fine in this offense, albeit without as much of the long ball stuff to goodwin

but as it turns out we appear to have found a younger stronger backup in the thaddiator so its cool. i would have enjoyed fitz being here another couple of seasons but it seems as if it was for the best either way

Night Train
11-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Happy he's gone but still happy that he had a game winning drive on his 31st birthday. He deserves a great day like that.

jdaltroy5
11-25-2013, 12:33 PM
The reason he got the big pay day was because he had games like he did yesterday.

The reason he was cut was because he just didn't have enough of them.

After 3 years, we knew exactly what he was - A likeable guy that could win a game for you in a pinch but couldn't do it consistently enough to be considered a starter.

I was glad to see him succeed yesterday though.

imbondz
11-25-2013, 12:46 PM
I've watched a bunch of Fitz this season, and I still cheer for him, but he is all over the place with consistency. Yesterday was absolutely his best game of the year. He played great, I even thought he'd get MVP of the week or something. But…for the most part this season, he throws an INT at the word times of games, and if Locker never got hurt, the Titans would be in 1st place.

gebobs
11-25-2013, 01:10 PM

I don't think the Jaguars were that impressed. Certainly not the folks in my Survivor pool that figured the Titans could handle the winless Jagoffs at home. I warned them.

Oh oh oh Fitztragic can't throw-oh-oh
Never believe he don't blow

better days
11-25-2013, 01:14 PM
The reason he got the big pay day was because he had games like he did yesterday.

The reason he was cut was because he just didn't have enough of them.

After 3 years, we knew exactly what he was - A likeable guy that could win a game for you in a pinch but couldn't do it consistently enough to be considered a starter.

I was glad to see him succeed yesterday though.

I agree except about being happy to see him win yesterday.

If Fitz never wins another game for that team, I will be happy. And I think that is likely.

Albany,n.y.
11-25-2013, 01:21 PM
I was at that game (perfect timing with the Bills bye)-I'm out in Oakland for Thanksgiving. I sat in the 2nd level endzone & had a pretty good view of things. Oakland wasn't getting much of a pass rush and when they did Fitz would just take off & run. His receivers were getting open all day and when they weren't already wide open he was doing a good job of throwing the ball to a spot anticipating when they'd get there-something EJ still needs to work on but showed much improvement in the Jets game.

I didn't watch the news last night, so I didn't know about the fan who tried to kill herself until this morning. I'll read more about it in the local papers & the local newscast later today. She went to the upper deck after the game and jumped. A guy tried to stop her & broke her fall, saving her life but they are both in the hospital.

TigerJ
11-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Who knows what Fitzpatrick would have done had Marrone retained him. Playing last season, it looked like his confidence was shot. Whether it was Gailey's system or something else, he may have needed the change of venue. I don't hate him. I'm glad he's enjoying some success, but I don't regret that the Bills pulled the curtain on the Fitzpatrick era.

WagonCircler
11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Oh oh oh Fitztragic can't throw-oh-oh
Never believe he don't blow

To the tune of Howard Jones' Things Can Only Get Better?

better days
11-25-2013, 02:14 PM
To the tune of Howard Jones' Things Can Only Get Better?

No, that is an OLD song. "Magic" by the band Pilot.

One hit wonder.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-25-2013, 02:27 PM

I think few hated Fitz, but many hated the idea of Fitz as long term starter. Fitz was a great backup and ideally should have been treated like that other #14 we had here in the eighties and nineties. You know the guy who won the Greatest Comeback in NFL history?

WagonCircler
11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
No, that is an OLD song. "Magic" by the band Pilot.

One hit wonder.

Ohhhh, yes. I remember that song. Singer had a high voice. Sounded like Davey Jones from the Monkees.

BertSquirtgum
11-25-2013, 03:27 PM

because he was Fitzputrid when he played here. How many games did he have over 300yds with no interceptions? Zero. He was a bum when he played here.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-25-2013, 03:30 PM
OK, I didn't remember the details of his departure, but I said in the OP that his contract was probably too big. There would have been nothing wrong with keeping him as the starter while Manuel prepared for the future.

Of course, a QB that never played more than four straight games was assigned that task and I would have heard the shreeks from Buffalo all the way here in Colorado had Fitzpatrick stayed.

You won't get any argument from me that going with Kolb was a horrible move.

However, Fitz was simply not built for the Marrone offense. He is way, way too careless with the ball for a no huddle offense. If you start a tunover fest while the offense is already moving quickly then things can spiral out of control and exhaust your defense fast. Moreover, he doesn't have the touch to hit those deep throws to Graham and Goodwin that we really need to keep the safeties honest. We would have had to run more of what we did under Gailey.

bleve
11-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Fitz, as stated already had some good games here. When he was good he was good, when he was bad, he was killer. I think The Bills had lost by 7 or fewer points a total of 4 times last year. In each of those 4 games, Fitz threw an INT with less than 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

DynaPaul
11-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Stop reminiscing over ex-girlfriends who are exes for a reason.

feldspar
11-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Fitzy has a degree in Economics from Harvard. I think his thesis was about how to rob an NFL team blind.

Seriously, everybody liked the guy, but that doesn't mean he should be our quarterback. He proved to not have been up to that, although he did have his moments. Having moments isn't good enough when you don't have the tools.

His contract was ridiculous to me from the moment he signed it. We are STILL going to owe $7 million of it against the cap next year because of it, I believe. So, for those that miss him, his presence is still felt.

I would have LOVED him as a backup, but that wasn't meant to be. He wouldn't take a paycut, and who knows how his presence would have affected the locker-room had he stayed anyway. He was well liked my his teammates too. If your rookie struggles, you got players thinking Fitz should start, even though he's NOT a starter in this league. Could be awkward, and nobody should pretend to know every detail in that.

You guys want balls, you can turn to Thad Lewis. He's got a big juicy pair for all your pleasures too, and he's played AT LEAST as well in Buffalo this year as Fitz played in Tennessee this year...and Lewis came in cold from the friggin' practice squad. The guy wasn't on the team until after the entire preseason then came in as emergency relief from the practice squad.

I don't get the whole Fitz idolization thing and never have...let's find the 53 guys with the biggest balls in the world and create an unbeatable juggernaut. I liked Fitzy and still do, but I don't regret he's gone all things considered. The Titans aren't going anywhere this year either.

GvilleBills
11-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Everybody loves Fitz-magic, but you can't hitch your franchise to Fitz-tragic.

Homegrown
11-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Who knows what Fitzpatrick would have done had Marrone retained him. not much ...Bills like to go deep 3 or 4 times a game...that's 3 or 4 possession killing incompletions

Mace
11-25-2013, 07:12 PM
He's going to be a genius offensive coordinator down the road one day, hope it will be here.

pmoon6
11-26-2013, 05:54 AM
To the tune of Howard Jones' Things Can Only Get Better?No, knowing him and his musical tastes, it is probably Wham's "Pick me Up Before You Go..Go". He's a George Michael Fanboy.

pmoon6
11-26-2013, 05:56 AM
I think few hated Fitz, but many hated the idea of Fitz as long term starter. Fitz was a great backup and ideally should have been treated like that other #14 we had here in the eighties and nineties. You know the guy who won the Greatest Comeback in NFL history?Who was that?

Did you shake your baby rattle when Reed caught the go ahead TD?

DynaPaul
11-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Fitzpatrick is no Frank Reich.

pmoon6
11-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Fitzpatrick is no Frank Reich.Yeah, Fitz had Hull, Wolford, Ritcher, and Ballard protecting him, Thurman, Kenny Davis, Metzalaars, Lofton, Beebe and Reed as weapons.

What a fantastic comparison!!!!!!

justasportsfan
11-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Yeah, Fitz had Hull, Wolford, Ritcher, and Ballard protecting him, Thurman, Kenny Davis, Metzalaars, Lofton, Beebe and Reed as weapons.

What a fantastic comparison!!!!!!

Even if Fitz had those weapons, they'd be useless if they ran beyond 15 yards.

pmoon6
11-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Even if Fitz had those weapons, they'd be useless if they ran beyond 15 yards.:rofl: The top QB's average completion is 13 yards, Fitzpatrick's is 11. I will give you that Fitzy has a problem with the deep ball, but his real downfall is throwing picks at inopportune moments. Kinda like Tony Romo. You also may not know that early in Brady's career he was dink and dunk. He didn't really start throwing deep until he got Moss, so receivers partially dictate the long passing game. I still remember him launching a 50yard bomb and hitting Stevie in stride in overtime against Pittsburgh. Too bad Stevie couldn't hang on.

BTW, He seems to have improved on his interceptions, hasn't thrown one in the last three games and is currently only throwing 1 for every 45 attempts this year.

justasportsfan
11-26-2013, 09:06 AM
:rofl: The top QB's average completion is 13 yards, Fitzpatrick's is 11. I will give you that Fitzy has a problem with the deep ball, but his real downfall is throwing picks at inopportune moments. Kinda like Tony Romo. You also may not know that early in Brady's career he was dink and dunk. He didn't really start throwing deep until he got Moss, so receivers partially dictate the long passing game. I still remember him launching a 50yard bomb and hitting Stevie in stride in overtime against Pittsburgh. Too bad Stevie couldn't hang on.

BTW, He seems to have improved on his interceptions, hasn't thrown one in the last three games and is currently only throwing 1 for every 45 attempts this year.

I don't care what the top completion yards is. All I know is that Fitz can't hit beyond 15 yards accurately and Reed and Bebee made their living running those routes. It's the same criticism I've made about EJ up until the last game.

I don't care if Fitz improved on his int's, the guy is still very limited. He's not playing vs. AFCE teams where Pats and jets D own him. They've figured how to defend against him . I would have loved Fitz as a back up here but thats it, a back up.

pmoon6
11-26-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't care what the top completion yards is. All I know is that Fitz can't hit beyond 15 yards accurately and Reed and Bebee made their living running those routes. It's the same criticism I've made about EJ up until the last game.

I don't care if Fitz improved on his int's, the guy is still very limited. He's not playing vs. AFCE teams where Pats and jets D own him. They've figured how to defend against him . I would have loved Fitz as a back up here but thats it, a back up.Well, we know you don't care because you dismiss the facts. To even say Reed made his living on the deep ball means you weren't paying attention. He made his living over the middle and RAC. Beebe was the one stretching the field.

Talk all you want, but Fitzpatrick was middle of the road concerning starting QB's in his two years as ours. The comparison to another QB who had much more talent surrounding him is delusional at best. And I didn't make the comparison.

justasportsfan
11-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Well, we know you don't care because you dismiss the facts. To even say Reed made his living on the deep ball means you weren't paying attention. He made his living over the middle and RAC. Beebe was the one stretching the field.

Talk all you want, but Fitzpatrick was middle of the road concerning starting QB's in his two years as ours. The comparison to another QB who had much more talent surrounding him is delusional at best. And I didn't make the comparison.

You wants stats? Do you know that Rob Johnson is still the most accurate QB is bills history? You want facts? He has a sb ring. He's still not Reich either and neither is Fitz.

Yes, someone else made the Reich comparison but you brought up the weapons that wouldn't have mattered with a qb who can't throw accurately beyond 15 yards.

imbondz
11-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I've never once in all of my watching of Fitz, thought about Reich in comparison. No.

Typ0
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
His problem is when he starts to struggle in a game he tanks and ends up contributing to a loss. He isn't starter material in a stretch of games for this reason and the same thing will happen to him in TEN. Hence, he couldn't play to his contract numbers ...

better days
11-26-2013, 11:31 AM
:rofl: The top QB's average completion is 13 yards, Fitzpatrick's is 11. I will give you that Fitzy has a problem with the deep ball, but his real downfall is throwing picks at inopportune moments. Kinda like Tony Romo. You also may not know that early in Brady's career he was dink and dunk. He didn't really start throwing deep until he got Moss, so receivers partially dictate the long passing game. I still remember him launching a 50yard bomb and hitting Stevie in stride in overtime against Pittsburgh. Too bad Stevie couldn't hang on.

Well, Brady has come full circle. He can no longer throw the long ball. He was way SHORT on the throw into the end zone against the Panthers.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-26-2013, 11:38 AM
You wants stats? Do you know that Rob Johnson is still the most accurate QB is bills history? You want facts? He has a sb ring. He's still not Reich either and neither is Fitz.

Yes, someone else made the Reich comparison but you brought up the weapons that wouldn't have mattered with a qb who can't throw accurately beyond 15 yards.

Johnson isn't the most accurate QB, at least by completion %, that would be Kelly Holcomb or Trent Edwards if you want to talk about full season starters.

That said, Johnson's "accuracy" was inflated by his refusal to throw the ball until the wideout had completed his fourth juke move and his master's thesis. Johnson is one of (if not the) most frequently sacked QBs in NFL history (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_sacked_perc_career.htm)

Turf
11-26-2013, 12:17 PM
And the windup, and the pitch... He throws a 5 yard out pattern to Johnson!
That's the problem I have with him, other than the obvious suck factor.

BertSquirtgum
11-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Fitzpatrick sucks. Get over your man crush. He is gone. Good riddance.

JoeMama
11-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Fitz is a great backup.

And it's fair to say there was pretty broad consensus amongst Bills fans on that count.

Fitz is a real serviceable guy to keep a team afloat while the #1 is out. He's showing himself to be competent for the Titans, although he's still haunted by late game turnovers. That Jax game was a stark reminder of that nasty habit.

Raptor
11-26-2013, 01:10 PM

This ^^^^ and I like Fitz as a player and competitor, I just dont think the guy is a franchise QB. Plus you couldnt have him here with EJ given how popular Fitz is in the locker room

THATHURMANATOR
11-26-2013, 01:12 PM
We should have just kept him.

Not like we spent the money we saved by cutting him.

I was for cutting him though and understand why they did.

JoeMama
11-26-2013, 01:17 PM
We should have just kept him.

Not like we spent the money we saved by cutting him.

I was for cutting him though and understand why they did.

That may not have been an option.

Guys take pride in themselves and its probably humiliating to get demoted AND receive a pay cut after once being hailed as the franchise QB, however briefly.

At that point I bet most QBs feel like it's better to change scenery.

justasportsfan
11-26-2013, 01:17 PM
That said, Johnson's "accuracy" was inflated by his refusal to throw the ball until the wideout had completed his fourth juke move and his master's thesis. Johnson is one of (if not the) most frequently sacked QBs in NFL history (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_sacked_perc_career.htm)

so stats can be skewed. Stats don't paint an entire picture. I agree.

DynaPaul
11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
If you love Fitzpatrick so much you should just become a Titans fan and spare us your grief.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Who was that?

Did you shake your baby rattle when Reed caught the go ahead TD?

I was nine at the time, but that's not important right now. What is important is that you were 65 at the time, freshly retired and eagerly awaiting your first social security benefits check.

gebobs
11-26-2013, 05:49 PM
He's going to be a genius offensive coordinator down the road one day, hope it will be here.
Wood, Johnson, Goodwin...you guys go long. EJ...try and dump it off to Tashard.

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Fitzpatrick sucks. Get over your man crush. He is gone. Good riddance.Hmmm. Just because someone admires a player for his determination and guts doesn't mean he's in love with him. Then again, that's all you have and the personality traits of the Anti-Fan comes into full view. Must suck for you and your ilk to feel so impotent that you cry buckets when we don't win and dump on players when they don't perform as you think they should.

I accept when former players say a guy sucks, but they rarely do. They know the difference between an NFL journeyman and a great QB is minute.

What I have a hard time accepting is little douchebags who probably didn't play high school football saying that they suck. Make your couch comfy, get that popcorn ready and enjoy the game on Sunday. Imagine that you are actually running down the field on a special teams play. The highlight of your life.

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 05:16 AM
I was nine at the time, but that's not important right now. What is important is that you were 65 at the time, freshly retired and eagerly awaiting your first social security benefits check.Good comeback. You are shaping up nicely. A couple more years under Shivas' and my tutelage and you may become a decent poster!!

pmoon6
11-27-2013, 05:23 AM
If you love Fitzpatrick so much you should just become a Titans fan and spare us your grief.there is that "love" thingie again.

Just sos ya know Cletus, it is possible to admire a player without liking his team. Besides, the Titans are inconsequential this year since we don't play them. If we did I would be hoping that Mario and company rained down terror and destruction on Ryan Fitzpatrick. I would even chip in for the body bag.

swiper
11-27-2013, 06:45 AM
I don't think anyone hated Fitz, his arm simply wasn't good enough. He's a great role model, a hard worker and good dude, but he simply couldn't stretch the field when teams dared him to. I wish him nothing but the best. It was great to see him play well yesterday.

What Fitzpatrick is, is a good back-up quarterback. That's the role he's filling in Tennessee and not what he was doing in Buffalo.

stuckincincy
11-28-2013, 12:13 PM
there is that "love" thingie again.

Besides, the Titans are inconsequential this year since we don't play them.

If the Bills are to entertain (cough) play off hopes, TEN matters - they are a game up on BUF, and sit as the current #6 AFC seed, having beaten PIT, SD, and NYJ head-to-head.

BertSquirtgum
11-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Hmmm. Just because someone admires a player for his determination and guts doesn't mean he's in love with him. Then again, that's all you have and the personality traits of the Anti-Fan comes into full view. Must suck for you and your ilk to feel so impotent that you cry buckets when we don't win and dump on players when they don't perform as you think they should.

I accept when former players say a guy sucks, but they rarely do. They know the difference between an NFL journeyman and a great QB is minute.

What I have a hard time accepting is little douchebags who probably didn't play high school football saying that they suck. Make your couch comfy, get that popcorn ready and enjoy the game on Sunday. Imagine that you are actually running down the field on a special teams play. The highlight of your life.

Duuuuuuuumb

feldspar
11-29-2013, 03:29 AM

You're going a little far with this.

You don't have to be a musician to say "that song sucks." You don't need to be a chef to say "that tastes horrible." You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. It doesn't always take one to know one. May as well disallow certain people to say anything at all about the game by your logic, including calling a player great.

You may as well discount all women's opinions on football while you're at it, 'cuz they never played. That oughta blow over well.

Also, don't forget that without little douchebags sitting on their couch, these guys wouldn't be making the big bucks and the NFL game wouldn't be what it is.

The only thing that annoys me is habitual whining constantly. But if you aren't judging what you're watching, then what are you doing? You're a jellyfish.

pmoon6
11-29-2013, 04:09 AM
You're going a little far with this.

You don't have to be a musician to say "that song sucks." You don't need to be a chef to say "that tastes horrible." You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. It doesn't always take one to know one. May as well disallow certain people to say anything at all about the game by your logic, including calling a player great.

You may as well discount all women's opinions on football while you're at it, 'cuz they never played. That oughta blow over well.

Also, don't forget that without little douchebags sitting on their couch, these guys wouldn't be making the big bucks and the NFL game wouldn't be what it is.

The only thing that annoys me is habitual whining constantly. But if you aren't judging what you're watching, then what are you doing? You're a jellyfish.I look at it from a different perspective, but it does stem from the habitual whining. I know quite of few guys that played college ball and didn't make it because of injury or just weren't good enough. I even had a former player who played linebacker for San Diego and Cleveland.

So, when someone says this guy sucks or is a loser when they don't have any clue of the blood, sweat and tears it takes to make an NFL roster, it pisses me off. I don't care that they helped create the environment where players are making huge salaries. Because of that they should be able to insult a player publically for not living up to THEIR expectations? They didn't get their orgasm on game day, so they lash out. Of course, I understand the disappointment when someone's team loses, but to regularly rant about it is just infantile.

Nothing wrong with criticism of a player, but at least consider what it takes to make it to that level. Trashing someone who did what they could never do reveals the character of the individual.

Then again, isn't that what Americans have become?

Meathead
11-29-2013, 05:29 AM
you dont have to have red hair to say that red haired white males are evil and have no soul

stuckincincy
11-29-2013, 05:33 AM
you dont have to have red hair to say that red haired white males are evil and have no soul

Some folks in CIN have nicknamed Andy Dalton "Scut Farkas."

feldspar
11-29-2013, 04:37 PM
I look at it from a different perspective, but it does stem from the habitual whining. I know quite of few guys that played college ball and didn't make it because of injury or just weren't good enough. I even had a former player who played linebacker for San Diego and Cleveland.

So, when someone says this guy sucks or is a loser when they don't have any clue of the blood, sweat and tears it takes to make an NFL roster, it pisses me off. I don't care that they helped create the environment where players are making huge salaries. Because of that they should be able to insult a player publically for not living up to THEIR expectations? They didn't get their orgasm on game day, so they lash out. Of course, I understand the disappointment when someone's team loses, but to regularly rant about it is just infantile.

Nothing wrong with criticism of a player, but at least consider what it takes to make it to that level. Trashing someone who did what they could never do reveals the character of the individual.

Then again, isn't that what Americans have become?

I wouldn't be putting NFL players on such a lofty pedestal, but that's just me. If I have $50 or more riding on a game, I have no problem calling the guy that dropped an easy touchdown pass a ^%$#!# idiot or worse. That's what ya do. You should have heard the things I called Drew Brees when he single-handedly cost me a $1,700 payday this year. It's not like I said that to the guy's face, as much as I would have liked to on that particular occasion.

Talk about what it takes to make it in the NFL, and perhaps the first thing you need is thick skin anyway.

In the end, it's a bunch of grown men playing a children's game, basically. I understand the respect part of it, but I'm not particularly concerned about hurting anyone's feelings as if they ever even hear a word I say...they don't. Besides, I think I've got enough perspective to separate the person from how he performs, in the long run. Look at how Bills fans treated Scott Norwood when he went wide-right. The fans were nothing but supportive.

I can only speak for myself and know my own intentions for what I do. I call players, coaches, refs, etc. names routinely. Of course, that doesn't mean I think what they do is easy. It's more like I just don't care. And again, they have no clue I said whatever, and if they did, they shouldn't care either. I try to be fair in my criticisms, at least.

Look at the refs...do you think it's easy being a ref? Are fans worried about their feelings and appreciate their position when they just screwed you out of a win? SHOULD they be? Refs go in knowing many, many fans will hate them no matter what.

I think everyone involved in the NFL is LUCKY that fans care enough to garner such strong emotional reactions, depending on what specific thing we are talking about, of course. Ironically, they need to be able to block out the insane praise they get just as much as whatever putdowns they encounter...both can affect them negatively if they let it in.

It's not like you need a resume to just vent.

Mace
11-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Wood, Johnson, Goodwin...you guys go long. EJ...try and dump it off to Tashard.

I see it more like him asking his QB how far he can throw it...

"Wow, whoa, really ? There's all kinds of things we can do then way down there 5 or 10 yards, maybe 11 or 12 even."

I said he was going to be a genius offensive coordinator, I didn't say anyone would understand him or be able to execute his plays. I did say though I hope it will be here, because it will be entertaining watching the variety of ways he has Choice open for 3 yard gains.

WagonCircler
11-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Thank God the bye week is almost over.

You know things are getting pretty stale in Bills Nation when a 4 page thread about a former Bill lingers at the top of the forum list for this long.

GvilleBills
11-30-2013, 08:59 AM

You know things are getting pretty stale in Bills Nation when a 4 page thread about a former Bill lingers at the top of the forum list for this long.
Bye week and tryptophan comas converge!! Now, as we ease out of a vegetative state...Toronto, arrgghh!

Mace
11-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Feels a lot more mellow though doesn't it ? That's probably a good thing thinking about past byes on diff boards. It's sort of fun to see Fitzpatrick being Fitzpatrick someplace else.

So far to me, this season was not really so aggravating, while being aggravating. I'm not sure why, but I'll roll with it. Seems appropriate.

imbondz
12-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Fitzpatrick 3 INTs today, one on the final drive at the 25 yard line to end the game.

BertSquirtgum
12-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Fitzpatrick 3 INTs today, one on the final drive at the 25 yard line to end the game.

Color me surprised.

Bill Cody
12-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Yep. Same old Fitz

Cleve
12-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Yep. Same old Fitz

Yes..... although his 2013 average passer rating is somehow above his career average this year in his 5 starts for the Titans, he's only won 1 out of 5 games for a .200 winning percentage, so he's below his career average in this most important statistic - FYI, his career winning percentage in the 74 games he's started is a terrible .349 over 9 seasons.

They used to excuse his poor play in Buffalo on the poor offensive line. But playing for a different team, with a better O line, it's still the same level of mediocrity. The guy never had what it took to be a starting QB in this league. The fact that he's still employed is kind of mind-boggling. In my mind, he's purely 3rd string backup caliber. The Titans were off to a 3-1 start, and the wheels completely came off the train as soon as Fitzpatrick took over for Locker. It's amazing that Munchak doesn't start a different QB (one of his other backups) or at least try something. Fitzpatrick's inability to execute has put Munchak's job in serious jeopardy. You ought to see what Titan's fans are posting on their forums.

gebobs
12-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Bad peripheral vision on that one. Threw into quadruple coverage with Freeman moving from right to left against the flow.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000290621/Freeman-picks-off-Fitzpatrick-to-seal-the-win

The first was an overthrow. The second was behind the receiver into tight double. And he topped it off with a fumble after a sack.

Typical game for Fitzie. Great guy. Heart of gold. I want to have his baby and all that. But I am glad he's not my quarterback.

Cleve
12-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Bad peripheral vision on that one. Threw into quadruple coverage with Freeman moving from right to left against the flow.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000290621/Freeman-picks-off-Fitzpatrick-to-seal-the-win

What an AWFUL, ill-advised throw. For a Harvard grad, he doesn't seem particularly intelligent on the field - and he never has in 8 years and counting. What you see is what you get - he has a proven track record of below average play - why did the Titans think otherwise?

And Munchak has to be an imbecile to keep playing him week after week, instead of at least giving a chance to one of the Titans other backups. Munchak should have benched him after the first half, for cryin out loud. The definition of "stupid" is to keep repeating the same mistake, and expect a different outcome. And Titans fans are clamoring for firing of Mike Munchak - what a surprise when the HC keeps trotting out Ryan Fitzpatrick as an answer. And if he's fired because of Fitzpatrick's poor execution and lack of pocket smarts, he'll be the second head coach to be shown the door basically due to putting all his eggs in the Fitzpatrick basket. LOL

Bill Cody
12-02-2013, 12:55 PM
What an AWFUL, ill-advised throw.

Honestly it felt like watching a Bills game watching that throw. You're like Charlie Brown lining up to kick the ball and somehow you've convinced yourself "he's really going to kick it this time". And then Lucy pulls the ball away.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Fitz showed yesterday why so many people absolutely hated the idea of him as a full time starter here. I mean I cringed when he turned the ball over late in the game as it reminded me soooooo very much of why he was infamous here.

kishoph
12-02-2013, 02:44 PM
I am so, so happy that I don't have to see that face on a Bills sideline anymore. :dance2:

BertSquirtgum
12-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Fitz and his stupid ass beard and that stupid wedding ring. Hate him as a football player. Good human being though.

bills_7
12-03-2013, 06:12 PM
I wonder how the season would have went if we didn't give fitz that contract so early and waited till the end of the season

Cleve
01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Well, Mike Munchak, HC of the Titans, Fitzpatricked himself right out of a job. For whatever reason, Munchak steadfastly kept bringing Fitzpatrick out, week after week. You'd have thought they'd have at least tried once or twice the other backup QB, Rusty Smith. I think that might have made fans a little less rabid about getting Munchak fired - if he'd used all the weapons on the roster.

Another weird Munchak decision - a rookie RB, Jackie Battle, was a fan favorite, but Munchak usually ran Green instead of Battle, and Green didn't seem as effective. I have heard the rationale for playing Green was that his salary cost the Titans more money than Battle's. Hello? Does that make ANY sense whatsoever? Shouldn't a coach select players based on how well they're playing, rather than their salary? If Ted Nolan used this kind of "logic", Ville Leino would be on the ice 40 minutes a game. LOL

At any rate, Munchak is now the second HC who did not survive one Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB.

imbondz
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
to Munchaks defense, the Titans were 3-1 when Locker went down, and looked really good as a team. Locker was out 3 games, they lost all 3, he came back, they won, then he got injured again. Nobody can win with a backup QB unless your Foles, or Bellicheat is your coach.