• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmoon6
    Legendary Zoner
    • Dec 2002

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Watched the Titans game yesterday and Fitzy was unbelievable. He avoided at least 6 sacks moving in the pocket, dumping the ball and running out of it. He took a beating after getting rid of it. He basically put the team on his shoulders for a comeback win. He has no bigtime receiver and Chris Johnson was basically neutralized.

The point is that Fitzy was dismissed in Buffalo by many fans, but he seems to me like exactly the type of player that WNYs used to embrace. Tough, gritty with tons of heart. He may not possess a great arm or some of the measurables, but he is a player.

Makes me wonder why he was hated and why he was released. He would have been the perfect mentor for Manuel. I know his contract was probably too big and Marrone wanted to sweep the remnants of the old regime away and start anew, but damn, that was a great performance.

It seems that rumors of his demise were premature and the Titans are currently in the final Wild Card position.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick

I don't think anyone hated Fitz, his arm simply wasn't good enough. He's a great role model, a hard worker and good dude, but he simply couldn't stretch the field when teams dared him to. I wish him nothing but the best. It was great to see him play well yesterday.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Jry44
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
      Watched the Titans game yesterday and Fitzy was unbelievable. He avoided at least 6 sacks moving in the pocket, dumping the ball and running out of it. He took a beating after getting rid of it. He basically put the team on his shoulders for a comeback win. He has no bigtime receiver and Chris Johnson was basically neutralized.

The point is that Fitzy was dismissed in Buffalo by many fans, but he seems to me like exactly the type of player that WNYs used to embrace. Tough, gritty with tons of heart. He may not possess a great arm or some of the measurables, but he is a player.

Makes me wonder why he was hated and why he was released. He would have been the perfect mentor for Manuel. I know his contract was probably too big and Marrone wanted to sweep the remnants of the old regime away and start anew, but damn, that was a great performance.

It seems that rumors of his demise were premature and the Titans are currently in the final Wild Card position.
      The thing with Fitz is that when there is no pressure on his shoulders of being the franchise guy, he balls out. He did it in 2010 when he was throwing the ball all over the place. And he was doing it up until he signed that big contract and had the pressure of living up to it. Then he went down hill by trying to do too much. His arm strength was exposed, he turned the ball over and so on. He can ball out now because he knows that the Titans are still Jake Lockers team. I agree, I watched him a few weeks ago and thought the same thing initially. However, he's just not a franchise type player when high expectations and pressure are heaped upon him.

Comment

• pmoon6
        Legendary Zoner
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
        The thing with Fitz is that when there is no pressure on his shoulders of being the franchise guy, he balls out. He did it in 2010 when he was throwing the ball all over the place. And he was doing it up until he signed that big contract and had the pressure of living up to it. Then he went down hill by trying to do too much. His arm strength was exposed, he turned the ball over and so on. He can ball out now because he knows that the Titans are still Jake Lockers team. I agree, I watched him a few weeks ago and thought the same thing initially. However, he's just not a franchise type player when high expectations and pressure are heaped upon him.
        I didn't mean we should have kept him as the franchise guy, merely a bridge to the future. The intangibles that he possesses are hard to teach except by example.

Comment

• Bangarang
          • Sep 2010

He wasn't hated.

He was cut because he refused to restructure his contract and he was more than likely going to be taking a back up role.

Fitz had a good game yesterday but he also had good games for us. He's currently 1-3 for the Titans as their starter and was 19-31 as ours.

Short term, Fitz is a good guy to have. But, as he's proven for us, you do not want him starting a lot of games for you.

Comment

• Bangarang
            • Sep 2010

I didn't mean we should have kept him as the franchise guy, merely a bridge to the future. The intangibles that he possesses are hard to teach except by example.
            That's fine but you don't pay a guy $8 million to sit on the bench and be a teacher. It's not as if we didn't want him to stay.

Comment

• Jry44
              • Apr 2013

Yeah, if I remember right, I think they wanted to keep him if he was willing to restructure his contract, but he wasn't willing to do that. We might have had another win or two if he had been willing to stay.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bangarang View Post
                That's fine but you don't pay a guy $8 million to sit on the bench and be a teacher. It's not as if we didn't want him to stay.
                Exactly. The Bills asked Fitz to take a pay cut but he refused. The Bills had no choice but to cut him.

And if he had signed with a team other than the Titans I would have wished him well, but I hate the Titans almost as much as the Pats*

Comment

• pmoon6
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Bangarang View Post
                  OK, I didn't remember the details of his departure, but I said in the OP that his contract was probably too big. There would have been nothing wrong with keeping him as the starter while Manuel prepared for the future.

Of course, a QB that never played more than four straight games was assigned that task and I would have heard the shreeks from Buffalo all the way here in Colorado had Fitzpatrick stayed.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Fitz would have been perfect for the no huddle but he didn't want to stay because he didn't have the balls to compete with a rookie for the starting job.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• pmoon6
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                      Fitz would have been perfect for the no huddle but he didn't want to stay because he didn't have the balls to compete with a rookie for the starting job.
                      HaHaHa. I think Fitzy's balls probably outweigh your entire body.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

HaHaHa. I think Fitzy's balls probably outweigh your entire body.
                        I don't hate Fitz but it's the truth. He didn't want to restructure and didn't want to start all over and compete for the job. I was hoping he'd succeed here but his arm was just weak.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jimbuktu
                          • Oct 2004

Love Fitz. Still do. He ain't gonna take you to the promised land though. He's like the PERFECT back up quarterback though. Would have loved to see him in there for us when EJ went down. We come out with AT LEAST one more win, maybe two being Cleveland and KC.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                            I don't hate Fitz but it's the truth. He didn't want to restructure and didn't want to start all over and compete for the job. I was hoping he'd succeed here but his arm was just weak.
                            I'm sure the Bills offered Fitz an incentive laden contract based on games played.

With the injuries the Bills had this year, I think is is probable that Fitz would have made more money had he stayed in Buffalo, but his EGO no doubt prevented that from happening.

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              I'm sure the Bills offered Fitz an incentive laden contract based on games played.

With the injuries the Bills had this year, I think is is probable that Fitz would have made more money had he stayed in Buffalo, but his EGO no doubt prevented that from happening.
                              Shame on him for not wanting the benefit of the bargain the team gave him two years ago.

If anyone deserves criticism it is Buddy Nix for giving Fitz that outlandish contract when there was absolutely no reason to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍